Toilet training issues... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-02-2003, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an almost 4 y/o that won't use the potty. He knows when he has to go. He goes to Mother's Day out 2 times a week, and has no accidents all day. He is constantly having accidents at home. I've tried everything I can thinkof to no avail. any suggestions would help. I think his biggest problem is that he doesn't want to stop playing to go to the potty. We've even tried having him pee on the trees outside so he doesn't have to come in, he won't, he just goes in his pants(but never poops in them, just pees)
#2 of 4 Old 05-02-2003, 04:13 PM

Have you tried target practice? I've heard that with boys it can be a great game to put something like Cherrios in the loo and let him take aim. If it was a game he wouldn't have to stop playing to go, he would just have to switch what he was playing.

Another possibility is to talk to his daycare provider. Find out what works there. If you can do the same thing they do he might have better luck at home.
#3 of 4 Old 05-03-2003, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

We bought "Piddlers" at Target(flushable rice paper targets) and they were fun for about a day lol The mother's day out teacher started out bird dogging him, and now he just tells her when he has to go. I have started to set a timer and make him go every hour on the hour, so far so good. But he HATES to go, he argues and fights me all the way, saying, I don't have to go, I don't want to go. And he's not normally a defiant child, he's a really good little boy, this is so not like him. He's spending the weekend with his uncle and so far NO accidents?!?!?! I am at a loss here. I am thinking it might be some sibling rivalry(I have a 18 m/o dd) His ped, said he'd go when he was ready and this is normal for his age. I just want him to go, and don't understand why he won't, as he's done everything ahead of his age(walking talking etc etc) I guess it just boils down to the fact that it's frustrating lol And about the best I can do is wait it out?
#4 of 4 Old 05-03-2003, 09:24 PM

My 3.5 yo won't train either. He may be the only kid at the prom in a diaper and sucking on a binky. I feel like the MOther of the Year.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page