Mayonnaise and toddlers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
GuildJenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you feed your toddler mayo? When did you start, if you do. I have some recipes with it that I'd like to start introducing but I'm not sure if it's an ok food for my 18 mo old.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
GuildJenn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 PM
 
lyttlewon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
Do you feed your toddler mayo? When did you start, if you do. I have some recipes with it that I'd like to start introducing but I'm not sure if it's an ok food for my 18 mo old.
The same time as I introduced eggs. Around 12 months. I have made my own mayo before and it is a million times yummier than the store bought stuff. It just doesn't keep well.
lyttlewon is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
 
SandraS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Absolutely - one of our first foods around 6 months was things like egg salad... All three had anything we had when they started solids.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
SandraS is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 AM
 
WhaleinGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do, starting around 11 or 12 months if I recall. I have a recipe for home-made, eggless mayo made with flax oil and almonds if you're interested. We love it here.
WhaleinGaloshes is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 12:58 PM
 
anthasam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_goer View Post
I do, starting around 11 or 12 months if I recall. I have a recipe for home-made, eggless mayo made with flax oil and almonds if you're interested. We love it here.
ooooh, I would love to see that recipe :
anthasam is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 PM
 
WhaleinGaloshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is my mayo recipe:

1/4 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup soy or rice milk
1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flax oil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

-- combine ingredients in a blender in descending order; blend on high speed until thick and creamy. Makes 1 cup.

This keeps in the fridge for around 2 weeks. We put it on sandwiches, in recipes like egg salad and deviled eggs, and use it as a veggie dip occasionally.
WhaleinGaloshes is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
 
limabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
DS loves mayo & cheese sandwiches, and tuna salad sandwiches. I think we've been giving him stuff with may in it since he was about 18 months.

Also, if you want to make a traditional mayo recipe, many grocery stores sell pasteurized eggs these days so you don't have to worry about salmonella. (Not sure if those are in line with NFL, but I like to use them so that I can let DS "lick the bowl" without worrying.)

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
limabean is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
 
alegna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep. Plain-ol storebought mayo. She's had it since maybe 18 months or so? Whenever I started sandwiches She loves it.

-Angela
alegna is offline  
Old 03-07-2007, 03:23 PM
 
anthasam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_goer View Post
Here is my mayo recipe:

1/4 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup soy or rice milk
1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flax oil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

-- combine ingredients in a blender in descending order; blend on high speed until thick and creamy. Makes 1 cup.

This keeps in the fridge for around 2 weeks. We put it on sandwiches, in recipes like egg salad and deviled eggs, and use it as a veggie dip occasionally.

Sounds easy and yummy! Thank you!!
anthasam is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off