Blimey, Nov 05 Mamas - It's March! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 269 Old 03-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the explanation, Helen. It's still wacky, but less surrealistically so now. Pastafarian indeed. People are so strange.

Gunter - I SO know the pain of the full bladder and the almost-asleep child. And the husband who mostly gets it but just not quite. In our house it's the bringing a load of wood in and dropping it in front of the fireplace so it makes a big noise and wakes the baby up. Or letting the dog come in wearing her collar and having her shake right next to the baby's head.

Last night Rowan slept pretty well. But, in the bed with me. I could not get her to settle in her crib. So I am a zombie today. Also I was on my computer last night helping someone with their major-important-project-that-must-be-done-tomorrow so I figure I can justify taking the afternoon off 'sick'. The functioning part of my brain has already checked out for the day and is in a bar somewhere, sleeping in a puddle of beer. The remaining part is sufficient for getting coffee and logging on to MDC but I think that's as far as it's going to go.

Oh yeah and my mom is visiting so DH is all cranky and sullen so home life is SOOOO much fun right now. I wish he wouldn't do that, but objectively I do have to admit that she can be a little annoying. However, she doesn't live here, I only get to see her a couple times a year, and I have to interact with HIS mother who also has her moments ALL THE TIME so he can damn well suck it up.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#242 of 269 Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 PM

Spughy.
Just a thought- when we visit my mum, she tends to end up with one (or more) small people tucked up in bed with her. You could maybe kill two birds with one stone?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#243 of 269 Old 03-29-2007, 02:52 PM

It's a good thought, Helen, but Rowan isn't too comfortable around my mom just yet because she sees her so rarely. If she won't sleep for DH, she DEFINITELY won't sleep for my mom.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#244 of 269 Old 03-29-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
Or letting the dog come in wearing her collar and having her shake right next to the baby's head.
yep, that happens at our house, too! arghhh! our dog doens't even wear a collar on a regular basis anymore but when he does and shakes near the sleeping babe, i have to remind myself out loud that i am both a pacifist and a vegetarian. otherwise, we could be having dog for dinner.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#245 of 269 Old 03-29-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
We had a really rough night tonight. It is so hard when DH is gone; I never get a break. I think Brynn is officially entering the Trying Tumultuous Twos.

:

keagan definately has days like this too. it is hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
LLL Leaders are NOT supposed to identify themselves online in communities where they might be in a position where they would ever ask for advice regarding breastfeeding. Also, some groups are REALLY uptight about Leader Applicants revealing that they're in the application process, its supposed to be hush-hush until you're accredited.
doesn't make sense to me. of course i have never been to a meeting or anything but isn't the purpose of LLL somewhere along the lines of helping women learn what they need to know to feed their babes as nature intended? if this is the case how could giving info be a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
According to the school nurse, all I have to do is put a piece of pasta in a jar and Isaac will magically behave for me. I think that's funny, myself, but I couldn't find the words to describe non-coercive parenting without hitting her over the head with a dangerous toy snake and calling her a simplistic idiot.
i read the update and still don't get it. apparently i would not make a good pastafarian

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#246 of 269 Old 03-29-2007, 07:44 PM

Susanna - I PMed you to explain more in depth.

UGH! We just had a horrible trip to the grocery store. And, I'm a dirty coercive parent because I did not buy Killy a toy after he scratched the hell out of Ellie's face while we shopped. So, there was a 30 minute tantrum. But, I'm surely not rewarding nasty behavior by buying toys 5 minutes after it happens.

Off to go play in the yard with the kids so we can all cool off.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#247 of 269 Old 03-29-2007, 10:23 PM

Q of C, sounds tough! Hope that the playing in the yard was fun anyway!

Spughy, I hope that your DD starts sleeping better and that you can get some rest! It's so embarassing when you fall asleep at work and start drooling on your desk!

Things here are crazy. The highlight--we had a plumber here to fix something that was leaking to outside the house and he had to go up into the attic. This is not the type of attic that you store stuff, etc., just where the electrical and plumbing stuff is. I am standing there in my house and I hear this "AAAAAAUGH!" and a cracking noise and I turn around in time to see my plumber's foot and leg coming through the ceiling of our family room accompanied by ton of breaking sheetrock and a huge mushroom cloud of insulation being dumped on the ground. The plumber was okay, he caught himself on a beam and did not actually fall onto my floor. So then tomorrow we're having someone come to finish the painting the kitchen and laundry room and putting them back together and then painting the hallway, the same plumbing company coming to put in a new water heater, and a sheet rock guy from a construction company coming to repair the ceiling. : We're going to L'ville to look for a house on the 17th of April. Hope that we get a quick and good offer before then on this house!
#248 of 269 Old 03-30-2007, 12:57 AM

: following along with the pasta saga....

Kavita! I hope your house repairs go more smoothly from here on.

We drove to the coast today and Neela played naked in tidal pools. And dipped her feet in the ocean. It was terrific, but we're totally entrenched in the napping at home routine. So despite my amazing timing for napping in the car on the way there, she stayed awake all day until the ride home, and is now awake and not even close to sleepy. I love day trips, but they totally mess up any routine we have.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#249 of 269 Old 03-30-2007, 01:11 AM

OMG, Kavita - I would just die! Our house is (hopefully!) going on the market next week, but our real estate agent was adamant that we were not to spend any money fixing the house up, as the market is slow (at least in this area) and we're not likely to re-coup expenses. I was thrilled to hear that actually - it saved a lot of stress from situations like you're describing! And, its probably saved me from killing DH who would LOVE an excuse to spend several thousand dollars doing home improvement projects on a house we're only going to live in for a couple more months. :

Well, the evening got better, mostly because I had a meeting to go to without the kiddos. We played in the yard, had a nice dinner, and then I went to my meeting, and got home just in time to nurse Ellie down. Ahhhhh... I'm feeling much better now.

#250 of 269 Old 03-30-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Things are still really hard here. DH and I are at the point where we need to have a serious parenting strategy session but he's been so busy with working on getting a job, not to mention all the damn traveling, that I feel we haven't had a moment in the past week to really talk. Last night was AWFUL though.

Kavita, that's crazy about your house!!! How stressful (although comedic in the retelling).

Anyway, here is the short list of places where DH is having 2nd and 3rd interviews:

St. Louis this past Tuesday (Kaspirant!!)
San Jose this coming Monday
Louisville next Thursday (Kavita!)
Atlanta next Friday or the following Monday

And if none of those work out, we are just going to go with Plan B and move in with my parents in Oregon until further notice! So I feel good. At least I have a general sense that we're not moving somewhere crazy; I feel good about all of our options for varied reasons. Possibly by the end of next week, by definitely by two weeks from now, we will know where we're moving!!! SO EXCITING!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#251 of 269 Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Q of C - you're not a dirty coercive parent . I'm all over unconditional parenting but buying a kid a toy after he did something like that doesn't seem right to me. Alfie Kohn would have a hard time justifying that one, I think!

Amy - . I share your nighttime misery. And we are a month or two behind you on the moving uncertainty, I think. You're lucky the uncertainty will be ending soon. Ours is just beginning - DH's thesis will be "officially" submitted in the next few days I think and then his job hunt begins. That's not likely to be stressful, not at all. :

Kavita - OMG on the plumbers falling through your roof!!!! DH did that to our downstairs neighbour when he was working on the deck a couple years ago. Scared the poop out of her. (well not literally.)

Last night was no better. Hylands teething tablets either don't work for us or it's not actually teething that's causing her restless sleep. I did switch places with DH at about 4 last night and slept on the couch and Rowan did sleep ok with him in the bed so I think I'll do that earlier on tonight.

#252 of 269 Old 03-30-2007, 02:29 PM

I am new to this site...
I have a November '05 babe! I was wondering if I could join in?
My name is Gabriele and my DH is Joe. We have been married for almost 6 yrs. We have been TTC since 2002. We conceived our first after 13 months TTC, but I m/c at 12 wks. Then it took us another 15 months to conceive my Nov baby. We have been TTC again for over 10 months and are HOPEFULLY pregnant. I got a FAINT positive the other day, and I haven't tested again yet since its still so early...I am keeping my fingers crossed...
I have been a SAHM since just before my son was born (I left work about 2 wks pre delivery), but I have a personal business website for making invitations and announcments (and more)...The link is in my sig!
Before that I was an Assistant Manager at Michaels Art & Crafts for 5 yrs. And before that I was a Pre-School teacher.
So, that is me in a nutshell...

Gabriele familybed1.gif DS (11/05) - homeschool.gif computergeek2.gif
...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#253 of 269 Old 03-30-2007, 02:34 PM

Welcome, Gabriele! Come, join our teething/moving/not-sleeping hell!

Hope your pans out for you. We've had one new arrival in this group (DreamsInDigital) since we had our Nov babes and there are a couple more trying, I think. I am NOT one of them

#254 of 269 Old 03-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Welcome Gabriele! I saw you post in Dec...I'm currently on planet "too scared to test." I'm now 18dpo and STILL not late, which according to TCOYF makes me either pregnant or a freak, but I'm trying to hang on in there until CD30. (I've had two miscarriages recently, both on the full moon, and I ovulated very early this month- CD9 instead of 19.)
Trmptplaya's next, isn't she? Then sprgrl...is it tragic that I check zjande's chart with as much attention as I do my own?
Amy, I like plan C, which is the one where you move to England and hang out with us lots Just saying...
Kavita, good luck with the move

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#255 of 269 Old 03-30-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
Susanna - I PMed you to explain more in depth.
got, it. thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
Things here are crazy. The highlight--we had a plumber here
this totally sounds like something that would happen in my house
it was built in 1910 and let's just say some things are still original

Quote:
Originally Posted by nov05mama View Post
I am new to this site...
welcome, gabriele

#256 of 269 Old 03-31-2007, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

HERE COMES THE BRIDE!!

Happy wedding day, Alicia!!! I am thinking of you today!

So I started my period sometime in the middle of the night. This explains so much about my feelings this past week. I'm really kind of irritated with how irregular my period still is (18 days last month, 30 this month! : ) because it's so unpredictable. But at least I know I'm not losing my mind.

Flapjack, I'll float that idea to DH and see what he says.

Mel, sounds like you had a lovely day!

Welcome Gabriele! Good luck on your BFP!

#257 of 269 Old 03-31-2007, 04:40 AM

Quote:
HERE COMES THE BRIDE!!

Happy wedding day, Alicia!!! I am thinking of you today!
I feel so special.

The wedding is actually on Wednesday. But we can celebrate now!!
#258 of 269 Old 03-31-2007, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, duh!! I was actually going to check your signature (didn't you used to have the date?) but it didn't say, so I thought it was today since it's Saturday and all.

I'll just repost that on Wednesday then. But, happy 3 days til your wedding!!!!!!!!

I'm such a dork.

#259 of 269 Old 03-31-2007, 11:47 AM

Hey, it's Alicia's virtual hen night
And I'm on the virtual orange juice : : : :

#260 of 269 Old 03-31-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Oh, duh!! I was actually going to check your signature (didn't you used to have the date?) but it didn't say, so I thought it was today since it's Saturday and all.

I'll just repost that on Wednesday then. But, happy 3 days til your wedding!!!!!!!!

I'm such a dork.
Nope no dork feeling allowed. You thought of me...I feel so special!!

Quote:
Hey, it's Alicia's virtual hen night

Oooh now this sounds like fun ladies
#261 of 269 Old 04-01-2007, 07:24 PM

Hey everybody!
Sounds like lots of families are in transition this week...
Amy: Hope you guys get some concrete news soon... Good luck to your DH as he interviews these next few times. Sorry about the parenting woes, hope you guys get a chance to check in with each other soon. That's hard. It will work out, though, and you WILL find some peace and time to talk.

Alicia: It's AAAAAALLLLMOST Wednesday! How exciting! Are you sleeping, or are you way too excited. I can hardly wait to see the pictures!

Gabriele! Glad to have you!~

Isa is doing some new things, so I thought I'd share. She is using actual words! She has begun saying down and pointing to the ground when she wants to run free but is being held. She also says "sssss" while she signs juice. It's a start Other than that, it's been run run run all day either at the Children's Museum or the Park. We've been having some really fun days.
#262 of 269 Old 04-01-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
So I started my period sometime in the middle of the night. This explains so much about my feelings this past week. I'm really kind of irritated with how irregular my period still is (18 days last month, 30 this month! : ) because it's so unpredictable. But at least I know I'm not losing my mind.
um, yeah. i just got my period for the first time postpartum. and boy, have my moods been showing it! i hate that part.

Quote:
???? did i miss something important ????

#263 of 269 Old 04-01-2007, 07:44 PM

Hello mamas! Kaspirant, I'm so excited for you!!! I hope your wedding is beautiful and blissful and wonderful.

Spiritmomma - yay real words!! Rowan's been saying a lot more identifiable things lately too. Bus, duck, Mog (her new favourite book), Daisy, Dada, up, hop on pop (it really does sound like that - it's her other new favourite book), apple, date, etc. This morning she even said "Ma!" and pointed at me

My mom is visiting and it's going so-so. She let Rowan scream at the top of the stairs for me when I took laundry downstairs - I thought she was going to get her and Rowan was just resisting Granny's attempts at pacification, but NO, when I got back upstairs (albeit less than a minute later) Rowan was still screaming for me at the baby gate and my mom was sitting on the couch knitting. Then she had the gall to say something to the effect of "you're going to have to let her do a whole lot more of THAT" and I just yelled "What the hell are you TALKING ABOUT??" at her then realized that was just upsetting Rowan more so I took her into the bedroom and cuddled and nursed her. Whereupon she fell asleep, 3 hours before she was due for a nap. I considered having the "our parenting style is not yours and you'd damn well better respect ours if you ever want to look after Rowan" talk with my dear ma but I was all calmed down and mellow after our cuddles and I decided not to pick a fight right then, because we'd probably wake Rowan up. So I will bait her later this evening when DH comes home and describe what happened from Rowan's point of view, which will probably get my mom to say something rude and inappropriate at which point I will tell her off. Is that wrong???

Rowan's sleeping again - it's a two-nap day. Oh, but I almost forgot the really good thing that happened - yesterday we took the little bug for a looooong walk in the morning then her daddy took her for another loooong walk in the afternoon and she slept all night last night in her crib -woke up at 12:30 and 5:30 and not a peep out of her the rest of the night! Woohoo! So today - more running around for our girl. I was suspecting she wasn't getting enough exercise and it looks like I was right. Amy - it's worth a try for you guys too - get Brynn outside and make her run around for at least 2 hour and a half stretches, and see if that doesn't make her sleep better! And never mind the weird looks from people with strollers.

#264 of 269 Old 04-01-2007, 10:37 PM

kavita- that is complete craziness about your house! i would freak out.

gabrielle- i live near you; we are in the triangle area.

gotta take the babe to bed with me...hope to catch up later.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#265 of 269 Old 04-01-2007, 10:55 PM

I agree about exercise being necessary. We go out almost every morning and every afternoon to wear Killy out. The park, the children's farmstead, the children's musuem, the zoo, the pool (during the summer), the library, the science museum... We visit them all, almost all on a weekly basis! There are three parks within a mile of our house and we visit one almost every day! As long as its over 40 degrees, we go outside! If its under 40 or its raining, we go play at the mall (I walk for exercise with the kids in the stroller, then they play in the play area). Oh, and we usually spend a couple hours outside every day playing in the yard. But Killy still doesn't sleep through the night and he's almost three!:

#266 of 269 Old 04-02-2007, 03:24 AM

Susannah- yep, you're right, that was the announcement. And everyone else missed it But I started bleeding right when I should have anyhow, so things obviously weren't meant to be :

#267 of 269 Old 04-02-2007, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Awww Helen. The emotional roller coaster of TTC is *so* hard.

QoC & Spughy - I've had the same thoughts about exercise, but it seems like even when I know she's totally worn out, she still sleeps as poorly as ever. It does make a difference with naps, though, but not night-time sleep. : That being said, exercise is important enough in its own right, so I try to get her out as much as possible now that the weather is warm enough!

Oh, and Spughy, that is hard about your mom. I don't think it's wrong to wait and pick a fight though.

Susannah, isn't it the worst!?? I was telling DH, I never had PMS this bad before I had Brynn! And then I was like, well, yeah; I wasn't sleep deprived then, either, and I could also get away and be by myself when I needed to, or just zone out and watch TV, read, etc. I told DH we need to have a strategy for next month so that I get some relief *before* things get so bad!!

Has anyone started an April thread yet?

#268 of 269 Old 04-02-2007, 10:31 AM

Nope. Bad things happen when I start threads Besides, the longer I can pretend it's March, the further away my birthday seems :
Amy, thanks for the hugs. I just find it so overwhelming that in my early twenties my life was a complete mess and if my then husband so much as sneezed, I'd be pregnant, contraception or no. Now at close-on-30 and with a lot of friends struggling with the peri-menopause, I really want another one and it doesn't seem to be happening

#269 of 269 Old 04-02-2007, 12:48 PM

New thread here...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page