Magical movie - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 02-17-2007, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are planning a movie night for our playgroup of mostly two and three year olds. We wanted it to be a magical night and are looking for a magical non-scary movie.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!!!
#2 of 26 Old 02-17-2007, 04:45 AM

Neverending Story?

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#3 of 26 Old 02-17-2007, 05:19 AM

My Neighbor Totoro. It might be a little worrisome because the mother of the two main characters is in a sanitorium, and they worry about her. But if you tell the kids up front that the mother will be fine and that someone gets lost (but found, and not at all hurt), it should be OK.
#4 of 26 Old 02-17-2007, 06:13 AM

I can't think of any for little ones that young ... so many of the enchanted stories do contain scary parts.

What about considering doing a dress up party and have them pretend play as fairies, elves and such?

The movies that came to mind were Laybrinth, Willow and Ever After ... but none I'd recommend for kiddos that young. Neverending Story sounds good but it still has some parts I wouldn't want my little one that age seeing (but we don't do TV period, so I'm a bit biased there. ). What about an animated movie?

I really like the idea of making it magical by letting their imaginations and creativity take bloom instead of sitting them in front of the TV. Okay, there I go again with my no TV bias. Sorry.
#5 of 26 Old 02-17-2007, 06:20 AM

JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH!
It's wonderful!
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory or Willy Wonka (the original version with Gene Wilder)
FERN GULLY!
#6 of 26 Old 02-17-2007, 09:47 AM

Fern Gully may be better than the never ending story. Though I totally love that movie and can quote almost every line, the part with the wolf is very scarey and then when the earthquake happens and its very very sad when Artex dies in the swamp of saddness. I think that may be for older kids (5 or 6 or so).
#7 of 26 Old 02-17-2007, 10:25 AM

Yeah I was pretty much traumatized by the Neverending Story when I was 7 or so... dreaming about the wolf and about Artex dying. I second My Neighbour Totoro!
#8 of 26 Old 02-17-2007, 10:28 AM

I love the Neverending Story, but we haven't shown the horse drowning or wolf chase scenes to DD (2) yet.

She loves Fern Gully and the scary scenes there don't seem to bother her at all -- maybe because they're animated? She also likes Dark Crystal.

They aren't as much of a movie, persay, but The Magic Schoolbus and season 1 Fraggle episodes are out on DVD now and DD LOVES those.
#9 of 26 Old 02-17-2007, 10:51 AM

If you really want NON-SCARY, I'd stick with traditional Winnie the pooh, or maybe the Little Twins. Those are truly not scary. As in ther eis NOTHING scary that happens, except pooh does get stuck in the rabbit's hole. The Little Twins is a nice series of shorts, so you could watch one and then have a pillow fight break and then watch the next one, etc. We have the dvd's, but our library carries them, too. Have fun!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#10 of 26 Old 02-17-2007, 12:32 PM

Definitely My Neighbor Totoro!
#11 of 26 Old 02-17-2007, 04:24 PM

:
#12 of 26 Old 02-19-2007, 02:34 AM

What about Kristen's Fairy House? Does that seem like the right kind of "magical"? It's only 40 minutes long, which might be a plus, too.

There's also the Little Bear Movie out on DVD. I don't know that it would be considered magical, but Little Bear is a big pretender (lots of fantasy) and the show is pretty calm. Not sure about the movie itself. Some of the television episodes are available on DVD, grouped sort of thematically. You might find some of the fanciful episodes (flying to the moon, spending time with a mermaid, etc.) in that format. Granted, that is not a movie. And the episodes are short. But maybe an option to consider. The Halloween disc might have some possibilities. (I'd have to look at the individual listings to make specific recommendations....)
#13 of 26 Old 02-19-2007, 02:43 AM

There's also The Red Balloon (might not be the best option, though), and I'd recommend Raymond Briggs' The Bear. It's simple, (nearly) wordless, has an expressive musical score, and definitely is magical (involves a fantasy journey with a polar bear and the Big Dipper....) At 25 minutes long, it might be the right "size" for your audience. According to amazon, the VHS version is the "wordless narrative," and the DVD version has added narration. Go for the original wordless version!!

I haven't seen or read The Snowman, also by Raymond Briggs, but that might be magical, too.
#14 of 26 Old 02-19-2007, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I will look into all the options and see.
Thanks again!!!!!!
#15 of 26 Old 02-19-2007, 02:10 PM

Hey, revive this thread and let us know what you pick!
#16 of 26 Old 02-19-2007, 02:34 PM

Labrynth the one with David Bowie... I LOVED that movie as a kid
Neverending Story
Ferngully the last rainforest
#17 of 26 Old 02-19-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyC View Post
I haven't seen or read The Snowman, also by Raymond Briggs, but that might be magical, too.
This is really good. It's short-- 25 minutes or so --but great. Very magical.
#18 of 26 Old 02-19-2007, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
for that age -- there are books that have been adapted to the screen too. dh rented a series of Eric Carle stories turned video. they were really sweet.

we love "My Neighbr Totoro", too, but it's long...

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#19 of 26 Old 02-10-2008, 04:15 PM

I second the Snowman and Totoro, they are favortes here
#20 of 26 Old 02-10-2008, 04:56 PM

The Snowman is PERFECT! My boys love the music and they really think Snowmen are magic now.

My boys are almost 2 and 3.

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#21 of 26 Old 02-10-2008, 04:57 PM

I love Tortoro, but I do know a 3-year old who was terrified by it. My kids (4 and 3) love it.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#22 of 26 Old 02-10-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, my old thread revived!!!
We recently saw "Howl's moving castle" - great movie. The whole family enjoyed it a lot.
Also, "Kiki's delivery service".
They are from the same Japanese studio that made Totoro (which my dd didn't like at the time).

Thanks for bumping this thread up!!
(And, for the record, I don't even remember what we ended up watching a year ago...)
#23 of 26 Old 02-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Mary Poppins.

Pretty not-scary, good character movement, parents become attentive, magical, singing and dancing.

My toddler adores it.

It is one of the only movies I feel like she can watch without me skipping parts.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#24 of 26 Old 02-10-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post
Mary Poppins . . . .
. . . bored the hell out of our four-year-old. The only scene he even remotely seemed interested in was the rooftop dance number

I'd vote (if it weren't a year ago) for Pinocchio. A puppet becoming a real boy is pretty magical.
#25 of 26 Old 02-10-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow dancer View Post
Wow, my old thread revived!!!
We recently saw "Howl's moving castle" - great movie. The whole family enjoyed it a lot.
Also, "Kiki's delivery service".
They are from the same Japanese studio that made Totoro (which my dd didn't like at the time).

Thanks for bumping this thread up!!
(And, for the record, I don't even remember what we ended up watching a year ago...)
"studio ghibli" makes these films, i splurged and bought the 6 disc/ 12 movie set. we love totoro, laputa, kikis delivery service, spirited away, the cat returns, nausicaa, pom poko and howls moving castl. grave of fireflies is very good, but has some parts not appropriate for little ones. mononoke is good, but again has some violence, as does porco rosso. we didnt watch "my neighbors the yamadas", its a different type of cartoon to the others.
#26 of 26 Old 02-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
That's funny - my almost two year old is entranced with every single minute.

Guess it goes to show that every kiddo is different and you probably won't find a movie that will engage them all and scare none of them.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page