May 2004 mamas finding happiness & fulfillment in the new year! (& maybe riches) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 412 Old 01-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Renae-I'm glad you liked the present! : I have to say, I was suffering from an inferiority complex, hearing about all the homemade gifties going around. I tried to pick out stuff that I find fun, but don't treat myself to often enough! So glad you enjoyed it!

I got a wonderful pair of hand-knitted half-gloves from Jacqueline (nugget). They are great but I will have to wait until it gets a bit warmer here! Right now, I need all the extra warmth on my digits I can get! Thank you!

Lisa, a for you. Sorry you're having to deal with all this at once. You will get through it! Vent here anytime.

Sarah-welcome back! Coming back from being gone is a lot of work! Take your time.

On the 2nd baby front-when did you feel your baby move? I could swear I've had a few flutters that could be baby movements, but I'm just shy of 10 weeks yet! Is that possible? I didn't figure out I was really feeling G until like four months. Maybe I'm just noticing more uterine stretching this time? I haven't had my first midwife visit yet, but should this month. Since we waited so long, I'm hoping to hear the heartbeat when we go....seems like that's possible around 10 weeks? (just with a hand-held doppler) We did decide on a homebirth midwife before Christmas, though. She's one of only two in the area, but we really liked her.

We woke up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning. I guess this means we won't be driving today (since dh's car is the one with front-wheel drive, and it's too much of a hassle to switch the whole car seat thing when I really don't have any plans.) We'll see if it will have cleared up by lunchtime so that we can run some errands. It's very frustrating having a pretty worthless (in snow) car in this state. If we didn't still owe 2 1/2 years of $$$ on it, we'd get rid of it in a minute.

Well, I better go eat something and soon. Happy Friday everyone!
#62 of 412 Old 01-05-2007, 01:02 PM

i felt flutters SO early this time. around that same time...10 weeks or so. i felt it mostly when i was driving and i could feel pressure pushing out against my pants. i felt pressure or a lot of sweeping motions. i'm only starting to feel more 'kicks' in the last week or so. and i bet you'll be able to hear the heartbeat . i don't know why but wow your 10 weeks has FLOWN by. well, probably not to you

my meeting was ok but intense. one lady cried. one lady was super aggressive and was grilling me. and i think they'll want me to go back again next month and answer more questions. joy! this is the biggest project in the region (new i-5 bridge from oregon to washington). it is crazy big. and i have to finish my other big freeway project by the end of the month. i really feel :

in super sweet news i told one of isaac's teachers that i was taking him out of school next summer (or mostly out of school). and she said she would watch him on the weekends for me if i ever needed it/needed a break. i am AMAZED. i was not sure she actually *liked* him. she's really great. he is a really spiritied child and she's been giving me tips on things to do with him (how to handle situations). and she gives me lots of feedback. we were talking about the biting and screaming things and i just told her i don't even know how to respond to the screaming

i decided to find out the sex. i've been waffling all over the place. but i think it would be good for isaac if we start talking in terms of his baby __. when i talk about baby brother or baby sister he saids 'two' and i think he doesn't get the either or concept. he thinks he is getting both we're going to take him to the u/s so i wonder if he'll 'get it' or if it will be too abstract.
#63 of 412 Old 01-05-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I was going to post more (and more topically), but the computer crashed and ate my message.

Can I just say I am a little tired of snow? We were supposed to get 1-2" in this latest dump, but we've gotten at least 8" at our house. The old crap hasn't melted yet, and our street is really bad (my friends say the worst they've seen in Boulder--seriously, there was no visible pavement till yesterday, when it degenerated into a rutted slushy/icy mess). We had to shovel out the ice dam in the gutter (a friend's little boy slipped and fell in the enormous slush/water puddle yesterday and was drenched... fortunately, they were on their way home).

Our trash/recycling day is Thurs (Fri after holidays). Two weeks ago, it wasn't collected because of the first big storm. Last week, we assumed they'd miss it again and didn't put it out (because of the 2nd big storm, the condition of our street, etc.), but a truck went down the street in chains. Now the truck is out there, stuck on the other side of the street (in chains). We're drowning in recycling.

School was cancelled, obviously. Today, T was supposed to celebrate his 1/2 birthday, and so I have 20 banana bread muffins sitting around (anyone want one? ). I guess we'll get out the playdough, make popcorn, race up and down the hallway, shovel the walk (again).
#64 of 412 Old 01-05-2007, 02:27 PM

Hey, KK. I'm right there with ya on the snow. And we've had way less than you! Send one of those muffins my way, why don't ya? Popcorn and playdough is a good idea, too.

Hang in there!
#65 of 412 Old 01-05-2007, 07:36 PM

Just giving us a bump!

I'm going out for dinner with a friend toniight. Words cannot explain my excitement! I soooo need a girls night out! :
#66 of 412 Old 01-05-2007, 09:12 PM

i feel like such a lame a**... i fully intended to mail out my may mama gift this week but getting out with these two to do actual stuff is proving to be more difficult than i thought. will sneak out to the post office this weekend, hopefully..

and for the mamas of two, how the he** did you get the little one to sleep more than 20 minutes at a time with all the toddler noise and loudness? yesterday, S had multiple 20-ish minute naps, one longer 40-ish minute nap, and then was soooooooooo tired, he crashed around 830 and slept for 4 hours straight and i had to wake him up to give my boobs an emptying. he even fell asleep after the first side and i switched him to the other side just to take the "top off" of that breast. then he woke every couple of hours during the night as usual to eat. and today again, he didn't nap for more than 15-20 minutes at a time until 245ish, when i put them both in the car because they both needed naps and i needed starbucks. they're both still asleep 1.5 hours later, but i think not for much longer: i hear squeaking from the phone/monitor.

nice ddddc, sherri. :

fiddle, sorry i couldn't talk last night. double poop emergency and then cranky-tired-pants-mister-S... let's talk soon.

~c
#67 of 412 Old 01-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Lisa---what a tough time. I can just hear how you wish you can be in both places at once. Thinking of your family and your growing family and hoping there is good news about your mom soon. *hugs*

TC--I did a lot of toddler confinement to rooms distant from napping babe. That and when the weather was nice, E's morning nap was always in the stroller on the way to/from/at the park. I think I lucked out that C is not quite so noisy and very patient to amuse herself while I get E down for a nap. New babes change how they nap anyway from the cat naps to 45 min ones to longer stretches...

Sherri-- : gno!--fun!

I completely forgot what I came here to say...one of those days I guess.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#68 of 412 Old 01-06-2007, 03:04 PM

Hi everybuggy!

I am in Burque now, enjoying my first internet time since I got here. All is well and we are about to have christmas #2.

Lisa, I got my prezzie and I LOVE it! (She sent me a book I had mentioned an interest in, plus several other fun little things. The magnetic bracelet is awesome and sol and I both love playing with it.)
I too am sending you some centeredness and strength because it is so hard to be far away from loved ones when they are suffering.

Claudia, I had a hard time getting out, indeed I could not imagine it, until pretty recently. Then, it becomes a coping technique all it's own.

much love to all and excitement thinking about jacqueline's and jessica's pregnancies...

xoxo
e
#69 of 412 Old 01-06-2007, 06:03 PM

I think I never wished Renae a happy birthday. : Happy Birthday, Renae! Glad it was eventually a good one.

I just finished planting some bulbs I've been meaning to plant since September. Oops. I think they will be fine, though. Good to be able to do some yardwork in January. It's about 50 and NOT raining today!

Claudia, thinking of you. I can't imagine 2. Strength and patience to you, mama!

Jstar - your project sounds humongoid. You are such a bada$$ working mama! Glad the meeting is over and didn't kill you.

My lovely prezzie was from Sherri, who got me a bee-yoo-ti-ful handmade mug and some delicious organic coffee. Perfect since DH got me my very first coffeemaker for Christmas! And the mug is so pretty I display it on the shelf beside the sink; it can't go in a dark cabinet! Thanks, Sherri! :

Tonight is drinks with some girlfriends...can't wait! Hope you had fun last night, Sherri!

OK, must go attend to the toddler.

*mwah*

Sarah
#70 of 412 Old 01-06-2007, 07:20 PM

giftie- I received a lovely mushroom timer thing, very japanese chic, just up my ally, from the oh, so lovely McSarahB. And some stickers so cool, I forbade the lentil from touching them. They are definitely mommy stickers.

Lisa, you are going through so much right now. {{hug}} I'm sorry- it's all so difficult! sigh.

claudia- solo with two? napping? yikes! I wish I could offer some sage advice, but I'm empty.

KK- I hear you on the snow too. Holy cow, are we done with snow. We have gotten like two deliveries of mail in the past two weeks. The garbage was picked up, but the recycling wasn't so we're floating in cans and plastic. And since it's the architectural style here to have flat roofs, everyone we know has now developed leaky roofs. Not us, thankfully, but still. jiminy! We're just waiting for ours to start. Too much snow, but at least it feeds the parched earth. at least.

baby movements? I would like to feel them sooner- anything to reassure me that all this nausea isn't for naught. bleh.
#71 of 412 Old 01-06-2007, 07:48 PM

I felt E kickign away at 11-12 wks or so compared to 18ish w/ C. Totally fits with her always on the move personality.

We got the most adorable ornament and some handmade isaccstar soap....thus my rampant present sniffing. I was good and that was the first present I opened I Christmas morning!

No snow here, but like, um, 70! degrees!! I had the window open and a breeze blowing through. Felt like September!

Sarah--I made DH go out and plant some bulbs on Christmas Eve! Drinks out sounds wonderful! Hope all goes well with settling into routines with school starting up again!

Elsanne--so I'm guessing you survived the airport w/o stroller...can't even imagine it! Hope things in nuevo are good!

Oh how I love weekends. I'm still slogging through the decluttering and we got a new sofa and chair and a half this week so that room looks good, but the messes have migrated elsewhere. Guess with the warmer weather, I'm just getting a jump on my spring cleaning.

Question since Elsanne is slacking these days....

What are you kiddos into these days? C is loving coloring, letters/numbers/spelling, dressing up in as many outfits a day as she has opportunity to pull from her dresser... Fave food is hands down Annie's "mac and cheezers wheezers" and red/orange/yellow pepper slices and any kind of dip.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#72 of 412 Old 01-06-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I am coming here breathlessly to admit that I have just *finished* my May Mama Secret Santa gift (major :, I know). Unfortunately, the UPS store is closed, as is the post office, so Monday morning it goes out. Lots of love (and craziness) went into it. I haven't received mine yet, which karmically, at least, seems completely fair. So you May Mama who hasn't received it yet, major apologies. I sure hope you like it!

We went sledding today. Got out the mega toboggan from my childhood (my dad spent his early childhood in Minnesota, and it shows). The kids didn't like the steep bumpy hill, so we went to a flatter one (at which point, Z and L fell asleep). So dh and T sledded happily, I sat in the car with the sleeping little ones watching and busily working on my MMSS thang.

We have gotten 5' of snow in just over 2 weeks. (Note that that is feet, not inches.) Fortunately, it's only ~2' deep in our yard, but our street becomes a bigger and bigger mess.

Mvmt: each one was earlier (I think because one knows what it feels like and doesn't think, "Oh, it's just gas.")

TC, we keep the sleeping small one and the big one separated during naps (or I just nurse through the nap with the babe on the nursing pillow). With T, I have always had special "big boy" things I do during the nap. He knows that if the toddler/baby/whomever is awakened, the fun stuff goes away.
#73 of 412 Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 AM

I can hardly remember how I managed the nap but I think that at that time the Leappad was special and N played with that or with the pixter while I got J down and then I would give N special attention by reading to her or something like that., Also there was more TV and the threat of TV withheld in those days. J also did lots of napping in a sling or Moby because one a day was about all the patience N had for a sibling nap. I don't think they even napped at the same time unless maybe in the car.
J still seems to have a hard time with if .... then .... so that is frustrating my life to no end right now. If you get dressed, then we can go, seems to be a foreign concept and she throws a fit because she wants to go out.
I am super tired for some reason today so I am going to go now.
#74 of 412 Old 01-07-2007, 05:12 AM

Hi everymama,

Yes I am posting near midnight. I have had this CRAZY nesting streak in the evenings. Oh my is the group home kitchen clean since I was at work last night! Tonight I got out all the baby stuff and put it into piles to be washed, and stuck it on the crib. Both nights, I have been ravenous at midnight. Last night it was more than half a frozen pizza, tonight it is fish sticks and an orange and split pea soup.

Well, my karma is pretty bad because I have also not sent out my gift, but have received mine. Monday I have to turn in paperwork to the main office and have L's speach therapy, but hopefully L won't nap too late and I can get to the post office before it closes!!! By the way, I got a WONDERFUL knit hat. It is multicolored in jewel tones. My secret santa is still secret because there was no name on the package. I have my guess about who it is though.....

So many people I'd like to reply to...

Claudia: no prob about the phone call- I'll try ya during L's nap probably Monday. (Tomorrow I MUST clean the bathroom and do Luke's bath and then we have a lunch mtg then nap then church).

I really appreciate all the naps with 2 ideas- my time is coming!

Thinkin of Emily and Jacq in their first trimester, Jstar in the 2nd, and my gestation-mate Allison nearing the end...thinking good thoughts for both of Lisa's parents

jstar congrats on surviving your public meeting- eeps.

a kajillion more interesting things other people have said that I'd like to reply to, but my brain is becoming mush and pretty soon the screen is going to start swimming before my eyes, so off to beddy-bye for me. Love to all!
#75 of 412 Old 01-07-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
Elsanne--so I'm guessing you survived the airport w/o stroller...can't even imagine it! Hope things in nuevo are good!

I made it! And it wasn't even too bad! There were two moments of kind of difficulty and only one of them would have been made easier with a stroller. Where you get off the plane and where you go through customs/immigration is like, a million toddler miles away. That was kind of hard. The other moment was the "why must I stay in one place and not crawl in the aisle and why must I keep my seatbelt on/tray table up nearing landing?"

We had our "christmas" here yesterday and it ROCKED! I am kind of in a daze with the fun consumerism rampant here. My SIL (who came & visited post partum) is a master shopper and got us some really awesome "real" toys: stainless steel toy kitchenware, porcelain tea set that doesn't look too breakable, little waldorf-esque dollies...all at Target, post-christmas sales! Incredible. Plus lots of fun clothing and now both children are transfixed by their mega-plasma-whatever tv. go U.S.!

Anyway we're having fun.
Sol is really into "ooh-la-las" (dresses and skirts, fancier the better). She loves turkey hot dogs. She loves to crawl and climb and jump from anything. She ADORES cats, especially ones amenable to her mawling.
#76 of 412 Old 01-07-2007, 02:33 PM

HA - "Ooh-la-las," how incredibly cute. I keep wanting Lily to get interested in her fancy dress-up dresses but she doesn't dig changing clothes yet. She likes the scarves and necklaces, anything she can drape over herself quickly, but the getting-on-and-off of clothing is beyond her frustration level.

Otherwise, she loves drawing and coloring (recently started making actual recognizable things such as faces and limbs), letters/spelling, any kind of card collection where she can play "memory," still loves dolls and stuffed animals and her little stroller, and stringing beads or pop beads. Also of course she could spend 8 hours a day having someone read to her. Oh, and food: um, nothing? No really, she is so picky. But she usually will eat pancakes, cheese (a treat), and frozen fruit. A select few cereals, occasional deli meat sandwiches. I just asked her what her favorite food was, and she said, "chocolate." Yeah.

Elsanne, glad you made it ok and second Christmas was grand.

We just ordered a fish tank - did I mention this already? - and hopefully it will come soon. Lily got some Christmas money from the grandparents with the demand that it be *spent* so we decided to get a small tank with a couple of guppies and an aquatic frog. Yippee! I think DH and I are more excited than Lily is.

Oh, mamas, I'm not really looking forward to starting school. I mean, of course I'm glad that I'm in school, and doing what I'm doing in general, but vacation has been sooooooooooooooooooooooo nice. It'll be hard to go back to the daily grind. At least this quarter I have a full day off with nanny coverage - maybe I can actually get most of my homework done that day so weekends won't be so crazy.

OK, pop bead frustration means I'm outtie -

Sarah
#77 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 11:39 AM

Remember, "pulque in, pulque out"?
Well, apparently that is a sound theory for Meade, too.
So I had a bottle of Bunratty's Meade in the fridge last night, so I figured, I was having a ROUGH Sunday (just generally grumpy, Rowan was being , cat puked, worked till late Saturday night, then at church the topic was really not happy-making (he talked about Saddam Hussein, man! Depressing stuff) so I would have a glass, get a buzz on...um, no. I had a HUGE glass (darn those beautiful wine glasses a friend made for us!) and got a bit too drunk, too fast. I underestimated my tolerance, I guess. So all was well until I got into bed and the room started spinning. Ugh ugh ugh.

Anyway, kind of hung-over this morning, feeling really : : and hoping Rowan stays in bed for just a *teensy* bit longer! Good thing the most pressing errand on our to-do list is to go to the grocery store. We have no more half & half!
(I am finishing this at 9:30am...Rowan woke up at 9:15!! I dozed for an hour and I feel like a new woman! haha)

Let's see what Rowan is into (great to hear about other toddlers, btw!); he loves to draw and put stickers on paper (and everything!) and then tape them onto the wall. He's also starting to do circles, spirals, and faces. Awesome! He loves cooking in his play kitchen, we got him a wooden sushi set (Melissa & Doug is the BEST! ) so he'll pull it out and make sushi, and he also likes the tin tea set and serves us tea all the time.
Dress-up's not huge here, he also likes scarves and necklaces and his tiger ears and tail, but actual "dress up" not so much.
Books, books books! He likes to be read to, but he often also sits on the couch and says "Mamee read!" (Let me read), and he looks at books alone!
He's also way into dancing to music, playing with his instruments, dancing with us (well, he holds our hands while he jumps on the couch! : I honestly don't care if he does it, I just worry he's gonna fly off and hit the coffee table sometime. Eek!), and he is starting to *sing along* with songs he knows!
He also likes movies. : He won't sit through much, but he likes the TV on sometimes, PBS or Curious George or Cars on in the background. Haha.

I thought I had more to say but I started this at 7am so I am going to finish it now. I hope you all are having a great start of the week!

It is POURING rain here. Honestly, the not-Winter is creeping me out. Like Heather said, it's been like 60-70 here this weekend, too!
#78 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 AM

I'm still here! I just got too far behind and I feel like I have to read every post before I can participate. Lame, I know, but I have this "thing" about knowing what's going on. But now I know how to make enchiladas without using the over, so it's all worthwhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
i've had a couple of days lately with isaac where my frustration levels have been so high i'm thinking 'i can't BELIEVE i am having another one' we've had some difficult times. he is SO hard sometimes to deal with. and if 3 is worse than 2 as i often hear i am really not looking forward to it. and i just feel like i am doing this whole thing 'wrong' some days. kwim?

dear god i hope the 2nd one is chill.
Right there with you on the frustration. Allison is so adamant and stubborn, and I know it's just what she's supposed to do right now, but it drives me batty. Especially if I am trying to get three kids out the door, and she's throwing a fit because *I* got her coat out of the closet and she wants to "do it by myself". So we have to put it back IN the closet, so she can get it out... and in my experience the second is chill. Until they are two, and then they're just two.

TClaudia, I'm taking deep breaths for you. It's such a demanding tranisition. How is it going this week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
Can I just say I am a little tired of snow? We were supposed to get 1-2" in this latest dump, but we've gotten at least 8" at our house.
I'd be tired of it too, but right now I'm mostly jealous. It's January in Cleveland, and it was 58 degrees the other day. Just wrong, I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
Question since Elsanne is slacking these days....

What are you kiddos into these days? C is loving coloring, letters/numbers/spelling, dressing up in as many outfits a day as she has opportunity to pull from her dresser... Fave food is hands down Annie's "mac and cheezers wheezers" and red/orange/yellow pepper slices and any kind of dip.
Mine spends a lot of time throwing tantrums because I did something she wanted to do herself. Like the coat thing, and heaven help me if I flush the toilet at the wrong time. 'cuz there's really no way to unflush a toilet, you know?

She LOVES to dress up, or run around naked. Drawing on anything that isn't paper (wall, particularly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
Sol is really into "ooh-la-las" (dresses and skirts, fancier the better).
Allison calls them "ta-dahs" and does a ta-dah spin every time she puts one on. Yay for safe travel! It's all about the toddler's mood, isn't it?

That's all for me for now. Oh, check out the link in my sig. Elsanne made me do it : I have both up right now, and I'd like to know which format is easier for people to comment on, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Also I have an idea for a swap - I'll post at the yg.
#79 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 11:48 AM

Renae, happy birthday a week late. I posted my novel at the same time you did, and it took me almost as long to write! I had a run to preschool in the middle and I wanted to say I live for your morning post. Mmmm.
#80 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 01:45 PM

good to 'see' ya miss juice. i'm glad i'm not the only with with high frustration levels sometimes.

what is isaac into? well he is watching charlie and the chocolate factory right now. absolute new favorite movie besides nacho libre which we rented and he talks about all the time (imo it could only appeal to a 2yo). and the way he says chocolate factory is shock -o-lat fakory. very drawn out. he is not into letters or numbers yet despite my pressure but he loves me to read to him. he could stand next to me at the sink and pour water from one thing to the next 'doing dishes' for hours and often continues past the point where i am done. i don't know how in to drawing/art he is because he does so much at school i never do that activity at home : cute projects are sent home on a continuous basis. jumping on the bed. jumping on the couch. : putting his own pants on. MOPPING. i give him a bucket of water and he gleefully mops the basement floor. the problem comes when he wants to do the kitchen and i don't really want puddles all over the wood floor. tantrums ensue. VACUUMING. highly exciting activity and since our vaccum was making about-to=burst-into-flames smells i went and bought the dyson on saturday. i have never been so in love with an appliance something i vowed to do before i lost my income since you almost need a new mortgage for it. and i hate vacuuming so isaac makes it a little more fun. trucks trucks trucks. firetrucks and garbage trucks especially. backhoes.

we might get snow here this week. and even if it doesnt snow it is supposed to be in the teens at night and upper 20s in the day. brrrrrrrrrrrr. oh my poor natural gas bill. and i worry about the plants i got in the ground last fall that aren't established yet.

i should, as usual, be showering. it was a nice relaxing weekend of taking down christmas decorations and cleaning and dusting and general decluttering. and then i had time for crafty things. i am painting a table and a toy box for isaac. yesterday i did the primer. i tried to make this a fun joint activity with him but that didn't work out well. bad idea. and i worked a bit on his quilt for the first time in months. and did some knitting. all in all i am just happy the holidays are over so i can do other things!!!!!!!!!!!

re: the enchiladas. i heat the sauce and dip the tortillas before i roll them up in the dish so i guess i do a combo approach i could eat enchiladas all the time i swear. red or green. so good!
#81 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sure you will all think that I'm : because all I talk about is weather. Anyway, the wind today is crazy. T was supposed to go on a field trip to the stock show in Denver, but it was cancelled (wind so high--up to 115 mph--the highway is closed). One of our patio chairs blew across our yard. I'm sure part of our fence will blow down. (This is just part of normal life in Boulder.) After it stops blowing, we'll have to reshovel.

I took T to school this morning and put my keys in my coat pocket. Somehow, with the wind, the locked car door slammed shut, with a wad of my coat locked inside the car. The keys were inside that wad. It took me a minute of struggling in vain to realize that I could slip out of my coat, that I wasn't pinned to the car. Went inside, called dh to come and release the coat (and my keys). Then I went to the P.O. to mail my MMSS gifty.

I'm in a super good mood though. All the being outside in the sunshine this weekend did me a world of good.
#82 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Oh, KK, I'm feeling your weather grief down here. We had to re-shovel this morning after all the wind last night and it was a little discombobulating: "oh, it snowed! Oh, no wait, it didn't, this is just from the wind..."

What is the lentil into: He loves reading. Being read to, really. He could spend the entire day on the couch reading books. We now check them out in bulk from the library. He's learning letters and letter sounds at school, so he likes to identify letters he sees around the house, which is really cute. He loves painting, so that's another good activity to give us a break from reading books. He hates transitions, as usual, so activites like getting him suited up to go outside are tremendously painful. Even though he always has fun once he's made the transition. He's also really into making deals for everything: "I'll make you a deal. We'll skip bath and read three books THEN it's bedtime." great deal, kid. He's still discovering his new play kitchen, probably not so into it because I haven't been cooking much lately. :Puke

on the baby front- we have a meeting tomorrow with the midwives to discuss our possible homebirth. pretty excited!

Enchiladas: I always bake them, if it's a special occasion I will roll them but if we're just trying to get dinner on the table then I make them lasagna style: layer tortillas, filling, cheese and sauce over and over until the pan is full. bake.

Hey elsanne! pm me your contact info!
#83 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 05:34 PM

Here I am! Here I am! : pming.

And a big *mwah* to the rest of you!
#84 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 PM

I really am reading along and caring about what is going on in everyone's lives.

This, however, is going to be yet another all-about-me post.

I am GBS+

I found out about 4 hours ago.

I told the OB that I would be refusing the antibiotics in labor- that I already have a yeast infection, and just couldn't handle the threat of thrush, especially since I already have one kid with major weight/eating issues. Plus I was worried about the risk of my baby having an allergic reaction to the abx. (Which I found out later is more likely than my kid getting sick from the GBS). I didn't mention that I also don't want to be strapped to a stupid IV pole because it would restrict my movement in labor and my labor last time was long enough, thank-you-very-much. (5 days).

She responded that I HAD to have the antibiotics in labor- in fact that I had to have 8 hours of antibiotic drip through an IV (two doses), and that if I refused or if I somehow wasn't in the hospital to receive the drip a full 8 hours before giving birth, that the hospital pediatrition would HOLD MY BABY THERE FOR 48 HOURS to ensure that my baby got a full course of antibiotics and showed no signs of being sick from GBS.

After I hung up, I cried a lot. Then I called Claudia and cried some more. Then I started calling homebirth midwives (thanks, Claudia).

I found one with an opening, who said she might be able to give us a bit of a break on the cost because of the closeness of my due date.

There is one wee little problem:

DH is totally stressed about the money. I am too, I know we're poor, but there are some things that are just more important than money. Like our baby's safety. He really doesn't sound open to the idea AT ALL, but he did agree to meet with the midwives, so that's a start.

OK, I'm gonna spill the beans now about my due date: it's February 2nd. So, I have three and a half weeks (give or take) to convince Tom we need a homebirth, meet with the midwives, prepare my house for the event, and figure out how to finance this crazy escapade.

I don't even WANT to give birth at home. My house is tiny and crowded and carpeted. But at this point I sure as HE!! don't wan't to give birth in a hospital. Sigh. At least I won't have to get up and move somewhere else in the middle of labor. That is if I can talk dh into this whole thing.

Send me your good vibes, mamas!
#85 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 09:16 PM

Heading out to karaoke with my friend soon, but I just wanted to offer HUGE sssss sto dear fiddle.

I hope everything works out, hon. How sucky about the OB and hospital bs.
I wish I had more encouraging things to say, but know that I'm thinking of you and sending many many good thoughts!

#86 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 PM

fiddle: lotsa hugs and other assorted good vibes comin' your way, mama...

~claudia
#87 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mega s to Fiddle.
#88 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 11:20 PM

Oh, Fiddle, the stress!!! at hospital "policy". Mega-hugs to you. My head is spinning just reading your post.
#89 of 412 Old 01-08-2007, 11:31 PM

(((Fiddle))). I'm so sorry. I just called and left a message for one of my school friends who did her whole research project on GBS and recommendations, alternative treatments, etc. I will talk to her about it and get back to you as soon as I can!

Sarah
#90 of 412 Old 01-09-2007, 12:23 AM

Oh, fiddle. I'm so so sorry- this is the wrong time to be dealing with this crap. so so expletive! I'm sending you all sorts of good, good vibes. I bet you'll have a lot of solutions coming your way after you meet with the homebirth midwife. Is there a birthing center that will work with you?

We have our meeting with the homebirth team tomorrow to decide if this is the right step for us. I'm pretty excited!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page