potty training--or, I miss diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2003, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So last week ds tells us that he wants to wear underwear and not diapers. We knew it was coming soon, he'd been giving us signs. He's been in underwear for almost a week now, and I'm still having to put him on the toilet every 30-45 minutes just in case. He won't tell me when he has to go (he did before when he was in diapers, sometimes) but he'll usually tell me if he's had an accident.

I am totally new to this and could use some wisdom from other parents who have already done this (or are doing it).

I feel like he's not actually learning when to go potty (in other words he doesn't tell us when he feels he needs to go, and so I'm not sure if he can tell, although he used to be able to sometimes). I guess i'm concerned that he's going through the motions without actually learning anything.
Anyone know about how long it can take for a child to tell you when they need to go? Is this all normal? He has about 4 accidents a day.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2003, 07:24 PM

It took my second son about a month and a half to get down the timing - ie telling me before he peed in his pants that he had to go.

I think wearning underwear (though messier for sure) is better for them because they feel wet immediately when they pee - so they're going to pay more attention to it and therefore should train faster. Plus if he's asking to wear underwear and wanting to potty train I wouldn't discourage it.

We're still working on pooping in the potty for my almost three year old. He was doing really well - then he suddenly decided he didn't want to poop in the potty or diapers and refused to poop for three days until he was making himself sick - I finally convinced him to at least poop in a diaper.

Isn't potty training fun!
Old 04-30-2003, 12:40 AM

Well, my boys (twins) are nearly 3 1/2, so this might not be too helpful. However, what I did was I spent about a week, give or take a week, with them running around the house without a diaper or underwear. Then when we went someplace I put them in diapers, until they said they wanted underwear. We had accidents..... but we are a diaper free household!! YAHOO!

Good Luck.
LoriAnn
Old 04-30-2003, 02:51 AM

Moving this to Real Life with a Toddler...

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

User Tag List