RF vs FF car seat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
Although I agree with what you are saying, I just have to jump in and say that this issue isn't this simple.....it sound like this is an only child and you are a SAHM, correct?
Nope! Not the case! DS is the only at the moment and having more kids won't change this. I am NOT a SAHM...and I have a job that is NOT lenient with me for being late, I can't call in saying I'll be 10, 20 etc minutes late. You work with the situation you are in...and you keep your priorities.

I think it is that simple.
#62 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 01:17 PM
SMR

nak
doesnt it matter the direction of the accident? isnt a rear collision with a rf seat the same as a front collision with a ff one?
It seems to me that it's all a matter of where your being slammed from.

That's the sad thing I find with MDC.. people come on here asking for advice and everyone gets this holier than thou attitude and start throwing the judgments around. One day it might just be the judgy 'perfect' parents left here because everyone else will get tired of it and leave. I'm sure all the folks who keep their kids rf until they are 5 make plenty of mistakes elsewhere in parenting. The point is.. we all do what we think is best for our kids! Just like our parents did... and somehow we all made it (even with their billions of mistakes!)!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#63 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR View Post
nak
doesnt it matter the direction of the accident? isnt a rear collision with a rf seat the same as a front collision with a ff one?
It seems to me that it's all a matter of where your being slammed from.
From the website I gave in my first post to this thread:
Quote:
According to Crashtest.Com, frontal and frontal offset crashes combine for about 72% of severe crashes. Side impacts are about 24%. Rear and rear offset crashes only account for about 4%
You'd be right that a rear collision and a rf seat is similar to a frontal colision and a ff seat. It's just that rear colisions are not nearly as common.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#64 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM
SMR

really? I've been in 3 accidents in my life and all of them were rear crashes.

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#65 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Your rear crash is almost always a frontal crash for someone else.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#66 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 01:58 PM
SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post

That is true.. but then shouldn't there be more rear crashes in those statistics? Or are there really that many people slamming into trees and not other cars?

#67 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Those statistics are for severe crashes - the ones likely to cause injury and death. Most rear-enders are in slow, rush hour traffic where the person is either going very slow or braking hard at impact. Those are not the ones to worry about. It's the guy running the red light at 40 mph that hits you from the side or the person that swerves out of their lane and you have to go off the road into a ditch, guardrail or tree that are more likely to cause injury.

For those whose kids are car screamers, I truely sympathize. Some ideas:

1. Put the seat more upright - 30 deg or less recline

2. Use the side position so they can see out better - safer to be rear-facing on the side than forward facing in the middle.

3. Snacks, toys, etc.

4. Music, DVD player

5. Try a different seat - some seats are just pathetic when it comes to padding, but padding is not everything either. There are some skimpy padded seats that are shaped well and comfortable and there are some thickly padded seats that are not shaped well. Swap with a friend for a week if possible to try it out.

6. Try to make it longer with the next one (if there is a next one) - being able to see his brother has kept DS2 much happier for much longer rear-facing.

Hope this helps someone!
#68 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Well, it's like the person who says, "I formula fed my first baby and breastfed my second baby, and the second one has a lot more colds!" Everyone has their own unique situation, but that doesn't mean formula fed babies are healthier as a rule. One person does not a trend in statistics make! You (and everyone else) is still much more statistically likely to get in a frontal crash.

Quote:
Or are there really that many people slamming into trees and not other cars?
You can also have a frontal collision that's head on for both cars. It's not just running into stationary, non-automotive objects. And a 2-car frontal collision will be more severe because if two cars are moving towards each other, then you add their speeds together. So two cars that are each going 25 mph and crash head-on equal a 50 mph crash. If one car is stopped and hit from behind by another going 25 mph, then that's a 25 mph crash.

So of course there are rear crashes, and I'm sure some of them are severe. It's just that the odds favor frontal crashes, and they tend to be more severe. It all comes down to risk.

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#69 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_e View Post
T
For those whose kids are car screamers, I truely sympathize. Some ideas:

1. Put the seat more upright - 30 deg or less recline

2. Use the side position so they can see out better - safer to be rear-facing on the side than forward facing in the middle.

3. Snacks, toys, etc.

4. Music, DVD player

5. Try a different seat - some seats are just pathetic when it comes to padding, but padding is not everything either. There are some skimpy padded seats that are shaped well and comfortable and there are some thickly padded seats that are not shaped well. Swap with a friend for a week if possible to try it out.

6. Try to make it longer with the next one (if there is a next one) - being able to see his brother has kept DS2 much happier for much longer rear-facing.

Hope this helps someone!
Thank-you! I was one of the people with a car screamer. He is now 26 months though and we have recently got him a new carseat which doesn't go rearfacing. However I think he is pretty safe in it now. I wish I had tried some of those things when he was younger - he might have liked the DVD player, which was something we didn't try! For a next child, I would try to keep him rearfacing much longer.

I think it's hard for people to understand though what driving with a child who screams (like he is dying) the whole time is like. I used to have my eyes on the road in front 50% of the time and looking behind to check ds wasn't choking to death the other 50% of the time - most definatley NOT a safe way to drive!
#70 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post

You'd be right that a rear collision and a rf seat is similar to a frontal colision and a ff seat.
This is not true. The bodies movement is totally different when orientated rear facing versus forward facing no matter where the vehicle is struck. RF versus FF are 2 totally different animals.

DC
#71 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
And a 2-car frontal collision will be more severe because if two cars are moving towards each other, then you add their speeds together. So two cars that are each going 25 mph and crash head-on equal a 50 mph crash. If one car is stopped and hit from behind by another going 25 mph, then that's a 25 mph crash.
Not true. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...nsumer+reports
This thread gives some great info with respect to crash dynamics. It isn't all about speed.

DC
#72 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Indeed.
#73 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_e View Post
Those statistics are for severe crashes - the ones likely to cause injury and death. Most rear-enders are in slow, rush hour traffic where the person is either going very slow or braking hard at impact. Those are not the ones to worry about. It's the guy running the red light at 40 mph that hits you from the side or the person that swerves out of their lane and you have to go off the road into a ditch, guardrail or tree that are more likely to cause injury.
Those stats are for reported crashes, severe or not. About 97% of crashes happen 30mph and under.

#74 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Another idea on how to contend with screamer! I found that both of my kids were waaaaaaay happier once I moved them out of their infant carseat and into a RF convertible. I don't know if they just liked sitting up more, or the infant seat wasn't comfortable, but it made a huge difference.

If you've got a screamer, it's at least worth trying a different seat (borrow one for a day or two!).

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#75 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Those stats are for reported crashes, severe or not. About 97% of crashes happen 30mph and under.
I was going by what is said on the webpage at Car-safety.org, which was that they were for severe crashes.
#76 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 PM

im so glad htis was started. my dd (18 months)is still RF and i am wanting to keep her that way as long as possible bu then a nurse told me that is shes rearfacing in a crash her head will smakc the back of the seat .... im thinking shes ay off but just remind me that she is please!! dd is in a britax marathon.

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#77 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 04:01 PM

i have to add to that my dr was making it sound like im the worst mother ever for not turning her around : saying i NEED to and HAVE to.. WTH?!

#78 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post
im so glad htis was started. my dd (18 months)is still RF and i am wanting to keep her that way as long as possible bu then a nurse told me that is shes rearfacing in a crash her head will smakc the back of the seat .... im thinking shes ay off but just remind me that she is please!! dd is in a britax marathon.
Well, if she's in a marathon, tether it and then it won't move

-Angela
#79 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 04:08 PM

how do i tether it?

#80 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 04:11 PM

How old is it? My boulevard (and wizard before) has a little pocket behind the top of the back where there is a strap. The manual has tethering instructions, you just loop the piece around something fixed in front of it and tighten down the strap.

-Angela
#81 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Not even trying to get in the middle of this, but I just wanted to mention some advice I heard in a safe parenting class this weekend. Never give a snack or anything that could pose a choking hazard to a child who is rear facing. If the child gets choked -I mean truly choked as in can't gasp for air- the parent wouldn't know.

It is something to keep in mind.

I have no dog in this fight. Just shareing info.
#82 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
How old is it? My boulevard (and wizard before) has a little pocket behind the top of the back where there is a strap. The manual has tethering instructions, you just loop the piece around something fixed in front of it and tighten down the strap.

-Angela
Just make sure you attach it to something ... well, "load-bearing" is the only word that comes to mind (my mechanical engineer's mind has been replaced by a sleep-deprived mother's mind . For example, we have ours tethered to the front seat anchor (i.e., where the front seat is attached to the bottom of the car). You know this is a safe place, because it's obviously designed so the seat won't come detached during an accident (of course, it always could depending on how bad the accident was and how bent up the car got, but you know what I mean). The point is, you don't want to tether it to a cup holder or something like that .

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#83 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 06:27 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html

Tethering.

#84 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 PM

we just got it a couple months ago. i dont see anythung in my car to attach it to

#85 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanana View Post
Just make sure you attach it to something ... well, "load-bearing" is the only word that comes to mind (my mechanical engineer's mind has been replaced by a sleep-deprived mother's mind . For example, we have ours tethered to the front seat anchor (i.e., where the front seat is attached to the bottom of the car). You know this is a safe place, because it's obviously designed so the seat won't come detached during an accident (of course, it always could depending on how bad the accident was and how bent up the car got, but you know what I mean). The point is, you don't want to tether it to a cup holder or something like that .
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe i can tether it then thanks!!!!but..its in the middle of the bac seat so no seat in front of it to tether it to....*insert rude scratchy guy*

#86 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 06:59 PM

It doesn't have to be perfectly straight in front. Crawl around and see if you can't attach to the bottom of one of the front seats (where they go into the floor)

good luck!

-Angela
#87 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just wanted to add, I've been able to keep dd rear-facing (nearly 14 months, about 23 pounds) by using one of the portable DVD players. It's the kind that straps to the head rest (she is rear facing, middle. The DVD screen is strapped to the front of the headrest just to the right of her. I have a pull down shade thingy to keep the glare off. Also, it is VERY attached to the headrest. I have used the straps it came with, plus other straps...am considering duct tape...). She really enjoys watching DVDs of herself and other family members. DVDs of daddy singing are a HUGE hit.
#88 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
Just wanted to add, I've been able to keep dd rear-facing (nearly 14 months, about 23 pounds) by using one of the portable DVD players. It's the kind that straps to the head rest (she is rear facing, middle. The DVD screen is strapped to the front of the headrest just to the right of her. I have a pull down shade thingy to keep the glare off. Also, it is VERY attached to the headrest. I have used the straps it came with, plus other straps...am considering duct tape...). She really enjoys watching DVDs of herself and other family members. DVDs of daddy singing are a HUGE hit.
Duct tape fixes EVERYTHING maybe I should have taken a nap when the baby did

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#89 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
We are a TV free house so that wouldn't work for us personally but dd is 18 months and i sing to her on car rides and shes happy plus we have a mirror right in the spot yo have your tv so i can see her an she can see me

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
It doesn't have to be perfectly straight in front. Crawl around and see if you can't attach to the bottom of one of the front seats (where they go into the floor)

good luck!

-Angela
Thanks angela!!

#90 of 109 Old 03-01-2007, 08:16 PM

had a bag of about 30!! toys in the car and passed one at a time back. and wore earplugs. it was trully awful until he turned about 10 month and we got a new carseat(sat higher and was cushier)-then it was just plain awful, then managably awful and now at 13months he is excited to go bye-bye and on occasion he falls asleep in the carseat!!! I also didn't leave the house for weeks at a time. Coupled with sleep deprivation, ear piercing non-stop screaming had me flat nuts and not safe to drive.
hang in there

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page