It's 2007, November '05 Mamas!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 242 Old 01-01-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New Year, one and all! May this year bring peace, prosperity, and joy to everyone in the November DDC. Oh, and better sleep for me and Spughy!!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#2 of 242 Old 01-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Happy New Year, mamas!!!!
#3 of 242 Old 01-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Happy New Year!

We're back from our whirlwind trip, and totally exhausted. (We actually got back on Friday night, but my parents are here, so we've been playing host since then.) Ellie got pinkeye from her cousin on our trip, and now I have it. Breastmilk is AMAZING, though! Just putting a few drops in every few hours and Ellie's is almost totally gone and mine is about 1000% better than when I woke up 3.5 hours ago. Ellie's such a trooper, she wasn't fussy at all when her eye was bad, but mine hurts like crap and I don't want to do anything but sit on the couch and feel sorry for myself.

New Years Resolutions: 1500 minutes of exercise per month (I've been doing about 1400/month, except in december I only did 1168). Lots more patience with the kids (especially Killy). Get back to a size 2 this year. (I was in a 4 before vacation, now my 6s feel better!)

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#4 of 242 Old 01-01-2007, 04:21 PM

Happy New Year!!!!

It took until 11 am for a sugar craving to hit. But I am strong, I am not caving in!!! I know the sugar cravings will only last a few days and then they will go away. I just have to make it to Thursday, and I will probably be ok. Yesterday I made some whole wheat brioches with currants that I can nuke for a quick breakfast so I'm all set. (Breakfasts were my big stumbling block before - it was too easy just to hit Tim Hortons or the nice bakery close to work...)

Anyway, I hope everyone has a happy, healthy and prosperous 2007!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#5 of 242 Old 01-01-2007, 04:28 PM

hapPy new year!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#6 of 242 Old 01-01-2007, 05:33 PM

Happy New Year everyone!

Our big news: Abigail started walking last week! She is pretty wobbly and will squat and crawl away after a while, but she is getting braver and more confident and it's so neat watching her amaze herself. :

My New Year's Resolution: Keep up with my fellow Nov. '05 mamas!!! :

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#7 of 242 Old 01-01-2007, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Happy New Year!

I totally have to share a ridiculous story about my clueless (but cute when naked so it makes up for it) DP. (x-posted from FYT)
Last night we crawled into bed at 11:30, after hours of hilarious card games & beers & good fun. We laid there trying to get the baby to sleep so we could git down to bidness & we talked & talked. Midnight rolls around & there's fireworks & bizarre explosive noises going off everywhere. Suddenly, after a nearby explosion at 12:07 he says "I hope that wasn't our fence blowing down again" & he gets up to look out the window. He stands there a bit, looking outside while blasty noises are going off everywhere & then says "I think the neighbor's are doing something loud & weird in their garage." I laughed & said "Like blowing up their garage to celebrate the New Year?" He was silent for a minute & then says:

"Ooooh, it's New Year's Eve. That explains all the noise."

He had no idea yesterday was NYE. I'm not kidding. Somehow it had totally escaped him!! I have no idea how. OMG how I laughed at him.

Bex80, walking, what fun!!
My one new year resolution is to send thank you cards on time (or at all!), respond to emails better, send cards to family for no real reason.... just all around communicate with family & friends better. I'm so bad at all that & I hate it.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#8 of 242 Old 01-02-2007, 12:29 AM

Spughy---A day late (I'm starting tomorrow but I would like to follow you on your sugar-free journey! I am not going sugar free, but I am making some huge dietary changes that while I'm sure should be gradual, are not going to be. My personality just doesn't *do* gradual. If you give me an inch, I'll take a mile. So, I am completely cutting out fast food/restaurant food and soft drinks. I know I shouldn't have been ingesting them at all, but it seems once Abigail got started on some solids, my "good" eating habits/diet flew out the window.

Didn't mean to start blogging here, but you talking about how the cravings will pass in a few days really makes me feel better. I would have started today, but I caved and ate a bunch of mini Reese's cups (am sending the rest to work with dh tomorrow!) and then we had dinner with MIL and it all went downhill from there.

Zjande---Thanks mama! And too funny about your dp (soon to be dh! Congrats!! ) not realizing it was NYE. A couple of times I had to remind myself. Time just seems to pass too quickly. I still consider Abigail a baby because she' so petite (almost 17 lbs now) but now that she's walking, talking a bit, learning to sign, etc...it's weird. This is totally premature, but can you believe that they will turn 2 this year? : I know it seems like a long ways away, but before you know it it'll be Spring and then Summer and then November again.

Anyone else (besides Fern, Aubrey, and Helen) getting a touch of babylust these days? 90% of the time I am loving just eating up my babygirl, but lately I catch myself letting my gaze linger a little too long on a pregnant belly or a newborn. I'm not ready AT ALL, but the idea of being pregnant again and having another babe is delicious!!

Hope you guys had a great first day of 2007!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#9 of 242 Old 01-02-2007, 12:39 AM

Winter started running a fever during the night and the poor little babe has been just grumpy and miserable all day. No other symptoms besides a fever. I've gotten lots of hot snuggles today though.
I'm 35 weeks pregnant today if you guys can possibly believe that. I'm on maternity leave finally, yay!
Happy 2007 everyone.
#10 of 242 Old 01-02-2007, 12:43 AM

Happy New Year All!

I couldn't forget it was NYE since the party was at our place. Peacefulmommy and Noah were there, along with many of our other friends that we call family. Fun times, wired babies, tired babies, sleeping babies and lots of delicious food. We also enjoyed passing the bottle of champagne around at the stroke of midnight. No glasses for our low-key crowd, we just shared the bottle like a real family.

I'd say that Isa is officially walking now. I guess it's hard to say when it's official, but she is taking unassisted steps several times a day, squatting to pick things up, and returning to standing. It's all happened so quickly! But I am such a proud mama!

Love to all of you and many blessing upon your households for this new year!
#11 of 242 Old 01-02-2007, 01:15 AM

Bex, you are welcome to join me on the diet change! Misery loves company, and all that I had to go to the IL's for dinner too, but I was good, even spurning apple pie and ice cream for an actual apple (which Rowan then kind of monopolized, but oh well.) Of course MIL decided that the main veg should be broccoli which I can't eat... oh well. Had to pass on the stuffing too, but it was that Stovetop crap anyway. MIL doesn't do "from scratch" anything. Oh and she taunted me with a piece of white chocolate too. Not nice.

But oh, how I would loooove a piece of cinnamon toast right now. Urgh. Must..resist...sugar...

DiD - I can't believe you're practically ready to pop! How exciting! I hope Winter feels better soon.

Spiritmomma - congrats on Isa walking! Now the chasing begins!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#12 of 242 Old 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM

Spughy, I'm aspiring to sugar-freeness too. I've pretty much got the diet coke addiction gone and being honest, I am feeling better for it.
Our new year was pretty good- we went up to my mothers from the 27th, spent time just mellowing out and for New Year we went to Allendale- they have an obscure local ritual which involves parading round the village with barrels of burning tar on their head. Unfortunately, this year we had no tar because it was too dangerous because of the wind, but it was still fantastic.
Skye is amazing, talking and walking and growing more day by day. I never cease to be amazed by her spirit, though- it's fantastic, she's just so totally unsurpressable
Other than that, our illness of the week was teething. You wouldn't think that you could run a temperature of 101 degrees, vomiting and fainting over losing your top front teeth, would you? Alex did, poor mite- I've never seen him this ill, I was pretty close to taking him to hospital. Absolutely amazing.
Happy New Year, everyone!!!

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#13 of 242 Old 01-02-2007, 06:09 PM

I am so behind! Argh! Subbing in hopes I can read soon! Happy new year mommies! Did all your babies stay up till midnight?
#14 of 242 Old 01-02-2007, 07:15 PM

I'm also trying to catch up, but getting in early on the new thread. Happy new year! I worked the evening shift, but made it home before midnight and just in time for a glass of champagne and orange juice before tucking into bed with my sleeping beauty (though as usual, not sleeping for long )

Congrats on the maternity leave, DiD. You must be exhausted :

I hope Alex is feeling better, Helen. I don't envy you with teething kiddos at both ends of the spectrum

And happy new year to all. Good luck with the sugar-freeness.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#15 of 242 Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Congrats DiD! And Happy New Year to all!!!! We had a wonderful night. Dominic actually stayed up with us to celebrate with sparkling cider.

As for my november baby Isaac... He's been walking for a couple of months... but now is figuring out how to run and climb. Caught him on top of the table the other day before I could blink an eye! : Still no words other than Mama and Dada.. so that is what we are anxiously awaiting. Dominic was blabbering away by this age- so it's a little nerving for us. He's so beautiful and happy... and as for having baby cravings.... : : if anyone has lurked in the family planning section under the TTC 2007 thread.. you'll know I've had a hard time fighting it. We are planning on TTC in spring or summer. I've been charting for two months now, just to get to know my cycle really well and it's also part of this method I will be trying "how to choose the sex of your baby". The hilarious part is that I haven't decided what sex I want to try for.

Here's to everyone's 2007 being a wonderful, successful, amazing year. My resolution was to go completely organic and plan out all my meals for a month in advance.
#16 of 242 Old 01-02-2007, 11:33 PM

Hello to all, I am new but I thought I would check in here.
My name is Lu and my November 05 baby is Coco - she is 13 mos.
She is walking - since late October - and her vocabulary grows every day.
DH and I are having so much fun!
I am new to this forum - I have read bits here and there since I got my account some months ago, but thought that I would start posting in earnest recently.
So hello!

Lu married to DH, mom to DD Nov 2005, DS Sep 2007 and DD Nov 6, 2009
#17 of 242 Old 01-03-2007, 02:26 AM

Welcome to the thread. Hope you enjoy MDC!
#18 of 242 Old 01-03-2007, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrwbabe View Post
Hello to all, I am new but I thought I would check in here.
My name is Lu and my November 05 baby is Coco - she is 13 mos.
She is walking - since late October - and her vocabulary grows every day.
DH and I are having so much fun!
I am new to this forum - I have read bits here and there since I got my account some months ago, but thought that I would start posting in earnest recently.
So hello!
Hi & welcome! What is your munchkin's birthdate? Xeowyn ("ZAY-oh-win") started walking in late Oct, too, which has been a whole new world!: , but he's still really only saying mama & dada! I think he's decided that since mama & dada are the most fabulous things in the world, he doesn't need to trouble himself to say anything else.

I got my mdc account eons ago but barely posted at all until this DDC!

Helen, I laughed out loud when I read that bit about the wandering around with tar on their head tradition. I hope your shortling feels better soon.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#19 of 242 Old 01-03-2007, 10:37 AM

mrsrwbabe: glad to have you! we're a fun crowd, get to know us!

Isa's ears seem to be 100% clear now, and her poops are getting more and more solid. I'm guessing the yogurt and probiotics are putting her gut back together after the antibiotics. My New Year's resolution? To let go of the guilt for treating her with antibiotics!!! I swear, knowledge is great, but it can sometimes prevent me from doing what needs to be done. Just out of curiousity, if a child has a double ear infection and is all out miserable, is there anything that can knock it out BESIDES antibiotics? Could I have done it differently or should I realize I did the best thing and let it go......?

Congrats on your maternity leave, DiD. I hope you feel a little more rested from here on out.
#20 of 242 Old 01-03-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucetteMama21842 View Post
Welcome to the thread. Hope you enjoy MDC!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
Hi & welcome! What is your munchkin's birthdate? Xeowyn ("ZAY-oh-win") started walking in late Oct, too, which has been a whole new world!: , but he's still really only saying mama & dada! I think he's decided that since mama & dada are the most fabulous things in the world, he doesn't need to trouble himself to say anything else.

I got my mdc account eons ago but barely posted at all until this DDC!
Zjande...DD - Coco's BD is 11/19/05, it has been great having her fully mobile, but certainly keeps you on your toes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmomma View Post
mrsrwbabe: glad to have you! we're a fun crowd, get to know us!
Spiritmomma thank you I look forward to getting to know everyone! And hey I am in Indiana too!

Lu married to DH, mom to DD Nov 2005, DS Sep 2007 and DD Nov 6, 2009
#21 of 242 Old 01-03-2007, 12:11 PM

Spiritmama - if it cleared up within 24-48 hours of starting the antibiotics, then it was probably a bacterial infection so you shouldn't feel bad at all! The reason antibiotics aren't good to give for ear infections (usually) is because the vast majority of ear infections are viral - thus antibiotics do no good, just weaken the immune system while not treating the problem.

I'm struggling with a similar issue here: we all have pinkeye. I've read that this time of year (cold/flu season), pinkeye is usually viral. And, even when its bacterial most kid's bodies can fight it off on their own. Well, Ellie's came and went in two days (she still has eye goop in the morning, but no pink in her eyes and she's not rubbing them), but I've had mine for three days and its not getting significantly better. I seem to be prone to eye infections, and in college I had recurring eye infections for 6 months, till I did antibiotic eyedrops. I cannot go that long this time, espcially since I'm pretty sure the kids and I would pass it back and forth. Killy woke up with it this morning, so we'll see how his goes. Any suggestions? I've been putting breastmilk in the kids' eyes, washing the pillowcases every day, and washing hands obsessively. Breastmilk didn't help my eyes, so I'm doing homeopathic eyedrops for myself.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#22 of 242 Old 01-03-2007, 12:29 PM

Oh the dreaded pink eye. Yuck. Hope the breastmilk works for everyone else.
Winter is not running a fever this am but he is very grumpy still. Not showing any symptoms of illness at this point but I can still tell he's not feeling well.
I've been awake since 4:30am despite being on maternity leave for the simple fact that staying in bed makes my hips and back sore. Ugh!
#23 of 242 Old 01-03-2007, 01:39 PM

Hello everyone! I posted on the other post in the Toddler post. I'm glad I found everyone.

As you can imagine, being a momma to twin 'toddlers' is alot of work. Whoever told me it got easier lied

Lied in a good way though. The twins keep me busy and life is always handing us new experiences!

Look forward to catching up!

Christy
#24 of 242 Old 01-03-2007, 01:49 PM

Yay BodoGirl found us again! Welcome back!

And welcome, mrsrwbabe! Your baby is just one day older than mine. But mine started walking in September (ack ack ack... they really are more accident-prone when they start early - we had a month of constant bashes and bruises.) And she says "da" but not "mama". And very little else (except "ball" for some reason).

I feel GREAT this morning. I did a quick workout yesterday and have been sugar-free for 2 whole days now and already it's making a difference. I feel much peppier and last night I was able to struggle with Rowan getting her to sleep for over an hour and then actually get my lunch and whatnot organized for today before crashing. And I woke up 15 minutes before my alarm went off (went back to sleep of course). This morning also I was together enough to make breakfast (boiled egg & whole wheat brioche) AND coffee (decaf, but yay anyway) and I still made it to work by 8:30. Woot!

#25 of 242 Old 01-03-2007, 01:53 PM

Good for you Spughy!!! So proud of you!!

I am doing better...not great but better. We rec'd a lot of restaurant GCs for Christmas and we used one last night at Chili's. I was "good" and got the lettuce wraps but then...I had dessert. However, I totally felt gross afterwards and haven't wanted more sweets since. Usually that starts my cycle of eating more and more sugar, but yesterday it didn't. Maybe I can do gradual afterall?

Welcome to the new mamas, or the rediscovered ones at that. I feel like I am new to the group every month because I start out well and then peter out after a week or so. I read every post though, I just suck at jumping in and writing.

I need to get off of here and tidy up...I am having an MDC mama and her girls over for lunch as they are driving through my state today!

#26 of 242 Old 01-03-2007, 03:00 PM

oh where to begin....It has been CRAZY in our world lately. We took a week long trip to North Carolina to visit with my sister. Oy Vey!! My sister and I are about as opposite as they come. My dad wouldn't take no for an answer when I told him I wasn't coming this year. *money is tight, wedding in April, Moving soon...AHHHH i need a real vacation, one where I can stay home and really relax* So we had planned on staying with my sister...That wasn't gonna happen. My dad covered a hotel for us and we now owe him a pretty penny...but there was no way we could stay with my sister....

She is sooo very differnt from me. She yells and screams at her kids *6, 4, and 16 months* constantly. DS has heard more yelling in the week we were there than he's ever heard in his LIFE. It broke my heart sooo many times seeing these kids with such crushed spirits. I could tell countless stories of crushed spirits in these kids...but that's not the point....

Anyway the LAST day we were there, we woke up and poor J couldn't breath at all. He was gasping for breath and sounded sooo hoarse. We called our Ped and they suggested the ER. We spent 3 hours there and they ran some tests...ruled our RSV and decided it was *just a cold* sent us on our way with a prescription for a decongestant. We went back to my sister's after checking out of a hotel....and he rested. The house was too chaotic for us, our plane was leaving at 6 am the next day and we had a 2 hour drive to the airport. We had to return our rental car as well...so we had planned on leaving around 3 am and getting some rest before we went. At 11 *It would have been earlier if we hadn't had our diapers in the dryer* we decided that we coudln't stand another minute there and we decided we'd just *nap* at the gate. We got the last of the dipes and headed out. 30 minutes down the road we got a call from my sis..she was yelling and screaming that I had stolen soda that she had hidden in her dresser. I hadn't even been near her dresser. She was yelling and screaming...so after my DF hung up we decided if she needed soda that bad we'd get her some..so we turned around bought 2 12 packs and dropped them off for her. We headed out again now at 12. We stopped an hour down the road because we were both getting sleepy. I crawled in the back to check on J and he was breathing hoarsely. He began stirring and I took him out of his seat to nurse him....At this point he begins screaming...he was arching his back and writhing as if in extreme amounts of pain. His breathing was so hoarse and between feeble screams his breaths were like they took all his energy. I panicked and had DF call 911. We rode in the ambulance to the ER *again* He was put on breathing treatments for 9 hours and we got no sleep the rest of the night. Needless to say we missed our plane. Once his breathing regulated again we went to the airport to find out how we would get home...After a couple hours we found there were no more planes home that day and we went to a hotel and crashed. We all slept for 5 hours...then had dinner and back in bed by 9. That was our last day of 2006

New Year's day dawned bright and early and we got on our plane headed home at 6 am. We had a layover in PHX....it was supposed to be 2 hours...but it streched into nearly 6. Our original plane landed early...Our connecting flight was being serviced. It was a LONG day.

Back to work on the 2nd. The WHOLE week before we went I had a dreadful feeling of NOT wanting to go....I kept telling DF. He shrugged it off...He'll listen to me if I ever have that feeling again. He realizes that I do have a pretty good intuition.

Other than that...It's good to be home and this New Year has been great!

I'd love to join you girls on a sugar free life...i've tried before and I seem to always fail. I have 3 months till the wedding...

We tried last year to stick with the Sonoma Diet and we are gonna go back to it Saturday. I loved it when we did it...but it's hard to be a working mama....DF lost 40 lbs and kept it off..now it's my turn I have 60 to go this year...hoping for 20 by the wedding at least

SOo there's my saga of a book. If you made it this far you deserve snaps.>I'll try to stay better updated..never is easy though.

PS. Yay for all the new walkers...we have a full time bi-ped now and it's a whole new exciting world!
#27 of 242 Old 01-03-2007, 03:08 PM

I'm sorry that your new year didn't start out with the Bang you were hoping for! How scary! Hope he's doing better!
#28 of 242 Old 01-04-2007, 06:52 AM

Oh, kaspirant Do they know what caused the breathing difficulties? Are they regarding it as croup, or a possible first asthma attack, or ??? (ds2 is severely asthmatic so we've spent a few nights in hospital with it. Trips in the ambulance kind of make up for everything else for him, luckily.
Hugs to everyone else struggling with nasty lurgies- I'd forgotten how poorly my boys were during their toddler years. Yuck.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#29 of 242 Old 01-04-2007, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Mamas. I don't have time to read all of the new posts; DH is about to leave for work and taking the laptop with him today. I just wanted to do a quick drive-by hello.

None of our mamas live in the Austin area, do you? I will be there on the 13th and 14th and we're planning to visit the Austin Children's Museum on the 14th in case anyone is nearby!!

I posted a few new pics of our recent hike (in my sig) and a cute update on the blog if anyone has a moment for diversion. I'm still trying to get some video online but it just seems like it is an epic project.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#30 of 242 Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 AM

kaspirant: How scary, how horrible! What a crappy way to ring in the new year! But you are home now, and safe, and comfortable, and how's the little one???

Isa is getting SIX teeth right now... four more on top and her first set of molars on the bottom. Isn't it a bit early for molars? Maybe it just seems early to me since I am still adjusting to the fact that she is not a baby anymore So she is a bit crabby at times (just sometimes) and is having a hard time relaxing to sleep and sometimes has a hard time nursing due to pain. She seems to be nursing less at night and during the day... / I don't know whether I am happy or sad about this, and don't know if it should matter since she may go back to nursing all the time tomorrow. Just starting to get the first tastes of weaning, I guess. Sometimes I feel really ready to be done with nursing and other times I cherish every moment we nurse together.
I am kind of at that place right now in my life where I feel passionately about opposite things. I am really excited to be getting gray hair and feeling like a grown up, yet spend all available money on shopping at stores designed for teenage girls... : I don't know what kind of transition this is that I'm going through, but it's gonna be a doozy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page