Mamas of young toddlers introduce yourself... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!! I guess we can introduce ourselves on this thread for the little toddlers in our lives who don't quite fit the "Toddler" category...

My ds has been toddling for about a month now: I am right now debating vaxing for him. I have done his DTp but am thinking of holding off all others until he is over 3. Any other mamas agonizing over this here? I am also debating getting him his 1st pair of walkers. He wears the soft soled Robeez type right now but now that he is walking I don't want to put him down in public in them w/ the snow melted puddles soaking into them, but I am concerned about the proper growth of his feet.

Looking forward to chatting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-07-2007, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all,

I've been lurking around here a bit, glad there is thread for those of us "in between" the two groups. DD is 1 and hasn't quite started walking yet but man is she verbally a toddler. She is a stage where she thinks she talking like us but is making no sense at all. It fustrates the heck out of her and its really hard to watch her struggle. She has picked up a TON of signs very quickly, which has helped but I don't know any more signs....lol so I need to go get a book.
#3 of 13 Old 02-07-2007, 08:45 PM

My littlest, Luka, is 13 mos. He's been walking since 8.5 mos. so he is definitely 100% toddler now. He has about 30 words, which I love! My oldest was a late talker and it's so cool to be able to talk to him at this age. His newest, hilarious trick is spinning around singing "ashes, ashes" and then plopping down on the ground-- his version of Ring Around the Rosie.

Both of my kids are and will remain totally vax-free, but I did struggle with the issue when my oldest was a toddler. He's 4 now, has had whooping cough (at 2.5, not a huge deal), and I feel totally confident with my choice.

I have both my kiddos in soft-soled shoes-- Isabooties for the little guy and Robeez or joshoes (www.joshoes.com) for my 4 yr. old. If it's really, really wet out, I'll put my oldest in rain boots and carry Luka. But if it's only a little wet, their shoes can handle it. I really love our Isabooties, Luka's been walking in his pair every day since August and they are just now starting to look worn (seam coming apart). They are sooo thin and dry really fast (you can even put them in the dryer). Or, you can have a layer of PUL added to the sole of any pair of Joshoes to waterproof them. My partner has flat feet so it's really important to me that my boys wear soft-soled shoes and develop strong little feet and arches. I did buy them both snow boots the other day so we could go sledding, but that's the only occasion where they'll need hard soles. Between flexible rubber rainboots and soft-soled shoes, we're fine 360 days a year.

We're trying to nightwean now-- anyone else? He's been sleeping in bed with his daddy while my oldest and I sleep by ourselves. He usually wakes up once or twice a night and cries or a few minutes before snuggling back to sleep. I am much, much more sane and fun to be around when I get to sleep through the night. He nurses at least 15 or so times a day, so he's getting plenty of mama milk even without any at nighttime (defined as midnight-8am).
#4 of 13 Old 02-07-2007, 08:53 PM

when the weather turned wet i switched my ds from robeez to some shoes from angelcovers.org they're leather with thin rubber soles. i'd love to find some rubber rainboots though for when he's playing in the mud.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#5 of 13 Old 02-07-2007, 09:20 PM

Mommy to a toddler here!

DD is 14 months (almost 15) and has been walking since 8 months. She has about 65 words now and really is becoming a little lady (hate for her to grow up ya know!)

She is quite independant, too. Recently learned the word "no" (not from us) and started asserting herself. Yesterday nana asked her in the car on the way home from daycare if she was a good girl at school today and she said "no" in a very dismissive manner

Eats like a champ and looks like a 3 year old. Already showing signs she is ready for potty training Mommy is so not ready for that yet.

Can't she be a baby a little longer? We are only having 1 so this is it for me. Gosh I miss the baby blob days (though she was never really a blog since she held up her own head from birth).
#6 of 13 Old 02-07-2007, 09:20 PM

Hi mamas,

ds is 13 months and definitely a toddler--he started walking a week before his birthday and recently discovered running, which has made life interesting. He has quite a few words, although some of them sound the same and have to be interpreted by context. The latest, just this week, is "baboo"--boobies! Too funny. He's also obsessed with "shoes", "juice", "babas" (babies), "dog dogs" and books.

He's still in his Shoo Shoos (like Robeez), though he has a few pairs of tougher shoes that I think he's prob already grown out of. He has huge feet. We're selectively vaxing--he had 3 of the DTaP and polio and a couple of the others, and I think we're done for the moment. Definitely not doing MMR or chicken pox or anything like that.

He's a lousy sleeper, up many, many times a night to nurse. He was getting steadily better over Dec break (we had a couple nights of only 3 wakings or so), but he's now working on his molars so it's all out the window. I'm tired.

Looking forward to chatting! Great to have our own little thread. How much and what are your LOs eating these days? It's a bit of a struggle to find things that ds will eat--it's not that he's picky, he just decides that he doesn't want to eat. We recently discovered Kashi waffles which are a huge hit.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#7 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 04:43 AM

Hello other mamas of.... bobblers. Ds is almost 13 months and has been walking for a couple of months now. Very active and curious and soooo much fun.
He doesn't have real words yet, but can moo like a cow and who like an owl.
Still wearing Robeez slippers, and will be in the next size soon (18-24m!)
Sleeping? whats that? We have always been challenged in that department.
Glad to meet you all!
#8 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 04:57 AM

Hello!
My dd is 12 mo and been walking for about a month or so. I did vax up to 9 months but haven't since- haven't made it in and want to look into it a little more. I am also having issues about shoes- I love the Robeez but I don't think they'd hold up in our Alaskan winters. I've been wanting to get some fur/leather scraps and make her a little pair of booties, but I don't think that's actually going to happen! As far as eating, I've been totally dropping the ball on that and she's almost exclusively breastfed, but she does get avocado and egg yolks as often as possible.
She understands some signs, but only waves and shake-uh shake-uhs--this little wiggle dance where she shakes her hands! Cuteness! She also knows nuhnuh (booby).
This age is fun- right in between the baby and toddler world!
#9 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hey mamas, I guess I am the only one here so far w/ a young toddler. I am suffering through the night as well though. During the day he is up to 3-3.5 hours between nursing but at night he goes every 1.5 hours. We have a crib for him next to our bed but he always winds up in our bed anyway. I tried keeping in his crib for a night but he just cries and that is much more stressful to me then him so he just comes into bed. If he is in our bed for the night he will nurse every 45 min-1 hour. He goes on search mode by himself until he latches on which isn't bad but I can't sleep through it so I am up w/ him. Right now I am dealing w/ the whole family issue of why haven't I weaned him yet. He is too old to be nursing still. Switch him over to milk/formula.....why would I give him artificial milk and/or some other animal's milk when he can have fresh human milk whenever he wants???
#10 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 01:06 PM

Hi!

My ds is 12 1/2 month, and has been toddling since just before 9 months. He doesn't talk much yet, though he can copy noises and animal sounds. He does have several words - everything starting with B! But other people can't really understand them.

He wears the little soft leather shoes from Target (don't remember the brand name) - I can't stand hard shoes for his little feet! We don't have much trouble with it being cold and wet here in TN, but we did get some really soft leather boots for a trip to Milwaukee. They are fuzzy on the inside, so they're really warm. The brand is Uggs - I'm afraid they're a bit expensive, though - his grandmother got them for him. They don't hold up well, though, they started coming apart at the seams after about 4 days of walking on our scrapy concrete sidewalk. But I think if you really want warm shoes that are still flexible, they could be good, you'd just need to reinforce the toe seams with some strong thread.

He's been doing better with sleeping at night - I still feed him when he wakes up, so he won't be hungry, but this past month he's only been waking up once or twice most nights. FINALLY! He sleeps in his crib in his own room now, since when he's in our room he seems to get woken up every time we roll over, and when he's in our bed he does nothing but crawl around all night! He slept better with us when he was smaller, but since he turned 10 months or so it just seemed to stop working, and he seems to like his crib. He even goes back to sleep by himself every once in a while.

Hevyne, don't listen to the stop-nursing people! At his year-old appointment my doctor started telling me that I should think about weaning, too. : She's older, so I guess she just hasn't kept up with the research. *sigh* Even if regular people don't educate themselves, you'd think a doctor would.

As for vaxing... it's a hard issue. We've gone ahead with most of them, after lots of research and hard thinking, but we're spacing them out a bit. And we don't want the chicken pox one, though that's going to be a fun visit next time when I tell the doctor... last time she wanted to do it, but I said I didn't want it that day because he kind of had a cold. If she gives me too hard a time we're getting a new doctor, though, I'm about fed up with this one.

And that's long enough for one introduction, I think!

hapersmion
#11 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 01:35 PM

FWIW, when my little guy started walking at 8.5 mos., I just called him a "walking baby." It wasn't until he really started talking that I started calling him a toddler.
#12 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

What do you consider talking? He says, mama, dada, gar gar (for the cat), baby, and boo (for boob) I think he is just starting early on stuff...my oldest was like that too. Since he is going to be my last I wish he would slow down and go back to my cuddly blob....but he just won't listen...darn kids
#13 of 13 Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 PM

DS is 13 months old--boy, time flies! He's been walking for about 2 weeks now and is getting into everything. Current favorite things are trucks (all kinds, but especially fire trucks and dump trucks), ladybugs, his stuffed doggy, and reading books. We are still nursing although only a few times a day at this point. Loves to eat whatever we are eating and sometimes I'm amazed at how much he can put away! Although I do sometimes miss the baby baby days, he is so much fun now that I am just enjoying every day...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page