May 2004 mamas finding happiness & fulfillment in the new year! (& maybe riches) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, Fiddle. I hope all this gets straightened out for you soon! I wish I could offer more encouragement or help, except to say that OF COURSE it's all about you right now! Don't worry! Dump what you need to here, mama! We you!

So, on some hoopy-poopy notes; we went to see a friend yesterday who I have known since our Goth-clubbing days (almost 10 years ago now!) and we've had our off and on relationships, we lost touch, she had issues, I had issues, blah blabity blah, but we reconnected through another scene a few years back and we see each other rarely. Anyway. She's an amazingly powerful witchy woman who does reiki-ish energy work, is working to become a certified doula, but is dealing with some emotional issues so she's mostly home on disability at the moment. She's a sweet, strange woman.

ANYWAY! We've got this weird comfortable way of sitting together, touching, like sisters almost and while Rowan played quietly on her floor (in between looking for her two cats ) we talked about stuff, and she mentioned that she could feel energy moving between us and I felt it too, so she asked me if she could help with the anxiety I'd been feeling lately. She asked where I felt it most, I told her (my chest, kind of on the left side) and she like, reikied it out of me. I have no idea how to describe it, but Rowan felt it, and kind of freaked out but he crawled into my lap and we nursed and he was fine, and he kept asking where she was when she was out of his sight. It was cute.
We had a nice lunch and then we drove home, and I felt like either crying or sleeping or shivering, I'm not sure...but I got us home and after Rowan went down for his nap I napped too...and the weird thing is, mamas...I feel so much better

I didn't ask my friend to do this, we hadn't seen each other in months, and well, my faith in these sorts of healing is muchly restored. Weirdness.

I sound like such a flaky hippie-witch, I know. And I still have a ways to go, and I am seeing my doc this afternoon before work still, but I just wanted to let y'all know how I was doing. I slept better last night, too...I think. Hehe. I know Rowan woke me once to nurse and it took him a while to get back to sleep this morning but now he's still sleeping...but any scond he's gonna wake up, I know it. So I haven't even had one cup of coffee yet!

Em and Els, your meeting sounds like it was wonderful and I am envious and happy to hear about it! Yay!
Ducettemama, WHOAH! Speaking of hoopy powers! That's neat! Let us know what comes of it!

I feel like I am forgetting something, I'm sorry! I think I just heard Rowan.

Oh, our swap isn't happening today, my friend's DS has croup. So I dunno if we are going to try to go to our own Ikea (IKEA!) or just hang out at home today. The threat of cabin fever (and too much TV) comes with staying home though...but I have to work tonight so I dunno if I want to go anywhere else...but Ikea rules!

Okay, enough babble out of me. I hope you all have a great Friday.

Oh, and THANK YOU for making me feel so much better about my little one's newfound (not-so newfound) obstinance, and random preferences for Mama or Daddy at any given time. I worry that Rowan is just going OCD on me. That's one of the reasons I may not go anywhere today; it's easier to just let the kid stay in his pajamas if he wants to. :

Take care, lovely mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 11:37 AM

Ferny---ack! I'm so sorry the doubts and fears are creeping in. You know us MMF! will support you in whatever birth you choose. **hugs** Breathe, mama. It will work out. You'll be up to your elbows in newborn poop in no time!

EL/Elsanne---yay for a fun meetup!! too cute about a booty lovin' sol.

renae--flaky hippy witch hehe I don't know much about that energy kind of stuff, but it sounds powerful and very cool that some of your worries/anxieties are eased.

oh it's friday. finally.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
Old 01-12-2007, 11:48 AM

lookatchoo, heather, *almost* beating renae out of the first morning post.

Renae-what a crazy cool experience you described! I'm so glad it helped!

Fern, fern, fern. I don't know what to say. It IS all about you right now. We WANT to know whats going on with you and your impending decisions. I wish I had the right words to say, but just know we're all here for you mama.

Danile-let us know!!! I'm going crazy, your dh must be quite intuitive!

Where o where is my multiquote useage?

Must go, gotta make sure dh took trash/recycles out to the curb

Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

I will try to post more later, but I have mega hug, hug, hugs for Fernie (do what you think is best!!) and Renae (be confident in yourself--you're not a flake!).

Lisa, I've been thinking of you and yours, and would love to hear how all your family is doing right now.

I need someone to eventually explain the multiquote thing to me....
Old 01-12-2007, 03:24 PM

multiquote:
down in the bottom right corner of each post are three buttons: quote, "+ (quote plus) and quick reply. if you want to quote multiple posts, go to a post you want to quote and click on the "+ button and it will turn red-orange. then go to the next post you want to quote and click on "+. continue for each post you want to quote. when you're ready to reply, click on post reply in the bottom left corner of the whole page and through the *MAGIC* of bulletin board software, all the posts you wanted to quote are there. voila!!!

fern: hope your prenatal with the new midwives this morning brings you some clarity...

lisa: thinking of you... and of alison...

~c
Old 01-12-2007, 04:50 PM

yep - more hugs from me beth. i know very little about GBS except one tearjerker story i saw on tv about it. i think i would probably do the antibiotics but i also am less crunchy about some things. gbs just scares me because of the death risk. but i would be super bummed about having to do the abx kwim? i may have to deal with this in the very near future....this feels like one of those lottery things to me since you have no control over testing +. you have to do what *you* want (you need the birth you will be happiest with). i hope your midwife meeting brings clarity too. you're smart and you're doing your research and it is not like you're taking the situation lightly. it *is* a lot of crap to deal with when you just want to be washing baby clothes you will figure it out. i'm around if you need a shoulder to cry on this weekend
xox

last night we drove by dairy queen. isaac wanted it. i told him dairy queen was a special treat and he told me 'it is not a special treat, it's dinner!'

HA! (well maybe once in a while it is : )
Old 01-12-2007, 05:22 PM

Quick update to say that we're all doing okay (Alison - no labor, my mom-out of the hosp, still not sure what is happening, and me - my eyes and head are swimming but I am hanging in) I will update more soon - I am fine really - just overwhelmed with schtuff.

For Fernitude:

Check out: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbs.html
especially: "Kathryn Newburn, RN, CNM is available for free phone consulting about antibiotic treatment for GBS. She's in California, so please call her weekdays only between noon and 7 pm EST (9-4 PST) at 650-347-6943."
and:
"OBs and pediatricians have a new approach; for cases of prolonged rupture of membranes, they're only giving antibiotics if the mom runs a fever. Otherwise, they just do a simple blood test on the baby (can be done from cord blood or a heelstick if they miss the cord blood opportunity) to check for C-reactive protein. This is an indicator of an acute infection. If it's negative, everyone can be reassured that baby's fine, even though mom didn't get antibiotics; if it's positive (for whatever reason!), then baby will be appropriately treated for an acute infection. This has great potential for focusing the treatment where it is most needed and not exposing all the others to unnecessary side effects and increased risks from resistant bacteria."

There is lots more there about GBS in general...BUT I know you don't want to spend this time researching. I say, talk to your midwives, talk to your spiritual community, and spend some time alone seaking out your inner wisdom if you can. The world will take care of you and your baby as it should...and we all support you no matter what!

s Hugs s
Old 01-12-2007, 07:21 PM

that's a good webpage. lots to digest. see i don't even know enough about it to know what i would do really. testing the baby seems really logical. why would the norm be routine abx if they can just test the baby? i don't get it :
Old 01-12-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
that's a good webpage. lots to digest. see i don't even know enough about it to know what i would do really. testing the baby seems really logical. why would the norm be routine abx if they can just test the baby? i don't get it :
i think *that* probably has to do with the ACOG position paper about GBS treatment... *sigh*
Old 01-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboClaudia View Post
i think *that* probably has to do with the ACOG position paper about GBS treatment... *sigh*
Yep. GBS illness in babies is scary so ACOG's position is that we should do something even if it's not perfect - but we are getting a problem of anitbiotic resistant GBS and that likely to get worse with routine abx for laboring moms.

What did your paper say, Sarah? Maybe it makes sense to wait on abx unless prolonged rutpture of membranes and/or fever in labor, but if this is a high-stress issue for the mom then how is that going to effect her labor? I like the idea of just treating infants if they show signs of illness, but that does mean more time for the infection take hold thus potentially more intense treatment to correct - or does it? I am not familar, is there a study that shows that it is better to try to prevent the infection versus treating one only if it develops? Geez...this is a tough place to be, Beth. I am so so sorry.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:16 PM

who is acog (without me looking it up)?

one thing on that webpage further down said the abx only help cases which occur right after birth but make no difference for cases that show up after some period of time. ie. babies can still get it later on. freaky. and they think most of it is caught at the hospital (even freakier).

i wonder too about the preventing infection vs. treating an infection and how rigorous that has to be. if they give a newborn abx over 48 hrs that makes me think it must be very low slow dose. i'm guessing it would not be low and slow if it were an acute infection. anyway, i would need my ob to explain everything about it. and also call someone like that midwife to get another perspective.

it is really complicated.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:45 PM

Hi everyone. (sheepish grin, too exhausted to look up the smiley). Got maybe 4 hours of fitful sleep last night.

I have not heard about testing the baby. That goes at the top of my long list of questions for the Kaiser midwife. (and/or pediatrition).

The homebirth midwife was awesome. I called to cancel, and explained that I just wasn't certain enough in that moment to sign a financial agreement. She (like the Kaiser midwife) encouraged me to keep my feet in both places for a bit longer, and give myself time for clarity.

I have called a zillion people, talked on the phone for a zillion hours, and have about a zillion options to explore. I think the answer lies inside me, though, and it's hard to listen to that voice right now.

acog- american college of obstetrics and gynecology.

Since their standards came out in 1996, deaths from GBS have DRAMATICALLY been reduced. Since the CDC came out with similar guidlines (I think in 2002?), the numbers have dropped even further.

Jstar, yes, it's only early onset GBS (which shows up within the first 7 days) that seems to be affected by giving antibiotics from moms. Babies get late onset from other people, not just their moms.

My Kaiser MW told me that treatment if baby does have GBS is 10 days in the hospital on antibiotics (for babies who get it, it is really serious and in the 1970's 50% of babies who got it died), so that's probably why the public policy is preventative rather than testing the babe. Still, I REALLY like the fact that it might be an option.

Lisa, I am glad to hear that you are hanging in there, and thank you, thank you for the reference.

....crawls off to eat and obsess some more...
Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 PM

Just thinking of you fern and hoping some resolution comes to you soon.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the update, fiddle. I've been thinking of youall day and hoping your meeting went well. It sounds like the midwife is very understanding of your position, and I'm really glad she's allowing you to take some time to digest.

I know you've gotten alot of info, but I just wanted to share a personal experience with you.

When pg with katie, I tested positive for GBS both at 12 weeks and 36 weeks.

Fast forward to labor (which was induced). Inserted cervadil, put me on fast track to hard labor. By the time they checked me, I was completely 10 cm and needing to push. So, no time for abx for me. Katie was born. Within an hour or so of her birth, they drew a blood culture and did a CBC to rule out any sort of infection. Both came back fine. I can't really remember well, but I *think* my OB required baby to stay in the hospital for 24-36 hours after birth. I can't really remember, that part is fuzzy, I was so exhasted after birthing her that I remember falling asleep on the phone with my Mom, so I was kinda out of it. But my OB didn't make a big deal out of it, namely because i was afebrile and my water didn't break until I was pushing, so no prolonged rupture of membranes.

So I guess what I'm trying to get at is that, while I know every birth is different, it sounds like we fell under the protocol that if I didn't receive abx during labor, they tested the baby and treated accordingly.

Lisa, thanks for the update, you've been on my mind alot lately. Sending you lots of warmth and love.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:23 AM

Did I ever tell you mamas that my two girls decided to cosleep? Sarah was sleeping in a full size bed in her room, Katie in a toddler bed in her own room. Well, around Christmas they kept talking how they wanted to have sleepovers in Sarah's room. I agreed but was worried there wouldn't be much sleeping going on. The first few nights, they talked and giggled and such for a while, but fell asleep and stayed that way all night. Now, for the most part, they just go to bed together, and are asleep pretty quickly. It is really super duper cute to see. Like I said, I was a bit reluctant at first because I didn't know if they'd actually sleep, but I let them, thinking if this is what they really want to do, then I don't want to forbid it. I feel it can only foster love and a good relationship between them. I am very close to my sister, and want them to have a good relationship with each other for years to come. Plus, just about everyone I know shared a bedroom with a sibling. I know maybe at some point the novelty will wear off, but for now, I'm enjoying watching them love each other. I posted a pic on the YG if you would like to see them in action!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:26 AM

Sherri--that is adorable!! I'm thinking/hoping we see that around here sometime next year. There is a trundle bed in E's room that would be perfect for that! Cutie cute cuteness!

Old 01-13-2007, 12:27 AM

oh and dude....go check out Sherri's porch pics too!! Cute, but no light up blinking train (what was my DH thinking!)

Old 01-13-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
oh and dude....go check out Sherri's porch pics too!! Cute, but no light up blinking train (what was my DH thinking!)
oh, if only my dh had his way, we'd have reindeer out the wazoo, multiple inflatable objects, plastic snowmen, reindeer, santas, etc. It would be BAD.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:39 AM

Sherri- that is the cutest thing ever! My siblings and I did the same thing, I really hope mine do it too. When we were younger and treating each other or our parents badly they would send us to our room, where we would proceed to yell to each other through the heater vents... thinking we were unheard. My mom just confessed when I brought it up the other day that her and my stepdad could barely contain their laughter as they would sit and listen to us chitchat. Not that I want to repeat THAT, but it reminded me of the sillyness when I was little. Good times.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
Old 01-13-2007, 03:20 AM

Fiddle - (hugs). I hadn't heard of the testing the baby thing, either. Lisa, the paper was done by a classmate of mine, and it was about the current statistics on risks of GBS, testing, the antibiotic treatment for mom, etc. I'm surprised she didn't turn anything up about testing the baby, actually. Fiddle, I also wanted to mention that there are alternative treatments to minimize the likelihood of infection. Things like garlic cloves up the yinyang for 10 days, chlorahexadine (sp?) wash in early labor, etc. I would ask both midwives about those options, too. I know they're not super-studied in the literature, but hey they might have a protocol.

So I'm curious, what did the homebirth midwife say about the GBS? Was she just willing to have you labor and birth without any prophylaxis? That surprises me. I am very interested and want to chat with you, but don't want to overwhelm you.

Sherri, that is the cutest. My little brother and I slept in my 3/4-sized bed together until I was 8 or so.

Renae, that is very cool about your friend's healing energy. It must feel so good to have a positive change.

My friend's here from out-of-town, putting her dd to sleep now. I am banished to the downstairs because Lily got WAAAAAAAY too wound up with the guests, etc. and had a complete meltdown right before bed. I nursed her but she ended up freaking out anyway and DH told me to get out and stay out (in the nicest, most well-meaning way). So he's up there now settling her back down. Ooop, nevermind, here he is. She must have finally succumbed to the sleepies. Poor overtired bebe.

OK, later skaters.

S.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:33 AM

Hi everyone. It was great going to work this weekend and getting a bit of a break from my life. I'm feeling calmer and more centered. I know what I want, and I'm not sure I'm able to get it, but I have my list of questions and I'm working on it.

I'm gonna try a participatory post tonight.

Renae- that reiki story is so cool and sweet.

And Sherri, talk about sweet- your lil cosleepers.

DucetteMama- my bros and I discovered the vents at our grandparents' house when we were little and had a blast. Good memories.

Eeps- babe needs me. Nighty-night!
Old 01-14-2007, 03:41 AM

Oooh, fiddle, I was just getting on here to check if you had posted and then call you. But I guess it's too late. I'll try tomorrow eve. I'm glad you're feeling decided; can't wait to chat and see what's up.

My friend is putting her dd to sleep while Nat puts Lily to sleep. The girls took a bath together tonight and it was SO FREAKIN' CUTE I almost peed my pants. Not really, just figuratively, all you kegelers.

OK feelin' chatty, but must go do some homework while I have a free second. Yawn. Hard to fit this annoying thing called school into my REAL life sometimes.

Sarah
Old 01-14-2007, 04:46 AM

i'm glad you're feeling settled too, fiddlefern. and i am *so* excited about your blessingway : it will be the first blessingway i have ever been to

renae - i loved your reiki story too and i'm so glad she helped you. i hope the feeling is lasting. doug has a very 'woo' auntie and after doug's grandma had a knee replacement she was *super* cranky (with reason) but doug's auntie had her friend come visit at the hospital and do secret reiki on grandma. she claims it changed her 'tude immensely. anyway i love doug's 'woo' auntie. she's awesome and so sweet.

i'll have to check the pic of the cosleepers. that is adorable.

isaac was having sleep insanity for a while. in our bed. out of our bed. crying in the middle of the night. finally i told him 'you are sleeping in your bed and no crying about monsters in the middle of the night' and....it worked. 2 silent nights in a row and an easy bedtime tonight. (he was insisting on falling asleep in our bed for a while and i'd have to move him). it sounded mean but he was making me : and i can't believe he actually 'listened.' i don't discredit his crying about monsters because i remember being scared of monsters when i was a kid. but i think he was pulling my leg a bit

i am mad crazy nesting woman. you should see the pile o stuff for goodwill i created today. must.declutter.and.make.space.for.less.than.10.pou nd.child except my nesting does not involve laundry or dishes. heh

we started another aquaducks class today. isaac was super excited. of course he doesn't want to do whatever the rest of the class is doing. but that's ok too.

nighty night.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Been doing a lot of inside stuff here, because it's been soooo cold (almost makes me regret my whining about the snow... at least we could play outside in the snow for a while). Dunno if I mentioned that I made my first batch of soap a couple of weeks ago. I've been rebatching it (melting it in small batches and mixing it with yummy stuff). We're lipbalming/lotioning/etc. ourselves quite liberally, too, because it's so dry...

Z has been offnon wearing underwear, with very few accidents when he decides to wear underwear. I'll take what I can get.

I had yet *another* dream last night that I was pg again, with a girl. : If you had to ask me right now if there was going to be a #4 at some point, I guess I'd have to say yes (since my unconscious self says yes...). (Definitely not pg, though--no ppaf yet.) (Danile, let us know...)

Nothing wrong with woo. We could all use a little more woo...

I love decluttering. I wish I had more time for it. ( I guess if I weren't making soap... double-:

Ferny, you sound much calmer, and I am glad!!!

Hey, I did the heating vent thing too. Wonder if it's a universal kid thang...

s to Lisa (and Alison!).
Old 01-15-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
Nothing wrong with woo. We could all use a little more woo...
That is awesome! So YES, the reiki has held...I think. I've definitely been feeling better, and I don't know if it's because that psychic kick in the patootie is making me more proactive, creative, or well, it could just be the slightly increasd exercise. I dunno.
In any case, last night DH and I had a talk about "reconnecting" (and NOT just in a spiritual bible study sort of way! though um, that happened too! ) and it felt really good to get out some of the thoughts we'd been having (thanks to the whole vitamin issue, my libido is *pfffft!* and I am taking steps to work on that, woo-woo herbal stuff and that sort of thing. ) and DH told me he didn't know how I did all that I do, and that he wanted me to be happy and well taken care of, and he knew I had been feeling that I wasn't getting what I needed, and I deserved to be happy and secure...: It felt good to get all of this out, and to hear my normally-not-wordy husband say some much-needed sweet things to me. Even though I cried a bit. :

Anyway, last night was good. Went to bed early-ish (nothing like Saturday night, when I was in bed at 8pm!! LONG day, Saturday. I blame Ikea. ) Rowan's sleeping has been : all weeken--no, since like last Wednesday, he was napping from like 2 or 2:30 till 4 or *5* : so Saturday night he went to sleep at 10pm!!!
Sunday was much more "regular", he was asleep at 8:30ish (DH has been having to pat him forEVER. *sigh*
Yeah, but we all know Rowan and sleep.
Speaking of sleep, oh, the little co-sleepers are SO CUTE!

We just took down our lights (most of them) yesterday. Haha.

Rain, rain, rain out here, it's been like this ALL WEEKEND. :
I'm almost wishing for snow...

Hope you all have a great day/start of the week. Fiddle, more s and thoughts for you, sounds like you are a bit calmer and that's so great. You nesting mamas....man, I'm not even pregnant and I'm feeling the nesting vibe! I think it's because we finally got rid of all the holiday decorations this weekend.
Lisa (and Alison!) Hope you are well.

Okay, gotta go make out a birthday card for MIL (her birthday's TOMORROW!) ttfn--ta ta for now!

Oh yeah! I got new tattoos Saturday (after DH said that we will still try to save for Mexico later this year and that I should use my holiday money for this since I've wanted them for so long! )! Pictures when they're less ouchie-looking.

I RULE the smileys. :
Old 01-15-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

My latest crazy dream was that dh was a hair stylist. I cannot tell you how totally *psyched* I was (in my dream) that I was married to someone who would do my hair every day.

Renae, when my very quiet dh opens up with much-needed communication (sweet or no), it really boosts me, too.

Yes, the co-sleepers are super cute (liked the scarf pic, too ).

I had a brilliant idea that my next moms night out should be at Michael's (the craft store). : But wouldn't it be fun? I would love to go to Michael's (or a really yummy yarn or fabric store...) with my May Mamas, but I guess my RL friends will have to do.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:36 PM

I swore I had updated you guys.. but obviously I haven't.

You won't believe the spookiness of this situation...

We are getting ready for church this morning and I express my concern to DH about being a few days late now. He says, "Well.. I don't necessarily think you are pregnant NOW.. I just think you're going to be pregnant soon." : We try to dig all of the snow off of our car and get in... no budging.. this car is not making it out of the development. Settle down to eat lunch with the kids.. and AF starts!!!!!!!!! So hey- at least there's an answer for me. It's almost starting to creep me out his predictions.. but maybe we are just super close.

Anyhow.. other than that we are doing great. I'm up early cleaning while the kids sleep... (which never usually happens). The sun is beginning to peek in my windows and it is so beautiful. Oh- Isaac is awake. Got to go!

Old 01-15-2007, 06:09 PM

Danile, awww…I love that you attribute your husband’s predictions to how close the two of you are – that’s so sweet and rare.

Sherri, we plan to use one bedroom as a sleep room for the two kids and one as a playroom. I would love them to cosleep! I haven’t gone over to the YG yet, but it sounds like the sweetest.

Fiddle, I am so thankful to hear some peace in your post. As I hope you know, I am wishing good things for you.

Renae, I love woo woo healing reiki stories! The late night or lengthy conversations of a relationship that end in tears and a little biblical action are the best in my opinion.

Sarah, just wanted you to know how much I am cheering you on in your studies. Your “homework gets in the way of real life” post had me smiling.

Jess, The monsters story is too cute! Isn’t it amazing when just telling them flat out makes all the difference? For what it’s worth, we’ve told Eleanor that monsters are “good listeners” and if you tell them to leave, they will. We regularly hear her telling them to go away.

KK, hello to the soup and soap making may mama. Don’t get your pots mixed up! . Having a hairdresser partner would be a dream…

Alison’s sister and best friend threw her a surprise baby shower on Saturday. It was so sweet. Totally traditional baby shower stuff with an Alison twist (such as, an insanely hard trivia game, for which each correct answer revealed a portion of a rebus, and then the rebus was directions for where to find her present). They got us a car seat and a cumquat tree with seed packets hanging all over it for the yard. I love the idea of planting something for the baby.

Alison has a quilt idea which totally rocks. I made one for Eleanor, but I have not even begun one for this baby and I was expressing my angst over this. She said, how about we get some white squares and as people come to see the baby they can write on one? I can later assemble them into a quilt, but I needn’t stress that it is not done in advance of the birth. Love it.

My mom is doing okay at home with very little treatment. The debate between her doctors about what to do is in full swing…one thinks an adrenal issue, one thinks she psychotropically over-medicated, she thinks it’s dehydration and drinking too much Diet Coke. It’s going okay for her to just be resting at home, but I do wish they would come up with a plan soon. My dad is doing well and his scans are looking as good as can be hoped for. He’s still improving or holding his own against the cancer, which is really, really amazing.

I am feeling more settled and I have a therapy appointment this afternoon to unload all the remaining emotional schtuff. Hopefully I can get myself to settle down a bit because I feel pretty wound up.

On that note, our cat got out yesterday and we haven’t seen her since. She has a collar, but she’s old and it was really cold last night. I spent all morning looking for her and there is no sign. Sigh.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:00 PM

phew...Alison just called me to say that she found Willow. She seems fine after being out all night!
Old 01-15-2007, 08:07 PM

Lisa- So glad to hear an update. I'm glad things are balancing a little with your parents, etc. I hope things continue to improve. The quilt idea is cool. A friend of ours did that for her bridal shower; it was nice. I'm thinking of you and Alison as January marches on! Can't wait for the news.

I have a sneaky little suspicion that Fiddle might go a little early. Not *too* early, just a bit. So maybe ya'll will have matching birthdays for your seconds!

DucetteMama - it is really cool that you have such a bond with your partner. I feel the same about my wonderful DH. But he definitely didn't know that I was pregnant. In fact, he looked at the HPT and still didn't believe it.

And I do wish he was a hair stylist. He is sooo far from that it's not even funny. He rarely even notices his hair, as in leaves the house with bedhead almost every time.

Renae - can't wait to see tatt pics! I'm already jonesing for my next one. I think it will be some additions to the one I have on my lower back - some outlining, etc. But DH gets his next, so it will be a while.

I just got back from a couple of hours with my friend and her 4-week-old. Took me back. Her babe is adorable but a lot like Lily was with respect to sleep/alertness. She has to work to get her to sleep and she's fussy a lot. I totally love helping her out with the babe (today I put her sleep bouncing on the ball, walked around the house with her, etc. while my friend showered and ate) but I was SO glad to be able to leave. I am so not cut out to have another infant. Major kudos to those of you who've done it, are doing it, and are planning to do it again! The more I'm around infants the more sure I am that Lily is IT.

Speaking of, Lily is getting so "big." I love how she kind of orbits around us but doesn't always need immediate attention. LOVE it. Often when she asks us to read to her or something, we can even say "No, honey, I'm doing XYZ; why don't you read/play/dance/whatever by yourself?" and she'll be okay with that. Just love it. It only gets better from here, right? Right? And on days when she's more needy I feel myself getting ansy and annoyed. It's hard for me to let go of expectations. Once she's done something one time or behaved a certain way, I get annoyed when she doesn't do it again or whatever. I've got to remember that she's only 2...

OK, enough procrastination. Love yous!

Sarah

User Tag List