Mamas W/ Toddlers & A Newborn - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't know how I missed this thread!! Dd is 25 months and ds is 8 weeks, we are super busy but it has gotten better...of course some days are better than others...but you all obviously understand that. I have been lucky in that dh has been home most of the time since ds was born. BUT I have now gotten them both down for a nap twice (SAME time!!), usually I nurse ds while trying to hold dd...it's a juggle but it works mostly. I wish dd was the type to go to sleep on her own, but she's not. She needs someone there for her...she just does. I have ventured out with both kids to the park a few times...not brave enough to go the grocery store alone yet...but I am a big fan of wearing ds and strapping dd into the cart. We do that now, it's just usually dh is there too. Anyway, there are days when I cry and days when I feel like I could conquer the world...glad to find some ladies to share it with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

A quick bumpy to keep this going, gosh knows I need the support! know i'm not the only one
these last fews days have been awful!!!!!! I'll go into details when i have more time! DD is just wild all day....if i can make it through her being 2, I can make it through anything! Right now, I'd take 4 newborns over one 2 yr old!
dizzy:
Old 04-01-2007, 01:39 PM

We've been going out EVERY day, preferably outside to a park or something, but it's been rainy, so that's not always possible. For some reason, DD (my two-year-old) is much more tolerable when we're not in the house.

The last couple of days, we've walked so much she's worn herself out so much that she's put herself down for a nap. What a dream!

I think that's my new key to how to handle it. Wear the 2-year-old out with activities.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannahM View Post
I think that's my new key to how to handle it. Wear the 2-year-old out with activities.
tell me about it! we've had rain too so that's been trying. ive gone to mcdonalds way too many time this last week only because they have an indoor playground and I will go crazy if we dont get out of the house.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avena View Post
A quick bumpy to keep this going, gosh knows I need the support! know i'm not the only one
these last fews days have been awful!!!!!! I'll go into details when i have more time! DD is just wild all day....if i can make it through her being 2, I can make it through anything! Right now, I'd take 4 newborns over one 2 yr old!
dizzy:
the last few days have been rough for me too. big hug. and now back the the zoo!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 AM

We just had the worst weekend. DD1 had the stomach flu and was :Puke Friday night and Saturday morning. All she wanted, of course, was her mommy. I tried to be there for her as much as I could. Unfortunately dd1 is going through a stage where she only wants me. There was way too much crying going on in our house. It was awful! : My dh went to work, so I'm hoping she'll feel better today.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear&babybear View Post
We just had the worst weekend. DD1 had the stomach flu and was :Puke Friday night and Saturday morning. All she wanted, of course, was her mommy. I tried to be there for her as much as I could. Unfortunately dd1 is going through a stage where she only wants me. There was way too much crying going on in our house. It was awful! : My dh went to work, so I'm hoping she'll feel better today.

Well dh went back to work today!: I am sort of excited to try this out on my own though, I am much more motivated when I don't have him here to help. This morning I have already done a couple of loads of laundry, and the dishes...next a walk then the park...hopefully by then dd will be ready for a nap. We'll see.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:11 PM

Dd won't sleep without carrying on and ds barely naps during the day. I feel like pulling my hair out! My patience is worn so thin, I feel like I'm going to snap. Poor dh he can't do anything without getting yelled at.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMOMMY View Post
Dd won't sleep without carrying on and ds barely naps during the day. I feel like pulling my hair out! My patience is worn so thin, I feel like I'm going to snap. Poor dh he can't do anything without getting yelled at.
Yep that's where we are too! AHHHHHH:
PLEASE SOMEONE TELL US IT'S DOES GET BETTER???
Old 04-07-2007, 02:38 AM

it can be crazy. but when i see ds1 be so sweet to ds2 it melts my heart and makes all the trials seem so small. ds1 loves "his baby" and will go out of his way to bring toys and books to ds2. i try really hard to stay focused on the positive things. not ds1 throwing blocks at the cat while i'm bfing ds2:

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
Old 04-07-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabellee View Post
ds1 loves "his baby" and will go out of his way to bring toys and books to ds2.
lucien loves marcus too. one time he brought marcus a cheese stick because he was crying and "was hungry."

at this point, it's so easy to pawn lucien off on family members but i know what he needs is some good old-fashion attachment.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:41 PM

: I'm a full-time stay at home Dad of a 2 1/2 and 4 yr. old...only been in this "Mr. Mom" mode for a year so wife did all the heavy lifting on the middle-of-the-night waking-ups...well,not all.
I was a traditionalist husband with a good streak of chauvism. Man, have I been humbled. Made a post of just how joyful I was of the little one Finally having success on the potty and how proud I am of him and me for not giving up.
So, my world has shrunk from the ability to hire/fire people to doing back-flips about poop in a toilet:
Yet, in some ways it has expanded...I've find the simplest beauties can be found in the small slices of life.
Yet, when I'm doing the household's grocery shopping and I have a wandering four year old and the little brat has a soiled diaper...and I still have ten things i MUST get for dinner...
I want to scream "give me old life back!"
Old 04-14-2007, 12:15 PM

hi all! just got back from visiting my parents. oh no! i have to be a parent again!! i got so much ME time there. ive got two questions.

1) im wondering how others are handling this - marcus is 1m. lucien is 2.5y. while i was pregnant i cut back to nursing only at nap and bedtime because i just couldnt take the gnawing and him crawling all over my belly. since marcus was born, lucien "need BOOBIE" constantly. when he wakes up (he NEVER needed to nurse first thing in the morning), whenever he sees marcus nursing, because im naked from the shower and he sees them, etc.

im trying to give him as much physical contact and attention as possible but there are times he doesnt want to cuddle, he wants...scratch that... needs boobie. in fact, he was screaming that on the plane yesterday because it was nap time but couldnt get out of his seat because we were taking off. (im working on getting him to sign "milk" when he wants to nurse. boobie was cute when he was 18m, not now.)

should i hold to our current pattern, or have him lead until we get past this transition?

2) why is it that toddlers only poop the second you take your eye off them? lucien's been pee-trained for a few months now, but pooping is another story completely. he will run out of the room if we are playing but instead of two feet to the bathroom, will go 20 feet to the other end of the house to hide. i will put him on the potty about the time i know he needs to poop but it's while im washing my hands after he does nothing that he poops in his underwear. thank goodness im in texas and it's already getting warm and we can have lots of naked time in the yard! but right now it's driving me bonkers!!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all ~been so busy here not much time to be on line anymore!

well, I don't have much advice for nusing a toddler as DD stopped (THANKFULLY!)on her own a couple weeks before #2 was born~ can you maybe give your DS a sippy cup w/ breastmilk or hemp milk to help ease/wean off you? I did give DD a sippy w/hemp milk and tried to make it a big deal, a big girl thing...... to see if she'd cut down on nursing while I was preg, as it was soooo painful!

DD runs to hide a cross the room to poo too! not sure why
Old 04-23-2007, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

How everyone is
I'll be back to post when I have more time~ Wee one is awake....But life, for us right now is better, YAY!:
Old 04-23-2007, 04:40 PM

It's going better, but it's still so hectic. The hardest part of the day for us is bedtime.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:52 PM

DD was 22 months when ds was born. The early days were pretty easy, because dd was a good sleeper, played well on her own - she had out grown alot of her high need tendencies. Then when she turned 2 things got much harder - she discovered her will and started getting into things alot more.

Now we are looking at #3 due on dd's 3rd birthday. DS will be 15 months. I'm hoping ds will be easy the second year the way dd was. Right now at 9 months, he's being pretty demanding, and I've been a little irritated since I'm pregnant and wanting rest. He has been sleeping through the night, but the past 3 days has been waking to nurse - then he wants to be up at 7 am and he wants me up too. DD would play in her crib at his age, but not him - he wants me.

I was just thinking today about the things I've discovered really aren't important. DS doesn't get a bath every day. He's not getting dirty. I put him in a clean sleeper at night, and alot of times he will wear that the whole next day. There's no need for so many costume changes - it jsut creates more laundry!
Old 04-24-2007, 02:54 AM

I have a 27 mo and a 2 week old. We've had my parents here for the past 3 weeks and they have been amazing. Through the end of my pregnancy, the birth, and after they have helped us so much and Ds1 absolutly adores them. They are leaving on Thursday and everything will change/go back to normal. I'm just trying to figure out how to ease the transition.

DS#1 1/05, DS#2 4/07, DD 12/11  homebirth.jpgcd.gif

Old 04-24-2007, 03:49 AM

I've done it twice now, DD was 22m when DS1 was born, and DS2 was 24m when DS3 was born. Sanity pretty much does just fly out the window until about 4 months, and doesn't really return until a year. It will get better, I promise!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Old 04-24-2007, 04:15 AM

hey all- gosh time does fly doesn't it. We had friends from out of town here last week (thankfully not staying with us) cause that would be crazy. It actually really forced me to step things up a bit. I ended up doing a lot of things I was a little scared to do. In the verturing out of the house sense. We ended up in a lot of eating out situations- which I haven't wanted to do since ds has been having tantrums.There were however things that I just said no to. I had no desire to wait to drive on a ferrie to then unload the kids which would really be pointless cause the ferrie isn't that long and I would gotten them out of the car simply to put them back in. Then we would have just driven around following my friends in their rental car which there wasn't enough room for all of us in. It would have sucked and I'm proud that I said no. I'm usually not that kinda girl- I just go along for the ride. Not anymore- "a baby changes everything" well two changes things evenmore. It was interesting and a little difficult to realize how different my life has become from my friends.

Sorry that was a little OT. Things do seem to be getting a little easier- not that we have any kind of schedule. The weather is improving which has made it easier to find things to do. Childrens museum, beach, parks. Of course even with all the activities NOBODY WANTS TO NAP :
Old 04-24-2007, 12:35 PM

I have a crazy 2 year old and I'm expecting in June, I'm subbing!

Dara Mommy to Gabbie (4/05) , Zachary (6/07) , and Simon (8/10)
Old 04-24-2007, 12:53 PM

I haven't seen this thread before.
I have a two month old and a 20 month old. The two month old is great he is laid back sleeps all night a lot of the time now (somenights he wakes up for a 20 minute nursing). The toddler is teething again and likes to get up between two and three. Colorado is cold and wet today so it is an inside day.

It is going a lot better than I thought it would though since I was picturing having another like the first one.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:03 PM

Mine are 11 months apart

It can be hectic at first, but you'll find a way to get through it very quickly. It's the only way to survive! Now, it really isn't stressful at all. I just go with the flow and and try to remain positive
Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM

I have read 1/2 the replies and will be back for the rest.

My oldest is 5, 2nd is 24 mos and baby is almost 10 weeks. It is not having 3 children that is hard it is having a wild toddler w/a baby. I feel chained to the house. The toddler won't stay in the stroller and runs away from us/won't hold our hand when we are out. I had a dream last night that I could see her across a very large parking lot last night to catch up with her. I use a wrap for the babe but never ever mastered nursing in it . . .and even though I am hands-free it is still really hard to deal (physically esp) with a toddler meltdown or one refusing to sit or walk with us. It is not the stress of tantrums that is hardest, it is the DANGER. My oldest was NOT like this as a toddler-- so even though it is typical it is new to me.

DH is great w/bedtime-- he handles the oldest 2. I deon't bother with naps, if they happen great.

We watch way too much TV. I REALLY want to find a SAFE way to get out of this house. We just ordered a backpack w/harness so maybe that will help. I don't care if I get looks-- it's either (1)risk danger (2) stay home going crazy or (3)use a harness.

Even our backyard is dangerous. Our playset is too high for DD w/o me right there, and if I have to sit to nurse-- ack.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 04-24-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanandbellasmom View Post
Mine are 11 months apart

It can be hectic at first, but you'll find a way to get through it very quickly. It's the only way to survive! Now, it really isn't stressful at all. I just go with the flow and and try to remain positive
Exactly what I needed to hear. THNX
Old 04-25-2007, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

I totally agree, it's home bound for us too and I was going crazy! ESP. that we had snow still~ I put DS in the pouch sling and I usually have to walk & nurse him while keeping up w/my wild running DD too! I have to say the 1st couple times I did it I thought I was insane! Esp. during DD's meltdowns outside and the babe who needed to nurse, but it's a bit better.....I have to say walking and nursing and keeping up w/ a toddler heck I can do anything

~I caught DD today trying to put a coffee bean in DS mouth! YIKES!!!! THANKFULLY IT LANDED ON HIS CHIN! He was in our moses basket I was at the stove abt. an arms length away..99% of the time I DON'T take my eyes off of DD while she is near him in the basket as (she means well ) wants to feed him! OYIA!! I heard her say here little fellow! OH BOY when I saw the bean on his chin I thought OMG!!!!!

Ohh these toddlers!

Are your new ones sleeping well? DS is up 4-5 times a night, thankfully most nights DD sleeps through! But she is still a very early riser!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:01 AM

Mind if I join?? My toddler is 20 months and my newborn was born April 1st

DS2 is such a sweet calm baby who cries for only 2 reasons...hunger and gas....I feel blessed b/c DS1 was more demanding.

Baby sleeps about 3 hrs straight at night sometimes 2 1/2 hrs, which is also a lot better than DS2.

My main concern or problem now is keeping DS1 asleep while feeding DS2.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:24 AM

Mine are 15 months apart.

Ds is 20 months old, and dd is now 5 months old. We were inside during the winter, mainly because it was cold (<10 degrees most of the season), but now that it's warmer, we're out and about.

I allow tons of extra time to do anything - things that should take 30 minutes take closer to 60....

I wear dd a lot - leaving both hands free to care for ds in public (as 20 month olds don't understand not to run off somewhere...!!).

I pray a lot.

And I take comfort from a lot of the mamas here who keep telling me it will get easier! Thank you to all of you.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Old 04-25-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avena View Post
~I caught DD today trying to put a coffee bean in DS mouth! YIKES!!!! THANKFULLY IT LANDED ON HIS CHIN!
I thought I had my bases covered by repeating over and over again that K only gets mama's milk(and honestly she does very well usually). However, yesterday I caught dd1 putting tupperware over dd2's nose and mouth. Dd1's response was that it was mama's milk in there. Oy!!!

On the upside, I was talking to my dh the other day, and we both feel like we haven finally hit our stride as a family.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:08 PM
kdf

I thought I was crazy half way though my pg"What the heck am I doing having a toddler and a newborn". It isn't as bad as I thought. Some days are though. I am so glad spring is here and it is nice out so I can get outside. I wear my dd a lot and that helps. DS is good but he is a busy boy and is still having troubles sleeping some nights. I am so glad that dd is a good sleeper. I hate going out though that takes a lot of energy and I am exhausted by the end of the day. DD is great during the day and is fussy in the evening which is good b/c ds is sleeping. I figure this is such a short period of time and they will be so close in age that it will be great once they are 4 or 5.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

User Tag List