May 2004 mamas finding happiness & fulfillment in the new year! (& maybe riches) - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2007, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a quick update - No baby yet, no turning yet. sigh.
The sickies are over at our house (phew) so maybe that's what is needed to clear this up. More chiro/acupuncture/moxi to do today.

Tomorrow is the OB appointment during which we'll explore external cephalic version. If that's a go, then we are trying it asap. We'll also go over vaginal breech birth vs. c-section recommendations and develop a plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 06:57 PM

lisa: thinking of you and alison... after up put E to bed tonight, can the two (three!) of you have a nice heart to heart and soul connecting long talk/being with one another time? i highly recommend it before welcoming another babe into the house.

we are doing fine. eating lunch right now while S is in the saucer, which he love, love, loves! M dipping chicken fingers in ketchup innumerable times. cute and annoying all at the same time.

heath: must go look up your last name now to see what name it wouldn't go with...

ok, must retrieve squeaker from saucer.

~claudia
Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 PM

hiya ladies :

not much for news except dh painted the baby room this weekend!!!!!! now if only we had a name so we could call it _____'s room. can't wait to put the crib together and move the changing table in there and all that fun stuff. the crib has been sitting in the hallway in pieces for about 2 months now which makes me : twitchy!

i bought babe his first little outfit yesterday. i think it will be the coming home outfit. i have an urge to buy newborn diapers too. i have an uncontrollable spending urge right now.....i need to get ahold of myself!!! : i need to visualize converting it to an uncontrollable saving urge it is *really* hitting home that i will be done working in 4 months. yipes. so crazy.

ok back to reconciling credit card transactions *yawn*

turn baby turn
Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM

Jealous. So tempted to start buying stuff for the sweetpea. It's just too early yet, you know? Sigh.

Ug- too many windows open, can't concentrate! I have my first subject interview tomorrow (and this is a direct result of my amazing meeting two weeks ago) and I'm busy tightening up the details of the interview and making sure I have all the paperwork in order. Too much going on! Not enough time to Nap! Must go pick up the lentil! Ack!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:09 PM

"too many windows open" is right! I need to work and cannot because I am a peabrain today.

I really like "turny thoughts and ferny thoughts".

So excited two of our may mamas will be birthing at similar times! (alison is a maymama too, albeit a nonposting one).

GREAT weekend, hectic Monday.

Pelvic: I adore knowing what's going on, want all the info I can get. Distraction (ie, talking) is good, although when the IUD was going in she was yakking and I was concentrating hard on breathing and relaxing and I wanted her to hush.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

I landed on the "bright" idea today (while I was out with the kids, thinking big birthy vibes toward Alison and Beth) that I will light my Ferny candle when one/both of you are in labor (if I find out, of course!). I'm thinking about y'all all the time... Lisa, if the baby *doesn't* turn, there are vaginal breech options in the Bay Area, no? (I remember having to explore that whole situation myself, but it may have changed a little in 5 1/2 yrs...)

Oh, I am so superstitious about buying things for my babies when they're still inside! I really waited as long as I could (not for the carseat, though). Somehow, hand-me-downs don't count for me, though... I'll gladly wash them and put them away, because they have good baby karma on them.

Hugs for MCSB and surviving this week.

Here's my ug of the day: L had a well baby appt today, and ack, she's *not* over 20 lbs (d@mn scale at home lied to me). She's 18 even, and she's doing a little slide on the growth curve similar to what Z did. With length, too, so I'm a tiny bit freaked out. Her stats will get checked again in 6 weeks. But she *is* eating (3 meals a day) and nursing like a champ, and she's not having any gross motor (or oral motor) issues that I can tell. I left a message for Z's old OT... I will feel better if she just comes a takes a look at her. My dh is very slender and has a small frame (though he's 6'2"), and I feel okay(ish) about the weight, I just want to make sure she is growing and developing okay [for those of you who weren't here 2 yrs ago, Z's curve flattened, then he lost weight--he had oral motor and gross motor delays, and had a nasogastric feeding tube to help him gain weight and occupational therapy to help him learn how to eat, crawl, walk, etc.]

And here's my sheepish duh... I think the flakes were from my shampoo. I washed my hair with some of my homemade castile soap and rinsed with vinegar, and my scalp feels a lot better and is *way* less flaky. : One thing I like about Mothering (the mag and the .com) is that I keep reading and stretching my parenting and NFL bounds. I think I'm ready to let go of shampoo.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
I think the flakes were from my shampoo.
:doh:!!!! whatta concept! I went no 'poo for a while, and really think it's the way to go. I now wash 1 or 2 x/week. :
Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 PM

KK---hope she can get out to give you a quick eval/assessment. It is a good thing that she is progressing with the food stuff or it sounds like she is? I know you say she is nursing like a champ and I'm not sure if that speaks to frequency or your perception of how well she empties? Just wondering if there maybe are some milk transfer/oral motor issues that haven't surfaced until now because her intake needs haven't been as great?? I would be freaked as well given Z's experiences, but now that you know I think you are just way more tuned in. Glad you have the old OT as a resource. Keep us posted!

Today was coldy, coldy and "snowy blowy flowy" according to C...I think that's in some book she has somewhere...leave it to her to remember. We had not even a half inch or so outside and she gets all perturbed that it melts before the day is through. Welcome to PA, kid! Maybe she needs a colorado or pdx field trip!

Sarah--I totally kwym about 2 going on 5. You guys are leaning towards unschooling, right? Do you do anything in that vein yet?

eta: EL...so excited that you have an interview coming up. I love being able to get a peek at your work process.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
Old 01-30-2007, 03:28 AM

No unfurling yet of the newest frond in the fern family. However, I lost a little bit of my mucus plug this afternoon, and yesterday at church I had an exciting 45 minutes of short but strong Braxton Hicks. I am starting to think this babe is an extrovert, and won't come out unless I give birth during a party.

Lisa, I am sending lots of good thoughts out to your family.

KK- It sounds like you have a good ballance of pro-activeness and not getting too worked up because things may be fine. The fact that you've gone through this before will hopefully mean that IF any help is needed, people will take you seriously. But I'm hopin' she's just growing according to her own healthy curve. :

HF- love C's expressions.

Sarah- I am wishing you a very LOW-KEY week this week.

EL- wow, it is so exciting that you are making progress towards your PhD stuff! I'm impressed that you are taking this on right now. I did train and become a Red Cross instructor this pregnancy, but that was in my high-energy late 2nd trimester, and really not on the same scale as what you're doing. Goooooooooooooooooo, Emily!

Jess- I am dealing with similar issues- REALLY wanting to buy stuff (most of which I've talked myself out of, thank goodness), really aware that baby #2 brings a whole bunch more expenses. Including $150 a month to put him on our health care plan. Argh. But health care is something our family is VERY thankful to have at all, so I'll try not to complain. (As in the bumper sticker, stop complaining and start organizing- universal health care is just good national policy, IMO). But anyway, glad you are getting the baby's room together. I just love doing stuff like that.

Claudia- ack! I can't believe S is old enough for a saucer! Where does the time go???

Juice- tee hee- turny thoughts and ferny thoughts.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 AM

Man, this lack of sleep thing sux0r.
Rowan was up every hour last night, he nursed way more often than usual, and woke for the day at 6. AM. :yawning:
He's watching Sesame Street, and I totally don't care.
I asked him if his ears hurt at all (to nip the possible ear infection in the bud!) and he said "no, I just not feeling well, Mama". Aww. We're staying home today (well, we're picking up my friend from the airport this afternoon), and he's missing music class tonight. We're both still in our pajamas and I don't see that changing much. Hehe.
He *did* ask for eggs and pancakes for breakfast this morning, which DH prepared for him (pancakes were totally microwaved! buthe hasn't touched them. I also made him chamomile tea & honey, and a fruit smoothie. I pull out all the stops when the kiddo is sick. I wish I could do more...sick babies are so sad.

Totally thinking ferny and turny thoughts out here! Let me know when to light that candle! I have a special one all picked out and anointed (because I'm witchy that way. )

Dude, I was just thinking about how Rowan is growing out of most of his socks and slippers, and getting too long for some of his pants, so I may have to go shopping soon! I don't have a new baby to shop for, but I can always shop for the one I have! Haha. I'm kind of sad that the days of sling-carrying are pretty much over. : and I have all these slings that I no longer use!
(hey, anyone need a Moby wrap? I'll sell it cheap! )
I want to find a way to reuse/recycle/keep the two hotslings I used the most when Rowan was a baby...maybe I'll make a pillow or something. i think Hathor had that idea.

Anyway, I totally need more coffee. I hope you all have a great day!
Wish us luck and no cabin fever today! :

(oh, in other news; Incubus (INCUBUS!!) is playing in Boston tonight and my friend and I were unable to procure tix. I am trying not to be too sad about it. They'll tour again. But they're one of my FAVORITE bands! And I have NEVER seen them live (except for one time at Lollapalooza). So anyway. I think we are going to do karaoke tonight instead. We promised each other we'd do SOMEthing fun if we didn't make it to the show. You know, fun to me=SLEEP right about now. Haha)
Old 01-30-2007, 12:48 PM

I would like both Fern and Lisa to post updates daily as we are beginning the stalking stage.

Renae, I am so sorry you had such a hard night!! What is it about these beasties? Hope R feels better soon. I had not mentioned it until now but hey--thanks for the christmas photo card! So nice to have a visual and yours is here in my office area.

I saw it at emmalola's house too.

gotta run paint myself for dancing for children today...
Old 01-30-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
not much for news except dh painted the baby room this weekend!!!!!! now if only we had a name so we could call it _____'s room.
We still have not painted a room in the new house. I think we are either waiting to know the gender or just lazy. You picked a blue color right? Eleanor wants the room to be blue but I can't imagine it (should it be a girl-blue or a boy-blue). I think we'll walk to Home Depot one day and let her pick the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmalola View Post
I have my first subject interview tomorrow (and this is a direct result of my amazing meeting two weeks ago)
See, you are such a rocking bad a$$! Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
"Pelvic: I adore knowing what's going on, want all the info I can get. Distraction (ie, talking) is good
Me too, I forgot to tell Sarah that, but I like detail to the point of teaching me to do it myself.

Quote:
Lisa, if the baby *doesn't* turn, there are vaginal breech options in the Bay Area, no? (I remember having to explore that whole situation myself, but it may have changed a little in 5 1/2 yrs...)

Here's my ug of the day: L had a well baby appt today, and ack, she's *not* over 20 lbs
Yeah, Alison's OB will do a vaginal breech if the circumstances fit the ACOG guidelines (small baby, tucked head, frank presentation, pelvimetry looks good, crash c-section available if needed, good doc) We'll talk about that option today. Honestly, I am finding it harder and harder to not think that a c-section is better than a vaginal breech in a hospital. The best choice here is the baby's and that is to TURN!

I am sorry you are dealing with questions about L's growth. I like what Fernitude said, that we hope she is just on her own healthly curve. s

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
Today was coldy, coldy and "snowy blowy flowy" according to C...
I love this. She is really amazing with words, Heather (remembering them, using them, being funny)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlefern View Post
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]No unfurling yet of the newest frond in the fern family. However, I lost a little bit of my mucus plug this afternoon, and yesterday at church I had an exciting 45 minutes of short but strong Braxton Hicks. I am starting to think this babe is an extrovert, and won't come out unless I give birth during a party.
Have you shared your birth plans? I recall you coming to peace about it but I don't know what the circumstances are going to be. If there is a party, I may not be able to make it. No matter, I am so hoping for a lovely unfurling. Maybe it's happening right now....or now....or, um now...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Faery View Post
[COLOR="Indigo"] I pull out all the stops when the kiddo is sick. I wish I could do more...sick babies are so sad.
You are so cute. Sorry that the little guy is sick.

Quote:
I would like both Fern and Lisa to post updates daily as we are beginning the stalking stage.

gotta run paint myself for dancing for children today...
Alright daily update - no baby, no turn, no labor. Alison has an OB appointment at 11:50 to discuss next steps and options.

Paint yourself?!??@ Cool. If you have not heard of the Michigan Women's Music Festival you should check it out. It's women only (largely lesbian) and awesome! Lots and lots of body painting and dancing.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Wow, that multi-quote thing is kinda annoying. Sorry.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Lisa, I thought you were queen of the multi-quote there for a moment! Until your next post where you kvetched about it. That music festival sounds like it roooocks.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Hey everyone-
So glad to hear updates of Allison & Ferny. I've got a candle ready to go, too.

KK-I ditched shampoo shortly after we moved to Colorado. For my curly hair, it only makes sense. I do use a leave-in conditioner on it that I put on in the shower (this would probably only work on hair like mine). I have to get my hair wet each day or it's a total frizz ball. I give my scalp a more thorough scrubbing (with conditioner) every 10 days or so and that keeps it from getting itchy. My hair is in such better shape since I started doing this regimen.

Heather-I love the stuff C says, too! They do have a good memory right now, don't they?

Sarah-I hope this week goes okay with dh gone. The business helps it go fast, at least. Oh, and re: pelvics. I like to be walked through the whole thing and told what's going on. I have such a phobia of these things, I actually tell my care provider this at the outset. I also tell them I don't mind if they remind me 10 million times to relax, because I need to be told that. In general, I prefer knowing more during these exams (even during the breast part).

Renae-sorry R is sick. It is sad when they're not feeling well. Smoothies rock, though.

Last week was icky, mamas. I threw up four times (and once was unfortunately in a public restroom in Safeway). I had an accupuncture appt. yesterday and was feeling pretty okay, but ended up losing it right before I went to bed. Perhaps it was a last release of toxins or whatever, I don't know. I have another appt. on Thursday and hope it takes care of it. We're flying to Austin next week and I really want to feel better before traveling!

Okay, on to happier baby news: we had our first midwife appt. last week and it went well. My uterus is growing just as she'd expect it to for my EDD. Our mw uses a hand-held doppler, but at this point much of my uterus is so far below my pelvic bone, it's tougher to get a good heartbeat. She also doesn't like to use the doppler for very long on a baby this small. So, our untrained ears didn't hear a definitive heart beat, but the mw is pretty confident she heard a couple beats and then the baby went out of reach. I wish I had something more concrete, but she reminded me that this nausea is pretty dang concrete! So, next month we'll get a better listen.

So much more to reply to, I know. But, I've got a boy to get dressed and diapered and a lot of laundry to do.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmalola View Post
Jealous. So tempted to start buying stuff for the sweetpea. It's just too early yet, you know? Sigh
yeah. i felt the same. i just bought the first thing and i'm 23w now. with isaac i didn't buy anything until 20w i think. definitely superstitious about buying things in the 1st tri.

Quote:
L had a well baby appt today, and ack, she's *not* over 20 lbs She's 18 even, and she's doing a little slide on the growth curve similar to what Z did. With length, too, so I'm a tiny bit freaked out.
i'm hoping it is just the normal slide. isaac was off the weight charts for the first 6mo (~105%). at 6 months he started descending and landed at 75% where he has stayed since about 18mo. my doc said bf babies tend to be really plump in the beginning and slow. i think his height may have shifted slightly but i can't really remember. like from 99% to 97. he's at 97% on height still. if you aren't seeing other things like the motor issues i would bet she's a-ok. a little paranoia just equals paying close attention though which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlefern View Post
No unfurling yet of the newest frond in the fern family.

I am starting to think this babe is an extrovert, and won't come out unless I give birth during a party.

But anyway, glad you are getting the baby's room together. I just love doing stuff like that.
so cute and yep - i really love the getting ready for baby thing because i know you don't do any of that once the babe actually arrives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Faery View Post
I wish I could do more...sick babies are so sad.

aww you're a sweet mama pampering that babe

Quote:
I had not mentioned it until now but hey--thanks for the christmas photo card! .
ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&L+1 View Post
We still have not painted a room in the new house. I think we are either waiting to know the gender or just lazy. You picked a blue color right? Eleanor wants the room to be blue but I can't imagine it (should it be a girl-blue or a boy-blue). I think we'll walk to Home Depot one day and let her pick the color.
i picked the ralph lauren color blue mesa. very calm and cool. it looks brighter than i thought but i like it. i think it could be a girl color too...the accessories would make the difference i think. my crib bedding is light green and white and i have beatrix potter pictures for the wall. so i am going really gender neutral anyway. i looooove picking paint colors (it was at homedepotbase but i didn't get the RL paint.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
Last week was icky, mamas. I threw up four times (and once was unfortunately in a public restroom in Safeway). .
oh man that sounds rough. i hope you've turned the corner!!!

i took isaac to my ob appt this morning. he loves going to doctors offices : my ob was unphased by the u/s big baby thing. he said it wasn't a good indication until after 32w or so. so no stress there. he's chill and that is why i like him.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Jacquie, it is kind of a "duh" thing that I just chug along with the same stuff that was okay in a humid climate. : I'm jealous of your curls, BTW. I'm so sorry you feel so ick. I *really* hope flying goes okay for you... I have always had a hard time flying with m/s (throwing up in random airport trash cans, plane bathrooms, etc.).

Lisa--I've always wanted to go to the MWMF. I think I'd be okay with a breech *after* a V birth. (I'll admit that I'm I'm cautious, perhaps too much.) I guess it would depend on my confidence in the caregiver's experience and technique. Is Alison's OB willing to wait till the last minute (eg, if she goes into labor) for the baby to turn? Still thinking turny thoughts.

Ack--$150/mo to add W to the health plan. Ouch. Newest frond--ha ha ha!!!

I have more experience mothering boys... the girls sounds soooo much more sophisticated than *my* boys, at least. Z's definitely 2 going on.... 3.

Thanks for the thoughts about L. I'm really not that concerned, except for the slide in length (what is the term for this? 2ndary whatnot?). I just want to be on top of things. Dh and I talked, and we're going to introduce meat. (I picked up some very crunchy turkey and buffalo today... I hope the vegan nuns grant an exception, because these critters had a super good life, according to the labels.) It helped Z, and with the food sensitivities/allergies, we're at that point again where the need for calories and more options seems more important. Heather, she seems to nurse very efficiently... nurses often, drains me pretty effectively (I'd say she is a better nurser than either boy--she has a powerful suck and drains me QUICKLY). She's pickier about solids than T was, but she *will* eat a decent amount of the things she likes. But she also does a couple of weird things with her tongue, and it takes a while to feed her. If she has a feeding problem, I'm pretty sure that it's not in the same vein as Z's was.

I've been looking at the decluttering/simplifying subforum, and woo.... I really want to dive in.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:58 PM

Lisa--just piggybacking on KK's thoughts...reminded me what was going through my head when E was breech and the C was looming...that I did want to be allowed to labor/go into labor before the C for the benefits of that on the babe and for bf'ing. But as E turned so will this wiggly one!!

KK--sounds like you're on top of things!

way overtired....

Old 01-30-2007, 08:50 PM

i just have to share as i was reading jacquie's post, i started reading the first paragraph about her curly hair turning frizz and then i looked away to grab a bite of lunch sandwich and turned back to continue reading and somehow i moved to a different paragraph, the one about pelvics, and i was like, huh? what is she talking about curly hair with her care provider for? and why is she calling her hairstylist a care provider? or why does have a care provider for G and why is she talking about hair with that person? and then i realized my error and i went back to the beginning paragraph about the curly hair and then continued reading in order and everything made sense once again.

lisa: how did alison's appointment go? still sending turny thoughts...

fern: got my candle all set to go, too. here's a virtual one in the meantime...

heath: sending you some restorative sleep vibes... :sleep:

KK's post about L reminded me that i haven't told you all about the latest weight update with S. as of two weeks ago, almost exactly 4 months old to the day, he weighed 13lb4oz. so he's fallen back a little, but he was sick a bit just before that and he's been battling a cold since then, too. am going to call the midwife and see if there's a time this week that i can bring him by and weigh him again on that scale again so i know if it's just his new curve or if there is something bigger going on. he still looks solid, no ribs showing like M had at this point in his life, he's still growing out of clothes, and he's still nursing every 1-3 hours with the occasional sleep stretch (daytime or nighttime) of 3-4 hours but more typically 2 hours, he's got plenty of poopy dipes and wet dipes. his head circumference is also growing, and his length is increasing, too. so i'm just being vigilant. but it worries me.

okay, so i introduced M to games on the computer (reading games at starfall.com) and now he wants to play them EVERY. TIME. i'm at. the. computer.

so now we must play a game while S is still napping.

ta for now, may-mamacitas.

~claudia
Old 01-30-2007, 09:36 PM

MWMF – we should totally plan a may mama trip to Michigan Women’s Music Festival! So amazing would that be.

Alison’s appointment went well. The OB spent about an hour with us (Alison, me and our doula) discussing all the pro/con stuff of breechiness. We are scheduling an external cephalic version tomorrow or Thursday at the latest – basically as soon as possible. It will be a serious medical procedure, but one that has a pretty good chance of working without problems. Alison’s fear is of a crash c-section so she’ll do an epidural for the version (both to relax her abdominal muscles and to be in place in case a c-section is warranted). Then hopefully the baby will be stable and head down and she can leave the hospital. If labor starts before Tuesday (regardless of position) then we’ll do trial of labor and likely aim for a vaginal birth. If no labor by Tuesday…it gets tough. She’ll be 42 weeks. In that case, she will likely end up with a c-section, but everyone is willing to take a wait and see approach. For now, we are focused on getting the version to work. The OB is really really great. She is totally willing to work with us on a radical c-section birth plan. She will do whatever is takes to avoid general anesthesia – Alison’s greatest fear. She is planning on doing this birth no matter what and above all, she’s honest with us. She won’t agree to a vaginal breech if she gets uncomfortable, but she will do it if things stay normal otherwise. I completely trust her and I am comfortable with her limits because they are hers and not her insurance provider’s. This matters more than I realized.

I am taking maternity leave from work as of today. Alison is just too worried about being home by herself and too tired. I am worried that her water will break and the cord will prolapse so it’s not like I am focused while I am at work.

I suspect that we’ll have a baby to hold by the weekend. And there may be a fern frond coming too! So exciting!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 PM

Lisa--thanks for the update! It sounds like you all are in good hands and have lots of options. Lots of positive energy headed your way!

TC--ack on the toddler games! C has thankfully forgotten about starfall for the moment! Hope you can get some reassurance about S! and about your post-merging skills!

Jacquie---hope the pukey ukeys leave you alone before too long!

Old 01-30-2007, 10:53 PM

Hi May Mamas!

I've slipped into the reading-but-not-posting habit, so I must break that. But I must say I've been thinking of Fern and A&L loooooooooots over the past few days. Lisa, I'm so glad you seem to be at such peace with the whole breechness and the bag of issues it presents. I'm still thinking turny thoughts, and I've got a candle lit tonight, on the eve of perhaps version.

Thinking, too, of L and S and their concerned and awesome mamas.

Katie's got some weird rash on her face, I think its post-viral, but its not really getting better after quite a few days. and she still is yeasty, but we moved to some big guns after other failed attempts, so cross your fingers. Over a week now of itchiness is enough for one poor kid.

I don't know if I mentioned how extremely funny the Tupperware story was, Els. I couldn't bring myself to use it again, no matter how clean it really got. So I'm wit'cha on that one. And I don't recall if I gave any comments on your ordeal getting back into Mexico. I'm soo glad you had the incredible kindness from the stranger. Stories like that give me chills.

Big hugs and kisses to you all.

And I hope Rowan's feeling better soon!
Old 01-31-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah'sMama View Post
I don't know if I mentioned how extremely funny the Tupperware story was, Els. I couldn't bring myself to use it again, no matter how clean it really got. So I'm wit'cha on that one. And I don't recall if I gave any comments on your ordeal getting back into Mexico. I'm soo glad you had the incredible kindness from the stranger. Stories like that give me chills.

: Sherri! You know, the tupperware thing IS funny, in hindsight. Don't get me started on her bringing over her poodle-canned-dog-food which she serves to her dog on a PLATE of mine, dishing it out with a FORK of mine, in that godawful slop...am I too anal? I mean, that IS gross, right?

It's been a helluva day 'round here. Full Moon.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
here's my parenting Sol struggle of the week:

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE OBSESSION FOR SWEETS AND TV????
Well, all I can say is that if you stay really consistent about time/place she can have them, she may eventually stop. But she may not. I sometimes make a game out of how many different intonations I can use on the word NO!
Seriously, kids just do that once they figure out what is good
Old 01-31-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
Hey now... you are apologizing in a "no apology zone". We here in MMF land, do not require, expect or otherwise desire apologies for choices you make.
:
Old 01-31-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Full Moon.

um, did she bring her dog?

STILL thinking turny thoughts and ferny thoughts, and have a mizillion other things to say (love the fern frond unfurling image) but it's been a helluva day here too, and it is more than an hour past my bedtime, so much love to the mmf and I'll see you on the upside, in the morning
Old 01-31-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post

My dilemma du jour....when to cut the nap?? She totally still needs it and will sleep 3-5ish, but then the past few days has been up til 11pm and still up at 7ish. Eek. Her behavior has been atrocious. What to do??
Can you wake her after 20 minutes to see if that is enough to tider her over and still go to bed on time. Would you rather have 2 hours of quiet in the afternoon or in the evening? J has given up the nap altogether. We were always getting N from school when she was ready to nap and then she would get woken up after 5 minutes and that was all the daytime sleep there was... She rarely naps now. And if you drop the nap then find an engaging activity that she can do semi-alone so you still get a quiet time (like books on tape though they are still a bit young- or listening to a special CD) J will play alone in her crib with no fuss so I am lucky that way.

Choices don't alway work here either. Patience does if I have the time. Turns out if I want my kids to clothe themselves I have to have the boiler for the house break and have it be freezing cold in the house. So that is always an option! As for breakfast, J says she want cereal in response to an open ended question. I fix cereal, then I fix myself toast for myself. J eats my toast. I eat granola bar later when I can't figure out why I am so hungry...
Old 01-31-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I'm procrastinating... I should be tidying, but I'm nak... T's having a couple of friends over after K (with their mom, who I really like, but she is so much more the wife material--esp. housewife--than I am... not a put-down, just a statement of fact that her house is *waaay* more together than mine... and she talks about how she likes to vacuum and dust while her boys are in K : ).
: I like to dust and vacuum too. But not mop or fold laundry. THen again, with the mega dust allergies around here I just learned to like that more than waking up to administer Albuterol and then being up the rest of the night with a hyper child. And I am not apologizing for the administering of Albuterol either.

Quote:
Pottying: I am definitely of the "no pressure" school. I ask once or twice, and that's it. You want a dipe, no problem (esp. for pooping). I have a few friends who went totally over the top with PTing, and their kids have had way, way, WAAAAY more accidents (sometimes multiple times a day) to a much later age (past 4 1/2) than they should (IMO), and I do believe that it was because it became a power struggle. The only things little kids have any control over is eating and elimination. If either becomes a power struggle, bad things happen (accidents, encopresis, unnecessary feeding issues).
At some point with N I felt such pressure since she was over 3 and I think that this is definately true. We did end up with power struggles over it. She was using the potty no problem at the daycare but then at home I made a royal mess of it. We had to visit my mom and I was ashamed that I had failed in this arena. I was a lot less confident in those days. J goes if she goes or not if she doesn't. Whatever!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:59 AM

...sits back down after lighting a candle for A&L+2... Lisa, you sound like you are much calmer and in a good place, and that is wonderful. I think it's so wise that you are taking off from work. Now your family can just be together over the next days as this whole birth process unfolds. It is SO GREAT that you have a level of trust in the OB. And that you know the OB will do the birth no matter what. I am feeling more relaxed about your family's birth just seeing how you feel about it.

Jess- along the same vein, it's funny how sometimes the person makes a bigger difference than the letters after the name. Your OB sounds great- exactly the person you need to support you through your pregnancy. I think that in GENERAL a midwife's training leads her/him to trust pregnancy and birth more, but obviously that's just not always the case, as your experience (and unfortunately mine) indicate.

Nuggetsmom- I am totally loving your approach to catching up . Taking it in small chunks and really being thoughtful. I on the otherhand just tend to give up if I get behind.

Sherri- hope K feels better very soon! I'm wondering if there is something bigger going on that ties the rash and the yeasties together???

I will have to come back later and do another post- dh needs me now.

Ta ta. Oh- and ps, no babe yet.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:03 AM

I was on an electron diet but now I am gorging I guess.

My MMF surprise came yesterday, right when I was feeling really low, and it was a great decorated MMF sketchbook with pencils and a ouch to put them in. Totally PURRRFECT!.. Love it. and the MM was TC
Now I will gorge myself on DDR since I am using electrons again...

User Tag List