how many words does your 14-18 month old say? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some of my kids were late talkers, so just for perspective, could you tell me how many words your 14-18 months old says?
#2 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 06:12 PM

My 16-month-old boy says mama, dada, go, this, that, banana. So, six, I guess. Oh, and Adam.

Kimberly: blogging wife to Todd and work-at-home-struggling-with-work/life-balance adoptive mama to Adam (2005) and Leah (2008)
#3 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 06:21 PM

DS is almost 16 months and he doesn't say any words yet, as far as we can tell. He points, nods, and makes all kinds of noises that we can't decipher.
#4 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 06:28 PM

DS at 18 month old talks a TON! I tell him a word, he repeats it. It's strange to me. He started talking around a year old and won't stop! It's so cute. DD at that age though used sign language and some words. She didn't start using real words a lot until later than that.

All kiddos are different! They all learn differently. DD is more visual and DS is more auditory.
#5 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 06:31 PM

At that age none. He said Daddy every now and then but not regularly. He definitely was a late talker.

Single mom of 2 boys
#6 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 06:31 PM

My (almost) 14-month-old DD says:

Mama, Papa, Pappaw, Bubba, Doe-da (for Dora, her favorite), Deddy (for Jesse, my parents' dog), tat (when she sees a cat), cooka (cookie or cracker, interchangeably), wa-wa (water), ba-pa (backpack from Dora, or her brother's backpack), kak kak (when you ask her what a duck says), moooow (when you ask her what a cat says).

She also has three phrases now: "Idudeit" (I do it), "ah-ah ba-bo" (my mom says "uh-uh, bad boy" when the dog barks, so she tries to say it now), and "wookit!" for "look at it".

Both of my babes have been early talkers but slow movers.
#7 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 06:55 PM

17mo DS says: mama, dada, papa, bye-bye, hi, hello, okay, thank you, juice, please, no, yes, book, sister and ball. occasionally something else finds its way into his vocabularly but these are the things he says regularly.
#8 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 07:07 PM

dd just turned 15 months and has over 100 words and a few signs. she's a real chatter box
#9 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 07:15 PM

Mama, mama, mama, mama...mama!
Dada
Woof
Opan Dor (open door, if i'm taking a bath)

She has also out of the blue said two sentences

I like it. and Papa give me kisses. Both clear as day and wouldn't repeat it.

Oh and she's 14 months.
#10 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 07:22 PM

mama, papa, teta and various names of her playmates
nonno, nonna (grandparents)
agua water juice cracker banana apple pan (Spanish for bread)
ball shoe sock book
dog elephant (and lots of animal sounds: woof, meow, elephant horn-like sound, baa, etc.)
nose eye mouth ear hair teeth hat (and most of these in Spanish)
hi bye no please
box (the command we give to our dogs to get in their box-- it sounds like "bak" from dd, though!!)

Oooh, and I forgot our favorite: beso (she says it in English, too--kiss)

Yesterday she said her first sentence/phrase: "I fell" (after falling, of course!)

I think there are a few other words I'm forgetting. Of course she understands a lot more than she speaks.
#11 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 PM

DS (16 mo) says these words, some clearly and some are partial:
hi, hello, bye, balloon, doggy, kitty, pretty, mama, daddy, e-i-e-i-o, no, bird, what's that, and (very roughly) his name. By partial, I mean that balloon is ba-oo and bird is bir and what's that is wassah

Prenatal/Pediatric Chiropractor (Diplomate) , raising the next generation drug-free!
DS - CJ :, the love of my life
#12 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 07:38 PM

With my older two, I had stopped counting by 14 months, they talked so much. My oldest, in particular, was belting out several word sentences at his first bday party.

My current babe, though, isn't as much of a talker. He's 14 months and says : mama, dada, hi (sometimes), na-nin (his attempt to say DD's name), num (nursing), nigh nigh (for sleeping, or just for the bed) and that's about it. Oh, and go.
#13 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 07:59 PM

my son talks a ton too. I stopped counting around 16 months. He has two sentences now and they are very clear - 'Mema(me), spot(the dog) Jojo (himself) go for a walk', and 'turn it on'. I read to him a LOT. I think what really made a difference is that my husband was home a lot for the first year and we talk a lot too. I also am constantly talking to Joseph and explaining things, but really just because I think it is fun. Probably Joseph talks a lot because it runs in the family.
#14 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 08:29 PM

Paddy can say dada, mama, flower, light, his name ("addy"), baby, book, and mumbles a lot and imitates sentences. We've caught him saying "excuse me" and "that's nice!". Oh and he also says poop after he's pooped. His words however are quite random. He will say one and might not say it again for a long time. I had him out in the yard and he pointed to a dandelion that had gone to seed and said clear as a bell "FLOWER". Come again?!?!? He's getting there.
#15 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 08:53 PM

My 15 month old (today!) doesn't say any "real" words, but chatters a lot, does about a dozen signs, and communicates very well. I usually don't have trouble understanding what she wants or needs, so I think she just doesn't feel the need to talk. She has said nana for banana, baby, mama, mommy, and daddy, but hasn't repeated them.
#16 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 09:08 PM

17 months and has 21 words, mostly same words he's had for a while though

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#17 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 09:15 PM

My 16-month-old says:
Mommy
Tattie
baby
nice
bye and bye-bye
duck
hi
nappy
doggie
poopy (I guess this doesn't count, she only said it once but it was super clear.)
NO!!!!

We ec and she just recently started saying "potty" and her first sentence "Go potty." When she says "potty" it sounds more like "pie", lol.

I know she's says other things, too, but I can't think of them. My kids seem pretty average verbally to me.
#18 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 PM

Michelle's current words at 15 months:
dog
daddy
mama
papa (for Papaw and Grandpa)
Gree
uh oh!
Duh for Boo!
baby (baabeh)
shoe
light
stuck (will even say this one when she is in her crib for a nap and does not want to lay down and take one!)
hat
up
down
duck
all done
hi
bye
more (and sign)
(signs milk)
hello
book
drink
block
ball
up-down (on rocking chair/horse/swing/teeter-totter)
eye
bubbles
woof woof
meow
moo
vrrrrrrrrrr (sound a car makes)
bear
car
and I think dahdeh is Matthew

Her brother was saying just a few words (mama dada and dah (dog)) at this age. Both are normal kids.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#19 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dante is 14.5 mo and we just counted his words the other night - we could think of 42, so it's probably around fifty, plus a few (very few, I got lazy with this) signs. At this age, it's kind of pointless comparing the number of words kids say because it naturally varies so much. One doesn't talk at all, one speaks in sentences - both normal. Plus, there are kids whose vocabularies double within a few days.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#20 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 11:40 PM

Wow. 100 words? 50 words? I don't think my oldest had 50 until he was 2, but then he was a late talker, and so is my toddler.

My almost 15 mo old just said mama today clear as a bell for the first time (previously, it was mamamamamamama, and we weren't even sure at that). He also says 'guy' for bye and waves. I think he's saying dada sometimes, and maybe hola and goal (my sitter teaches him spanish stuff). Oh, he has started saying no, no, no, no - again from his sitter. He even has her accent.
#21 of 94 Old 12-21-2006, 11:44 PM

mama
dada
nana (banana)
cat
hi
sunset

and her favorite
"what's that?!?"

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#22 of 94 Old 12-22-2006, 12:20 AM

My DS says probably 25 words at 18 months, though I'd say 20 of those were in the last month or two, at 14 months he probably only said 5 (mama dada, wa wa, no, etc). His sister said over 250 at the same age.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#23 of 94 Old 12-22-2006, 12:30 AM
Banned

Our daughter just turned 18 months and says probably 400 words -- she is definately a talker (like her mama ) My dh and I are both *gifted* (according to who mandates such things) so I don't know if that has something to do with it. She also loves books and we read all the time -- she is stringing together 5,6 word sentences too.

There is such a wide range really. She talked extremely early, but she didn't walk until 14 months when all the other toddlers her age seemed to be sprinting

I like it (selfishly ) because it seems to cut waaaay down on frustration/tantrums etc because we can understand eachother (we signed with her too) --- but one of the downsides is that she talks from the minute she wakes up until the time she goes to bed --- take a breath honey ....
#24 of 94 Old 12-22-2006, 01:53 AM

G (15 months) has just begun to say some more words. The past four months or so he has mostly only said momma, daddy and cat, cat, cat, cat cat... Everything except me and dh has been CAT He now also says nana (which means nana the person or banana), duck, book, bubbee (bath), bird, babee (bottle). There may be a couple others but I think that's it. He understands WAY more words though and I expect one of these days his expressive language is just going to take off!

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#25 of 94 Old 12-22-2006, 04:17 AM

DS is almost 14 months and has said Hi a few times, we think he might be saying kitty, and he says uh-oh when he drops something. That's all we can decifer so far, but he's babbling ALL the time, so there could be some more words there that we just haven't identified yet.

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
#26 of 94 Old 12-22-2006, 09:48 AM

My 19mo says: mama, dad (sounds like da), bath (sounds like ba), bathroom (sounds like ba-mmm), maya (sounds like aya), hi, no, baby, backpack and map (the power of Dora and repetition I guess ). He makes cat and dog noises when he sees one. He has a sound for okay. He has also has a sound for thank you and you're welcome.

Otherwise, he points alot. He scrunches up his nose pointing at his diaper when he wants it changed. Brings me a pillow when he wants to nurse.

He also understands everything and if he gets hurt, he'll reenact it for us to be sure we know exactly where we should kiss him better.

I'm not worried because he understands us perfectly and can follow complex instructions. He's finally starting to look interested in talking because he wants to say more to us than please change my diaper and I want to nurse. Those needs he's been communicating very clearly for months so I guess he hasn't had to put words to those.

At that age, his sister Maya was talking in full sentences so it really varies from one kid to the next, within a family.
#27 of 94 Old 12-22-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
DS is almost 16 months and he doesn't say any words yet
this made me feel better -- ds is 13 months and not talkign I am NOT surprsided but it seems all 6 other babies fromhis birth class ARE talking, even theboy who i know talk later.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#28 of 94 Old 12-22-2006, 11:08 AM

Julia never had any words until almost 19 months. She's 27 months now and talks in complex sentences, so she caught up just fine.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#29 of 94 Old 12-22-2006, 12:10 PM

15.5 months.

Cat (her first word)
Mama
Dada
Brrrmmmm (vehicle)
Duck
Ah-bah (like Ah-choo for sneeze)
Tack (there are tacks in the wall in the bedroom she likes to examine)
Bye-bye
Yay!
Moo (for cow)

Plus a handful of other words she's only said ONCE (like "mouth").

As you can see I've included sounds (such as "brrrrmmm") as words, since she uses them consistently and appropriately.

She babbles sentences all the time, and I can tell her receptive language took a leap in the last month so she understands way more than she says. She also seems to understand some concepts when DH and I are talking to each other (such as saying "brrmmm" when we talk about whether we left a bag in the car, etc.). Can you tell she loves cars?

It's possible she's saying more than I listed, but I have a hearing impairment so I could easily miss some words. I've noticed throughout my life I have a very hard time understanding children.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#30 of 94 Old 12-22-2006, 02:24 PM

About 15 words for the past 3 months. His favorite thing to say "uh-oh" LOL

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page