No go with shoes and he's almost 15 months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-30-2003, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does it matter? I don't think so but my DH repeatedly tries to put shoes on DS and is frustrated.

DS hates all shoes and will not take a step if one is on his foot/feet. He will sit and cry and I think, 'this is not worth it'.

He is the only child at the park in socks. Only child who walks the neighborhood in socks.

I figure one day he'll wear shoes but who cares for now?

Btw, we've tried most brands, including Robeez and by far, the Robeez cause the greatest meltdown. I thought it was the other types of shoes that were too firm but looks like it's all shoes that are bad according to DS.

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-30-2003, 08:34 PM

and some will say its actually better for foot development.

as long as he isnt walking around in broken glass, i wouldnt worry. my ds didnt wear shoes much until recently and he is almost 2.5!

and...my ds is the only one at the park with no CLOTHES on, let alone shoes, lol!!
#3 of 12 Old 04-30-2003, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Your child is awesome! I love the image of no clothes. And you rock as his mama, obviously.

I love it.

Thanks for the affirmation. I have alot of people ask me why he isn't wearing shoes. If they only knew he was homebirthed, intact, unvaxed, cloth diapered and still breastfed and sleeps with us.
#4 of 12 Old 04-30-2003, 08:39 PM

I wouldn't worry about it at all. My son wouldn't wear shoes at that age either, any kind, he'd either take them off or not walk in them at all.

He's almost 2 now and has no problem with them, I think it's just a phase, that little toddler people go through.
#5 of 12 Old 05-01-2003, 07:00 PM

awww, thanks frogertgrl. (im blushing)

i just try to take his lead in stuff. and truely, shoes are NOT a big deal. and neither are clothes. although, this coming summer, ill probably encourage more clothing (in public) since he is getting older and able to understand other kids' remarks. id want him in clothes to protect him from hurtful comments. and i think its a damn shame that it has to be that way. i think what im gonna do is make him some more skirts and a few dresses. he loves to be free and that will give him the most freedom, and be cooler for hte summer!
#6 of 12 Old 05-01-2003, 09:14 PM

My sons lack of shoes drove my Grandparents absolutely nuts. LOL. My mother, bless her, listened to me when I talked about healthy foot development and said that it made sense, but of course, my old ped (whom I miss terribly) said that shoes are only to protect feet from harm, and that he should be barefoot as much as possible. (For her, have a dr. say it is alright helped)

Shoes became a lot easier to put on him when, recently, we got some that fit right...had to spend $40 to do it though. He inherited my Fred Flinstone feet...wide and short. Now he is willing to wear them, but will still go ballistic if we try to put him in the "cute" shoes his aunt bought for him. He is still barefoot most of the time, but the playground within walking distance is littered with glass and cigarette butts, so it would be safe for him without shoes.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#7 of 12 Old 05-02-2003, 09:52 AM

Heck, I'm 28 years old and shoes are still a "no go" with me ! In warm weather months, I almost never wear them. I've been thus way my whole life. I actually am extremely uncomfortable wearing shoes in my house. I just don't feel "at home" with them on. I'm sure dd will be the same way, because I only put shoes on her if she will be walking over gravels or in a public place like a mall or restaurant.
#8 of 12 Old 05-02-2003, 03:45 PM

I am famous for not wearing shoes! So it is no wonder my kids don't either. DS is 5 1/2 and as soon as he walks in the house, the shoes and socks come off. Last year it was always a fight w/ my daughter to get them on, I gave up. I can ignore the looks from strangers and my friends and family are used to it. I say,
Go Barefoot!!
#9 of 12 Old 05-02-2003, 09:59 PM

I agree with what everybody else said about shoes not being that important, but just incase you go somewhere where you really think he should be wearing shoes, or incase you want a transitionial item to ease him into the world of shoes...

I know a lot of moms who buy their toddlers cheap cloth slippers with elastic at the top for 'shoes' and the kids seem fine with it, since they are soooo much like socks. They have them at WalMart.

Also, my DS was given leather mocasins as a gift when he was one, and he thought they were pretty cool shoes for a while. They were just very soft pieces of leather sewn together and tied around the ankle with a leather string.

By next summer, your DS probably won't care. I think it is just because they just barely get used to walking and then mom comes and tries to put these big akward things on their little feet! My DS was not big on shoes when he was one either!
#10 of 12 Old 05-03-2003, 01:46 PM

I found the best little moccasin type shoes called "Bobux" last week. They look sooo comfortable and aren't stiff like shoes, use a safe dye and several other things that I can't think of right now as I'm tired. I plan to use them for my next. They're built not to be kicked off but I think would give your little one protection that your dh might be concerned about and be comfortable enough for your child. They're made by a New Zealand company and I found them locally (in Lexington VA) but maybe they have a website.
#11 of 12 Old 05-05-2003, 12:32 PM

I wouldn't worry. We go barefoot most of the time indoors. And if he doesn't mind playing at the playground in socks....!!!!

Jennifer, it used to puzzle the older generation that my kids didn't wear shoes when they were BABIES. I am not a "naturalist" in other ways, but for me it was just an expense that wasn't worth it for us.
#12 of 12 Old 05-05-2003, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by frogertgrl
Does it matter? I don't think so but my DH repeatedly tries to put shoes on DS and is frustrated.

DS hates all shoes and will not take a step if one is on his foot/feet. He will sit and cry and I think, 'this is not worth it'.

He is the only child at the park in socks. Only child who walks the neighborhood in socks.
Thanks for any input!
Have you tried Bobux? They're a soft (almost sock-like) shoe that works for my DS3. He, too, hated shoes and winter was fast approaching. I have bought him two pairs and I LOVE them. They are soft leather and, if they get dirty (gee, really?), then you can throw them in the wash!!!! They have the coolest designs and they are super cute. I've got them for the DS2, DD, and DS3. Unfortunately, DS1 is too big for them, or I would've gotten him some, too! I think you can go to www.bobuxusa.com. The styles are soooo cute. They are made in New Zealand and they have some pretty stringent requirements. I found them at our Lactation Center here at San Antonio Methodist Hospital. They rock.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page