Is there such a thing as too much liquids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2003, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stopped giving ds milk a few weeks ago because of his eczema. I have noticed a drastic improvement in both his appetite and his eczema along with the fact that he drinks a lot more. He has a straw sippy that he has all day with water in it. It holds 14 oz and I refill it at least twice a day plus before bed. So I would say he is drinking at least 20 oz of water alone. If he takes a nap he wakes up cranky and he gets a treat of 6 oz water/4 oz juice and two peanut butter cookies while he snuggles with me on the couch. Sometimes he asks for more juice and I give it to him. I know they are only supposed to have so many oz of juice a day but some days he doesn't have any so I guess it all evens out. He has been taking a nap almost every day because of this. So I would say that he is getting at least 30 oz of fluid a day. Is there such a thing as too much? I am so glad that he likes water and he likes to have something to drink close by all of the time. He is having one or two more wet diapers during the day but I have noticed that his diapers are a lot better. I check him often so I am assuming that he just lets it all out at once. Anyone else have a super thirsty toddler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2003, 06:52 PM

dd went through a stage of water gluttony. we were glad at first but then it seemed like a nervous habbit and our naturopath said that excessive water intake can flush minerals and nutrients from the body and someone else with a degree in nutrition said it can overwork your kidneys. i was changing diaper so often though, it was rediculous. sounds like maybe your ds is a bit different. i dont know how much is too much exactly, but 30 oz, (what is that, 3 cups+?) doesnt sound crazy to me.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:52 PM

I read somewhere they are supposed to have at least 4 cups of fluids a day, and that's 32 oz. That is half of what adults are supposed to drink. Most people don't drink enough water. I have a very thirsty toddler too. She drinks at least 35 oz a day. Too much water is not good, but think 30 oz is fine.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:20 PM

30 oz sounds just about right. Maybe a little more than most babies get, but certainly not abnormal.

It takes an awful lot of water to cause your body problems. I mean, a LOT, well over a gallon a day, waaaay more than your son gets. If your son was that thirsty I'd worry about diabetes, but the 30 oz sounds completely normal to me. My kids drink at least that much, since they have 10oz cups that I refill a couple of times a day.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 05-06-2003, 12:35 AM

We were also limiting juice by diluting tremendously, but DS was asking for cup after cup after cup of it, so that it was adding up to lots in a day. Also, he was wetting through his diapers and onto his clothes in less than an hour even with a hemp doubler. So this past week we cut out juice except for mealtimes and not only have we kept up with the diapers, his diaper rash is doing better (I think it was the juice). But he isn't drinking as much water as he was juice-water...

User Tag List