*~*In like a Lion! March thread for May 04 Mamas!*~* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How did I get to be the first poster today? And new thread starter?

Not much to say, but thought I'd get us off to start the new month! Sorry for my lack of creative thread title!

ETA: link to old thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 01:47 PM

Holy cow. You started one already and I just started one and THEY BOTH HAVE THE SAME TITLE!!! How completely bizarre. May moms- post here! She started it!
#3 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmalola View Post
Holy cow. You started one already and I just started one and THEY BOTH HAVE THE SAME TITLE!!! How completely bizarre. May moms- post here! She started it!
Oooooooo wacky. You must be psychically linked. Or else March is being lionish in both places. Here it's kind of like a soggy, muddy, cold lamb. Pew.

Happy March! Went out for drinkies with some school mates yesterday afternoon (happy hour). It was fun - we went to a restaurant in the tallest building in Portland. It was quite a view. And good food. There are three of us with birthdays this week; crazy.

Operation W is going well. We are down to once a day and often Lily even forgets to ask. But I remind her if it's getting late because a. I get sappy that it's almost over and b. my boobs get a little uncomfortable after 24 hours. Sigh. I really wanted this to happen but now that it's happening I'm a bit sad. Although I do love that I don't have to wake up at 5 am every day and try to fall back asleep while DH and Lily lie there snoring beside me.

Hope everyone has a good day.

S.
#4 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 02:08 PM

Wow. Separated at birth.

Woo on 2nd tri, EL.
#5 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 PM

Oh I so don't need the confusion....I subbed to this thread and that's that!

Sarah--we're down to 1x at bedtime too and it is bittersweet. Goal is by 3ish...we'll see!

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#6 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 02:44 PM

: (maybe i can be a mexican gringa, too, what do you think, els? another pale chick down south... can they handle it?)

back to eating my breakfast...

~c
#7 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 04:06 PM

i ate breakfast and i just got to work and now all i can think of is eating something else. RAVENOUS.

and spacey. drove all the way to walgreens without the purse this morning. back home. back to walgreens. you get the pregnancy brain picture :

tequila or any kind of cocktail sounds amazingly delicious right now. it shouldn't but it does something sour sounds great. we've been really hooked on the paul newman's virgin limeade lately. why are they virgins???????????????????????????????? isaac calls it lemon juice

that phone thing drives me batty. i have to hide to make phone calls.

we met a doula last night and both liked her. we thought about interviewing 2 and then deciding but i think we'll just go with her. i think she'll be a lot of help. and her personality is very analytical. i'm debating about whether that would be a good thing (or if i want more woo woo?) but i think it is a good fit with our personalities.
#8 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 04:12 PM

who'd you interview? if it was kelley burke, i'd say it'll probably be a good fit since like 75% of the people that have interviewed me in the past 2 years and then her ultimately chose her and had a great experience. i have never met her in person, though.
#9 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM

Well, today is officially a better day!!

It isn't Friday yet, but it's practically Friday. Good enough for me.

Hugs on the pregnancy brain. It's sooo hard!

I'm going to go eat while the little man sleeps.
#10 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 04:32 PM

TC- are you going back to doula-ing? I didn't know that. Cool.

oht, reading but not feeling inspired to post this am. all is well at the moment.

peace out
#11 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Ahhhhhhhh.... what a difference a day makes. Especially when that day includes DH deciding to take today AND tomorrow off to spend time with his mom. *pumping fist in the air* YYYYYYYYES!!!!!!!!!!

I did not do tequila shots yesterday. But that was only because we didn't have any in the house. Okay, I admit it, I was being dramatic. But I DID have a glass of wine at 5:00 and BOY did it make a difference. Freshened me right up for the evening chaos.

Okay, baby freaking out. Must go.
#12 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 05:35 PM

it wasn't kelly but i asked for her because she was highly recommended to me for her massage background. i guess she does massages at a salon a block down for my office...villa villa coola. still might try to get in there for some pampering. (or maybe checking out zenana.) kelly isn't taking clients right now. it was gretchen. are you doula-ing claudia? i assumed you weren't right now with S being small. the massage background with kelly sounded reallllllllllly appealing to me but gretchen said she does massage too.

my parents are coming into town tomorrow night and staying until monday. quality time with the grandparents. it is my dad's bday on saturday. WHAT TO GET THE MAN???? we are baking him a cake on saturday. i'd love to get him a little something though but i am uncreative. stumped.
#13 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarahb View Post
Operation W is going well. We are down to once a day and often Lily even forgets to ask. But I remind her if it's getting late because a. I get sappy that it's almost over and b. my boobs get a little uncomfortable after 24 hours. Sigh.
We nurse once a day at our house (okay, A&A nurse 20x/day, of course). We only do it at bedtime and it has resulted in me not having very satisfying milk - as in "Mama, no milk!#$@#!@#!" and "It's not working today" I feel bittersweet about W too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather View Post
Oh I so don't need the confusion....I subbed to this thread and that's that!
I subbed to the other one, so I was very very confused...all set now.

More later 'gators.
#14 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 06:37 PM

I would like a full year's subscription, please.
#15 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 PM

i had to nurse grover yesterday. not just on the outside of the shirt. we had to use the real nipple. still so very interested........ but he doesn't remember how to do it.
#16 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
i had to nurse grover yesterday. not just on the outside of the shirt. we had to use the real nipple. still so very interested........ but he doesn't remember how to do it.

Yeah, those fuzzy blue guys have a hard time remembering how to do it. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
I did not do tequila shots yesterday. But that was only because we didn't have any in the house. Okay, I admit it, I was being dramatic. But I DID have a glass of wine at 5:00 and BOY did it make a difference. Freshened me right up for the evening chaos.

Okay, so I remember pre-kids a period when I had a really stressful job. I walked in, and my roommate handed me a drink (gin and tonic?), and I could just FEEL the stress trickling away as the drink trinkled down. And I thought, "Ah. This is how people with @#!!% jobs become alcoholics." :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
we've been really hooked on the paul newman's virgin limeade lately. why are they virgins???????????????????????????????? isaac calls it lemon juice

Maybe they are Vegan Nun Lemons. It's Paul Newman's--are they organic? I assume that puts them one step closer, anyway.

Back to your regularly scheduled afternoon.
#17 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 PM

dangit. i've been wracking my brain for the perfect present for a friend's daughter and i finally decided a waldorf doll was the perfect thing because they are SO dang cute. and i just figured out how much they cost. whoa. if anyone knows about affordable waldorf dollies...shoot yr info my way pls. of course if i had time to MAKE one.......

whoops. yeah grover can't remember how to do it either. but his mouth is nice and wide open for a good latch

i think they are virgin vegan AND organic limes. and they're probably grown at convents.
#18 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 09:49 PM

Jster I think you just take a stick, wrap some fabric around it, and glue some wool as hair.
Remember, in waldorf, less is more. The kids make up the rest with their imaginations.

: :

btw, I waldorf.
#19 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Emmalola, all I can hear in my head is the theme song from.......dangit, I can't remember the movie. Oh, its "the twilight zone" I knew it would come to me if I stared at the screen long enough.

Got some long overdue things done at the DMV today, after three previous attempts. : Talk about red tape.

Yay for drinks! MCSB and mm! I'll be partaking tomorrow night out with some gal-pals!

Not much to report, just checking in on my girls! And juice I'm so glad today's better.
#20 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 PM

i've heard great things about gretchen, too. and i'm not doula-ing right now or in the near future. i'll probably wait until next summer(2008) to get back to it because my parents hope to be moved out here by then and i'll have some more reliable last minute childcare options in addition to bill. if you feel like interviewing someone else, i have a couple people in mind for you. let me know.

will write more about my crazy afternoon expedition to trader joe's with tired marek and woken out of a nap stefan later... suffice it to say, we spent more time in the bathroom at TJ's and the bathroom at the library down the way than we did actually shopping and reading books... :

~c
#21 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 PM

oh my. john's mom had to be taken to the ER this afternoon because her incision site on her head was leaking a bit. turns out there is an infection and a big bunch of puss underneath (or around it? not sure) the plate in her head. she is being transferred right now to the bigger hospital 30 miles away from us where she will undergo emergency neuro-surgery tonight. wow. i am caught between feeling : and : . can't a sister get a break?????
#22 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 11:41 PM

So much for a relaxing visit, huh....hoping the surgery is without incident. : indeed!

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#23 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 11:41 PM

sheesh, megan... thinking of her and of you all... sending her some healing vibes...

~c
#24 of 313 Old 03-01-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
oh my. john's mom had to be taken to the ER this afternoon because her incision site on her head was leaking a bit. turns out there is an infection and a big bunch of puss underneath (or around it? not sure) the plate in her head. she is being transferred right now to the bigger hospital 30 miles away from us where she will undergo emergency neuro-surgery tonight. wow. i am caught between feeling : and : . can't a sister get a break?????
OK, I missed something, apparently something pretty big. I knew she was there, I knew she was watching a lot of TV - I didn't know there were medical issues... I'll have to go back and read more. please update when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah'sMama View Post
Not much to report, just checking in on my girls! And juice I'm so glad today's better.
Today didn't have any freaking choice. It HAD to be better! And is was, and is, and while life still ain't perfect we are moving forward step by step. And now I have to run, as the baby is really not wanting anything to do with Daddy.
#25 of 313 Old 03-02-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Oh... My God. Meg, many many good things, warm hugs, positive vibes to you and your fam right now.

Mercury in Retrograde is right, man. The good news? My mom got her plane!!!

OUTTA HERE!!!!

Check my blog for my latest glam shots. Viet took those for some promo material.
#26 of 313 Old 03-02-2007, 12:14 AM

Okay, recap for Juice and anyone else who might not recall the deets on my MIL. Her med issues stem from an accident she was in a year+ ago. She was riding a moped, in the rain, no helmet... at 4 AM. (Drug addicts do that sort of thing, if ya catch my drift.) She suffered a major head injury and has had a few surgeries over several months. The last surgery was a few months ago and supposed to be the "last one" and she was supposedly good to go. She's made a rather miraculous recovery, including a "cure" for her drug addiction. Her brain was so altered from the accident, the addicted part of her brain is no longer. Weird, huh?

BUT.... now it turns out, no one asked her doctors if it was okay to fly : so that may have caused this infection. It seems logical to me that the cabin pressure could potentially cause swelling and stress and spark in infection, don't you all think?

I feel guilty for being frustrated with her visit and with her, and for feeling like this new surgery is just one more thing for me/us to deal with, but no one really asked us if she could come in the first place. John's uncle bought her ticket w/o consulting us, because he wanted to go on vacation (well deserved, but still) and she can't be left alone. So rather than find someone to stay with her at their house, he decided to fly her and her busted head across the freakin country (from FL to CA) to come stay with us for 10 days. Did I mention : : : ?

She was scheduled to go home on Sunday, but who knows when she'll go now. I assume she will be in the hospital for several days, and then at our house for several more before she can travel home. If she can even fly, that is. The outcome of this situation is sooooo uncertain. We've just got to get through the surgery and the rest will fall out from there.

The prospect of her being here for like a month is sending me into a total tailspin. Can. Not. Deal.

Thanks mamas for letting me vent about this. John shares my sentiments, but it's still weird to talk my DH about his mom like that. He has a long history with her (not good) and he's no mama's boy, that's for sure. But I still feel like I have to hold back some of my exasperation. He has put up with my parents visiting a million times, and although it's drastically different, it's in-laws and you do what you gotta do.

I guess at this very moment I'm just super glad John took today off. If he had not, it would have been me and the three kids taking her to the ER, and following her to the other hospital to wait for the surgery. I'm feeling relieved that all I have to do it 100% kid duty tonight. Suddenly, the diner/bath/bed routine seems like a piece of cake.
#27 of 313 Old 03-02-2007, 12:41 AM

You know, I must be psychic. Earlier today at the store, before all this news, I was mysteriously drawn to the easter candy display and was compelled to buy a bag of cadbury mini eggs. Mmmmmmmmm.... turned out to be just want I need. I can have chocolate for dinner, right?
#28 of 313 Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

You so did not need this, meg. I hope it all works out as it should, and am so relieved John was home for the drama, and spared you alot of hospital-sitting.
#29 of 313 Old 03-02-2007, 01:08 AM

Megan-yes, chocolate is great for dinner, especially given what you've gone through this week. I love me some of those cadbury eggs. Yummy.

I'm just subbing....at work right now and don't have much time as I need to count my drawer and go home!

But, I wanted everyone to know that I wrote a nice post yesterday and the electricity went off right at the end so I lost it! And I didn't have time to re-do. I'll have to do it at some point.

Gotta run.
#30 of 313 Old 03-02-2007, 10:15 AM

Wow dude, I was offline for a DAY!
Elsanne, your instructions for a Waldorf doll had me ! Hahaha! Awesome. I made a doll for someone like that once...

Meg, WOW. I'm sending some "give a sister a break!!" and "MIL get better!" vibes your way!
OMG I love me some mini-eggs. I was tempted at work the other day (I work in a mall, there's a drugstore there, and the Easter candy is in full effect! ) but I resisted. I'll wait till perhaps a bit closer to the actual day. Maybe. Or maybe I'll get some when we go to the grocery store this afternoon! : Haha.
Wine at 5pm...mmmm! Tequila, not so much. I, like many people I know, had some baaaaad experiences with tequila back in the day.

Rowan is still sleeping, but I don't expect it to last much longer, and I want coffee. I and am thinking of you all sooooo fondly!

Finally subbing to the (correct!) thread! I am a dork, though. I was reading the end of the Feb. thread and I was like, "why hasn't there been any new updates?"

Have a great day, mamas.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page