what can cause green poop in mostly EBF baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD has green poop frequently...usually it's a reaction to something I ate (she's allergic to dairy, tree nuts, and wheat), but I haven't been eating any of those or anything new and she had green watery poop again this morning. She is not sick but she is teething--could teething cause it? She's a pretty easy teether and I don't recall her having green poop related to teething before. I did also start giving her coconut oil and nettle infusion in the last 3-4 days--she's not getting any other solids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 PM

My DD had green poop when she teethed. It's from swallowing a lot of spit. If she's drooling a lot, then that is probably it.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

She is hardly drooling at all, although one tooth just poked through a few days ago and another is almost through.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:44 PM

actually green poop in an ebf baby is often because of a foremilk/hindmillk imbalance.
All it really means, if it is that, is she got a whole lotta the foremilk, the thinner, watery, thirst quenching milk and not enough of the hindmilk~ the thicker, heavier, fattier,filling yummies. Maybe she was busy nursing and popped off before she got the hindmilk, maybe fell asleep before the hindmilk~ if it continues, I'd probably encourage her to nurse longer on one side, before switching sides, or only one side. Does this sound like a possibilty with your little one?
I've never given coconut oil or nettle infusion, so I don't know about that changing poo. And haven't had to battle dietary allergies, so...

HTH.

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Old 01-03-2007, 06:57 PM

What mama bear said.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm inclined to think it's not a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance but I could be wrong...I generally only nurse one side per feeding. She usually nurses for about 3 minutes and then she's done (she's always been a super fast nurser). Lately she's been wanting to hang on for another 4 or 5 minutes but she's not really eating, just latched on and doing tiny sucks. Does that sound like it could be an imbalance? And would that cause totally liquid poop? I've seen descriptions of an imbalance causing frothy green poop, but this was just green liquid poop.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 PM

From what you describe and what I understand the liquid green poo sounds like fast transit. Basically a hind/fore milk imbalance I would maybe try to block feed (one side for a set number of hours - like 3 or 4) then you can be sure that babe is getting lots of hind milk. I notice that when dd eats frequently and I unconsciously switch sides her poo gets greenish and liquidy, but if I make sure to let her get lots of hind milk the problem is gone within a day.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 PM

mine had green poop when teething. you may not see the drooling if she has gotten good at swallowing the extra spit.

also, she might be reacting to the coconut oil, if she earlier has been sensitized to it thru the breastmilk since you take it.

my signature is usually illegible

User Tag List