14-15 month old eating habits - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-21-2003, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you still spoon feed your toddler any food? My MIL says I should be doing it alot. I occasionally spoon feed him when he is slow in eating or when it is mushy food, but I prefer to let him feed himself. He is starting to get the hang of the spoon and fork. How much does your toddler eat? Do you think this is a small amount or large amount of food for a meal?

Two pretzels
teaspoon of peanut butter (my ds's favorite )
two cooked carrot sticks
5 goldfish crackers
one vienna sausage
6 green beans
small piece of bread with peanut butter and jam
1/6 of a pear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-21-2003, 02:33 AM

Was that one meal?

My kids ... the one who's a toddler now and the others who were toddlers once ... would start tossing food overboard after the second pretzel.

We don't manage rounded meals here. Kind of like I read somewhere, we work on "rounded weeks." If all he eats is a couple of pieces of cut-up chicken for a meal, hey, great. Veggies seem to be a no-go already, not a good sign.

My biggest problem seems to be that I'm so used to just nursing when he gets fussy, that I forget to give him food and just end up nursing sometimes. Which is okay, I guess, as long as he eats something or other eventually ... I hope ... during the day ...

Yes, I spoonfeed the messiest stuff (yogurt, liquidy stuff). After a few, though, he's going to lose interest unless I give him the spoon. And that much cleaning I'm not interested in doing, so that's when I break out the cut-up-bits of stuff.

MILs. :

#3 of 10 Old 05-21-2003, 08:35 AM

Spoon feeding never worked with my little ones. they wanted the independence of feeding themselves. And giving them the spoon? BIG mess. It's all bite size chunks for my kids! And that meal plan looked great- well rounded, nutiritous.

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
#4 of 10 Old 05-21-2003, 09:11 AM

My ds is 13 months, but he gets spoon fed when I am eating something like Oatmeal or such. But I tend to put it on the spoon for him and he does the rest.

Small/Large he has gone between no solids all day to almost a whole Hot dog (ok we don't fit main stream here LOL!!! but we are APers and try to eat healthier foods.) He has even ate about 1 cup of french style green beans!!! Just depends on his mood and teeth...
#5 of 10 Old 05-21-2003, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. What I listed was one meal and it wasn't a big meal for him, just so-so. He will sit at his highchair for up to 90 minutes slowly enjoying his meal. I thought he ate alot, but I wasn't sure. He is only about 20 lbs now. My MIL has issues with food. We we visit it is very hard to feel hungry because we are supposed to eat, eat, eat all day and of course several of her children have weight problems. She would have a fit if he was nursing more than eating now. It was VERY hard for her to deal with me exclusively nursing until 6 months because apparently to her I was starving my son :
#6 of 10 Old 05-21-2003, 09:33 AM

My dd is almost 15 mo.
She eats like a truck driver LOL.... and still nurses!

I dont spoon feed her. She never liked it. I have a child who likes to feed herself and I let her.... granted the mess can be a little much but it makes her happy

My dd is also very tiny (it amazing) she is about 19 pounds but the way she eats.

Typical day is... first thing in the morning she gets an apple (a whole apple) then maybe some rasins/crackers. Then we have breakfast... usualy oatmeal where she will eat a whole bowel.

Then she takes a nap and when she wakes we have lunch. She loves protien and likes soy sasage, beans, ckick hot dogs, tofu.

We worry sometimes about her eating because she eats so much and loves her food. She can eat 4 apples a day!!!

I winder if anyone has these same concerns? She is always eating. In the car I have to have rasins, apples, rice cakes, or some kind of snack or she will throw a fit... she hates the car seat.

Anyway...... sorry for the ramble
#7 of 10 Old 05-21-2003, 09:38 AM

WOW!!!! DS was 21.5 a month ago at his 12 month visit!!! And I don't think I could EVER get him to eat that much.... Goes to show weight ain't the issue on how much they need....
#8 of 10 Old 05-21-2003, 09:59 PM

My 15 month old also eats like a truck driver I don't feed any kids once they can feed themselves. They're so proud of themselves eating I just cover them with a bib and then let the dogs clean up the floor when he's finished. My 15 month old will eat spoon food (yogurt, applesauce) with a spoon himself, granted not so neatly, but at least he gets it in his mouth.
#9 of 10 Old 05-21-2003, 11:07 PM

I have a 17 month old dd and if she ate that amount of food in one sitting I would be shocked. Sometimes she will only eat two little bits of meat or one cracker at mealtime. She does snack throught out the day and also nurses several times a day. But I often wonder if she is getting enough. But, I always tell myself IF she is truley hungry she WILL eat.
#10 of 10 Old 05-22-2003, 01:23 AM

I guess my 13.5 mo DS would fall under the truck driver category...although I didn't know truck drivers had a reputation for eating a lot!

He eats:
morning -
piece of toast w/tahini
wheat puffs
applesauce
some of whatever I have for breakfast (scrambled eggs, oatmeal usually)
afternoon-
granola
muffin
various fruits
crackers
whatever I have for lunch (sandwich, pasta, leftovers, whatever)
evening -
broccoli
rice
fruit
bread
whatever is on the dinner table

He's always eating. He's always nursing too. Whenever I sit down he runs over to nurse. And he's about 22 lbs, very skinny. I always wonder where all that food goes!

Are you fussy? Do you want a snack - *gobble, gobble, gobble* More?? *me, frantically searching for something suitable to feed him, DS- crying for more food* That's us several times a day!

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page