When can they pedal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-18-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was quite surprised when dd learned to pedal her little tricycle at only 22 months. Now at almost 2, she is a madwoman on that thing, she gets going really fast. I was NOT expecting her to learn yet, and my plan for her 2nd birthday was to get her a wooden push bike thing (you know like those bikes with no pedals), but now I am stumped!
So my next question is when can they learn to ride a ike with no training wheels? I know its a few years of still, but I want to be prepared!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 03-18-2007, 07:24 PM

from what i saw working at a daycare, any where form 2+, usually around 2.5-4. all depends on the kid. we had a 4 year old riding one of the little 2 wheelers great, it was funny because not even most of the kindergartners could do it yet. i think i was off training wheels at 5 or 6 maybe, but i dont really remember

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#3 of 7 Old 03-18-2007, 07:29 PM

Most kids can ride a bike without training wheels between 4-6, I think. We've been working on it with my 4 yr. old but he prefers to have training wheels on still.
#4 of 7 Old 03-18-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
I was NOT expecting her to learn yet, and my plan for her 2nd birthday was to get her a wooden push bike thing (you know like those bikes with no pedals), but now I am stumped!
It was my understanding that the purpose of this type of bike was to teach balance. The child will eventually start lifting their feet and gliding for longer and longer distances, keeping the bike balanced while they glide. Then when you switch them to a pedal bike, they'll be able to pedal and balance, and theoretically won't need training wheels.

The fact that your dd can pedal probably has no bearing whatsoever on her ability to balance, so it seems to me that the balance bike would still be really useful . We're planning on getting one for dd this summer (she'll be 2 in July), and I'm really excited about it .

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
#5 of 7 Old 03-18-2007, 10:59 PM

As a kid, I was never allowed to use training wheels, so I learned to ride a bike with out them at 3.5 years. From what I understand, it is usually a bit later if you start with training wheels.
#6 of 7 Old 03-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Pen

I gave my son a 10 inch bike with no training wheels at 25 months. By the second day he was riding it and within the week he stopped falling.

From what I understand, the amount of time it takes to learn balance on a two wheeler, assuming the child is ready, is the same at two years old as it is at six or ten or twenty.

The difference is in the inertia. If the training wheels are already on the bike, they are likely to stay on longer... because the child is afraid to try without ....or 'the wrench is in the garage, I'll do it this weekend'...or the parent doesn't have time this week to hold the back of the seat this week, maybe next week...
#7 of 7 Old 03-18-2007, 11:26 PM

My oldest received a tricycle for his 2nd bday and could never ride it... He just couldnt.. instead, at 3 years, we bought him a real bicycle and he can ride that no problem LOL.. but still cant figure out the tricycle lolol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page