Blimey, Nov 05 Mamas - It's March! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought Rowan a cute 1-pc swimsuit last year that was way too big on her so I figure I'm good on the swimming attire until she's at least 2. I hope. It's blue with a frilly thing on the bottom and strawberries, if that helps

I got 4 new books in the mail yesterday from Amazon. I'm all excited about them but I never get time to read... argh! I got Unconditional Parenting, Wild Fermentation, and Plant Foods of Coastal First Nations (which I am going to use to figure out what plants around here we can safely forage and eat.) I also got a crappy fantasy novel (latest Robert Jordan) but I figure I might get to it by next winter IF I'm lucky .

The first recipe in Wild Fermentation is for mead. I think I could certainly do with some of that right now.

And re: the bra thing - I have mondo boobs on a small frame - most "big" bras don't fit me because the straps can't go short enough or the bottom band is too wide. I found some Bravado "Supreme" - I think that's what they're called (these ones) and they work ok, although they don't exactly give me a wonderful sillhouette, they're pretty much saying "yeah, these boobs are kinda droopy, but look I can make them stick out a bit more!". I did put on one of my old underwires when I went out with people from work a few weeks ago and I felt FABULOUS but I'm scared to wear underwires all day because of the mastitis thing. I'm definitely looking forward to wearing decent bras again.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2007, 06:29 PM

Hi everybody!!! Wedding is in less than 4 weeks and life is hectic!

I noticed a swimsuit question...we got ours from coolibar.com

Love it!!

hope all is well...

What about the address database...did i miss something?!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, what do we do for the address thing again, Helen? Log into a google account?

Spughy, that is hilarious about the bra thing. I've been wearing underwires since Brynn was about 6 months old, I think, and I've never had mastitis. I still have some crappy nursing bras and some sports bras that I wear, but for the most part I wear the full-structure mondo bras, which do help keep things under control and don't give me uniboob!

So this is interesting. Twice in the past 3 nights, Brynn has gone to bed before 9:00pm, and both of those nights she's slept the longest ever; when she went to bed at around 8:30, she slept till about 11:45, and then when she went to bed at 8:15 last night, she slept til 12:15. FOUR HOURS!! So I was telling a friend of mine about it today, and she said she's reading this book about baby sleep and it said that this mom in the book had a 19-month old who slept like Brynn (waking every hour to two hours) and his usual bedtime was like 9:00 or something (same as Brynn) and that she heard that an earlier bedtime could help, but she didn't believe it. So one night she put him to bed really early, like 6:30 or 7:00, and he slept ALL NIGHT, til like 8:00am, without waking. Totally crazy. Anyway, I don't have those kinds of high hopes, but I do think it's interesting that without even really trying, Brynn has shown a pattern of sleeping longer when she goes to bed early. Aaaaaaanyway, so we decided to try to put her down around 7:00 tonight, which is the time that she always wants to go up and put her jammies on, but tonight we didn't do bedtime stories or running around naked or anything. She just got her jammies on, nursed for a while, and then I put her into bed while she was still awake. It took about 10 minutes, but she didn't cry, and she passed out around 7:30. So we'll see what happens. Even if she doesn't sleep all night, it sure is nice to have the extra time in the evening with DH, or to watch America's Next Top Model on Tivo.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 PM

I have nothing to say on infant/toddler sleep. We have broken all the rules of both sleep experts and good common sense. Ella goes to bed/sleep at the earliest around ten, the latest around midnight. She will wake up at about 2 or so sometimes and cry if I'm not there, but seems to otherwise usually sleep through. She wakes up at about 5 am to nurse, then rolls back over and goes to sleep. The last hour or two are back to back nursing and switching and sleeping and nursing some more. Then we wake up for real, usually around 10-12 hours after her initially falling asleep, get up and move into breakfast time. It's a little silly, but it works okay for us for the most part. If I put her to sleep earlier (like between 6 and 9) that ends up constituting a nap, and then she's up bouncing around for hours and hours.

Oh, as far as the bras, they're just the regular bravado ones, not the plus or supreme or anything else. Just the standard one.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:57 PM

Wow, this is the most behind I've ever been on our thread! Just subbing now. I usually keep up on the reading, but lately have just been unable to do it all! I started work one day a week last month, so that's taking up more of my time. Also trying to be more organized around the house- decluttering.

Best wishes to all! I've missed you! I am right now coming down with a cold, now that both boys are finally well after weeks of being sick!
Old 03-09-2007, 09:31 AM

kaspirant, I'm so sorry I haven't emailed you yet. You haven't missed anything, I've just been a bit crap.
Amy, pm me your proper email address and I'll send you an invitation to log into the spreadsheet.
Spughy, mead is always good So is honeybeer...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:22 PM

nak...which i haven't done for a while. there should be a smilie for nak wsith toddler trying to type with her toes.

swimsuits- we have a girlie frilly bum one-piece, plus a two piece uv suit thingie from baby banz. i need a new swim diaper, though...

we have an early bedtime and still not great sleep but neela wakes up at around six or six-thirty no matter when she goes to bed, so we try to keep bedtime around seven just to get enough hours of sleep

i hope the wedding prep goes well, kaspirant

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 03-09-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
I have nothing to say on infant/toddler sleep. We have broken all the rules of both sleep experts and good common sense. Ella goes to bed/sleep at the earliest around ten, the latest around midnight. She will wake up at about 2 or so sometimes and cry if I'm not there, but seems to otherwise usually sleep through. She wakes up at about 5 am to nurse, then rolls back over and goes to sleep. The last hour or two are back to back nursing and switching and sleeping and nursing some more. Then we wake up for real, usually around 10-12 hours after her initially falling asleep, get up and move into breakfast time. It's a little silly, but it works okay for us for the most part. If I put her to sleep earlier (like between 6 and 9) that ends up constituting a nap, and then she's up bouncing around for hours and hours.
Hey, this is pretty much us, too! Ez usually falls asleep a little earlier though, sometime between 9pm-10:30pm. I used to worry about her not having a bed time and or going to bed so late. I am okay with it now though. Plus, i like to sleep in so it's awesome that she doesn't fully wake up until 8-9:30am.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Baby Suriya is a month old today.
Yesterday Winter said book.
I am SO tired. That's all.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Baby Suriya is a month old today.
Yesterday Winter said book.
I am SO tired. That's all.

That is an amazing summary...made me smile.

I hope you have a good day!!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:40 PM

Rowan typically goes to bed around 8 or 8:30 (earlier if possible, but it's generally US who can't get our act together for that) and sleeps until just before 7 am. She's been pushing that earlier at times, which is OK by me because it means I can get into work earlier which means I can leave earlier!

The time change is this weekend though - which I am sort of dreading... I don't remember how she reacted to the last one...

DiD - sorry you are pooped, mama .

Kaspirant - wedding stuff! : And a toddler! yikes! Good luck.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 03-09-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, she fell asleep at 7:30, but slept the usual 2.5 hours for the rest of the night, and even woke up thinking it was morning around 3:30! So I'm definitely not going to push it to be that early again! I do think I will try to keep around 8:00 if possible, just because *I* am so exhausted by then myself!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 PM

I hear you guys on the sleep woes...
After several fantastic sleep nights (the best of which was her sleeping from 9:30 pm to 4:00am!!!!!) she woke every 2 hours last night.
And today has been crazy busy with us running all around the world.
And this weekend Joshua is in massage school all weekend again....

:

I'm tired just thinking about it.

But he did bring me flowers today. That made me cry.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmomma View Post

But he did bring me flowers today. That made me cry.

AWWWWW!!! Sniff.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:16 AM

Yes, it was especially sweet, because he and I missed each other. I didn't get home until after he had left for school. And Isa was asleep, so I basically had the moment "to myself" and read the card and got all misty. : I needed that...
Old 03-10-2007, 12:55 AM

Hey mamas! Whew...I am SO behind. I have been struggling with a VERY sick little guy this week. Noah spent 12 hours throwing up on Tuesday...all day pretty much every 30-45 minutes. Then Wednesday and Thursday he had diarrhea. He puked once last night and once this morning. Then he's had hellacious diarrhea all day today. I'm struggling SO hard to keep fluids in him. He won't eat, won't take a lot of water, won't take Pedialyte...he has been nursing a lot, though. He's acting mostly fine but you can tell he doesn't feel 100%. Much better than Tuesday when he was just lying in my arms all day sleeping and puking. Any time he tries to have anything solid it just comes right back out. He did try to eat a teeny bit of pizza crust earlier with NOTHING on it...thirty minutes later he filled three diapers back to back. I feel so bad for him...the minute he does it he comes whining to me signing potty. Then he cries because he doesn't want his bum wiped for the hundredth time in an hour. ARRRRRRRGH. I hate this. I could seriously go the rest of my life without seeing him this miserable again. I know, I know...it's just the beginning, eh?

*BARCELONA...I JUST remembered I haven't e-mailed you back yet! : I'm so sorry, mama, I will catch up with you very soon!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 02:27 AM

SoulJourney - is it really gross yellowish runny poop with a very sour rank smell? Because it sure sounds like rotovirus. That is pure hell to live through.

My parents are visiting, so I don't have much time. Its nice to have them with us for the weekend! The kids are LOVING grandma and grandpa!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:29 AM

QoC: YES! It is THE most HORRIBLE smelling, yellow, runny poop ever. It makes me want to vomit every time I change his diaper and I have a really strong stomach. Makes total sense as to why he's hanging on to this for so long b/c doesn't rotavirus last up to like 9 days??? Ugh. Yesterday was day four.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:23 PM

It generally lasts 3-8 days. However, it is contagious for 10 days from the onset of symptoms and members of a family can re-infect each other. Wash the sheets, spray lysol everywhere, scrub the tubs and toilets, try to wash hands as much as possible. Disinfect anywhere that he's pooped, especially. Its transmitted by fecal-oral contamination, which happens easily since there's poop all over the freaking place for a week when a kid has rotovirus. Killy had it when Ellie was about 2.5 months old and she didn't get it at all (usually exclusively breastfed babies don't get it) but Killy had it for about 5-6 days. He had diarrhea every hour or two all day every days. It was horrific. We were going through literally 15 diapers a day. The first time a child has it is the worst, then its generally not as bad subsequent times, but a full immunity is never really reached. I've had some adult friends who caught it from their toddlers and were violently ill, but I guess DH and I must have had it a few times as kids because we both had very mild cases when Killy had it.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:37 PM

Yeah, my DAD actually got it from Noah! So far, so good for me. I have actually been using sposies this week because I just couldn't keep up on diapers nor did I have the slightest desire to. It's really funny because even though Noah has a pretty healthy sized backside it looks pretty tiny in sposies!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we are at the end of our road with this. He hasn't had any poopy diapers yet today. Of course it's only 10:30am, but that's a start.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:23 PM

michelle

have you tried homeopathics for noah?
it really helps my kids when they have sicknesses like that..

ngaio had a stomach flu or something where she puked everything up for days and i finally sent someone to get some homeopathic ipicac and as soon as she had a dose the throwing up stopped...she did again about 6 hours later, another dose and she was fine.

there is good ones for diarrhea..i cant think of the name though. :

its scary when they are so sick... i hate the feeling of being so unable to help them..and that they cant really understand yet why they feel so horrble.

ngaio cried most of last night.. she was restless and she kept saying "body.owwsh" over and over. she is teething but she also has had like 4 falls in the last 3 days.
she climbs on everything and i just cant stop her. she fell on her head off the kids table (she was standing on it trying to get something ff the shelf..)and though she was running around after a quick nurse i cant help feel like this totally horrible mother who lets her baby get head injuries all the time..

*sigh*

i need a padded house.. for mysake and my kids.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 03-10-2007, 03:26 PM

its got the first rough draft of my tattoo@!

the leaves are all going to look more like the left hand one, but other than that its pretty similar to what it will look like...

im getting it tomorow!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 03-10-2007, 07:00 PM

qof c, I remember when Killy had rotovirus- it was the first time I'd heard of it (we either don't have it over here or call it something different.) It sounds horrible- I hope Noah gets better soon, Michelle, and that you don't get it.
Fern, how excited???? Have fun...
Our weekend is being spent decluttering Skye's room. It looks really cool, and absolutely huge- pictures on Monday.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
On a breast-related but not breastfeeding-related note, I bought my first bra since Neela was a few weeks old today. I put on a sexy shirt a few weeks ago and was totally unimpressed with how my bra fit and breasts looked, so I just bought a totally impractical but very sexy bra. And it makes my breasts look hot :
i just bought my first pretty nursing bra. it's a pink bravado one i got from an mdc mama - i love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
kaspirant, I'm so sorry I haven't emailed you yet. You haven't missed anything, I've just been a bit crap.
Amy, pm me your proper email address and I'll send you an invitation to log into the spreadsheet.

hmmm. is this what we were supposed to do? somehow i missed it! off to send you a pm.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Old 03-11-2007, 01:30 AM

: : : :

neither my mom nor my dad is coming to my wedding...

My mom responded "well none of you girls were at my wedding" She's referring to an october wedding to my stepdad that took place while I was in college...and broke. We even offered to pay for her plane ticket and her hotel...more f*cked up excuses...

but that's not the worst of it.

my dad is super conservative and while I love and respect him...this just takes the cake.

His reply "Coming out to CA to see you two get married would be the same as taking a trip to watch someone murder someone else" He wasn't joking...he is convinced that since I am re-marrying I may as well be committing murder...

My sisters are broke...neither of them can afford to come...

: just doesn't cut it... I need a :heartwrechingsob: smilie right now.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:21 PM

Awww, Kaspirant... mama! I'm so sorry! and more
Old 03-11-2007, 02:11 PM

kaspirant, want me to go and see your dad? I have a few super-conservative ways of putting things.... fwiw, my uncle and aunt disagreed with my divorce, my decision to live with Steve (and my first husband) outside of marriage, and the whole convulated mess that is my family. They're still incredibly proud of me, because they see that I'm happy, and they know how rare true happiness is nowadays. I can kind of see your mum's pov, though I think she's being a bit petty. I really hope she changes her mind.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Kaspirant:

im so sorry..
why are people so uncaring? it makes me so sad. but i think that in the bigger picture, had they decided to come with all of their negative thoughts and energy, maybe it would have been sad anyways..you deserve only the most wonderful day and greatest celebration..dont let anyone ruin it for you.

Quote:

Old 03-11-2007, 11:47 PM

lots of hugs to you, kaspirant. family can be so hard sometimes...

and lots of hugs to you, SoulJourney and to Noah too! I hope he's feeling better.

i am so tired, i'm about to collapse. And then there's a whole new week a comin'! must...sleep...must...rest....ugh....zzzzzzzzzz... .
Old 03-12-2007, 01:14 AM

Oh, kaspirant - I"m sorry . That's not very nice of your family at all. I hope your DH-to-be's family is a little more welcoming of you.

I'm with you, spiritmomma - soooo tired! Rowan is getting a canine tooth in now and it's making her a real cranky-pants today. Last night she was up a LOT - and she was doing so well before too! She wouldn't even go back to sleep for DH like she normally does. Tonight we're going to be firm about it - no boobies until after 2 am, because mummy reeeeallly needs to sleep. And mummy will be going to be shortly.

If I were genetically engineering babies I'd make one that didn't get teeth. Or had them all at birth. Or something. Teething sucks.

User Tag List