Toilet training & cloth v. disposables ... - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: When did your child toilet train, and what kind of diapers?
Trained by 2, used cloth 7 100.00%
Trained by 2, used disposables 4 57.14%
Trained by 3, used cloth 6 85.71%
Trained by 3, used disposables 4 57.14%
Trained by 4, used cloth 0 0%
Trained by 4, used disposables 2 28.57%
Not yet by 5, but hopeful ... 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2003, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know MDC is skewed toward cloth users, but figure there must be a few disposable users here who might help with this ...

Is there a connection between the type of diapers and when toilet training happens?

There's a multiple-answer option on the poll, for those with more than one kiddo ...

Looking forward to input ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 05:17 PM

heres what i picked based on ppl i know

dd- by 3 used cloth
self-by 2 used cloth
sister-by 2 ysed sposies
friends dd-by3 used sposies

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 05-04-2003, 07:40 PM

Mine's not trained yet, 29 mos. and in cloth from birth. I EC'd with her for about 6 mos. but when she started walking she didn't want to stay still long enough to use the potty, so that was that.

I personally feel it has more to do with maturity and understanding than what kind of diaper is used. When the child reaches the point where they can fully understand how the body works, can have some control over it, and *want* to imitate adults using the toilet, then it will happen. I have learned with my own child that the more I try to encourage her to use the potty she fights hard not to. Even if I try to make it positive, she feels the pressure and resists. My dd can pee in her potty at will, asks for a diaper to pee/poop in if she's diaperless at the time and can hold it until I put one on her (or will go in the corner if I don't), and is starting to tell me when she wants to be changed. But for her, she just doesn't feel ready yet.

I've talked to people who have used both cloth and sposies and at least with those people they say it hasn't made much difference, they learn when they are ready. My dd hates sposies though. I put her in them sometimes if we get a free one in the mail or are on a vacation that's not cloth friendly and she always wants them off. I think they are too hot for her, and also get lumpy and heavy when wet. Cloth is wet feeling, but still breathable and certainly not lumpy and heavy.

Anyway, from friends and family:

Friend's son, trained at age 4 with sposies
Friend's daughter, trained at age 3.5 with sposies/cloth combo
Me, trained at age 3.5 with cloth
Dh, trained at 18 mos. with cloth
SIL, trained at 3.5 with cloth
Half sister, trained at age 3.5 with sposies
Cousin, trained at age 3.5 with sposies

So there you go.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 05-04-2003, 08:25 PM

well, i used sposies on dd#1 13 years ago and she potty trained at around 2 1/2 - but i did potty "training" back then and basically trip trained. i was working full time single mama and thats what i did.

zoey is 33 months and just completed night time potty learning. She was day learned by 2 1/2. she went from cloth diapers to cloth trainers to panties with lots of accidents but figured it out. we used pull ups at night cuz she refused to wear baby diapers anymore and the cloth trainers became baby diapers too, they were just too bulky.

she's been dry 5 nights in a row in pullups now and asked to wear panties to bed tonight so we're giving it a shot. hopefully won't have a wet bed in the morning . lol
Old 05-04-2003, 09:47 PM

i have only one child. he was using hte potty by 18 mnths and out of diapers by his 2nd bday.

but even tho i think its nice to say, cloth diapered kids use the potty earlier, i think it has much more to do with personality than anything.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:05 PM

My reply was for my daughter, who 'trained' a couple of weeks after she turned 2 (so I chose "by three"), and wore disposables.

My son is wearing cloth. He is 17 months old now. He has gone in the toilet a couple of times but it has been more like me knowing he is gonna go soon and thinking it would be better in the toilet than on the floor. We'll see when he toilet-trains. We're in no real rush. We weren't in any rush with our daughter, either; it was totally child-led and took less than a week. We'll just see what happens with our son.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

Old 05-05-2003, 12:28 AM

moving this to toddler forum...

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 05-05-2003, 12:57 AM

DD#1 wore sposies, pt by age 2, dd#2 sposies also pt by age 2 1/2. That however was 11 years ago, before pull ups. It was easy to get my girls interested in fancy underpants with ruffles. For the first few weeks of training I would put on a diap when they would fall asleep and panties in the morning. I hope to do the same thing with ds. I have mixed feeling about pull ups during the day. It seems that children feel secure in using them as diapers, and it prolongs the process. I will just try maybe super-hero, or whatever ds is in to underpants, and maybe a diap or pull up to bed.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:02 AM

With dd-used cloth exclusively-she(leading the way) trained by 22mos.

With ds-we've jumped back and forth-he is almost 22 mos-and there is no sight of training.

mamapoppins
Old 05-06-2003, 06:17 PM

This is how I see it:

If you pee in a disposable diaper, you hardly notice any difference in how it feels. Why change your behavior?

If you pee in a cloth diaper, your pants are warm and wet, then turn heavy and cold.

The moral: It's more comfortable to wear dry pants, visit the toilet often, and save money and resources.

User Tag List