It's 2007, November '05 Mamas!!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 242 Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I forgot to send you hugs, PM. My eyes are changing too- I got them lasered at 18 and now I'm getting progressively more far-sighted, which shouldn't be happening yet.
FSM Good to see you!

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#182 of 242 Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 AM

we are no vax here too..i started thinking about CP the other day..now thatelwynn is 4 and still we have had no chance of contact with it.. its kind of scary! when i was a kid we all had it.. no big deal either..people are so afraid of being sick..

ngaio is totally off dairy and wheat these days. she was sick for a while with a cold and then a horrible rash on her face that i figured out was an allergy to oranges.. we had boxes of organic mandarin oranges around the holidays and she couldnt get enuff..but the rash kept getting worse and worse and i finally went aha!! then after her sickness she started getting some rash on her belly and exema all over in little patches.. i know im sensitive to dairy and wheat, we dont eat much but some, and now that ive stopped all consumption of it for her and trying for myself her skin is getting much beter.. poor little munchkin.

im sorry for not being catively involved here these days.. i come and read but often dont have time to post.
the wee foster baby is still here..he's gaining lots of weight and is a wake more these days.. he is going on 3 weeks old!
elwynn spent the last 2 nights away at my sister's house.. its been a nice break but i miss him like crazy. i could do with never being away from my kids for more tan an hour at a time. i still have a hugely hard time being out of hearing distance from ngaio. is that totally crazy?

s to the mommas who need one..

helen, you dont know how envious i am of your pregnant self.. *sigh*
DID..how are you?!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#183 of 242 Old 01-23-2007, 12:34 PM

We are back online after our move. Our sleep has been disrupted here also, but I was expecting it. My 5 year old is the poor sleeper here. She did not sleep through the night until she was over 2 years old. I am firmly convinced that my attempts at CIO when she was under a year are a big part of the reason why she had even more sleep issues after that. Part of it though is just personality. She was up every 2-2.5 hours around the clock to bf until she was around 2 years old. As she was still getting most of her calories from bf to that point she needed to eat when she woke up! Here is some info from a woman I'm lucky to call a friend of mine about bf and sleeping http://mother-2-mother.com/pillowtalk.htm She is a big part of the reason I gave up on my attempts to do CIO with Annette and how I found out about CLW and EN. We have a toddler bed that until we just moved was Annette's set up in our room for Joseph. When he goes to bed for the night I put him in it. I always nurse to sleep before laying him down. It's just easier for me and after the sleep struggles with Annette I'm all about what is easiest for us all. I have a feeling with a little push Joseph would sleep through most nights, but I'm in no hurry to push him. I often set Annette up with some coloring or other preschool work and nap with him for his short morning nap. When Annette was little I napped every time she napped, but that doesn't work with 2 kids. It also wouldn't work if she was younger then she is which is a big part of the reason we have the age gap we have. I was anticipating another child that didn't sleep through for years and got a nice surprise.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#184 of 242 Old 01-23-2007, 12:37 PM

You totally suggested what I do now at moments. Most days I babysit two other little kids... but when I don't.. at Isaac's naptime I usually set Dominic up with an activity and nap for a half while Isaac does. He's so good.. if he gets bored he just comes into my room and sits on the bed by me playing with my hair or rubbing my back.
#185 of 242 Old 01-23-2007, 02:11 PM

Hi mamas! Wow lots to read this morning!

FSM - HI!!! Good to "see" you again. I hope your pathos isn't permanent.

Mel - Yes, I tried lecithin. Unfortunately one of the side-effects is diarrhea, and that got me big-time, so I had to stop taking it. I was all excited about it, too.

Amy - good work on the nighttime routine!

spiritmomma - I'd love to see your art, too.

We ran out of infant tylenol and decided to switch to infant motrin, and last night Rowan slept 6 hours straight in her crib - but after waking twice in 2 hours... weird. Anyway, she had a good night's sleep, but she kept making little whiny noises in her sleep which woke me up. But I go back to sleep again easily enough so it wasn't too bad. When she finally woke up she had a hard time getting out of her blanket - it was wrapped pretty tightly around her - and I'm wondering if she just likes being kind of confined when she sleeps? Maybe it's worth trying to swaddle her again? She hasn't been swaddled since she was about 12 weeks old - I worried too much about it affecting her hip development. Maybe I'll try just tucking her in more.

Her tooth is SO almost there. I bet it'll poke through today. Then she'll be more than halfway to all her baby teeth!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#186 of 242 Old 01-23-2007, 02:37 PM

Hi Fern! Hope you're enjoying your little foster baby! 3 weeks old is so tiny! Awwww. I'm 38 weeks and 1 day, just chugging along growing this baby. I'm trying to make as much special time for Winter as I can, and I'm trying to really enjoy the nighttime sleepy snuggles. It's going to be much harder to get those snuggles once I have two babies competing for them. How is Ngaio handling sharing you with the little one?
#187 of 242 Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 PM

ngaio is amazing! she LOVES babies.. if he cries she runs up to him in his cradle and rocks it and says "shhh" and if his bottle is left anywhere she brings it to him..sometimes over and over again.. she is really a little mother

i remember feeling like i needed to get all of the snuggle i could with elwynn before ngaio was born but we all just did more snuggling after..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#188 of 242 Old 01-23-2007, 04:37 PM

This morning Neela had a long conversation with my calculator held up to her ear pretending it was the telephone. She came over to me and passed it to my ear, so I said "Hi Nana" thinking she was pretending to talk to Matt's mum. She said "No....duck!", and waited for me to continue talking to the duck on the phone. After a few seconds she took it back, and continued her conversation with the duck. I love toddlers

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#189 of 242 Old 01-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
ngaio is amazing! she LOVES babies.. if he cries she runs up to him in his cradle and rocks it and says "shhh" and if his bottle is left anywhere she brings it to him..sometimes over and over again.. she is really a little mother
That is SO CUTE.
#190 of 242 Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

DiD, you are getting so close!! You must be getting excited to meet your sweet baby girl!

Fern, I'm glad everything is going well with you and the foster baby! I've been reading your blog every few days to see how y'all are doing.

Mel, that is adorable! I am just so in love with Brynnie right now. It's cuteness overload!

We are really doing well with the new bedtime routine. I posted more details on my blog if anyone is interested. I don't want to hog up the thread with our daily updates!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#191 of 242 Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 AM

I'm honored you want to see my drawing

It can be seen here I'd recommend the slide show view, otherwise the pictures are too small.

For my 2 cents, I'd be all over a wild CP exposure. I'd do in a heartbeat if I knew Isa was healthy going into it. I'd take lots of immune boosters, myself, to pass on in the milk too.

Fern! Nice to see you and hear that things are good with you and your family. Glad that foster baby is getting your Love!

FSM: and ( I think you're funny still.)

DiD: OMG! You're SO close... I can't wait to see pictures of your beautiful daughter. I'm sure you're feeling ready to meet her too!

PM: That goes for you too, sister! I'd be OH-SO-Glad to take Noah so you can have some alone time... it sounds so good doesn't it? Name your time.

*Amy* Yay for Brynn falling asleep quickly. And yay for your realistic expectations of her. I'm glad you are accepting that every night might be different and that just because she slept a shorter stretch one night, it isn't a backward step, just a different night. Many prayers and blessings as you both find peace in this new stage!
#192 of 242 Old 01-24-2007, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
The CP vax is on the required list in my state for starting school, so you have to go through the whole exemption PITA to avoid it, which is especially difficult if you selectively vax, because then you can't claim you're morally opposed to vaxes since you've done some of them.
I know that in Oregon at least it does not matter if you are selectively vaxing (in theory). That said, those people I know who do selectively vax are planning on claiming complete exemption and just not telling the school that there have been any vaxes done. We are choosing to not vax at all but we are also planning on homeschooling, so we won't have to worry about this all. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
And if anyone wants to make me feel good about our approach to sleep, you can tell me your stories of "I did nothing at all to encourage my child to sleep through the night and eventually they just did it on their own". I'm not ready to invest the effort into "fixing" her sleep pattern, so continue to night nurse every one to two hours through the night, with the occasional refreshing three or four hour stretch every week or two. If I had read this post a year ago I'd be totally depressed- but somehow we keep on keeping on :
MelW - you are not alone here. KeaganRae still wakes about every hour and a half or so most nights. I think that some babes are just prone to waking alot during the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post

im sorry for not being catively involved here these days.. i come and read but often dont have time to post.
the wee foster baby is still here..he's gaining lots of weight and is a wake more these days.. he is going on 3 weeks old!
elwynn spent the last 2 nights away at my sister's house.. its been a nice break but i miss him like crazy. i could do with never being away from my kids for more tan an hour at a time. i still have a hugely hard time being out of hearing distance from ngaio. is that totally crazy?
MamaFern- I'm glad that your wee one is doing well and gaining weight
And no, I don't think it is crazy to be away from your child. I have a hard time on the days that KeaganRae doesn't come to work with me even though I know I will get alot more done at work

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#193 of 242 Old 01-24-2007, 04:08 AM

We also just are letting FSB be at night. However, I totally intend to nightwean at 18 months like I did with my firstborn, assuming the stars are in alignement (meaning, he understands the difference between night and day, it's summer, he eats enough in the daytime, and so on). But the cosleeping and nursing, I'll keep. I love cosleeping, honestly. He wakes up about 3-4 times a night, but doesn't really wake seriously. No playing or anything.

However, I totally understand needing more sleep and needing space. I think it just comes to different parent/child dyads at different times, but at some point, there is usually a line drawn...whether at 1 or 3 or 6. I think Sears says something about if you resent it, fix it...or did he say that parents should just drink more Boone's wine to drown out their fatigue? Hmm, probably not the latter.

Is anyone else in the no-talker club with me? He will say one word for a week, and then learn a new word and drop the old one. Right now, it's bye-bye.

I did feel better though today - I looked in my old baby book and when I was 17 months old, ya know how many words I spoke? Five. Yup. And I think I talk a lot. Too much, most likely. Here, I'll shut up now.
#194 of 242 Old 01-24-2007, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Lost your funny bone, my arse, FSM!

Susannah, where in Oregon are you? (Sorry if I should know this already!) I grew up in Southern Oregon and have actually been really hoping that DH will get a job there so we can move back!

#195 of 242 Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
Is anyone else in the no-talker club with me? He will say one word for a week, and then learn a new word and drop the old one. Right now, it's bye-bye.
All Ellie says regularly (and spontaneously) are: Mama, Milk, Da! (daddy), More, and nana (banana). I keep thinking I hear a "no" pop in and out, but I'm never sure... But she's very quiet and doesn't use words very often at all. I guess its because her brother chatters all the time!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#196 of 242 Old 01-24-2007, 11:34 AM

I sat down thinking Joseph only has 2 words, but then I started writing them out and I think he has more like 6 or 7. He consistently says dada and uh-oh. He will also occasionally say dat, da which seems to mean up or down depending on which he wants, Nana for Annette and assorted things with ba which means water bottle or cup. His recent cute one is mmm ba when telling me he wants to bf. Our bf word with dd was mmm mmmies and seems to be mmm snuggles or mmm snugs with him. I guess he is branching off from that and recognizing it's also a drink.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#197 of 242 Old 01-24-2007, 02:46 PM

FSM - Rowan is pretty much a non-talker, too. She says "dah!" constantly (or "bah!" which seems interchangeable, but more often if she's pointing at something that starts with a 'b', like a bird or a ball or a balloon). The only real word she says is "bye", but she says it so cutely: "baahye" like she's from Texas. Oh and she says 'apple', when requested. That's it. Occasionally something that sounds like a word will come out, but it's never repeated.

Mel - Rowan's sleep is definitely getting better, with some hiccups, and we haven't really "done" anything beyond having her sleep with DH on the couch when I can't take it anymore or wasn't able to pick her up. Last night she slept for 7 hours straight in her crib - and I saw her start to get up once last night, then flop back down to sleep. I don't know if this will last or not, I suspect we will have some regression at some point (perhaps tonight!), but it is certainly better than it was a month ago.

Spiritmomma - love the art! Beautiful!!!!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#198 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
fsm - KeaganRae says mama, nuh nuh (hungry), and that is all he is doing now besides LOTSof vocalizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Susannah, where in Oregon are you? (Sorry if I should know this already!) I grew up in Southern Oregon and have actually been really hoping that DH will get a job there so we can move back!
We are in Salem, but DW loves Southern Oregon and if she had her way I think we would probably move there within the next 5 years or so.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#199 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
FSM - Rowan is pretty much a non-talker, too. She says "dah!" constantly (or "bah!" which seems interchangeable, but more often if she's pointing at something that starts with a 'b', like a bird or a ball or a balloon).
Yeah, same here. It's amazing how many things start with a bah, isn't it? But I was never counting those as real words. When a book, ball, baby, and bonk are all "bah." As of last week, he did call milk "maam." He tilts his head and asks, "maam?" and then lay in my lap and look expectantly. This week, nope. But he did start signing for eat and "where" - funny, because I haven't used baby sign with him for about 3 months. I gave up, thinking he would start talking soon enough as to not really need sign.
#200 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 02:54 AM

I gave Ellie her first haircut tonight! The ends of her hair were really scraggly, and I think they look better now: Before vs. After

I'd still like to cut bangs into her hair, because its always in her eyes, but DH is adamantly opposed to bangs. Bleah. I can't help but be a bit offended, since I wore bangs about half the time he's known me!

I added some video clips of the kids to my blog - check it out!

#201 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 02:58 AM

QOC, While the previous hair was very hipster-cool, the the haircut is adorable. I love the little curls.

Little barrettes are so cute on long bangs. If she'll let you leave them in. I wish I could put barrettes on FSB...sigh...

Amy, I think you should update us on your sleep drama. I'm waiting for my next installment here.
#202 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
QOC, While the previous hair was very hipster-cool, the the haircut is adorable. I love the little curls.

Little barrettes are so cute on long bangs. If she'll let you leave them in. I wish I could put barrettes on FSB...sigh...
When I'm getting her dressed in the morning she points to her bows/barrettes and then to her head (asking for one), but usually pulls it out within a few minutes. Especially in the carseat, when she's bored. If I can keep her distracted, she'll keep on in for awhile, until she notices it. She also has a recent love of hats, and her favorite is one of DS's outgrown hats. So, as soon as she finds a hat to put on, the barrette comes out.

#203 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 03:59 AM

Oh Winter has just developed some amazingly adorable behaviors lately. I am loving them. Now when he's hungry he will stare you down and sign eat eat eat eat and then walk over to the refrigerator and pull on the door like he's trying to open it. SO cute. He plays peekaboo and just grins like mad when he uncovers his eyes and you exclaim "peekaboo!" I feel like such a dork but this just makes me giggle so much. He dances when he hears music and he'll dance more if he notices you watching. He sometimes gets so overwhelmingly upset that he lays down on the floor crying. It breaks my heart. He says "Awwwww..." when he hugs my belly. He can follow a simple instruction like "Bring that to mommy" or "Put that in the basket." He doesn't always obey but he understands like you would not believe. He's started running down the hallway after his big brothers, he barely falls at all anymore. He's gotten so sure-footed. We went for a walk outside in hard-soled shoes for the first time the other day and he walked on the sidewalk and in the grass and pointed at everything. I love watching him discover the world, it makes everything seem brand new and so exciting. He doesn't talk much but he knows so much, you know? He's an amazing person and it's so hard to believe that he's barely been here a year. It's been a wonderful year, hasn't it?
#204 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
He can follow a simple instruction like "Bring that to mommy" or "Put that in the basket." He doesn't always obey but he understands like you would not believe.
It's been a wonderful year, hasn't it?
It has been a wonderful year! I'm amazed by Neela's ability to follow instructions (when she wants to- I'm also amazed by her ability to tell me NOOOO). Yesterday she was underfoot while I was making dinner, so I gave her a plastic plate and told her to go put in on the table. She took five different things out and "set" the table for me.

Q of C~ I like the hair cut! I like bangs, but once it all grows out the longer hair will be nice

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#205 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 AM

QoC: I like the haircut. And we're in the same shoes here where Isa's "bangs" are ridiculously long and in her eyes, but I'm trying to avoid cutting them too. Sometimes she'll let me put a barrette in her hair, but it often gets removed too. I find that a little banana smear helps hold that hair back out of her eyes!

DiD: : Your post made me sniffle a bit. It has been a wonderful year. Aren't are kids just wonderful? And just think, you're just about to get a whole new experience with another wonderful child!
#206 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 12:59 PM

I just wanted to pop in and say a quick hi!

and Hi FSM!

yay for the sleep successes, Amy!

Peacefulmommy, what a beautiful drawing. Thank you for sharing. I love the imagery.

Q of C, love the haircut! What sweet curls. I just cut Finley's hair this week too! I did cut bangs, which I have mixed feelings about. But I do think it looks cute overall. Only thing is, his is stick straight. The ends don't look as scraggly though. I'll post pictures on our site soon.

Fern, how fun about about the tiny one! So glad he's in your arms and getting your love and gaining weight.

To the mom asking for success stories on sleep without doing anything (can't find the name..think it's Mel?) ...well, I wouldn't call ours a huge success story, but I would say Finley sometimes sleeps through the night, most often wakes once or twice to nurse, and sometimes wakes three or four times. like fsm, it's never a big deal, is quick and easily solved with the breast, and I don't feel like my sleep is that disrupted, nor do I feel sleep deprived. And we have done NOTHING to help it along. So there is hope!

My sister in law was in town, so we were busy being hosts to her and trying to handle a delicate and awkward family situation (she's dating a man who left and divorced his wife for SIL, and also left his 4 year old daughter!!! ) It is hard to not be judgemental, but we really tried (it has been a year now), though it is also hard to hear her talk about him and the daughter nonchalantly. Anyway...
Also, am working on the investigation to find out where Finley has been exposed to lead. (don't know if i told y'all about that, but his one year appointment levels came back at 9, too high for me to be comfortable with...and they were rechecked six weeks later and came back at 8, still too high). It's not the water. Now, we'll bring in some experts to investigate the apartment.
ALSO, this has been nothing short of an awful week in terms of my husband's career. He had a major setback in his struggling/budding film career, and was fired from his day job yesterday b/c his boss is an asshole. It was just a day job, but still a major source of income, and it is still traumatizing. I'm trying hard not to fall apart and be supportive to him...and just take a deep breath and know that we will be okay and that these things aren't the end of the world.

Thanks for listening!

And yes, what incredible joys these little ones are. I'm overwhelmed with how beautiful Finley is and how blessed we are and how fun and precious this time is, savoring it.
#207 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 PM

DiD! Forgot to say, hi, and how true is your post...and also, how very excited you must be for the arrival of your new little one!!!! So soon!!! Enjoy these lovely weeks awaiting.

You'll be having a homebirth right? Will you have a midwife? Thinking of you and wishing you a wonderful birth.
#208 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 04:56 PM

I was having a hard time trying to remain zen about my little girl, who loves me so much that she wants to be with me, holding me constantly. Thanks I feel better.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#209 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I had a perspective-keeping day today too; I watched Oprah, and she was talking about women in their 30s in America, and the hugely high numbers of women with fertility issues. It made me feel incredibly blessed to have this amazing child sleeping in my arms.

#210 of 242 Old 01-25-2007, 08:50 PM

Oh I know Amy. We're all so lucky to have conceived, carried to term and birthed our beautiful babes. I'm definitely feeling very lucky.
I'm 11 days from my EDD. Barcelona, to answer your questions, yes I'm having a homebirth with a midwife.
I'm totally not ready though. This baby can be a couple weeks late, fine by me. I haven't washed the clothes and diapers yet. I haven't gotten enough sleep yet!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page