when should i worry about dd not talking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd is about 16 1/2 months old now and still doesnt alk. she says mama,dada and nanana(banana) but thats it then lots of baby talk. she uses lots of baby signs though. and can definately understand us b/c she'll do what we ask or surprise me and do things im talking to other ppl about (like theother night i was on the phone with my mom and i told her how dd stand in the window to look at the birds and squirels, well 2 mins later she pointed to the window stood in it and then did the sign for bird and squirrel).
should i worry shes not taling/ she had no interest it seems either. dh thinks the baby signs or inhibiting her talking, i dont think they are but need some reassurance in that dept too. thanks mamas!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 05:54 PM

At this point, your daughter seems fine. No two babies are alike, and they all talk in their own time. Some start early(my son), some start late (my daughters), but all start. She can say some words, and that shows some potential. But, by all means, if you feel that there is something wrong, then have her checked out by a doctor.

My son started talking at six months. My daughters were almost 2 when they started talking. I have twins, and one of my twins talks way more than the other. The one who holds out more speaks much more clearly than the one who talks a lot(when she talks) My grandmother was making me nervous, because she kept saying that they don't talk. But they do talk now!!

I hope this helps.
#3 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 05:58 PM

She is doing just fine, I think.
My daughter didn't say much more than, 'ma' 'da' and 'ki-is' (kitties) until at least 18 months. She just used "na" for everything. Pointed at what she wanted, "na" or to tell me anything, "na" it was cute for a while but got tiring (it was hard to resist making fun almost). She eventually started to substitute word-souds like "ba" for ball (or balloon or bed), "pa" for grandpa, etc. Now, at two, she occasionally says, "na" when she doesn't know what something is called, and then looks to me to give her the word, which she usually tries to mimic.
Don't worry about it--as long as she is trying with baby talk, and seems to understand, she is learning language. Soon you'll regret wishing she'd talk because she'll do it all her waking moments (and in her sleep, too, we have recently experienced a lot of this).
We did some signing, too, and I don't know if it makes a difference in when they will start to talk but it helps reduce the frustration of a toddler being otherwise unable to communicate. Obviously she knows what she wants to say and the words will come later.

Proud mommy to DDs (12/04) and (11/07)
#4 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 06:24 PM
kdf

My MIL who has taken a lot of communication courses and who has raised a lot of kids says you don't have to worry until they are 2. B/c I was worried that my ds wasn't talking much at all and she said don't worry he isn't 2. Also she says that words are only 7% of communication and it sounds like your dd is communicating with you just fine.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#5 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 06:51 PM

my dd didn't really say anything other than mama and dada before 20 months or so... she would babble, point, etc. but she really didn't talk. Then one day (it was literally like overnight) she just started talking. She is almost 2, and she can say three and four word combos now (there it is, shoes on, I ate it, etc.) and she has more words then I could possibly count!

I can remember being really worried when dd was about 18 months and everyone else had a toddler that was talking quite a bit. I decided that I would hold off until she was 2, then take her to the ped. if she still wasn't talking (I should say that my instincts told me she was ok, just a late talker) It sounds to me like she is well on her way, just a late bloomer like my dd was. FWIW, she talks much better than the other two kids her age that were talking well before her. It was literally like a language explosion with her.

I don't want to say that you should take it lightly... but when I was in your shoes, I just decided to wait it out a bit longer, and I'm glad I did.
#6 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 07:58 PM

no worries until 18 mos. even then, don't worry, just get an eval.
#7 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Baby signs count as words - does she have more than 10 words + signs? If so, I wouldn't worry. If she has more than 50 by 18-19 months I wouldn't worry. If by 22-23 months she's got tons of signs and only 3-4 spoken words, then I'd go for an eval. But I bet it won't happen.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 PM

Saying "mamamama, dadadada, nananana" and other bits of baby talk IS talking.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#9 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 PM

My DS is almost 19 months old and has about 10 words that I know of.

He doesn't use all of them often but I'm not really worried at this point.

My DS is showing he wants things by pointing or leading me to items. He also understands simple instructions like "go get your shoes" or "go to the door" so I know things are fine.

I think your DD is fine as she is talking via signing instead of orally.
#10 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas!!!
wow if signs count as words then shes got about 20 words at least
thank you thank you everyone. i know im paranoid and sometimes i just need reassurance in this messed up world!!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#11 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 09:47 PM

My 19 mos says, mama...to anything and anyone. He also says, "uh oh" Is that a word?...and hmmm I think that's it. He can sign. I didn't know that counted and he can definetly communicate. I have heard dozens of stories of kids who talked late and of course they are all fine and they finally just took off chatting one day. My DD is a chatterbox so I am glad he isn't rushing into the chatty world too quickly.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#12 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 11:34 PM

I think things sound okay. I can tell you our story for some info/help.

I posted frequently about my son not talking when he was 15 months. He only had 3 words at that point. He is 21 months now and has about 30 words and 15 signs. Quite a jump. He is still behind, but I think he is certainly improving. I had him evaluated by EI and it took seven months to get therapy started. Anyhow, I was really UNDERwhelmed and UNimpressed with the therapist and I dropped her. He hated the therapy. I am just letting him go at his own pace and I bought several "signing time" dvds, which are phenomenal. I do flashcards occasionally but mostly I just talk to DS and enunciate clearly. That was all the therapist was doing, anyhow. I would worry if your child does not progress at all or begins to regress. However, I really feel after watching my own child that babies/toddlers work at their own pace with each milestone, talking included. You can get an evaluation if that puts your mind at ease, or you can wait. Likely they'll say he has some delay, (I say this because my son had the amt of words yours does and they said he was 40% behind at that age), and then put you on a list for free therapy through EI. You can try that and see if it helps.
#13 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 11:36 PM

Have you had your child's hearing tested? I remember that I was told to get that done before EI would evaluate my son for his speech. Sometimes slight hearing loss can cause some speech delays or deficits. Just a thought...
#14 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 PM

I don't really know but I am curious too. My DD is 15mos and she isn't talking or walking. I am getting a little bit nervous I guess.
#15 of 21 Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 PM

i wouldnt worry atall chum i recollect your recent tale of reunited friends and that suggests to me that K is very bright and aware indeed she's just prefering to sign right now

all kids are different
#16 of 21 Old 02-09-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
My DD is 15mos and she isn't talking or walking. I am getting a little bit nervous I guess.
Mine didn't walk until 17mos. He was a super fast crawler and could climb up onto anything but he would not get and walk...now he does though. My DS is "behind " in everything ...even when he was born he wouldn't focus his eyes properly.
Check out my story (It's the 1st one you see) on my blog for my little pokey son...
http://johannaandmichael.blog.com/

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#17 of 21 Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 AM

I've posted in a few various threads about this lately

My DS is also 16.5 mo, and has only a few words. Dada, ball, go... and he barks, whenever he sees/hears a dog. Does that count as a word?

He's said probably 10 other things that sound like words- mama, sissy, night-night, nana (Grandma's perferred name), no... but he's only said them a few times, and maybe only once where it fit- looking out the window and saying mamamama as opposed to saying it to me, KWIM?

Anybody else have trouble knowing when their DC is actually saying a word on purpose as opposed to babbling?
#18 of 21 Old 02-09-2007, 10:47 AM

Your DD talked more than mine did at that age. And just a few months later, she's reaching an explosion.

As long as your child UNDERSTANDS you, then enjoy the peace right now... in a few years you'll be wondering why you taught them to talk! LOL!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#19 of 21 Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 AM

My dd is not a talker yet. She does communicate very well, however. I think you have to consider the whole child when trying to make an assessment about their language development. The signs, body language, receptive language, and vocalizations are all important. DDs vocalizations have changed over time, and seem to become more word-like each week. Progress like that is more important to me than how many words. She picks up new signs in little spurts and I suspect her word production will be similar.
#20 of 21 Old 02-12-2007, 01:46 AM

ds can only say 10 words at 20 months. there are times when i get concerned but he seems happy and can *definitely* understand what dh and i are saying, probably more so than i would hope

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#21 of 21 Old 02-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Banned

she will talk soon enough,just give her time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page