Do you cut your little one's hair? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do You Cut Your Toddlers Hair?
Yes 55 58.51%
No 27 28.72%
Other (if possible...) 12 12.77%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2003, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I put other -- my DH does the cutting. With the little one I wouldn't cut it so much because if you let it get long it curls nicely -- but when big brother is getting his hair cut the little one wants his done too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2003, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I cut it iuntil the curls are gone (curly hair is so much more forgiving) and then when it gets thinck and streight we have someone else do it. Also I will do maintenence on the bangs and occaisional trims but when it starts getting to uneven we go in to have a professional get it back on track.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 05-25-2003, 02:22 AM

i voted yes, but i just trim my girls bangs. if you look at my homepage in my sigline, you'll see i've never cut my 4yo's hair - it's down to her butt now.

she's always saying "i'll never EVER cut my hair mommy, but we have to lift it up so i don't pee on it." :LOL

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 05-30-2003, 02:54 AM

I trim dd's bangs because she looks so cute with bangs. The rest of her hair has never been cut. Her hair did look just like a mullet for awhile, but it looks adorable now! http://groups.msn.com/busybusymomma/...hoto&PhotoID=1
Old 05-31-2003, 01:48 AM

i use a number three guard with my sons hair and my dw cuts his bangs when they get to long. our ds is almost two and we cut his hair maybe three time already. mybay next time we will take him to a prof. so he can have a nice fade or a little style to his hair but maybe not who knows.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:39 AM

Then I took her with me and DH for a hair cut and she did so well that I took her all by myself recently, to get it cut again.

I probably could continue to cut it myself - her hair is so curly mistakes wouldn't be obvious.

When I first cut it, I took it all into a high ponytail and snipped for a layered cut. I also did a little freeform on the side. She has no need for bangs - the curls take care of things.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:53 AM

I voted other b/c dd barely has any hair. The plan for now (when she gets some) is not to cut it until she asks to have it cut. That was how I was rasied and I remember my first haircut- when I was 10!!

As with all parenintg plans- it is subject to change.

thistle
Old 06-07-2003, 02:27 AM

I have vowed not to cut his hair until he is AT LEAST 2 (3 just between us!!! LOL) Kade has got the most georgous set of locks that I can not bear to cut any of it. He looks so cute with his long and curly hair. He has quite a lot for a 16 motnh old.

He is ALWAYS getting mistaken for a girl, but I think it is so sweet!
Old 06-07-2003, 12:35 PM

We waited until E was a year re: cultural tradition and then did a little trim. I love his curls and didn't want to cut them, but the derm. thinks it will be easier to treat his ecxema (sp?) with short hair. We went last weekend and he had such a fit that we decided that we will work around the hair a bit longer!
Old 06-07-2003, 10:53 PM

My husband actually does!
Once my friend did it for me (looked great)

AND............I did just take him to the beauty salon and have it cut! because his 2nd birthday was comming up and i wanted it to look EXTRA GOOD, but really, my friend did a better job.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:24 PM

I cut everyone's hair here, well except Lily's, she's 8 months and bearly has any. I trim the girls' bangs and occationally the backs and I just cut DH's hair this evening. I take the girls for occational "professional" hair cuts and then just maintain them at home. I can't see spending money to have their bangs trimmed, esp when Lauren will bearly sit still for it anyway. I figure if I ever screw up, I can always bring them in to get it fixed up. Plus Lauren rarely sits still long enough for anyone to notice if her bangs were crooked anyway

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!
Old 06-08-2003, 01:36 AM

DD requested her first hair cut at 2.75, but kept it long (no bangs) until she was a couple months past four. Then she got it slightly above shoulder length/around chin length and then last weekend--- ear length. Still no bangs! She said she wanted them, which made DH & I gag, but then decided against once she saw her hair cut w/out bangs. We let her do whatever she wants w/her hair.

DS has never had his hair cut. *ONCE* he has been acknowledged as a boy... a day DD talks about often! LOL. She will be like, "and once we were at the mall and someone thought Nate was a boy!" Actually, I think the woman was talking about someone else, but we believe it. I love his soft curly baby hair. We have said we would cut it at 2, but that is fast approaching, so we might just wait until he decides. DH is growing his out, but it is so curly that after 10 months it is still really short. DD has the shortest hair in our family, though, she is proud to tell people!

I love DS's "baby" hair and will be soooo sad to see it go, as I assume it will some day. I just about cried watching DD get her major hair cut (when they put it in a ponytail and then snipped the ponytail off), I know it will be even harder with DS!

Kay

Old 06-18-2003, 02:02 PM

I cut DD's hair frequently. She just looks really cute with shorter hair and I am much to impatient to wait for it to grow. it is also curly, so now with a cut, most of the curls are gone I wish I had more patience.

Beanma~ I also have the problem of dd's hair getting in her eyes. she has beangs, but it's the rest of the hair that is the problem. Maybe I should layer it. As it is, it's all the same length.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Yes, I had ideas that I would never cut my daughter’s hair. Partially because she had black tips on her blond hair left over from her birth color…it was so sweet! I decided to cut it because she was pulling her “ponies” out and her hair was in her eyes or stuck in her boogies or full of food. Also, I have a compulsion with having a glass of wine and cutting my hair at 11pm. I’m trying to let my hair grow so I’m redirecting my fetish onto my innocent child.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 06-20-2003, 01:51 AM

ds#2 is 26 months, with lovely long golden curls. We get a lot of 'isn't she cute?' (and he is!), but I figure they're not looking at the kid, just the hair.

There are two traditions that call for not cutting the hair before the age of three, Jewish and Anthroposophical. Not perfectly clear on the reasoning, but someone mentioned cutting strength (like Samson). The Jewish tradition as I understand it is to have a celebration at the age of three, and everyone takes a snip of hair. Don't know if we'll do that, but I like the notion of those who have 'invested' in him getting a lock too!

By way of perspective, ds#1 told us when he wanted his hair cut (about 5 yrs. old). He wear his red mop short these days!
Old 06-23-2003, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What's up with these people mistaking our beautiful boys for girls??!!!!

I dress ds really boyish most of the time. And I ALWAYS get asked " how old is SHE?" and they are always telling me, "SHE is just so beautiful!" I try not to let it bug me and usually say, "oh, thanks we think HE is beautiful too!" They blame it on his hair. It is blonde and has these great curls!!! But like another poster said, we were at the beach and he had on swimming trunks I tell you, and a floppy Hanna hat and they made girl comments. He has beautiful blue eyes and long eyelashes too so it could be that!!I cant remember the last time someone said a boy comment to me!!LOL
But I refuse to cut his hair and dh is more adamant about it not being cut than me. And dh keeps his hair real short. But he has this Collector's Edition Longboarding Magazine ( surfing)that he bought about 5 years ago and that he still has and it has a 5 year old on the cover with a board and he has shoulder length blonde hair with some curl to it and dh says that its what Parker will look like. He's such a kook!!

I love my blonde, curl, long-haired boy!!!!!!!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Old 06-23-2003, 09:11 PM

I voted no but that's becasue dd (14 mos.) has no hair for me to cut!
It will probably be a long time before it reaches her eyes...which is probably when I'll start thinking about if it needs to be cut.

User Tag List