What to expect at 2 year well check-up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I will be taking my 28 month old son for a 2 year check-up and to get established with a new pediatrician. She came highly recommend from my local AP group about being very pro vaccines, extended breastfeeding, and co-sleeping.

I am just wanting to know what can I expect at the 2 year check-up? Do they give any shots at this time or prick the finger or draw blood? We have chosen to longer vaccinate at this point and I want to know how to respond to that particular issue if it does arise for my son and I during the check-up.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kristy
Mom to Rebecca (12) and David (28 months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy555 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am just wanting to know what can I expect at the 2 year check-up? Do they give any shots at this time or prick the finger or draw blood? We have chosen to longer vaccinate at this point and I want to know how to respond to that particular issue if it does arise for my son and I during the check-up.
They only give shots if you consent to them. Tell the ped you are not vaxing,and just drop it. It's not open for debate with the ped. And most will try to talk you into it,so be ready for that. I have no idea if kids are "supposed" to get any at a 2 yr visit anyhow,so if not prob. the only things they will do is height/weight,look in the ears,listen to the heart,all that good stuff.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully, it will all go smoothly like you said. This will be my first appointment that I would have to refuse vaxes since his 18 month check-up. I wish I had become educated much sooner than that about vaccines.

Thanks again,

Kristy
Mom to Rebecca (12) and David (28 months)
Old 02-20-2007, 06:45 PM

Generally, kids are usually all caught up with shots at this point so most don't get shots.

They do the usual height and weight measurements. Head to toe exam. Ask about development (stacking blocks, washing hands, feeds doll, vocab, etc) Most importantly, they are there to answer what questions you might have.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:46 PM

I don't know what state you're in, but I think all but West Virginia allow religious exemption for schools. I've found things go well if you use legal language wherever possible-- "we will not be vaccinating due to conflict with our religious beliefs."
Old 02-20-2007, 06:49 PM

Recommended vax's for 2 year olds can include:

Hep B
HiB
PCV
Flu
Hep A
MPSV4
(Some of these are indicated for certain high-risk groups).

You can check out the AAP Recommended Vaccine Schedule HERE.

You can decline any and all vaccines at any time. It is your child. Vaccines are not mandatory (not even for school, with an exemption) contrary to popular belief.

Head over to the Vaccinations forum for more information!

Other than that - they'll just check the normal things - reflexes, eyes, ears, throat, development, etc.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
Old 02-21-2007, 06:54 PM

We don't bring any babies to well visit check ups. but I can undersand wanting to get to know a new DR. We only see ours once a year, maybe.

User Tag List