Anyone else have a toddler with dark undereye circles? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so tired of the comments, "She's so cute but what's wrong with her eyes?" ARG. Can't you just leave it at she's so cute? Yes, I'm aware she has circles, and no I'm not entirely sure what's the cause, but jeez.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 04:11 AM

DS has them. He has seasonal allergies, and his are called "Morgan's Lines" or "allergy shiners". Does your DD have allergies/asthma or anything like that?

ETA: It is a pain to always have them commented on, though, isn't it?
#3 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 04:15 AM

It may just be genetic. I don't know your family's background, but my father's side of the family is Puerto Rican and we all have dark circles. And while lack of sleep, unhealthy diet, smoking, etc. seem to make them worse, even a perfect lifestyle won't make them go away completely. They are already noticeable in pictures I have from when I was very young.
#4 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 04:25 AM

Both mine have had that. I have them as well so I figured they got em from me. :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 04:33 AM

DD has them, worse when she is sick or really tired.
i think they MAY be due to an allergy. just not sure what yet.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#6 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well my mom says I had them as a kid, but I don't recall anyone ever commenting on them upon seeing me. I had a lot of allergies and asthma and had my adenoids out when I was 10. I'm thinking of taking her to an allergy doc. The ped has never said anything, but then again he only sees her when she's sick, so dark circles would be normal at that point (I guess).

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#7 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 05:55 AM

i had what looked like them as a kid, because I have deep inset eyes, mine flare up from the tinyest change in my sleeping habit or even if I rub my eye wrong.ds so far doesnt have them.
#8 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 06:08 AM

Dd and I have them too. She isn't a toddler anymore, but I was remarking on it last night and wondering about a food allergy aloud again.

Who knows? I have always had them too.
#9 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 06:46 AM

My dw has them, and it seems to be a genetic trait in her family. My ds has them as well (different biological/genetic families). He does have asthma, and we have sought for some time some kind of allergy explanation, but so far (even after an allergy doc and a few types of allergy testing, visits to a practitioner of applied kinesiology, and eliminating things from his diet), things remain unclear.

Anyway, I think ds is adorable. He is so handsome. I don't know if other people always see past the circles under his eyes and his slack jaw and drooling (he has low muscle tone, and also developmental delays). I totally get how upsetting that is. Everyone is always goo-goo-ga-ga over dfd who has a "gerber baby" look, but in my opinion, ds is about as handsome as little boys come but still gets maybe 1/8 of the compliments dfd gets.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#10 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 08:44 AM

My DD does not but I see a lot of kids with them at the nursery. I always thought that it was just that they don't get enough sleep. We live in Italy and Italian families tend to put their children to be quite late night.

Alternatively, it could be anemia. Does your DC eat meat? You can always get a routine blood test done to make sure that it is not this.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#11 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 AM

My 4yr old has them, and I was reading a bit about it the other day. In children, it is usually related to allergies or to enlarged tonsils or adenoids that interfere with breathing while they sleep.
#12 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
I'm so tired of the comments, "She's so cute but what's wrong with her eyes?" ARG. Can't you just leave it at she's so cute? Yes, I'm aware she has circles, and no I'm not entirely sure what's the cause, but jeez.
I have circles under my eyes and I always have, even as a child. My dd has them too, but they are pretty light like mine. They do get much darker when she isn't sleeping well or she is sick. I do wonder if they could be due to allergies.

No one has ever said anything to me about them though. I can't believe someone would say something like to you, and in front of your dd too . How rude! : If someone caught me on a bad day, I would be tempted to say something rude back like "You are so pretty/handsome, but what's up with your nose/hair/mono-brow/etc...". I guess that is not very mature of me and would set a bad example for dd though. Oh well, just ignore those folks. I'm sorry people have been so rude to you and your dd.

coolshine.gif

#13 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We all four have them, and we all four have food allergies, animal allergies, and environmental allergies. DS's asthma/allergy dr. says that dark undereye circles are one of the things she looks for upon first glance when assessing for allergies. She calls them "allergic shiners." My kids' get better and worse depending on allergy flare-ups, but mine are pretty much always there. I have more severe allergies than DH and the kids, though.
#14 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 12:33 PM

my ds has always had them too. Ok, not ALWAYS, but since he was about 2. He is quite allergic to dust mites, and slightly allergic to cats.

My dh also has them, and also has an allergy to dust mites. I'm pretty sure dd has the same issue.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page