May 2004 mamas finding happiness & fulfillment in the new year! (& maybe riches) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 412 Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's the old thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?p=6885290#post6885290
#2 of 412 Old 01-01-2007, 11:48 AM

Happy New year gals!! 2 years 8 months and still going strong!

Okay Emmalola, you cannot avoid me forever! So, you either wanna see my hunny butt or you do not, and either way I am coming to your neck of the woods! I had posted on the last thread and either you didn't read it or...well, *sniff* I've had worse things happen.:

*yawn* I tried & tried to tell the girls that today would be a SLEEP-IN kind of day, and they just don't respect my authority, dangit.
#3 of 412 Old 01-01-2007, 01:40 PM

Happy 2007 to my maymamapeeps!

Just making my first post in the new year.

We werre all asleep by midnight last year, we're old fogies, i guess. The girls watched a movie and ate popcorn, but that's as wild and crazy as we got here!
#4 of 412 Old 01-01-2007, 01:51 PM

subbing and saying thanks for all the wise words and support over yonder. thank you. thank you.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#5 of 412 Old 01-01-2007, 02:14 PM

I'm here...reading Internet & such accentuates my nausea, so i'm not reading much. but, i had to subscribe! I'll try to write more when i can. love to you all!
#6 of 412 Old 01-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Hey, just hey.

Love to all.
#7 of 412 Old 01-01-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne View Post
Okay Emmalola, you cannot avoid me forever! So, you either wanna see my hunny butt or you do not, and either way I am coming to your neck of the woods! I had posted on the last thread and either you didn't read it or...well, *sniff* I've had worse things happen.:
No no no! I'm not avoiding you! In fact, I spent most of my pre-awake time this morning fretting over the fact that I haven't given you my information or made plans with you yet... and planning what sort of cool things we could do while you're in the Land of Enchantment! My information is on the YG, so you can always figure out how to contact me that way. Truth be told, I can't wait to meet you. :

Jacqueline- keep hanging in there! If internet makes you ick, then just think about a cute little kitten hanging from a tree branch, hanging in there. awwwww.
#8 of 412 Old 01-01-2007, 06:14 PM

Just subscribin'! Nice thread title, KK! :
Happy, happy New Year, everyone! DH and I were up till about 12:45 last night, much to our regret when Rowan woke up at 7am! :yawning: I got up with him and we watched Sesame Street and then I made waffles, eggs and potatoes and we woke DH for breakfast! We've been in our pajamas all day and have been taking turns napping. : Rowan has been ALL ABOUT DADDY this weekend, to the point where I walk in the room and he says "Go AWAY, Mama!" It makes me kinda but I know it's normal...right??? I hope so, anyway.

We're fighting colds here, I think I won my fight but DH lost his. Zinc is gross, but it rules.

My BF called me from the bar she was at and I got to hear all the New Year revelry. She makes me , but well, I love her. I hope she's feeling better this afternoon (she was hungover, apparently!)

The wildest we got last night was well, staying up late, getting a *little* inebriated, and playing Atari video games. I put up the new calendars too, which is always fun.

Today, despite being tired, I've also had this urge to clean, organize, that sort of thing. Our dining room looks pretty, and I dusted a bit.

We are so having a premade pizza for dinner tonight. Organic spinach and cheese! :

Have a wonderful rest of the day, mamas. Much to you all! So thankful we're friends! MMF!
#9 of 412 Old 01-01-2007, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Z says to me, as he's lying next to me (for his nap): "Mommy, you have such beautiful eyebrows. I don't have eyebrows." (and he's petting my eyebrows the whole time ) Can you tell that I'm the darkest one in my family? His eyebrows *are* pretty invisible...
#10 of 412 Old 01-01-2007, 11:42 PM

Eyebrows, tee hee! Viet thinks it's funny our daughters have "no" eyebrows too. They do, in fact Amara has inherited her father's "diabolical" eyebrows--they arc very sharply.

emmalola, going to pm you shortly!
I look forward to meeting you too.

Heather, just wanting to send you some extra loooove, because my response o'er yonder was lame-o. Basically, what every one else said, especially emmalola's "clinical" response.
#11 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 01:00 AM

Happy New Year!

We got a whole crapload of stuff for Christmas. I have decided to let everyone I know that for L's birthday (and all future gift-giving occassions) that I would really appreciate it if they could limit themselves to ONE, non-noisy, gift.

Soon we're gonna have four people in a tiny two-bedroom apartment. People know this, but they just can't hold themselves back. Actually, it wasn't really as bad as I feared in terms of volume of stuff, it's just that we're already bustin at the seams.

I am very aware that I give birth next month and that January is "it" in terms of a chance to get things ready for the babe. The house is dirty and I have so many projects I want to get to, but no time. (But hey, I worked on my secret santa gift last night! ). I have a major burst of nesting/New Year's energy. Today I went through L's room and was RUTHLESS in getting rid of stuff that was either large or seldom used. So his room is now under control (at least till we have to put baby stuff in it .

By the way- msg to my secret santa: the gift was PERFECT. I only had one of those things, and it was ugly, wheras yours is _beee-utiful_.
#12 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 AM

dude, sherri just called us "maymamapeeps" : :

fiddle, do tell what your secret may mama santa gave you... inquiring minds wanna know...

heather: i read your post on the yg but had nothing personal to add and everyone who responded seemed so much more knowledgable. when i am not in the sad-minded, missing my mom state of the past few days, i will probably respond over there somehow. please know i'm thinking of you.

sarahb: thinking of you and hoping you made it/are making it back to pdx-land safely today.

gotta go... few minutes of both small people sleeping soundly to spend with the other adult in the household.

happy 2007, mama-yamas!

~claudia
(who will continue to abuse ellipses in the new year... )
#13 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 10:55 AM

Happy birthday to me, Happy BIRTHDAY toooo meeee...!
Heehee. Not like it feels like anything special. Guess that's what happens when DH has to work today, *I* have to work tonight, and Rowan doesn't know any better. Hahah. It's all good though. I got cards from both my boys, and DH got me a month of guitar lessons (in addition to fixing my broken old crappy guitar! Woot!) so now it's just a matter of making an appointment for lessons. Hah. Wonder when THAT will happen?!
We're going to the Children's Museum this morning (after Curious George! : ) to do this preschool play thing. It should be fun; we haven't been there in AGES.

I feel like I never have anything good to say (in response to all the discussions on the YG), but I do think of you fondly and with MUCH I love you all.

I feel kinda optimistic about the coming year. I predict CHANGES, mamas, and hopefully they'll be good ones.
It is an effort to change my way of thinking from Ms. Pessimist to well...anything else. But I am working on it. I was thinking some VERY dark thoughts last night...but I think I'm better today. Ugh.

Sorry, I'm all over the place mood-wise this morning. Rowan woke really grumpily and I had to get very creative in order to get him into a fresh diaper and pants he can actually wear outdoors in 40-degree-weather. *sigh* He's wanted to live in his pajamas every day lately. Most of the time, that's cool, and today he's even still in the pajama top! But the pants were too thin for the cold weather and he wouldn't let me put anything on TOP of them, so I had to fib and tell him they were wet and needed to dry out. : I know, I know...I just DON'T know what to do sometimes. I'm trying not to tell him no unnecessarily, but sometimes, we must wear pants in New England winter weather, you know?

Anyway, enough babble out of me this morning, I hope you all have a great day.
#14 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 02:02 PM

beginning of day one with me as a solo parent to two during the day... *sigh* at least i got 3.5 months of help during the day. my friend just had her second on the 22nd and her partner was home last week and will be home the rest of this week and then he's back to work. she's worried because she had some ppd issues after her first was born. at least she birthed this one vaginally, as she was getting scare tactics from the ob office about a c/s during her whole pregnancy because her first had a shoulder dystocia and she thinks a c/s birth would have added a whole bunch of issues to the table.

last night was a second night of going to sleep madness for M... :crazy: it took close to wo hours for him to fall asleep once in bed. late naps in the car the past couple of days didn't help matters either. hoping it's just the transition from a houseful of people to just us and he will get back to the usual soon.

okay, he's done with brekkie so i gotta go.

~c
#15 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 02:07 PM

Just wanted to give you some encouragement on your new journey by yourself during the day! You WILL find a routine and you WILL succeed! I know what a strong mama you are and you will be fine, it will be a bit of an adjustment period, but in the end you'll be stronger and more capable! I'm so sorry you are missing your mom. I'm in a funk, too, missing my mom. I wish I could have spent some of the holiday season with her.
#16 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 04:58 PM

Another boost of support from me, Claudia---one thing that changed for Sol is she ditched the nap, and that 3 pm shift is hard to deal with but she makes it through okay, then it's a 6.30 or 7 pm bedtime for bonzo while viet holds amara, then a little later (half an hour) amara goes down. It has taken us about 5 months to find our groove, and who knows how long it will last, but it works.
#17 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 05:40 PM

More thoughts and support to you, Claudia!
Hope this first day is going well!
#18 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Happy birthday, Renae! Don't do anything I wouldn't do.

TC, let us know how the first day went. I'm thinking of you, too.

Another day of underwear. Keep your fimmers crossed.

School restarts for T tomorrow. He's been ready to go back for about a week. We're going to try to come to some sort of resolution about Z and which preschool here shortly, too. I'm not fretting about T's old school as much... I think I can talk to the teachers about my concerns... I hope that they can address them well.

My friends IRL are finally getting serious with me about setting up a babysitting co-op. We're going to discuss rules on Thurs. I'm *really* excited about that.

Okay. Off to make muffins with the big boy.
#19 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RENAE!!!!
#20 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 09:35 PM

happy birthday renae!!!!!!! i hope you're having a great day

i hope you're surviving your 1st day claudia.

our new years was crazy. i definitely won't be doing that next year with a 3 year old and 6 month old. no way jose. i'll consider the year after. but it was fun. isaac was still scootering around at 1am asking 'where did the kids go?' they're SLEEPING! but the bunks were basically on a balcony above the main room where there was a dance party followed by guitar playing and singing. it was way too loud for sleeping but somehow every other kid managed it and they disappeared one by one. there was a big circular fireplace in the center surrounded by camp chairs. so isaac became addicted to this little 3wheel spiderman scooter that one of the kids brought. he figured it out and could ride around and around. 'i go so fast!' (not really but not bad for a 2yo). he danced with me and looooooooves listening to guitar. and they roasted a whole pig and fried 2 turkeys so i pigged out (literally) and served a big ol breakfast. 10 hail marys to the vegan nuns!!!!!!!! i think doug even had fun we all had to have major naps yesterday.

our attempt at underwear has gone nowhere. but he is having dry diapers once in a while in the morning! miracle. well, 2 times now.

i gained 4lbs in a month. not bad. that is something i would have done over christmas even not being pregnant!!! and my u/s is in 2 weeks.

our ability to keep isaac at his school is looking pretty slim. i think it is $430 for 2 full days a week and $360 for 2 half days a week. that's a lotttttta money if i'm not working much. but i am pretty sure i want to 'phase' him out rather than abruptly take him out. ie. i hope i can do 2 days for june and july or something before we are clearly too busted to keep it going. maybe it will just be june. my friend worked at a preschool in NE and said one day a week is $80. So maybe 2 is a hundred something. but they have up to 20 kids in a day : and isaac's is limited to 10 right now and maybe 12 in the next class. i kinda like the small class thing.

a babysitting co-op sounds good.

i have to go to a public meeting in 2 days where the neighborhood requested an air quality expert *looks around* crap, that's me. aghgggghhh! i hope they don't do this : i'm nervous

ok enough procrastination from moi.
#21 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 09:35 PM

KK---I am salivating at the thought of a babysitting co-op...I so wish that were an option for me right now! Let us know how it goes!

Renae--hope your birthday was fun! Or perhaps the fun is just beginning!! We're tentatively planning a President's day weekend up in CT...we must get together! Aquarium or IL's or something! Or if it's not too snowy we might just come find ya!

Claudia---you will find your way with your guys. My DH only took a week off too and it was : . So sorry it's such a sad time with your mom gone and getting into your groove with the new routines. Snacks left on the table where C could get them were a lifesaver as she was inevitably always desperately hungry when I was feeding E or cleaning poo.

FF--: wowza...so excited for you to meet this new little one!!

Cuh-razy day here. C still has a raging ear infection so now on different abx. Her mood is well obviously : . Both girls had PT today before the run to the peds office...then the run to the pharmacy and waiting for the meds with a : toddler was so fun. On the way I did manage to drop some things at the thrift store and freecycled lots of stuff today. Girls had their reviews for PT today and E met one of her goals and after the PT left actually crosscrawled a few feet which is a first! We have the ortho tomorrow for her and before that the old OT is BACK!!! : to see E. Yay! Hopefully we'll get to spend some time planning some feeding goals for her since the other OT was useless in that dept. One of my personal goals has been met (see avatar) and I am the last person to think that would be a goal or that I would be happy to see that. Sure beats swaddle feeding!

I'm tired just listening to myself babble....

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#22 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 10:26 PM

survived the first day. only broke down crying twice. only took rescue remedy twice. managed to get M to nap in the car but it was not a pretty sight. and then as soon as i pulled the car into the garage with both boys sleeping, i turned it off, closed the garage door and S woke up and proceeded to have a difficult hour.

maybe more later but oht with a squirmy babe who hates the sitting pose is challenging and i hate using abbreviations...

~c
#23 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 10:53 PM

OH, Claudia!! I did the napping the child in the car too, it was my only coping technique for a while. And I cried, every day, for what seemed like months. However, I haven't cried every day (for one reason or another) in a while now...so long I can't remember when it was that I cried every day. But yes, frustration, unhappiness, overwhelm, it all kicks in. AND IT'S OKAY, IT WILL PASS! Sherri is right. And think--if elsanne can do it, you can do it! It's true! I am just now getting "out" with both girls every so often. But I can see how down the road, as we get it going on, it's going to be imperative to get out at least once a day. As hard as it is to get out (details, man. the DETAILS!). And Sol is already so much more mature, and understands and "minds" a bit better.
#24 of 412 Old 01-02-2007, 11:56 PM

enchiladas are in the oven. mmmmmmmmm

oh it sounds so scary. (the 2nd babe thing). i hope you get your groove back claudia. you will you will you will!

i've had a couple of days lately with isaac where my frustration levels have been so high i'm thinking 'i can't BELIEVE i am having another one' we've had some difficult times. he is SO hard sometimes to deal with. and if 3 is worse than 2 as i often hear i am really not looking forward to it. and i just feel like i am doing this whole thing 'wrong' some days. kwim? like yesterday. he wants to take the coffee pot in the bathtub : no calm sweet logical 'you can't take the coffee pot in the bathtub...it is made of glass and will break' is detering him. so he is screaming and i'm trying to peel his little fingers off one by one while not bashing the thing into the cast iron tub and breaking it. not fun. or this weekend when he is screaming at the top of his lungs in the elevator at target. confined space. loud kid. other people. i just want to hit the 'disappear me' button. i'm wondering where i missed the boat with this child. he is so obnoxious. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. like i think i am generally 'sweet' and laid-back in my approach to things and dealing with people and you would think this would result in a 'sweet' natured child. but no. i guess it doesn't work like that. (or i am grossly offbase on my self-perception )

dear god i hope the 2nd one is chill.
#25 of 412 Old 01-03-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
enchiladas are in the oven. mmmmmmmmm

dear god i hope the 2nd one is chill.
a) I made enchiladas the other day, in the oven too. Here they laugh at me for making enchiladas in the oven.

b) your second one will be chill, just watch. Ooooh I so wonder what you're having! My intuition says girl.
#26 of 412 Old 01-03-2007, 12:37 AM

p.s. check out recent girl pix in my blog/sig.
#27 of 412 Old 01-03-2007, 02:05 AM

love the dancing butt crack pic, els. sol's hair is sooooooooooo long. and you look bee-yoo-tee-full in that family pic. : sending you peaceful journey vibes on your way to nuevo mexico...

i got one more little crying breakdown in as i was putting S to sleep a little while ago. i honestly don't know how i'm going to do this. i keep reminding myself, just one moment at a time, claudia, one moment. it's just like laboring with a baby, just one moment and then the next and then the next and before you know it, it's over. breathe... breathe... breathe... i'm glad to say that i do feel more connected to bill these past few days. he's been particularly attentive to daily life details like helping to plan out a menu for dinners for the week, cleaning up dishes after his cooking and putting dishes in the dishwasher after eating, giving me a hug to let me know we're in this together. it's hard, this parenting thing.

thanks for thinking of me, my maymamas. keep sending me good thoughts.

~claudia
#28 of 412 Old 01-03-2007, 02:48 AM

LOVE those pictures. the cuteness!

the enchiladas were great but gave me heartburn : dagnabbit. and how else would you cook them (besides oven)? just roll em up on a plate with sauce? i like the ol 70s cassarole approach

i can't keep up with that portland thread :

claudia i want to give you a big ol hug!!!!!!!! and i'm glad bill is being attentive. stars must be aligning in the men arena because doug prepped the enchiladas after i got the ball rolling and then did the dishes too. YES.

gnight ladies
#29 of 412 Old 01-03-2007, 03:15 AM

Sending you a big HUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGG, Claudia.

Hope tomorrow is easier.
#30 of 412 Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 AM

Haha, my last mini-post used a DIFFERENT COLOR!! I was posting to another forum where I use that color instead for some reason, and I guess I was just on auto-pilot.
Back to Indigo now though!
So um...it's like 8:15 and Rowan is STILL asleep! He woke at 7, wanted me to pat his back (actually he cried for DADDY, but he was in the shower so he settled for me. ) and now, still sleeping. I won't mess with it!

My friend who I do a babysitting trade with (co-op? Not sure...she watches Rowan Wednesday mornings, I watch her DS Friday morns) is not coming over today, her son has a tummy bug (I don't fear colds, but stomach viruses?? Stay AWAY! ) so I am taking him to our LLL eval meeting--totally not a hardship, he'll have all sorts of friends to play with, and it's a nice pre-LLL meeting with a core group of women who organize the regular meetings, etc. I love it. Rowan loves it too, so I was actually kinda sad that I was going to be going w/o him, but now I'm not! So anyway.

I really don't have anything productive to say at ALL this morning. I am especially fuzzy-headed because work sucked last night (yeah, my birthday kinda sucked too...I had to work my off at the store last night, we had a LOT of cleaning to do and I swear, I don't even clean my HOUSE as well as I did the store last night! :yawning So yeah. Blah blabity blah...I was there way too late and I ate dinner way too late and went to bed way too late...you get the picture.
But this evening DH is taking me to my fave pseudo-Mexican restaurant after our chiro appointments, so that'll be yummy. Speaking of enchiladas!

Elsanne, omg. What a freaking adorable family you have! Beautiful mama, you!
Looooove the bellydancing picture! And the tribal baby gear! Beautiful earthy child!
And that rug, it really does tie the room together!
I SO have to update my pics on the YG! I will, I swear! Um, tonight? : (new fave smiley to abuse!)

Claudia, SO many s and good vibes coming your way! I remember crying every day those first few months alone with Rowan (and when DH was going to grad school and I was alone with a newborn from 6am-10pm!!)...and those doing it with two...I've said it before, I'll say it again... You freakin' RULE.

jstar, that New Years' sounded a-m-a-z-i-n-g! I wish ours was that awesome! We did go into the city (Providence) at night and we saw fireworks and a friend play at a club...Rowan was in awe of her; she's a friend from church and he'd NEVER seen her perform before! www.kmetal.net (her name's Kristi--we love her!) So anyway, good New Years, but we were still home by 8:30!

Okay, totally babbling now. I feel like a flake. I am going to drink more coffee now.

Oh, and Heather! YES! We WILL hang out whenever you get yourselves to CT! Just let us know! Hope C is feeling better!

ETA: I am so totally eating birthday cake for breakfast. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page