Non-lame toddler music - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been taking out CD's of kids' music from the library, and am kind of grossed out by the lame quality, simpy songs, and "spontaneous prococious cute banter" that seems to pepper most of the CD's (not even mentioning the commercial Dora/Disney/etc crapola!)

So I am compiling a mix of all the non-kid music that is kid friendly (IMO!) but am looking for some suggestions. I've heard good things about Laurie Berkner, Elizabeth Mitchell, and They Might be Giants (who I remember from my univ. days, and imagine would do some pretty funny kids' music!), so they're on my list to check out. Stuff I do like: Raffi (some, anyway), Putomayo CD's, ?

The mix I have so far has everything from bluegrass (Garcia/Grisman), The Beatles (of course), folky stuff (Joni Mitchell, Dylan...), ska/reggae, and more of "our" music, like the Breeders, Elastica, Feist, Jim Guthrie, Metric, Outkast, Pharcyde...plus some Dead Milkmen and Ramones for good measure.

Any suggestions??? TIA!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#2 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 04:52 PM

I love Laurie Berkner, esp. "Under a Shady Tree". I recently checked it out of the library again for myself.

Milkshake is awesome too. Try milkshakemusic.com

Bill Harley is also one of our (my?) faves. His lyrics and topics are geared more for preschoolers and school age kids, but what toddler doesn't love a good beat?

ETA: these really are kiddie artists, but not saccharine, IMO
#3 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 05:16 PM

We listen to the soundtrack to 'curious george' alot. Its by Jack Johnson and friends.
#4 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 05:25 PM

Tom Chapin. I also like Pooh Corner and Return to Pooh Corner.

There is alot of good artists but *shees* their names are escaping me.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#5 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 05:30 PM

I like Woody Guthrie's children's stuff. I think he has an album called Songs to Grow On. And then there's Free to Be: A Family and Schoolhouse Rock. I listened to TMBG's kid stuff and found it really jarring and not nearly as good as their regular music. Oh and Sweet Honey in the Rock is good.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#6 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 05:31 PM

The CD's from the Music Together class are AWESOME!! You can find them on Ebay if you are not interested in taking a class. They are songs that are enjoyable and are made to help children develop musically.

SJ
#7 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 05:32 PM

I was given Dan Zanes' album House Party as a gift and really like it.
#8 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 PM

FOLK:
My all-time favorite is Bright Spaces, by various artists (put together by Raffi)
Family Fare, by various artists
Folksongs and Bluegrass for Children, by various artists
Kids, Cars, and Campfires, by various artists
Sweet Dreams of Home, by various artists (put together by Mae Robinson)
This Land Is Your Land, by Woody and Arlo Guthrie

CLASSICAL:
Beethoven's Wig series
The Mozart Effect

LULLABIES:
An American Lullaby
At Quiet O'Clock
Childhood Memories and Lullabies on the Guitar
Dreamland, by Putumayo
Ragtime Romp, by Music for Little People
The Sun Upon the Lake Is Low, by various artists
When Night Falls, by Angelika Kirshlanger

MULTICULTI:
Cajun, by Putumayo
Still the Same Me, by Sweet Honey in the Rock -- my second favorite

DANCE MUSIC:
Color Me Singing, by Susan Salidor (hm, maybe this should go under multiculti)
Goodmorning Guitar, by Ray Penney
Hey Picasso, by Jessica Harper
Kid'n Together
Let's Play, by Raffi
Music for Little People 15th Anniversary Collection
Musical Soup
Nancy Cassidy's Kids Songs
Sing Along with Putumayo (maybe under multiculti)
Songs from a Parent to Child, by Art Garfunkel
Songs from the Street (Sesame Street)
Sounds Familiar
#9 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 05:48 PM

Nobody has mentioned Sarah Pirtle yet; she was one of my kids' favourites when they were toddlers. We discovered her through A Gentle Wind, which was a catalogue you could order from an ad in the back of Mothering back then instead of a website, and you could order a very inexpensive cassette tape with samples of different artist's work instead of downloading MP3 clips.

Other than that, they don't seem to have changed very much.

Raffi's latest, Resisto Dancing, seems to be geared more towards my kids' ages but Baby Beluga and Evergreen, Everblue are classics that we will probably be playing for our grandbabies.
#10 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 05:54 PM

Yup, Woody Gutherie, Dan Zanes, and how about 'Not For Kids Only' by Gerry Garcia and David Grisman? There's also a great Leadbelly kids cd. I'll be sure to let you know when MY kids cd comes out, but in the meantime checkout my adult cd @ www.cdbaby.com/nicoledueck
#11 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 05:54 PM

#12 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 06:10 PM

Hi,
My daughter (20 months) loves Bob Marley--can't get enough of it. This morning when she woke up she sang, "little darling, stir it up".....and whenever we mention the word party, she sings, "it's a punky reggae party...tonight". By the way, thanks mammas for the above links and suggestions.
#13 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 06:21 PM

We like Trout Fishing in America - Duo who does folksy goofy songs for kids and adults. Their website is http://http://www.troutmusic.com/
#14 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 06:25 PM

I found some cool CD's that I'm ordering from Amazon, Nicky's Jazz for Kids and Nicky's Jazz Lullabies. They have people like Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong who I love. At least if DD doesn't like them I will. I also found a couple of compilations that look good, Mary Had a Little Amp, For the Kids. OH, "All you Need is Love, Toddlers Sing the Beatles" is good. DD asks for music with "kids" all the time, so she likes this one a lot.

The TMBG stuff is ok, but I think it's better for older kids. My toddler has been unimpressed thus far. I LOVE Dan Zanes and have somewhat of an unnatural crush on him.

I'm going to check out these recommendations, something has GOT to replace her favorite which is Sharon Lois and Bram "Wheels on the Bus." The SECOND we get in the car she starts asking for "Bus? Bus? BUS?" and I can't stand it. It's on my iPod and I keep telling DH thanks for the nice present but all I get to listen to is Wheels on the Bus.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#15 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 06:26 PM

oh, I forgot. We love all the putamayo kids stuff we have.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#16 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 06:29 PM

posting quick, haven't read others so forgive if repeats. I LOVE lisa Loeb's kids's CD "Catch the Moon" all laurie berkner, dan zanes, the john lithgow kids CDs are fun, too. Oh, curious george soundtrack - jack johnston, I think? it rocks.
#17 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 PM

Definitely check out Elizabeth Mitchell, her You Are My Little Bird album is just wonderful!
#18 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Lots for me to check out-thanks! Very much appreciated!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#19 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 08:01 PM

Another vote for Elizabeth Mitchell's You Are My Little Bird. It is the absolute best kids album ever. Honeslty it is just beautiful, and I would listen to it even without kids. She is also on Catch the Moon, the Lisa Loeb cd someone else mentioned. We got that for dd for Christmas, and we love it too. It comes with a beautiful board book. My BIL got dd They Might Be Giants No! for Christmas. I thought maybe she would be a little young to enjoy it, but she loved it. She dances and claps to all the songs, especially No! I had to sell the Laurie Berkner cd we had. It was driving me nuts , kind of like a loud obnoxious battery operated toy that just won't stop. And that Victor Vito song kept going around in my head for days. Just my opinion though...no offense to Laurie Berkner fans :.

coolshine.gif

#20 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 PM

I've gotten some great downloads from smallages.blogspot.com. I also don't keep ds listening to "kids" music. One of his favorite songs is "Handle with Care" by The Traveling Wilburys. And of course Trout Fishing-I used to see their adults shows for years. Keith & Ezra are awesome!
#21 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 PM

For some reason the Laurie Berkner stuff drives me insane as well. I don't know what it is...:

I have to third the Jack Johnson/Curious George soundtrack. A HUGE hit in our house. (also gotta give props to a local boy

There is a Kamehameha children's choir CD that is really cute. One of the songs was in Lilo and Stitch. It's really cute. It's called Na Keiki o Kamehameha ("the children of kamehameha -it's a school)

My kids also love this. Peter and The Wolf, by Prokofiev.

Sandra Boynton
has a couple books out that come with CDs of silly songs. We got them for Christmas and they're awesome. My kids are really loving them

I'll have to go through and see what I have that hasn't already been mentioned.. I know we have a ton of stuff.
#22 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 08:17 PM

hey - elizabeth mitchell is one the lisa loeb cd. Apparently, they were college roomates and are great friends! I just listened to You are my Little Bird on napster. I LOVE it!!
#23 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 08:19 PM

[URL="http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=67003028820&pwb=1&z=y"]For the Kids[/URL

There are some other great links on the page as well. Happy listening.
#24 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 08:50 PM

We are really into finding cool music and have come across some good stuff.

Elizabeth Mitchell is great
Dan Zanes
Ralph's World
Woody Guthrie
Johnny Cash Kids Album
Free to Be You and Me from the 70's ( it is genius )
Putamayo stuff
The Point soundtrack ( amazing)

There are some cool compilations like

The Bottle Got Me Down
Mary Had a Little Amp
etc.

My kids also like all kinds of music like Dylan, the Beatles, Pixies, Pogues, Belle and Sebastian ( DS 1's fave)

Fun stuff.

- Kerri
#25 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Coltrane View Post
We are really into finding cool music and have come across some good stuff.

Elizabeth Mitchell is great
Dan Zanes
Ralph's World
Woody Guthrie
Johnny Cash Kids Album
Free to Be You and Me from the 70's ( it is genius )
Putamayo stuff
The Point soundtrack ( amazing)
OMG! The Point Soundtrack brings back so may childhood memories. I had forgotten all about it. I still have it on vinyl in a box somewhere. I have to find it. It's the best. Oh man, and Free to Be You and Me...I'm getting all nostalgic. Thanks for that list!

coolshine.gif

#26 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 11:18 PM

Dan Zanes is a huge hit for us!!
We also like Laurie Berkner, the Putumayo Kids cds, and TMBG. The Curious George soundtrack is great too- DS will not go to sleep without it!!

I haven't heard a lot of it, but I know Jerry Garcia has a couple kids albums that are cute and good.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#27 of 74 Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 PM

I love Laurie Berkner.

AM
#28 of 74 Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 AM

ds loves Devo - and the hamster dance!
#29 of 74 Old 01-05-2007, 12:48 AM

I can't help it, I love Raffi. Just love him.

I used to play They Might Be Giants for the little boy I nannied, and plan to break them out for our daughter.

I love the website cdbaby.com. It's all independent music, and it's mostly grown-up stuff, despite the misleading name. I can waste hours there, browsing and listening to samples...Anyway, they have a nice kids' section and you can pre-listen to stuff before you buy.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#30 of 74 Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 AM

Nobody's mentioned You're Nice People, You Are by NRBQ, so I have to plug it. I like it better and better the more I listen to it. (Haven't had it in the rotation recently, but it's really a fine album. We bought it long before we had a child.) It's just that it's by a great band, who play a lot of playful/childlike songs anyway, and they put together a pretty nice set of songs specifically for kids. Complete with their typical awesome musical chops. There are a couple of songs I didn't gravitate to in the beginning (way in the beginning, before we had a kid), and some that outright annoyed me. But Encyclopedia has grown on me until I actually like it (I didn't like the synth or the feel, at first) and you can't deny that it's a great, gritty guitar solo. And I can always skip The Music Lesson if I'm really not in the mood to take it, but it's not so bad and my daughter is just fine with it. The rest of the album is really strong, and I like that it's quality music FOR kids but from one of our favorite bands, and there's always more to appreciate in it. Truly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy View Post
Yup, Woody Gutherie, Dan Zanes, and how about 'Not For Kids Only' by Gerry Garcia and David Grisman? There's also a great Leadbelly kids cd. I'll be sure to let you know when MY kids cd comes out, but in the meantime checkout my adult cd @ www.cdbaby.com/nicoledueck
Yes, the Leadbelly CD is very good: Leadbelly Sings for Children. I got it from amazon. (I do wish it had his lovely little "Chicken" song....C-H-I-C-K-E-N. Oh, well...)

There are at least 3 Woody Guthrie releases for children that are available currently, but there's some overlap between two of them. (They include a lot of the same songs, but not necessarily the same recordings of those songs. And that's not a bad thing; I'm just making the point.) I can think of Songs to Grow On, Nursery Days, and Songs for Mother and Child. Plus, there's a beautiful picture book of This Land Is Your Land that comes with a CD of Woody singing that song, with some other songs, too. Arlo Guthrie produced and added backing tracks and sings on it with older recordings of his dad's voice. It's a nice piece (my daughter loves the book.)

punchy: Funny that you mention your plans to release a recording of kids' songs. That's on my to-do list, too! (I'm mostly still working on arrangements for the songs on my list. But it's happening!)

Other children's albums in that Leadbelly/Guthrie vein.... I know the OP mentioned having Garcia/Grisman. (I'm assuming you have Not For Kids Only.) There's also Pete Seeger. The one I know is Birds, Beasts, Bugs & Fishes, but there are more that he's done.

And you get more than 90 true children's songs on this double CD set by Peggy & Mike Seeger. There's probably lots of stuff by various Seegers, now that I'm thinking about it.

I ordered some music with gift certificates at Christmas, and got the Smithsonian Folkways Children's Music Collection. I think I'm saving it for my daughter's birthday, or whenever we need something new to listen to, whichever comes first. It would be a good sampler-type approach for classic children's songs from the folk tradition.

Peter Paul & Mary did a children's album (I've never heard it. It's called Peter, Paul & Mommy.) A lot of their regular stuff could work for kids.
There's also Really Rosie by Carole King.

Doc Watson has a very nice children's album: Doc Watson Sings Songs For Little Pickers. Some of the songs are beautiful, and many are engaging and winsome, funny, folksy, good for kids. And it's Doc Watson, so it's a treat musically. The guitar playing is as stellar as you'd expect, and his voice is so warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joya View Post
Hi,
My daughter (20 months) loves Bob Marley--can't get enough of it. This morning when she woke up she sang, "little darling, stir it up".....and whenever we mention the word party, she sings, "it's a punky reggae party...tonight". By the way, thanks mammas for the above links and suggestions.
My husband picked a specific Marley best-of CD for me for my birthday last month (had to have "Three Little Birds," and the compilation he found had the beautiful live version of "No Woman, No Cry") and my daughter does enjoy it.

I am going to join with others who've recommended Elizabeth Mitchell, and her album You Are My Little Bird includes a cover of the Marley song, "Three Little Birds." There's no denying the specialness of that song in its original form, though, and even my two-year-old gravitates to the Marley version having heard it, now. (She heard it first on the Mitchell CD.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzypeach View Post
Definitely check out Elizabeth Mitchell, her You Are My Little Bird album is just wonderful!
Her earlier albums, You Are My Flower and You Are My Sunshine are worth a look (and listen), too. And as several people have mentioned, she and Lisa Loeb did the Catch the Moon board book and CD, together. The thing that bugs me about that one is the editing on Oh Susanna. Okay, they edit out "sun so hot, I froze to death" and make it "I froze myself." No mention of death. So why do they bother editing the next verse (the "I dreamed I saw Susanna, coming up the hill" verse.) It is supposed to be: "The buckwheat cake was in her mouth, the tear was in her eye. Says I, 'I'm comin' from the south, Susanna, don't you cry.'" They edit it to be: "Says I, 'I'm come to take you home, Susanna, don't you cry." What were they sparing us from with that edit (besides a rhyme)? Still, I like it, and so does my girl.

(For that matter, Mitchell's version of Elizabeth Cotten's "Freight Train" on You Are My Flower pales in comparison to Jerry Garcia's reading of the same song on Not For Kids Only. But at least it spares us from every reference to death by basically only using the chorus....I find it jarring, but it is what it is, I guess. There's a lot of good on that album, and I'm not knockin' it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
Another vote for Elizabeth Mitchell's You Are My Little Bird. It is the absolute best kids album ever. Honeslty it is just beautiful, and I would listen to it even without kids.
Yep, it's that kind of music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEZMama View Post
I also don't keep ds listening to "kids" music. One of his favorite songs is "Handle with Care" by The Traveling Wilburys.
I've got another little Wilburys fan, here. (Well, we've got a house full of Wilburys fans, so she comes by it honestly.) My favorites are the contributions from George (like "Handle with Care"!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page