photo studio-picture people - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone has any experience of picture people? Worth the money?
THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 PM

If you have a coupon for a free picture, then yes. Otherwise I think they're really pricey. I also wasn't too impressed with one of the photographers we had. It seems like the one in our area has a lot of turnover and aren't necessarily that skilled at getting a child to laugh or smile. They also only take about two shots on each background. It's nice because the pic taking is pretty quick but not so great if you have a slow-to-warm-up child like mine. So for free, yes, otherwise there are places that are cheaper (with better coupon deals like JCPennys).
Old 01-31-2007, 12:14 AM

I've had great photographers there -- and not-so great photographers there. It's kind of the luck of the draw on who you get. My kids are pretty easy to work with - they like to be in front of a camera. Even so, some of the pictures that I've gotten back have been less than what I would have wanted, but none so horrible that I've felt like I had nothing to choose from. One of our best family shoots came from Picture People - so, again, it's all about who you get which you probably have little control over.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:18 AM

I have also gotten great photos from Picture People, but my children tend to come out very pale in their photos. Of course, my kids do share the same fair complexion, but other photographs (such as the ones we take ourselves) never seem to make them look so...white.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:22 AM

I have the most beautiful pictures of my oldest from there when she was 3 months old. They are expensive but my mom bought a package for me as a present. I couldn't have been happier.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:28 AM

OMG that place drives me crazy. My SIL always talks me into doing this with her, and every time I leave there needing a stiff drink. Yes, if you get lucky you can get some good pics. And I have gotten some decent pictures there, but not without major sweat (literally) effort on my part. I have had to argue with the photographer about props and photos. I remember one time we went in there for Halloween pics. Ds1 was about 2yo and dressed as a doggie. While we were waiting for SIL's dd to finish her pics, ds1 found some of the props in another photo room to play with. One was a fire hydrant. And for some reason he was totally into playing with it. Our turn came up, and I asked the guy to just take the pics of him playing with that prop. The guy kept insisting he wasn't allowed to use that prop because it wasn't "in season." Apparently they have certain props they have to push at certain times. It was totally ridiculous, and I pretty much insisted, and the pictures were really cute.

Another time we took ds1 in and he was wearing a romper type outfit. The weird way the woman had him posed on the chair made it look like he was wearing a skirt, and I even pointed it out at the time. She insisted that it was fine. Sure enough when I saw the proofs they were ridiculous - it looked like a boy in a dress. I refused to buy any pictures that time and they were a little miffed.

So yes, you can get some good pics. I think it's better for little tiny babies or older kids, as they will sit still and do what you want them to. But PP is my personal idea of hell. My mom came with me one time and she still has flashbacks when we walk by the place.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:43 AM
Banned

I thnk it is kind of hit or miss who you get. I got pricey photos done of DD and the photographer was a UA violation. I got them done at Target and the photographer was nice. They all turned out pretty well but none actually look like DD. My favorite photos of her I took with my expensive SLR digital camera. Those actually look like her.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
I thnk it is kind of hit or miss who you get.
:

If you have a great photographer one time you can request them again, though.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:29 AM

I took my son there for his first birthday shot and wanted him holding the number 1.
First of all, they insisted on doing a bunch of other shots.
Then I found out that they use real film and actually develop the pictures for you to choose from instead of using digital. That way if you do not take some of the pics they just destroy them. What a waste.
When I chose the picture I wanted, I was not able to get it in the large size print for some reason. I think it was the way it was shot and it was not centered or something. Of course that was the picture with the number 1 in it. I was very clear about wanting that picture. They did not seem to care what I wanted.
Not such a great experience, I will not be going back.:
Old 01-31-2007, 11:54 AM

My big problem with places like that is that the props are sometimes kinda fake. You look at the finished product and all you can think is "well, that kid is sitting in a studio with a giant [whatever], that's kinda weird."

I'd rather get pictures of DD in the back yard, it seems more organic to me. With a digital camera you can take 50 pics as easily as you can take 5, and it's a good chance you'll catch a great shot then.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:42 PM

I had a terrible experience with them. I don't know much about these things, so I allowed them to pretty much do what they wanted, and they chose ridiculous backgrounds, no props, and when we were done, they threw some pictures on a table and left me to figure out what was what. I mean, they didn't even try to sell me on the packages or anything. I just took my free 10x13 and left.

caffix.gif  Mom to DS (8/31/04) and DD (11/30/07), EDD 12/15/11!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:23 PM

Yes- hit or miss. You can get a super photographer, or the whole thing can stink. I'd try some out with the free coupons first. Or ask your local friends who they use or if they have tried them, as they might know the "ins and outs".
Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 PM

I only go if I have a free picture coupon and I only get the free picture. They don't take the best pictures in my experience and they have "lost" our negatives more than once while we were waiting and we have had to retake.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 01-31-2007, 04:56 PM

We went there because we had the coupon and it would be something to do. I thought the photographer we had just wasn't good at relating to toddlers, I had to suggest props and the pics were just sort of OK - kind of blurry. We took the free one which was sort of cute, but I've taken better with my digital camera.

There seems to be a get-the-picture-no-matter-how-the-kid-feels mentality. The other shoot going on while we were there had 6 kids with two tearful toddlers who wanted desperately to leave and they just kept going on, and on and on with the shoot. Maybe that's just me though - I wouldn't have cared if I had a pic of none, one, or both of my dd's as long as they were happy with the experience.

We might try it again though with the coupon if we we were looking for something to get out and do.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:08 PM

i've had nothing but good results....until the last time i went and it was AWFUL!!!

the last time i went the staff was soo rude i will not go back to that location!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We've only gone once, and only because we weren't the ones paying. The photographer wasn't too great with DS, and when we came back for the pictures, the saleslady brought over a huge stack of prints and rattled off a bunch of different prices and promotions and whatnot, then disappeared . . . some of the pics turned out ok but they didn't really "show" ds, kwim? I've taken better ones of him on my cheap digital camera.

IMO they're not worth the price. We'll only go back just to get a free 8x10.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 and welcoming a new little one in May 2015
Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 AM

I have also heard bad things about PP, therefor have never taken my son there. I just wanted to jump in and say portrait innovations is GREAT.. if you have one in your area.. the photographers are awesome with my ds, and they are quick, and snap about 60 pictures, and prices are very reasonable. They take 4-6 different poses, and don't charge a sitting fee, or charge to add people or outfits. I highly recommend them if they are available! Good luck!
Old 02-01-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
I only go if I have a free picture coupon and I only get the free picture.

That's our policy now as well. The one time we went there we were not impressed at all for the prices they charge - we ended up taking the free 10 x 13 and only ordering (2) 5 x 7s. I agree it's hit or miss with any photographer anywhere, but I've been much happier with our more affordable (and better) pics from other studios.

A happy woman
Old 02-01-2007, 11:35 AM

theyre expensive, but good. dh and i got pics taken there about 2 and a half years ago when we were last in the states because my sis worked there and they give the employees whole family a 50% discount, so we got a really good deal. i wont buy from there full price though, and i wont go to the one my sis worked at again because they ended up with new management who fired all the old staff so they could bring in their own :

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 02-01-2007, 12:59 PM

they're quite pricey & it totally depends on the photographer you get. we've had soso pics from them. we took dd at halloween in her costume & i wasn't thrilled with the photographer. when we went back to pick them up, something happened with the system & our pics were gone : we were given another shoot & free stuff. the 2nd photog we got was amazing & we've never been happier with any professional shots taken! it's really luck of the draw.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:46 PM

We don't have one near us, but MIL does. We got ds's pics taken there when he was about 8 months old and they came out great! I think I spent $100 and got 5 5X7s and 1 11X13. They printed more, but I just picked my favorites.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:54 PM

We went this year and our photographer, though super nice, was not very good. [The cameras they use are fantastic though. ] When we got our picture sheets for the wallets, they actually had different shots of the same pose, they weren't the same shot repeated. They messed up our order and had to reprint a photo. I can get better photos by shooting them myself and sending the files to Snapfish or Shutterfly.

We will not be going back.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:37 PM

We used to love the Picture People but for the last two years we've been disappointed EVERY time we've gone so we've stopped going.

User Tag List