Happy New Year June 05 Mamas!!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-stasis View Post
Anyone got a better way to get her to stop pinching me?
I'd just start pinching her back. KIDDING!!!! Sage sometimes hits me when I'm rocking her for naptime and she still wants stories. All I say is, "You may not hit. Hitting hurts." Then I tell her what to do instead of hitting, either snuggle or go to her crib.
#122 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 02:47 AM

BTW this hasn't stopped her from hitting me, but it has lessened in the last little while (knock wood).
#123 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 09:47 AM

Claire gets a bottle and then rocked in her room around 8pm. Then we put her in the crib and she falls asleep in there. That's the advantage of the crib, they can't get out and you can't lie down with them. We just tell her "Good Night! Love you!" She says "Night, night! Wuv you!" and goes right to sleep most nights. Sometimes she will play around in there with her baby.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#124 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 10:12 AM

Ugh, Selena, I wish. Cully has always been a twiddler. I've had no luck for over a YEAR trying to get him to stop, so I just battle his little hands. He's gotten *better*, meaning if I say "OW" he will stop, pat my chest with an open hand, and then go back to twiddling. Night time is the worst, he just doesn't seem to notice he's doing it, and if I try to stop him (by wrapping blankets around myself or gently redirecting his hands or whatever) he gets SUPER MEGA PI$$ED OFF. It's a constant struggle and my biggest hurdle over continuing to nurse him. No intentions of stopping, but it's hard to remain enthusiastic about it when my boobs are covered in claw marks.

Sleep - he's teeting his canine, so all bets are off. Usually, he goes down around 8, after I nurse him and read him a book. DH scoops him up and goes to lay down with him, he falls asleep usually til about 11 or 12 and then wants to nurse. We are transitioning him to his big boy bed right now as well (he comes in with us when he wakes up). He gets up anywhere from 7:30-8:30.

We are getting out of here to go to a LLL meeting. There's a local AP group that meets up, and there will be a few members there, so I'm looking forward to meeting some moms! I'm having supply issues on just the right side, too, and while I'm not holding out any hope that anyone has a magical remedy for this (milk is just GONE, all the herbs and oatmeal are helping the left side, but not the right) I figure it can't hurt to ask.
#125 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 10:17 AM

Joey nurses to sleep. We cosleep on our queen sized mattress on the floor, and we've also got her crib mattress on the floor next to it. So, she nurses till she's full, pops off, puts her bink in, rolls onto her mattress and goes to sleep. MOST nights.

Some nights, she fights sleep for everything it's worth. Even though she's so tired she can't stand up. Those nights I have to physically hold her so she'll stop moving around long enough to fall asleep. I ask her, "can we cuddle?" and she'll say "Yeh" and then I just wrap my arms around her so she can't move : It sounds awful, doesn't it? Like I'm holding her down or something. I think she likes feeling secure against me.

Explains why, every morning, first thing, she goes "TIE TIE!" (We've got a Maya Tie that she loves suddenly )

Last night was rough. She fell asleep as usual, and I went to sleep at the same time, 'cause I've been beat. Then she woke up at 3AM saying "EAT! EAT!" I convinced her to wait in the bed while I got her something to eat, after establishing that she didn't want milk ("NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!") Then, I brought her in a cup of water and a cereal bar. Another "NOOOOooooooooooooo!" I ended up holding her while cried and then she nursed herself back down to sleep. I don't know if she was really hungry or if she just wanted to get up and go play But, dude, we were up for an hour. And then SHE got to sleep late. I had to come to work :

I'm going to POAS on Saturday, in case I haven't mentioned that. I'll let you guys know how that goes. :

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#126 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 10:32 AM

Woo hoo, good luck Sharon Anne! This morning I am so tired I feel like I NEVER want another baby, EVER:

I am fascinated that so many babies are in their own beds already. It's something I'm considering and my mother (who is the only person I know well whose babies slept in a crib!) keeps saying it's a bad idea. She's not one to offer up opinions, so I do take her seriously. The thing is that Danny is still in our room in his crib, and Miles is next door in his room. The big plan is to finish painting one of the bedrooms upstairs and move Miles up there, and Danny next door. Seems like a good opportunity to move him into a bed if we were to do so.

Anyway, at this point, we're trying hard to get down a nighttime routine -- bath at 6:45, books in the big bed 'til 7:15, Danny in his crib to look at his own books and fall asleep (with our company) at 7:30. He has been doing this (pre pink eye), but now will only fall asleep for me -- dh just winds him up. He was also sleeping through the night until Christmas -- these days he wakes up at some point and needs to be taken into our bed where he is still a terrible co-sleeper -- no one gets any real rest, including him. It's awful! I'm exhausted! Maybe I should post over in Family Bed, though I'm afraid I'll be flamed for the crib....

So, you who've used/use toddler beds and twin beds, can you say some more about it? Miles co-slept forever, and nursed to sleep 'til he was two, so this is all new to me. Many thanks
#127 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 02:14 PM
mcs

oh-ya, i am so jealous. we start eisa's bedtime at 8ish with a bath (everyother night) and then into our bed (with her bed attached and one side off) by around 9-9:30 and we read a few books. lately, she likes both hilger and i to be in there, then he sais goodnight, and i nurse her to sleep. this takes anywhere from 20-60 min. She usually wakes up a little after we go to bed and then i don't know how many times and nurses back to sleep. i sleep through it, but am not rested.
i did not try the ncss or jay gordon like i have said i would. i just can't get up the energy and hilger is not really overflowing either and he is as big a baby when he hasn't had enough sleep. though, to be fair, he does try to let me sleep late when he is home.
oh, she wakes between 7 and 9. and naps from around 1-3 or 4.
let me say again how jealous i am...

last night, for some reason, she would not sleep till midnight. i fell asleep at 11 and let hilger do the work. he is still sick, but i was just out. i feel bad.

eisa can do body parts and the tune of "abc.." or "twinkle twinkle" depending on which we have sung most recently and loves other "movement songs" her fav. today is "the wheels on the bus." she is also quite a dancer- real interpretive moves- lol. mostly though she jusy loves babies, books, and keys. her babies do everything- wave goodbye, the movement songs, look at books, diaper changes, and now even nurse b/c i showed her as an alternative to the bottles my mom gave her.

here is another question- how much time are your dc spending with other kids outside of your home? i feel like i really don't get eisa out enough, this weekend we were with a friend and her 15 m dd and eisa is talking about her non-stop. "meka-meka...." most women i know work though.

ok, early nap time. no suprise.
mcs

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#128 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 02:41 PM

Michelle, Joey only really sees her cousins on a fairly regular basis; once every couple weeks, although, once Andrew's kidney issues are cleared up, we'll hopefully be able to see them more often. She does really well around other kids, even large groups, as we found at Aedan's birthday party in November.

I worry sometimes, too, that she's not getting enough peer interaction....but then, I think that I had hardly any peer interaction at her age, too, and that didn't change till I was about 3 or so and started playing more with some of the kids in my neighborhood. Even that, tough was really limited, until, of course, I started kindergarten at 5. The result was that I've always been a bit on the mature side for my age and related well to "adults" my whole life.

The downside is that it made me really work hard at being an irresponsible "kid" in college. :

#129 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Chatty chatty today!!!

To start...sleep: put nightime dipe on, lay in bed, hook up pump, kiss goodnight, leave. He holds his blankie and drifts off.

In a crib, no way he would stay in a toddler bed hooked to a pump!

not much kid time out of house..he gets quite a bit of adult time at therapy tho and he loooves to flirt!

pinching /hitting....He has been hitting since the surgery, and we tried everything. Now we just hold his hand gently(but dont give it back for almost 30 seconds ) and speak quietly to him" No hit mama..not nice...that hurts"

Man, he HATES IT when we keep his hand like that, but it has cut back tremendously.
#130 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
I'm going to POAS on Saturday, in case I haven't mentioned that. I'll let you guys know how that goes. :
:

We never used toddler beds. When it came time to move Maddie out of the crib, we thought why bother with the expense of a toddler bed. We got a great deal on a twin bed and chose that. Then we added the guard rail from Target. She likes having one of us lay down with her at night so when it came time for Ellysia to get her bed we again chose a twin bed. Then moved the guard rail over to that. I'm not sure what we'll do with Claire since there isn't room for a twin bed in Maddie and Ellysia's room (unless we bought bunk beds) nor is there room in the nursery for a twin bed. We'll have to see when next fall rolls around.

Claire doesn't get a lot of kid exposure other than her sisters. She'll play with the cousins on most Sundays. Maybe once a month DH will have his sister's two kids come over for a mini-play group. She does love Kindermusik and so that is her main exposure. We don't let her go to the nursery at church or anywhere she might get exposed to her food allergies so that cuts back on many places.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#131 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-stasis View Post
I really wish she could just fall asleep on her own and I know DH thinks that if we didn't do the co-sleeping thing then she would be more independant in this area. It bugs me that he thinks that, but it might very well be true as most crib babies I know can fall asleep on their own to some degree at this age.
ds never slept in a crib, always coslept and he puts himself to sleep now. i think it just depends on the babe. this was a big issue for my dh as well but then to see that everything turned out ok has convinced him that cosleeping is the way to go. i'm sure it'll all work out

SA!!!!!

we've had a crappy (literally) morning. nothing like waking up to a toddler whose dipe has exploded all over him and his room: i've got class soon and a house to clean. hope everyone's day is going better than mine!

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#132 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamohumm6 View Post
Cully's about 26 lbs. he's taaaaaall and skinny, just like his dh. He's 34 inches tall.
Dh had that heroin chic thing going until he married me.

Good luck on the house Grace!!

Colors - nope. Body parts - yes. Animals/noises - yes. He eats with utensils quite well and uses a big boy cup (until he shakes it and it gets replaced with a sippy cup. ). He still doesn't say a lot - he *can* repeat what we say, but most of the time he chooses not to. I think we have about 15-20 words in his vocab? he understands most everything.

so funny how they all learn different things at different rates!
Gwen is almost exactly where he is on everything. lol She repeats all sorts of things, but doesn't use them all regularly. I don't know for sure on ht/wt but I'd guess she's around there. Then, I could be way off... no clue.
#133 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabellee View Post
we've had a crappy (literally) morning. nothing like waking up to a toddler whose dipe has exploded all over him and his room:!
Oh, I think DH had that day not too long ago. Claire got her hands inside her jammies. Not good to fingerpaint with what you find inside. Hope your day got better!

#134 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 04:55 PM

Annabelle - the 'poo party' is slowly but surely becoming my biggest fear. Other moms up here have been telling horror stories and scaring me senseless! Although for the moms who lock their kids in their rooms at night, I can't help but think, 'what did you think would happen?'

Sage has lots of friends. I think it helped that I babysat another girl about 1 month older for a while. She was at her 'best friend's' house this morning while I got my hair cut. They actually play together, not just beside each other. They play peekaboo, run up and down the hall, giggling away and pass each other Little People back and forth. It's so cute to watch and we can let them be alone together because neither of them is rough, so no pushing/hitting etc. We go to the Toy Library almost every morning, so there's a lot of opportunity for interaction with other kids. We're really lucky to have a government who recognizes how important these things are.
#135 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Wow, Titus isn't the biggest baby anymore! He just got weighed for the first time by a doctor since he was 7 months old, and he's 28.5 lbs. Not my chubby guy anymore.

You guys are all going to hate me for what I'm going to say next, but please remember how aweful our first year of sleep was!
Titus loves going to bed, and sleeps 10.5 hours straight, pretty much on the nose, every night. It used to be 11-12 hours, but I'm coping just fine with 10.5.
He's in a pack and play right now next to our bed (since we're living with my sister) and any person in the house can take him up between 8-9 (he doesn't have a preference who) to bed.
We brush his teeth, read he and his stuffed animals a book, pretend to give them sips of water and tuck them in, then he dives in on top of them and says "bye-bye" while we leave the room. It's so awesome, I never expected it from this kid! It takes about 5 minutes.

He naps for 3-4 hours at 1 every day too, same routine.

On the sadder news, we went from nightweaning to total weaning right around Christmas. I'm sad about it, but I don't fell guilty either. I always said I would go as long as I could handle it, and his behavior over it (at night) just got to the point that I didn't feel like I could deal with it anymore. It took about 4 days or something, and he was mostly ok with it.

I think my milk is all gone now, just in time for the new baby I'll end up with maybe 7 months off of nursing

As far as pottying goes, we just use the seat that fits onto the big toilet, and he does the sign for poop if I ask him if he needs to go. He doesn't initiate anything yet, but he likes going when I offer.

Oh, and a totally unexpected side effect of weaning is that Titus is WAY into his dad right now. Like, almost to the point of preferring him over me. Pat is thrilled since he's always been second rate in ds's eyes, but it's a wierd switch.

I'm enjoying the extra space
#136 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 05:27 PM

Hey I'm almost to a thousand posts!

Also, living with a 3.5 years old and an 8 month old gives him pretty regular interaction, but then there's nursery at church, and random friends' kids too during the week. He really like other kids.

Sha-- I can't remember what POAS means, but I think I should say good luck to you, right? Good Luck!
#137 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 PM

Ok, I swear I'm not just trying to rack up the posts but no, mcs, that is not me singing on my myspace. It's a girl from Portland who is really good named Laura Gibson.
I do sing on the songs on the link in my siggy though.
#138 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsGrace View Post
Sha-- I can't remember what POAS means, but I think I should say good luck to you, right? Good Luck!

POAS is Pee On A Stick And thanks! 'member when we were in the baby race together? You beat me! :

#139 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

SA and Grace!

SA i cant wait til you poas!
#140 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom View Post
SA and Grace!

SA i cant wait til you poas!
Me either! Which is why I did it today! : BFN, big surprise : Only 10 dpo and not even with first morning urine

I'm not at all convinced I'm not pregnant yet

#141 of 313 Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 PM
mcs

sharron anne- oh, too bad. what do all of those numbers mean? the only good news is that you can keep trying.

no "poo parties" here yet. i can sure wait on that.

grace- don't feel too bad about the great sleep- you certinly deserve it! too bad about weaning, but at least you have a little break in between. i wonder about that with myself- assuming that i get pregnant again soon.

well, we missed our outing today b/c eisa took 4 hours to get down for a nap! have you ever heard of something so insane? i mean, i wasn't activly trying the whole time, but just offering. i knew if i put her in the car to go somewhere, she would just be out in two min. and we would have to come home- so i didn't want to put in the effort. i just kept thinking "any min. now..." We were going to go to a library in lower manhatten that has a good preschool program- they don't offer anything for eisa's age here on the island. i offered to volunteer and they turned me down. bah!
tomorrow morning, we will go to a special free class of music and me. hope we can get one day going as planned. i hate having hilger home! it is like being in the mountains again- my schedule is so messed up and eisa's too.

blabbing...
mcs

two girls and another on the way in feburary!
#142 of 313 Old 01-12-2007, 10:12 AM

mcs: what's the better way to see the statue of liberty? The Staten Island Ferry or the other one that goes to Ellis Island? Just wanted to hear your opinion.

OK, who brought up the sleep issues! It was a disaster last night! Claire was teething so she was up for over an hour. Just as she's getting ready to go back to sleep, Ellysia wakes up and wants me to lay down with her. Woke up from that, slept in my bed for no more than an hour - then she comes in because her panties are wet. Get her changed. Lay down with her, again sleep for an hour, Claire needs a bottle. I Just Want to Sleep for more than an hour straight!!!!! Oh well, maybe I'll get a nap in over lunch. It'll be a late night because there is a company Christmas party tonight.

#143 of 313 Old 01-12-2007, 10:13 AM

Grace: go for the 1000!

#144 of 313 Old 01-12-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

#145 of 313 Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 PM

Holy crap! That is amazing!

#146 of 313 Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 PM

That's crazy! 5 kids! And the boy didn't look much older than 2 and the little girl looked maybe like she was 1.

#147 of 313 Old 01-12-2007, 03:35 PM

Ok guys! Here's the new and improved staging and listing of our house! You were all right about the price too. It would have sold with no problem last summer at that price, but we listed it *right* when the market slowed down.

Oh well, we'll still be making a profit
#148 of 313 Old 01-12-2007, 03:39 PM

Grace, it looks GREAT! I'd buy it if it was in NJ

Good luck!

#149 of 313 Old 01-12-2007, 03:44 PM

Thanks Sha!
Ok, I'm going to do it.
#150 of 313 Old 01-12-2007, 03:44 PM

One

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page