Planning a toddler's Birthday Party - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2003, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello mums, new & experienced!!

I wld like to start a thread to collect all ideas on planning/having a birthday party for a toddler. I collected some while planning for my dd's, coming up in a month, and will start off first. If you have some great ideas to share, whether it be regarding the planning, the running, the food, etc etc etc, please share!! I hope this will be a useful thread for all!

~ Timing: take note of your toddler's naps and schedule, and time party accordingly. Also is a factor in your budget and what sort of party you want- if you have it ard mealtimes, you have to offer more food, and contend with menu choices, so an in-betw time (say 3-5pm) may be better

~ People to invite: shd be kept below a dozen including accompanying adults, esp for a first party, as child may be overwhelmed by sudden increase number of pple in the house

~ Toys- put away precious stuff beforehand to reduce conflict. Put out toys that can be shared, eg blocks, legos, trains, etc

~ Food: check for allergies or special diet requirements in guests. Take note also how messy food will be if dropped or spilled, or confine eating to one area- a long table set up with napkins and stuff so all kids eat together, but then you may need to borrow high-chairs!!

~ Party hats: I have the idea to make some simple party hats on my own, then get assorted stickers. When the little guests arrive, they get a hat, and choose the stickers they want to decorate their own hats, I think this may set a nice tone for the start of the party!

~ decor- smth I need to think abt, how important is this really???

~ Cake: I plan to make my own, so will be testing quite some recipes!! I know there's a website called www.deliciouschoices where you can order vegan cheesecake

~ Games: I can't really think what games to play, as dd's guests will range from age 2-6, it may be too hot outside by then, but I will prepare bubbles, balls to throw around, Chinese yo-yo's, etc. When we had our Easter backyard party, we had bubbles, blow-outs, and turned on a turtle sprinkler, and the kids changed into the swim-suits & had fun. Wld also like some ideas for this!!

I think that's what I have so far..... if you have food, decor & menu & games ideas, do participate!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2003, 04:44 PM

for dd's party we had a pinata - very fun! easy to order, or if you plan ahead, you can make one.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:09 PM

Great idea for a thread!!
I think decor is very important b/c it sets the mood for the party. A few simple things can create a more party like atmosphere. Balloons are festive and each guest can take one home. You could have the kids all help decorate a banner that says "Happy Birthday." Make a poster or bulletin board with pics of the birthday child's memorable occasions over the past year. A cabana or gazebo type tent thing--not sure what it's called--basically, just poles with a roof to create shade might be nice. You can come up with a theme to make the party more interesting. Everyone can be invited to dress accordingly or you could provide some fun dress up stuff for guests to put on when they arrive.
For games, how about pin the tail on the donkey or some variation of it. Also, how about a maypole dance.
Don't forget music!!

User Tag List