*Valentines thread for Nov 05 mamas!* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So here's a new thread for February

And our "old" Feb thread

I'm just home from work, and need to get to bed!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#2 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 05:47 AM

Well I am glad that I am finally "in the mix" at the beginning instead of straggling in at the middle or end of the month.

Hello!!! I have missed everyone!!!

Welcome, Laurie (eirual). Wow, and now that I just did that I will always remember how to spell your username. I hope you'll join in, I love these ladies as they are the most accepting group of mamas I know. You come, you go, you post, you take a break...they love you all the same.

Oh! And your Hunter and my Abigail share a birthday.

So. Why am I posting at 3:40 a.m.? I don't know!! My mind just won't stop tonight. Dh is out of town and I just can't rest. I have more to say but if I start it will be pages and pages. In a nutshell---Life is good overall, I've begun therapy to deal with stuff from my past (relationships, how my life as a mother began, etc.) and I am already feeling more optimistic. However, that whole pesky "dealing with your emotions" stuff takes a toll on the heart and the mind so I am just all over the place these days.

I've been trying to prioritize and figure out what's important to me. I've been wearing too many hats, and a lot of them are not authentic to me so lately I've been backtracking and cleaning up old messes and clearing up people's mis-assumptions (is that even a word?) of me.

Enough about me ... this is "Mothering"! How's Abigail? Well let me fill you in!

She walks, she babbles, she talks a bit. She climbs (a lot!), she opens drawers and empties them, she finds things a little bit taller than herself and swings from them, she eats (better than her big brother when he was this age!), she sleeps, she nurses, she hates to be away from me.

I am loving this, all of it. My only regret is that I hadn't been so wrapped up in myself when ds was this age. I was so worried about milestones and proper behaviour and such that I didn't get to enjoy him just learning and playing and experiencing things.

On a lighter note---I want to send out Valentines from the kids...I'm thinking construction paper, I'm thinking paint, I'm thinking 1 handprint from each of them on the same paper? Would be a cute little keepsake and pretty cheap and easy!

Are you guys doing any Valentines? If so, what?

Zjande---Helen mentioned a wedding, is that you? Has this happened yet?

How *is* everybody??

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#3 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 08:58 AM

I'm actually surprisingly good, considering. I went to a regional NCT training day yesterday, which was insane, but met so many fantastic people and got so many cool ideas, it was wonderful. So I was talking to the team who kept Stroud maternity unit open (this won't seem like a big deal to you, but they are FAMOUS over here. Honestly, it was an absolutely huge campaign because they proved conclusively that closing the birth centre, with it's low transfer, o% caesarean rate would cost the NHS trust tens of thousands of pounds a year more and it's a total false economy.) I got people telling me about the All Wales birth initiative (you'll like this. They're aiming for 10% homebirth by the end of the decade. The girls I talked to, in their district have 8.4% of their babies born at home. Swindon has 1%. That's crap. I have so many ideas of ways in which I can help people do things differently, and different things I want to do, and I'm seriously bouncing. Knackered and starving, but absolutely bouncing up and down, and seriously considering moving the committee meeting forwards so I can bounce with others, rather than by myself.
Oh, and I got to cuddle a teeny weeny 6 week old baby girl It helped a lot.
I've made some big decisions recently about my future and my career- this week has been an eyeopener for me. There is no way on this planet that I'm working within the NHS as a midwife, I'd rather scrape my eyes out with a blunt spoon. I don't think I can even stand three years in order to qualify, so right now I'm looking at other options (like the NCT) to do the work I wish to do.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#4 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 11:03 AM

Helen, that is so exciting!! Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you feel like you are on track and doing what you are meant to be doing? I am really happy for you!

Bex, I can understand where you are coming from. It takes a strong person to be that introspective and responsible for their own life, and my guess is that even though things feel a little swimmy right now, it will get easier and easier.

Tonight is the beginning of Phase Two, and it couldn't come at a better time. Last night she slept for ~3 hours in her bed, and then was up about every 45 minutes afterwards (and yes, that was when she was in bed with us). I was dying. DIE. ING. So tonight, we are going to do options 1 and 3, which were to keep her in her own bed at her first waking and verbally soothe her back into sleep, and then pick her up at her second waking. We're also going to go ahead with transitioning her into her bed at naptimes as well rather than letting her fall asleep on the boob and then put her down in the Amby, which is our usual routine. I am so desperate for her to stop waking every 45 to 90 effing minutes; this morning I got out of bed and said, "Can I tender my resignation?" GAH! I just keep hoping hoping hoping.

Speaking of hoping, DH has three follow-up interviews in the next week or so. Two are in Michigan (Detroit and Kalamazoo), which, no thanks. The third is in AUSTIN! So please keep all of your fingers and toes crossed for that one!

I think Aubrey did get married, but I can't remember the date. And I'm sure they are making sweet sweet love trying to conceive #4!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#5 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 01:50 PM

Just quickly stepping in to sub! I love you guys!!!
#6 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 02:54 PM

Bex80, can you PM me your address? There was a fantastic article in one of the UK parenting mags last issue on parenting your inner child, and I think you'd find it interesting.
Amy, I really hope she sleeps. Skye started doing better when we drugged her with a cup of warm milk at bedtime- but really, the big consolation I have to offer is:
at this age, Alex was sleeping for 6 hours a night. Tops. 30 minute chunks, generally, and nothing we could do would break it. No signs of sleep deprivation during the day, either.
NOW? Into bed and asleep at 7.30pm, up at 7am except on weekends, when he has a lie-in. It can change.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#7 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 03:19 PM

Amy I so hope that Brynn starts sleeping a little better for you.
I'm a little ashamed to admit that the only thing keeping me awake at night is myself. Winter hasn't woken in the middle of the night for over 6 months. I swear, he is a perfect angel.
My due date is tomorrow.
#8 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a laugh so hard you might get the baby out link for you DID (and I hope you don't mind me dredging this one up, FSM):
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=374071

I'm glad your training went so well, Helen. I've considered midwifery on and off and also decided that it wasn't the right choice for me (at least for now). Crappy on-call lifestyle, mostly.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#9 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 04:05 PM

: It's hard to imagine us all waiting patiently for our babies, considering how old they are now. Weird, isn't it?
#10 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 06:54 PM

Mel--OMG those are funny. I missed the GET OUT feeling stage with mine, and boy do I wish I had found you ladies sooner! Jacob was *due* in January of 2006. My water broke October 17th and I had 32 days of hospitalized bedrest praying my bean would stay in. It was soo scary! He was born at 33 weeks and was the healthiest baby in the NICU!! (granted if I had been on mothering then I'd be in the Jan DDC and I'm so happy here!!)

DiD -- Happy Due Day!! Prayers for a happy healthy baby and a wonderful birth!!

*Amy* Yay for sleep! I hope everything continues to go smoothly and you can find the peaceful sleeping arrangements you need! Fingers crossed for AUSTIN for you..but can't you find something in StLouis?!?! That's where we are moving next summer!

Oohh Bex! -- I'm so in the same place you are as far as dealing with me! You should feel free to share...mothering isn't just about our kids you know...it's about us too. I deal constantly with the pain of my past...and it's so scary. *hugs* to you mama for facing the monster and overcoming!!
She sounds like she is doing a lot of the same things that Jacob is doing...I'm so glad I learned now to love and enjoy the little things...for goodness sake the other day we spent 5 minutes feeling the grass. It was amazing~!!

Zjande -- Okay okay...we want details. You said Jan 29th...Spill woman!! Seriously though...I'm on pins and needles. I want to know how everything went and see if there are any awesome things I should steal :

Now for us...

Okay so for anyone who missed it...here is my Wedding Website
I'm still working on it, but it is turning out so well, I really wanted to share. We got engagement pictures on the beach and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my photographer she took NIP pictures while Jacob was nursing! All of that and some odds and ends about me can be found there. Everyone is welcome to sign my guestbook there too..the more the merrier

We probably won't do valentines this year...Jacob's DCP is a Jehovah's witness..so she doesn't celebrate any holidays..I wouldn't want to cause any problems /shrug. We are going to take out my best friend and her hubby and their daughter. We lovingly joke that Jacob and K are going to get married...so he is gonna take her out to Rainforest Cafe and treat her to a nice dinner out! It will be fun and great to spend the day with friends!

Okay I am determined to keep Nov 05 at the top of the Toddler forum this month...I'm a busy woman so you guys better help
#11 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 10:26 PM

wow! we are some chatty mamas this month!

just subbing for now, I'll be checking in later...
#12 of 368 Old 02-04-2007, 11:22 PM

Subbing!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#13 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 AM

Helen - I am sending so many hugs your way. Please know that you are in my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Susannah, that picture was actually taken back in October, so she was probably around 10 months old! I think it's all the hair she still had back then, before I gave it a good cut.

Y'all, I'm in the worst mood the past couple of days. My period is REALLY affecting me, and I don't like it. I was hardly talking to DH or Brynn last night and was having thoughts like, "Do you have to chew so *loudly*??" UGH! And even though I would say we are still making progress with the sleep routine (she will definitely get into bed while awake and fall asleep within a couple of minutes, without crying), she's still waking up SO MUCH during the rest of the night. Tomorrow night will be 14 days, so I think we are going to "take it to the next level" as DH said and get serious about keeping her in bed after her first wake up, and then bring her into bed after her second waking. But I feel like crap today. :
*Amy* - let me tell you I am sure jealous of all that beautiful hair
Keagan's hair has FINALLY started to grow and there are cute ringlets - people keep asking me when I am going to cut it; say that he will start looking like a girl. Grrrr. Can't he just be cute? Why can only girls be cute and have curls?
Oh - and that whole mood thing - have you tried Hyland's PMS formula? It is fabulous!

[QUOTE=Bex80;7205694]
So. Why am I posting at 3:40 a.m.? I don't know!! My mind just won't stop tonight. Dh is out of town and I just can't rest. I have more to say but if I start it will be pages and pages. In a nutshell---Life is good overall, I've begun therapy to deal with stuff from my past (relationships, how my life as a mother began, etc.) and I am already feeling more optimistic. However, that whole pesky "dealing with your emotions" stuff takes a toll on the heart and the mind so I am just all over the place these days.

I've been trying to prioritize and figure out what's important to me. I've been wearing too many hats, and a lot of them are not authentic to me so lately I've been backtracking and cleaning up old messes and clearing up people's mis-assumptions (is that even a word?) of me.

Enough about me ... this is "Mothering"! How's Abigail? Well let me fill you in!

She walks, she babbles, she talks a bit. She climbs (a lot!), she opens drawers and empties them, she finds things a little bit taller than herself and swings from them, she eats (better than her big brother when he was this age!), she sleeps, she nurses, she hates to be away from me.

I am loving this, all of it. My only regret is that I hadn't been so wrapped up in myself when ds was this age. I was so worried about milestones and proper behaviour and such that I didn't get to enjoy him just learning and playing and experiencing things.

On a lighter note---I want to send out Valentines from the kids...I'm thinking construction paper, I'm thinking paint, I'm thinking 1 handprint from each of them on the same paper? Would be a cute little keepsake and pretty cheap and easy!

Are you guys doing any Valentines? If so, what?

QUOTE]

Bex- good luck with the "dealing with emotions" stuff. It's hard work. I was in therapy for years on & off and it just didn't work for me. I know alot of people who it is helping/has helped but I am just not one of them. It makes me even crazier
I love your Valentine's Day idea - I may steal it if that is okay with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Amy I so hope that Brynn starts sleeping a little better for you.
I'm a little ashamed to admit that the only thing keeping me awake at night is myself. Winter hasn't woken in the middle of the night for over 6 months. I swear, he is a perfect angel.
My due date is tomorrow.
DID - tomorrow - OMG! I can't wait for you
And I am very jealous of Winter sleeping so well!

In our news, KeaganRae started giving kisses this weekend - I love it! He tries to blow kisses too but basically just kisses his hand and that is it. We are out of town right now celebrating my DW's birthday and Keagan is entertaining himself so much, I can't help but wonder what is so different from home. New place but the entertainment is pretty much self-contained. Interesting. Not much else going on here - oh, but I did get to sleep in today - until 9am!!!!! I couldn't believe it - Keagan was still snoring next to me when I woke up. AND he took an almost 2 hour nap this afternoon. Ahhhhh. It was a nice break - I almost finished a new set of cutesy longies I am knitting

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#14 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 01:19 AM

i need to go back and read but just wanted to pop in for a hello!

ez has had that stomach virus thing since thursday. she threw up for the last time this morning, hopefully! she is actually eating more than mama's milk as of today, too. the one upside is that every linen in our house has been washed in the past four days (b/c it was either puked on or shit on!) and is now clean! oh, yeah, and half of our clothes are all clean and in the closets, now, too after going through the same test as the linens. i am just so thankful that she is better. ez is a lean babe with few ounces to spare. she's about 18 pounds on a heavy day.

dh and i had the same thing about two weeks ago. now, i have a wicked cough and sore throat. this past year, i have gotten so many bugs and sickies. ugh!

i started a blog a while back. it's embarrassingly boring though.

last tuesday was my 29th birthday. i have spent too many hours watching "frontier house" in it's entirety. i got the dvd set for my birthday; no tv here so i missed it whenever it was on pbs. but totally devoured it when i heard about the project. how fun. i still am romantic about it all. i lived in montana years, ago. dh and i were all lusty about going back there while we were watching the dvd!

happy february!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#15 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 02:30 AM

Ellie is just too cute!

She seems to be having some kind of a major growth spurt, she's been nursing constantly the last few days. Still eats great, too - my kids have healthy appetites! I just have to say, though, that the diapers the day after she eats 3-4 clementine oranges really gross me out. Poo should not be citrusy-fresh. Gag!

#16 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 08:45 AM

Can't sympathise, Jen, Skye refuses to touch any kind of citrus fruit. Or tomatoes, which makes me wonder about allergies. TBH, though, I think she's acquiring her daddy's pickiness. I hope the growth spurt ends soon- I wonder what she's going to do next?
Gunter, I hope Ezra gets better soon. Sick kids aren't fun, especially if you're still getting better yourself.
Susannah, when are you going to come play in yarn crafts? Keagan sounds adorable- I love those baby kisses.
DiD, I owe you an induction. Skye was born after a combination of FSM's induction recipe, Mary Cronk's induction recipe and you declaring that you were SURE my waters had broken. You may have been wrong, but it still got the baby out (I'm happy to share Mary's, btw. She's the independent midwife we were about to book with, with Skye. It's a doozie- just stretch and sweep and castor oil, but I laughed until I dilated.)

#17 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM

Subbing. Be back later. Looks like a lot has happened already in our new thread!!
#18 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 01:25 PM

It's my due date today mamas. I'm 40 weeks. I managed to not wake up and cry into my pillow. I haven't had my morning cup of coffee yet but hey, I think we're off to a good start.
#19 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 PM

Awww Mama. Can't be too much longer now. I mean, two weeks max, right? Sorry DiD, you know I love you!!

#20 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
It's my due date today mamas. I'm 40 weeks. I managed to not wake up and cry into my pillow. I haven't had my morning cup of coffee yet but hey, I think we're off to a good start.
Happy Due Date day!!! Mama, your bundle of joy will be here before you know it!!!
#21 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Hope you pop soon, DiD!

Susannah - Rowan does exactly the same thing blowing kisses. It's still cute

QofC - I hear you on the citrusy fresh poop. Only for us, it's blueberry poop.

I am exhausted after the weekend. I took Rowan out for coffee and a walk yesterday with some friends. It was raining so I bundled her up in her rain gear and stuck her in the stroller (she hates the rain cover on the stroller). She was fine for a while then I think she got really tired and just started crying and I couldn't find enough fun things to point out to her to distract her, so I ended up making a break for home at a run. She cried the whole way home and I felt like such an idiot for not bringing a sling - there was no way I could carry her all that way - and as it turns out, she was just really, really tired and wouldn't have been happy being carried anyway. She kept crying until I smucked her on a boob and then she fell asleep instantly. She slept for 3 hours (with some additional boobie intervention) so she must have been just wiped. Poor little bug. Bad mama.

But I made the BEST sourdough pancakes for breakfast yesterday. Mmmmm.... I am getting back into my sourdough hobby. I've got bread on the go but I don't know if the starter is strong enough yet. We'll see.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#22 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 04:32 PM

Happy due date DID!! I hope she lets you off the hook and makes her debut soon.

Thanks foe the encouragement about therapy. It only took me 2 years to get up the courage to go again. I went for a while in college and it was a good experience but a lot has happened since then.

Anyone is welcome to the Valentine's Day idea. I did that one when Austin was 1 and it was great. I used some fancy scissors around the edge to make a "border"... you know those scrapbooking kind of shears?

I second the citrus dipes. With Austin it was mandarin oranges, they also gave him a wicked rash. With Abigail it's craisins. Oh, and once she ate a lot of raisins and I guess they sort of reconstituted in her bowels because they looked like small grapes when they showed up at the other end!

So exciting, those of you getting married/already now married!

Sarah, would you mind sharing that pancake recipe? Just the name sounds delish!

Amy, I sure do hope that Brynn gets the hang of phase 2 asap. It sounds like you are truly wiped out and ready for regular sleep again. Abigail just started sleeping through around her first birthday.

Helen, I am excited for you because you sound so excited! Does this mean that the standards for birth/homebirth will change where you live? I am guessing that NHS is national Health Care? Please forgive me if I'm wrong. I am so embarassed to ask, but are you working now? Would midwifery be a change or do you already work in healthcare?

How do you all do your "internet" time? I am getting frustrated because I am finding that I have to do more and more while dd naps and now she's on the brink of cutting naps from 2 to 1. When bedtime comes, I just want to go to sleep myself. Dh is working mad hours, 8-7 and then more from home after playing with the kids for half an hour. I am BEAT!!

But during the day I need a respite here and there and whenever I sit down, Abigail wants to nurse (acrobatically) and I can hardley comprehend what I've read, much less form a reasonable reply.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#23 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 05:30 PM

So much to say this month from everyone!
I'm just popping in for a quick hello

And I hope the baby comes soon, DiD!
And Amy, I hope phase 2 went well last night.
And spughy, thank you so much for helping me through my mastitis.
(I got it this weekend). I actually STILL have a fever (100), though am on antibiotics, but the redness, pain, blocked ducts, etc, seems to be gone. So, I'm still laying low, and since DH is out of a job at the moment, it works out well that he's home to help take care of Finley while I take it easy.

He does seem to be getting some gigs at this editing/production company, so that is a positive thing.

And kaspirant, thanks for sharing your wedding website! It's Beautiful! Great work.

And Q of C, Ellie and Killie are adorable I love seeing the pictures of them.

Helen, thinking of you, and so glad that you feeling so positive and alive and called and inspired in this direction of helping women and babies in your area through the birthing process. How very exciting.

Bex80, that's great about therapy. I hope it is helping. I have thought about doing some therapy myself, to help work through pains of the past (and present, even), but haven't quite come through with it. I try to work through it on my own, which sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. Kudos to you for sticking to it and doing it. And yes, I agree, it is very much a part of mothering, as this board is very much about the mothers as well as the children.

Am trying to both relax and get little things done the rest of the day, as tomorrow is a big one, with a photo session in the morning (to add to my portfolio, a complimentary one therefore), and teaching baby sign language in the afternoon. Am anxious to hear the lead results...we should get them today...if there is any lead in our apartment. Will keep you posted!

Sending out some love (and labor dust your way, DiD!)

#24 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 07:01 PM

Barcelona, ick. That stinks about your mastitis, but I am glad your honey is home to help you. And yay for your shoot tomorrow, and DH's prospects!

DiD, still thinking about you today! A friend of mine here in town had her DS#2 this morning, so birthing vibes are in the air!

Spughy - yum!!

QoC - I love that picture of Killy and Ellie holding hands! You'll have to remind them of that when they're teenagers and hate eachother.

Kaspirant, I love your wedding site! What lovely pictures. And this is going to sound funny, but you don't look anything like how I pictured you! I was always imagining you with long dark hair and dark eyes. Isn't it funny how we create mental images of each other?

Gunter, Happy birthday!! Can I tell you how much I LOVE frontier house? I watched it like 2 years ago (in two days) and I *still* think about it. Do you like any of the other House series? And that is so hard that Ez has been so sick! Brynn and I had the same thing over the Thanksgiving holiday, and it was horrible, and we also went through every sheet, pillowcase, blanket, and set of jammies in the house - and we were at my in-laws! It was god awful. Brynn lost over a pound, and she's pretty lean too, so I was a little sad about that. I hope she's on the mend now. Oh, and I want to see your blog!

Susannah, no I haven't tried Hylands PMS. I will look for it, thanks for the tip! I definitely seem to need it! Oh, and as far as the ringlets, just ask Fern if you should cut them or not!

Thanks for all of the positive sleep vibes. Last night went very well. She slept for 2.5 hours the first time, and when she woke up I encouraged her to lay back down and go do sleep. She wasn't exactly enthusiastic about it, and she cried a bit, but she did to back to sleep for another hour! After that, she came to bed with us, and can I just tell y'all that she slept SO MUCH BETTER than usual for the rest of the night. I remember waking up around 4:45 to her asking for milk (or "ilk" as she calls it), but there was no crying, no fussing, no kicking, nothing. Just a sweet little "ilk, ilk" and that was it. I think she did wake sometime before that but again, it was just really calm and peaceful. She nursed for about 5 minutes, and then rolled herself over and went back to sleep. I was in heaven, I tell you. She was also much less restless overall, thankfully. She woke up for the morning around 7:00 and was in a great mood, and has been SO sweet and cuddly and funny all day. We had a total love fest on the living room floor for about 30 minutes this morning, and then she took a 2.5 hour nap and I held her so that we could get in our quota of cuddling time for the day. And so I could keep reading my book! Anyway, this is the second time I've tried this approach; the first time was about a week ago and it was also the best sleep we've seen in a long time. So I feel good about the night-time aspect of Phase 2. The nap changes just aren't working though; I tried several times to get her to sleep in her bed and/or the Amby yesterday, but she just wasn't having it so DH ended up holding her for about an hour while she slept so I could get some stuff done. We talked about it and both agreed that it seemed to be pushing it too much, and given that she always naps just fine anyway, why mess with a good thing!? Anyway I know y'all wanted to hear every single detail!!

The weather is SO COLD here and we are totally housebound, which sucks. Also our heater is running constantly and the air in our house is so dry that both of us had fly-away hair this morning - like so extreme that I almost took a picture of Brynn; it looked like she had touched one of those lightning ball things that they have at science museums. I finally turned on the humidifier upstairs, and then turned on our rice steamer and left the lid off downstairs, so it seems to have helped a bit.

And if anyone wants to keep reading this message that NEVER ENDS, I have to share a couple of cute things that Brynnie is doing. One, she says "WOW-WEE!" whenever she is really impressed by something. Two, she is all about whispering now, which is just so precious and adorable. Third, she is in a *major* hugging phase. She wants to hug everything (and I mean everything): me, her dolls, her toys, the window, the phone, the picture of the author of my book (on the back cover), pens, her feet. Everything. It is hilarious.

OK, that'll do.

#25 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Amy, Rowan is right into the hugging now too. She hugs all the pictures she likes in her books, but she's learned that the cat does not like to be hugged so she leans over and gives her delicate little kisses on the top of her kitty head. I can hear the little "smack smack" sounds. Thankfully, the cat doesn't mind this at all and it is so adorable I just turn into a little puddle when I see it. Then she turns around and suddenly delicate, gentle Rowan disappears and she starts terrorizing the dog or pulling my hair or poking my eyes... and I KNOW why she's so gentle with the cat, it's because if she's not, she gets scratched, and she knows it. It's too bad she can't respond so well to "gentle, Rowan, gentle"...

Last night I took what was supposed to be a relaxing bath but all I could hear was "Rowan, leave the dog alone. Rowan, please don't pull the dog's fur. Rowan. ROWAN! Leave Daisy alone. Come help Daddy in the kitchen. NO! Rowan, don't pull Daisy's tail..." And yet, put a snack in Rowan's hand, and all of a sudden the tables are turned, and it's Daisy chasing Rowan around the couch instead. One day, they will be best of friends, I know it - but I think that day is a long way off...

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#26 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 08:28 PM

So much to catch up on here! Seemingly everyone is doing well and that is wonderful.
Isa is doing well most of the time. Her bottom molars or eyeteeth (not sure which they are) are now poking out. However for the last few days, they have been wicked swollen and sometimes bloody. She seems uncomfortable, as I imagine she would be. Other than that, life is pretty good around here. It IS effen COLD in Indianapolis, but I heard our team won the superbowl so I guess that's cool. Not a sportsfan, neither is DH and we don't have a TV. I kinda like living in a media vacuum.
Isa's new tricks are meowing like cat, to the cat, or to pictures of cats, or lions, tigers, leopards, etc... It's wonderfully cute and since our cat is pretty vocal, they talk to each other now. She is also chanting OM with us before bed. Par of our routine involves saying goodnight to the rooms. In our dining room, we have 2 OM's on the wall and when we say goodnight to them, we chant. Isa's chant is pretty quiet, but she's doing it, which I think is a great step toward learning to relax on her own before bed. I can totally see us all chanting OM as a family to help her to sleep after her nursing days are over!

*Amy* Hoping the positive sleep trend continues! :yawn:

DiD: labor vibes for peaceful, safe, joyous delivery :

Bex80: I know what you mean about finding computer time... Mostly I've been too tired to even sign on!

spughy: I hate myself when I forget the Ergo carrier. I think Isa hates me too.

zjande: where are you? :
#27 of 368 Old 02-05-2007, 09:16 PM

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been around this site for a long time, mostly lurking and I wasn't active here with my Nov 05 bub.

Della Fern is a true joy. She is very huggy kissy. She loves to dance and twirling is her new skill.

Last time I weighed her, she was 35.25 lbs and was 34 inches tall. I didn't believe I would have a baby bigger than my first but she is. My first was 29.5 lbs at a year, Della Fern was 35 at 10 mos.

Bex80!!! OMG both our kids are days apart! DD1 was 5/6/02 and Della Fern was 11/29/05. WOW!

I should mention that we are still BFing (duh - DD1 weaned at 4.5 years) and Della has minimal interest in solids. Yeah, I know! Super creamy mama's milk!
#28 of 368 Old 02-06-2007, 12:04 AM

Lunchbox~

Wanted to chime in that Abs is totally huggy and we have to say 'goodnight' to all 6 "friends" in her crib.

spiritmomma, too sweet about Isa chanting! I bet she has a dear little voice. I find anything they say or do at this age fascinating. Hearing those pure little voices just move me so.

Amy, YAY for last night! I hope tonight brings more of the same. I love the 'ilk, ilk'. Good idea about the humidifier, my hands are cracked and bleeding and all of us have crazy hair. Ugh! Ths static electricity from Abs' sleeper is cool to see during a middle of the night nursing session. Little sparks and snaps of blue electricity. Trippy!

Barcelona, forgive me but have you begun a photo career? I have been (noticeably) absent from many of our PP threads and am catching up on who's workinga nd doing what. : Sounds like a bunch of fun despite ehich side of the camera you are on for your session tomorrow. Photography is so beautiful. I hope the mastitis clears up and goes away ASAP. That sounds so painful and uncomfortable.

Sarah, sounds like Rowan and Abigail both have a bit soft spot for kitties. That is so neat how she gives little gentle kisses. And hey, while I wish there were easier ways to teach about stuff like sharp kitty claws, sometimes all that works are natural consequences. My mom must've told me a thousand times that our cat Luther taught us kids how to treat him. She said it only took one time with each of us.

Abigail LOVES Lars, our kitty. Whenever she spies him she squeals and says "Laaaahs!". I guess because I always talk in a high pitched voice to the cat myself. She always wants to pet him and stuff and she gets totally distracted by him whenever she's eating. She will squirm to get down and no amount of cajoling or even puting the cat out dissuade her. No wonder she still hasn't topped 20 pounds yet...:eyeroll

#29 of 368 Old 02-06-2007, 02:29 AM

Welcome, lunchbox! Wow you have big kids! I thought mine was doing pretty well at 22 lbs! Funny you should mention weight - I just weighed Rowan yesterday, more out of curiosity than anything else... I picked her up and I thought "ugh, I think she's put on weight" and sure enough she's put on about 2 lbs since her 12-mo checkup. I guess we don't have to worry that she's eating enough!

#30 of 368 Old 02-06-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
Last time I weighed her, she was 35.25 lbs and was 34 inches tall. I didn't believe I would have a baby bigger than my first but she is. My first was 29.5 lbs at a year, Della Fern was 35 at 10 mos
Wow! I am so impressed! My son was always above the 90th percentiles for height and weight (except now his weight has dropped quite a bit as he's super active, but he's still quite tall), and everyone thinks Ellie is just minuscule when she stands next to him. I constantly have people comment on how absolutely tiny she is, and I gently let them know that she was 60th percentile for height and 50th percentile for weight at one year, so she's almost perfectly average. I think its because she walks and moves so well to be only be 14 months. She runs, she carries heavy toys, she's been practicing walking backwards the last couple of weeks, she climbs ladders (and anything else!)...

We're in the super-kissy phase, too. I love it! She kisses us a million times a day, kisses her dolls, pictures in books, tries to chase the cats down to kiss them... The other night she was going to bed, and wanted to kiss Killy, but he was distracted and not paying attention to her. I said, "Killy! Ellie wants to kiss you goodnight." He froze in the middle of the kitchen, leaned his head down, looked at Ellie and said, "Ellie, please kiss me." and waited with his lips puckered till she walked over and kissed him on the lips. Then he said, "Thank you, Ellie." and went back to playing. It was so sweet I nearly melted right there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page