how many words does your 14-18 month old say? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 94 Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rachel is 18 months, and says lots of things. She'll try to repeat pretty much anyhting i ask her to, and she says lots on her own too. She' sjust starting to say phrases.

Her first word was kitty, at about 8 months.

I think there is a wide range of normal, but I'd be tlking to her dr. about at her 18 month check-up if she wasn't talking yet. In fact, I am planning to ask him if i'ts ok that she doesn't say many 2 syllable words yet.

My friend's 2 yr old is starting speech therapy as she doesn't talk yet, just says a few words.
#62 of 94 Old 12-28-2006, 12:30 AM

let's see...she turned 14mos yesterday

hi
bye
mommy
dad
cat
bear
yeah
no
mine
mahmah(for milk)
dora
backpack
boots
night night
what?
hello
Idunno
wassat?
this
more and does sign
allgone and does sign
nose
teetee(christi)
bah(sophia?)
Ahaa(alyssa?)

wuby(ruby from max and ruby)

peesa(princess-the cat)

that's all I can think of right now
#63 of 94 Old 12-28-2006, 12:32 AM

I seriously lost count. Lana is 15 mos has been an insanely vocal baby. I want to say somewhere near 50+ words, but I stopped counting.

I know friends who's babies are a couple of months older and only say 3-4 words :

I think eventually they all catch up! :
#64 of 94 Old 12-28-2006, 02:52 AM

DD is almost 17 months and has just started to say "hi", occasionally says "mama", "ak-ak" is quack quack (her word for duck), we just figured out that "ah-ga-ga-ya-ya" means "I want that".

That's it- she has several signs but has recently stopped using them.

DS was speaking in short sentences at this age- what a difference!

Earlier this month I was considering taking her to EI to get checked out bc she wasn't even babbling. Now she's finally started to babble a little. I may still have her checked out if she doesn't start vocalizing more.
#65 of 94 Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 PM

I have a baby girl that is 16 and a 1/2 months, she talks way to much she say mommy,daddy,no,thank-you,mine,cheezies,kitty,wayne,justin,nana,grandpa, hi,bye,hello,molly(thats her aunties kitty)chico(is the name of her dog),mama,oops,ouch,hot,if u aske her what dose a kitty say she say meow meow and she also knows what a cow says,baby,she coppys alot of words we think all together she can say about 29 words. her dad and i spend alot of time with her we are aleays talking and she stays home with me while her dad gose to work so i think thats why she pick up some much stuff she is just way to smart.
#66 of 94 Old 01-03-2007, 02:07 AM

DD had hardly any words at 14 months--pretty much mama & dada plus some signs (milk, cat, more, eat, maybe a few others.) At her 18 month birthday I counted that she had 15 words (plus a few more signs). I was becoming a little concerned (she has a tongue tie & seemed to really be having trouble forming sounds) so I really started specifically working with her on it, trying to get her to repeat words I said ("Can you say bird? Biiirrrrdd?"). Perhaps it's just coincidence & she was ready for a language explosion anyway, but during that month of more 'focused' practicing she got a ton more words--up to about 60 by her 19 month birthday, including beginning to use some 2 word phrases.
#67 of 94 Old 01-03-2007, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555Baby View Post
DD had hardly any words at 14 months--pretty much mama & dada plus some signs (milk, cat, more, eat, maybe a few others.) At her 18 month birthday I counted that she had 15 words (plus a few more signs). I was becoming a little concerned (she has a tongue tie & seemed to really be having trouble forming sounds) so I really started specifically working with her on it, trying to get her to repeat words I said ("Can you say bird? Biiirrrrdd?"). Perhaps it's just coincidence & she was ready for a language explosion anyway, but during that month of more 'focused' practicing she got a ton more words--up to about 60 by her 19 month birthday, including beginning to use some 2 word phrases.
Hmm... That is interesting. Alex is almost 15 months and really doesn't seem to talk much. She HAS said a lot of words, often very roughly and HAS done a lot of signs but she doesn't maintain them. At this point (last few weeks), the only words she says regularly are dis/dat and cat and the only signs she regularly uses are dog and baby (ceiling fan died a long slow death). I don't really buy that I don't talk to her enough--I talk to her, play with her, and read to her all day and her understanding of the things I say to her is excellent. Do you have any other advice (links, books, etc.) on how to do this focused language practicing?

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#68 of 94 Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 PM

my DS will be 14mo tomorrow and says mama. that is it - unless you count that he says "nuh nuh" for "hungry"

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#69 of 94 Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 PM

Luka is 12.5 mos. and says:
mama
mommy
dada
daddy
Rob (his dad's name)
kitty
duck
quack quack
woof woof
brother (bubbah )
nuh nuhs (nursing)
up
cracker
yum yum
more
uh-uh (for no... oops I shouldn't say that myself!)
uh-oh (which means "I just dropped something on purpose")
yes
shoes
hey
bye bye
hot

I think there are several more but I can't remember them. So 20-something? And he knows some signs, too. He nods and shakes his head to answer most questions, although he nods and yells "YESSS!" simultaneously when he's excited about something.
I am shocked because his older brother said maybe 30 words at 22 mos. and then started talking in sentences almost overnight. So I'm not used to a talking 12 mo. old AT ALL. He also walked 4 mos. earlier than his brother. Different kids!
#70 of 94 Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 PM

DD is just over 17 mos, and is a chatterbox-we wrote down all the words she says just the other day, and she has 70+ words, if you include things like "cah-cah" for "cracker", and she does about 15 animal noises as well.
The normal range for words at 14-18 mos is huge, and I think there are so many things to take into account. DD was an early talker (she had about 10 words at 10 mos), but she didn't pick up any new words (at least that she used) between 10-13 mos; however, she did get 8 (more) teeth in this timespan!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#71 of 94 Old 01-10-2007, 10:39 PM

Ball.
He'll wave and say baba for Bye.

Yup, that's basically it. Everything else is baby gibberish.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#72 of 94 Old 01-11-2007, 02:23 AM

Ds2 is 14 months. His words so far are:

Dog
Cat
Bird
DaDa
MaMa
Ball
Block
Bath
Belly
Eat
Ear
Bye
That

He has more but that's all I can think of for now. I know that he talks much more at this age than my older two kiddos did. It's amazing and wonderful how different each child is, isn't it?

A happy woman
#73 of 94 Old 12-27-2008, 03:09 PM

My baby says in sentances!No i dont want to, here you go Isaiah, sister desiree oh yea momma dada wait i gotta go!Minethats all i can think of right now
#74 of 94 Old 12-27-2008, 03:12 PM

I think he said mama and dada and he could sign a couple dozen words. He really started talking at 24 months. His doc was not concerned.
#75 of 94 Old 12-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Oh, just wanted to add that his doc counted words, animal sounds (when used to name the animal), invented words (when used consistantly to name one object) and signs as words.
#76 of 94 Old 12-27-2008, 03:42 PM

dd1 had a ton of words at 14-18 months, but dd2 was a little bit of a late talker. She is 2yrs 3 months and she just started talking up a storm.
#77 of 94 Old 12-27-2008, 04:02 PM

DS is almost 19 months and just started saying a little more. Right now his words are mama, pa, uh oh, woof, ball, boo (book), what, mo (more), and na (no). I think I have heard hot and what's that, but not sure. He babbles a lot and understands a lot of what we tell him. Most of the words came in the last month or so.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#78 of 94 Old 12-27-2008, 04:11 PM

at that age my ds pretty much only said "mama".. right at 2 y/o he started talking and now at 2.5 says pretty much everything and in full correct sentences most of the time.. he is a chatterbox..

~Jaclyn~ Mama to Lucas Wyatt born 5-3-06
#79 of 94 Old 12-27-2008, 07:14 PM

Let's see... Dd is not a huge talker but says the following every once in a while...

mama
dada
good girl-- sounds like guh gul
hi Violet (dog)
Where dada go?
Go
Bye-bye
What's that?
Whatcha doin'?
"ce" for ceiling fan
"bah" for banana
more
hi
uh-oh
all done

That's all I can think of. I think she might say duck now and again too, but I'm not sure.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#80 of 94 Old 12-27-2008, 10:27 PM

DD is 12 months and has a vocab of about 50 words (mostly Spanish, some English) - I counted her words at 9 months and she was at 18. Her only phrases she can say right now is 'Dit Down!' (Get Down!) 'Bing it!' (Bring it!) and 'I laaaaaahffff youuuu' (I loooove you!).
That's enough for this mommy!
#81 of 94 Old 12-28-2008, 12:25 AM

my dd just turned 14 months and she has a total of around 50 signs/words/consistently-and-appropriately-used-sounds. it seems like every day i am writing down another word/sign that we didn't know that she knew.

mama
dada
milk
water
wet
dry
hungry
cold
hot
flower
eat/food
apple
banana
pear
grapes
crackers
cheese
bread
cat
dog
bird
owl
fish
sleep/tired
baby
boy
girl
cereal
bye bye
time
brush
cry
bed
book
diaper
eyes
nose
booger
mouth
ears
bee
star
shoes
socks
bellybutton
eyebrow
up
down
peepee
poopoo

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#82 of 94 Old 12-28-2008, 02:05 AM

DS is 17 mo and he says about 50 words.

He'll learn a word and say it a ton for a week or two and then he won't say it any more. Is that normal?
#83 of 94 Old 12-28-2008, 12:32 PM

ack, i feel like a bad mama. i have no clue how many words dd3 says. she had about 25-30 words when she turned a year -- which the ped said was a lot more than typical -- and at 18 mos old has a lot more. definitely in the hundreds, but i don't know exactly how many. she has a lot of two word phrases and has started speaking in short sentences. she's quite chatty. i figure she's just trying to keep up with her big sisters.

fwiw, dd1 only had a handful of words at 18-mos but was speaking in sentences stranger could understand by 20-mos. it all varies.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#84 of 94 Old 12-28-2008, 12:48 PM

15 month old DD can say
Dada
Yeah
No
Hello
Bye
what
Fred(dogs name)
Shuttup
Quiet
Oh Oh
oh dear

she also babbles incensantly like having a convosation but i dont understand a word she says.

its so funny. last night someone out side shouted, went in their house, shut the door, Evie, in our livingroom walked to the window and yelled "quiet, blah babble blah, babble babble blah blah shutup" like she was telling them off for being noisy
#85 of 94 Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 AM

A lot of kids have a big explosion in their acquisition of words right around 18 months. So in the 14-18 month period you will find a very very wide range numbers of words being used, just as you see in this thread. And it is all normal.

DD is 16 mo and we've seen such big changes in the last couple of months, from a few words and signs to over 50 words and signs and a couple of one-off sentences ("ball away" and "no no not do it"). She seemed to make progress literally overnight. So wherever your kiddo is now, he or she could be doing something really different next week!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#86 of 94 Old 12-29-2008, 02:22 AM

my ds will be 15 months on the first, and while he babbles up a storm, he doesnt have a lot of actual words/signs. he says mama, dada, dog, uh-huh, hi/hey, na-na(nurse) and i think thats it really. there are a few that might be words, or might be sounds just said at the right time on accident, but i cant remember what they are. his only sign is milk, but ive seen him sign "thank you" and "more" once each. hes at the point right now, that we think hes going to start talking really soon. and signing too. he recognizes a ton, but he just started pointing and clapping and all that stuff that comes before getting the signs down

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#87 of 94 Old 12-29-2008, 02:39 AM

Hmmm... 14 mo DS says:
Mama
Dada
Evie (DD)
Dayday (Dayna the dog)
Hi
No
Yes
Baby (for himself usually, sometimes for another baby)
Jazzy (sometimes for himself, usually repeating me I think)
That
Ball
Light
Book
Doll
Car
Ding (for the bell ornament that rings)
Nana (for nursing)
Bite (as in "Look, I bit the nursie! No? Not funny? Really? Pleeeease can it be funny? Look, I'm smiling about it! No? Waaaaaaaah!")
Na? (for "can I eat this?" Maybe he's trying to say "No?")
Num (for solids)

And this morning, I said something about a picture of bubbles in a book. He looked at me, puzzled, said "Buh? Buh? Buh?", pointed up like he was holding a bubble wand, and went "whooooooo" like he was blowing bubbles! I got out the bubbles and blew some for him and he clapped and did his little "victory dance" as if to say "yay! I was understood!" (Usually the little backward victory dance signals, "hey, I made it into sister's art area where I'm not supposed to be" or "I pushed the bathroom door open and prevented dad from having privacy on the potty! Hooray for me!")

And he pushes the volume button on the phone, which makes it ring, then holds it up to his ear and has long babbled conversations with "DaDa"

That makes what, 20ish I guess. Most aren't understandable by people other than DH, DD, the sitter, and me though.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#88 of 94 Old 12-30-2008, 08:15 PM

my son is 18 months and doesn't say any words at all. (he has a number of developmental delays and medical issues.) He almost never babbles, either. His doctors are fairly certain there is a neurological cause for his lack of speech (he also can't chew or move food in his mouth). He is cognitively age-appropriate to advanced, and interestingly, he is experiencing a language explosion in signs right now! He's added about 10 new signs in the last 2 weeks, and is signing sentences (thank you, mommy and more food, please).
#89 of 94 Old 12-30-2008, 09:08 PM

My DD is 14 months old (yesterday!!!) she says Mama, Buh-Buh (brother), Dada, Cat (dat), bye...that's it....she's not a huge talker...she's more mobile than verbal.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#90 of 94 Old 12-31-2008, 02:05 PM

DS is 15 mo tomorrow and says

shoe
sock
tree
dada
mama
cheese
cuggle (cuddle)
tea
no

and makes the approximate sounds for:
dog
ball
cup
flower
baby

He only signs 'milk' but I've not been that consistent with the signing and have mostly stopped bothering now that his verbal comprehension is so good. so...about 14 words! Amazing how the amount seems to vary according to this thread. He's just started to say more and more in the past couple of weeks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page