restless legs in toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-25-2007, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know that I've ever heard of this as a childhood condition, but I think 27 mo dd has restless leg syndrome. Dh often complains that she kicks him in her sleep (for some reason she doesn't do it to me most of the time) and sometimes she cries before sleeping that there are monsters in the bed trying to tickle her feet.

Dh definitely has a history of restless legs and sleepwalking, so if it's inherited, we know where she got it! Any thoughts, ideas, tips?
#2 of 11 Old 02-25-2007, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it only at bed time? Sometimes if you walk on a floor recently cleaned with bleach products you can get a feeling like that, or maybe she has poor circulation and they are falling asleep? Pins and needles? Just some ideas as I am not familiar with the condition. Has your husband ever had anything help?
#3 of 11 Old 02-25-2007, 01:57 PM

I know when I'm not getting enough calcium and magnesium, my legs get twitchy when I'm trying to sleep. It makes me CRAZY! But taking a Cal-Mag supplement usually takes care of it. HTH!

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#4 of 11 Old 02-25-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
I know when I'm not getting enough calcium and magnesium, my legs get twitchy when I'm trying to sleep. It makes me CRAZY! But taking a Cal-Mag supplement usually takes care of it. HTH!
same for me and my boyfriend.
#5 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Hadn't thought about diet, she's still bfeeding but I'm pg so the supply is unpredictable. Maybe I should talk to the MD about supplementing for her.

What helped dh a lot was not working in a bar anymore, ie, not using tons of caffeine to hype himself up to work all night, then several drinks before bed so he could sleep. I'm pretty sure dd isn't doing that. Interestingly, he used to have leg cramps in his sleep sometimes, and I never thought that much about it until I had the same problem while pg, and controlled it with calcium. Then it occurred to me that all that use of diuretic substances may have depleted his calcium. By that time he wasn't having the problem anymore.
#6 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 03:33 AM

My ds who is 5 yrs. old gets this way, but it's when he's WAY overtired ( read: way too late!) and usually when we are in the car, and in his carseat his legs are not supported. I usually have to reach over and hold his legs or get him to cross them and hold them. I get this way too so I understand. I get this way in the car too. I'm wondering if we both might need some calcium and magnesium too? He is a picky eater and hates cow's milk ( he is weaned) and veggies so I question how much calcium he gets, and I avoid dairy but get plenty of veggies...hmmm.

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#7 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 04:28 AM

I used to get it when i was little, i'm told i called it "lakey eggs" meaning 'achey legs'. I still have it now at age 32. No sugestions for your little one though. Its always worse for me when i have my period and the only thing that seems to help is excercise, especially walking.
#8 of 11 Old 02-26-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella View Post
Hadn't thought about diet, she's still bfeeding but I'm pg so the supply is unpredictable. Maybe I should talk to the MD about supplementing for her.
You could also just try to up her intake of foods rich in calcium and magnesium. I think it's always better to get nutrients from food if possible, and they will be better absorbed and assimilated. I take the supplement because I have a very good diet, and still seem to need more . BTW, I also find cal/mag helps settle my racing mind and make it easier for me to fall asleep .

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#9 of 11 Old 02-27-2007, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker'smommy View Post
My ds who is 5 yrs. old gets this way, but it's when he's WAY overtired ( read: way too late!) and usually when we are in the car, and in his carseat his legs are not supported. I usually have to reach over and hold his legs or get him to cross them and hold them.
Interesting, we have been driving 1.5 hrs to prenatal visits and on the way home DD often gets fussy and asks me to hold her legs up.

OTOH, my clairvoyant friend is telling me those creatures are real, not really monsters, but sort of ill-mannered, and they are probably hanging around dd because they like her.

What's a mom to do?
#10 of 11 Old 02-27-2007, 04:51 PM

Is she pregnant? Just kidding. I had restless leg syndrome when I was preggo but it went away after delivery. Never heard about it in children, but it makes sense.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#11 of 11 Old 02-27-2007, 07:47 PM

funny I saw this post, I did some research on this topic a bit a week or so ago. My 2.5 yo seems to have this too, which doesn't surprise me b/c my brother had it growing up - I remember my Mom rubbing his legs every night before bed - thinking it was growing pains. But also everyone in my Mom's family has it to some degree & it is hereditary. 2 out of the 8 family members are on medication for it. I have been trying to ensure he has been getting more iron & that seems to be helping a lot.

http://www.rls.org/

here is a helpful pamphlet about kids & RLS b/c it is a bit different than in adults & often is called "growing pains"
http://www.rls.org/NetCommunity/Page...=289&srcid=229

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page