Does your three year old scream? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My three year old daughter screams sometimes. Whether it is to get my attention or cyring screaming or even just laughing having fun screaming. Does yours? Is it good manners or even good for kids to scream? My friend has two boys and they dont scream at all. I wonder if I am to blame though, because I have a hearing loss and so I can't hear sometimes if she is screaming, only by the look on her face. And she is learning now that when she screams for me, I can't hear her and that she has to come to me. But I feel shunned by other moms with my daughter screaming whether it be a happy scream or not. Any thoughts?
#2 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 AM

My toddler won't be 3 until May, but yes he SCREAMS. He's just loud, even when he's happy. My older two kids are rather loud too. My neighbor was just commenting the other day on how when my oldest was 2, she could scream so loud she could hear her in her house.

Some kids are loud, some aren't. I remember one time my nephew (who was maybe 3-4) fell down and bonked his head and was crying and it was so quiet compared to what I was used to. If my 2 yo bonks his head, everyone within about a block radius knows about it.

The screaming won't last forever. You can try to talking to your DD about inside and outside voices, etc. and at some point it will sink in.
#3 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 12:06 AM

My kids both scream. My little one only does happy screams, but my older dd (almost 4) still screams for all the reasons you mentioned.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#4 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 12:18 AM

I have a screamer too. I tell her not to scream in the house and she tells me "I'm not screaming, I'm singing!" Maybe your DC is just singing too?
#5 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 12:18 AM

My dd will be 3 in March and screams ALL the time. And they are angry screams, very very angry screams. She's been doing this since she was about 18 months old. She is very verbal too, so it's not for a lack of words. It's just how she deals with any kind of frustration. It can very VERY hard to deal with, and I definitely understand about being shunned by it. She shocks people with her outbursts but I try not to be overly apologetic about it, though I do offer a quick, "Sorry about that." My family doesn't react well to it at all. There are certain things that will instigate it like trying to talk to her right when she wakes up from a nap (and is obviously very upset) or "trapping" her in a playful way when she doesn't want it. They still insist on doing these things because she just "shouldn't be screaming like that". : I do try to teach her many other ways to deal with her anger and sometimes she will say, "I'm so angry right now!" or "I'm frustrated". It hasn't stopped the screaming, but it's a long process.
#6 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 AM

My 3 yr old dd is a screamer primarily because she was a pretty late talker. She refused to use baby signs and she didn't shake her head yes/no until she was over 2 yrs old. The only way she communicated was through crying/screaming. It was and still is very frustrating. She can talk up a storm now, but after a nap or when she is frustrated or upset, she can not figure out how to use words to communicate. I think it's just so engrained for her at this point. She is a happy screamer too though.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#7 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpienkos View Post
My three year old daughter screams sometimes. Whether it is to get my attention or cyring screaming or even just laughing having fun screaming. Does yours? Is it good manners or even good for kids to scream? My friend has two boys and they dont scream at all. I wonder if I am to blame though, because I have a hearing loss and so I can't hear sometimes if she is screaming, only by the look on her face. And she is learning now that when she screams for me, I can't hear her and that she has to come to me. But I feel shunned by other moms with my daughter screaming whether it be a happy scream or not. Any thoughts?

yes my ds screams a lot especially when he doesn't get his own way, he has a very high pitched i'm surprised he hasn't broke windows or made all dogs within a 1mile radius go mad

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#8 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 AM

Uh, yeah. Blood curdling, ear ringing screams. Sometimes just for fun. And now the 22 month old is joining in. I may be deaf by 32. :
#9 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 11:59 AM

My daughter is 3.5 and yes she screams. Its a fairly new thing for her, but boy... is it difficult to deal with. She screams when she's mad or frusterated mostly.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#10 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 08:58 PM

Both of my three year olds scream. However, I do wonder if one wouldn't do it as much if his brother wasn't so keen on it. I think it is normal, some kids do it and others probably don't like it so much (personality), and some kids are louder than others. Though both my boys do it-one is considerably louder and more ear piercing than the other. He's got lungs!

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#11 of 11 Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabith View Post
Uh, yeah. Blood curdling, ear ringing screams. Sometimes just for fun. And now the 22 month old is joining in. I may be deaf by 32. :
We must live in the same house!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page