22 month old behavior - a phase? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-20-2007, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me this is a phase. My 22 month old daughter has been soooo crabby lately. She is very whiny and it seems like she throws these mini tantrums all the time. Nothing we do is right lately. She is very vocal (we can have full conversations with her) so it's not like we can't communicate well, but man it's killing me. She is also very clingy with me lately and wants to nurse A LOT. She's very demanding with it too.. "mommy, i want to nurse" and I have to give in or it's even worse!

Please tell me this will pass soon.. I want my nice, happy little toddler back!

Melissa

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-21-2007, 12:24 AM

Sounds like my 22mo dd! I was just marvelling today at how much time she spends sitting on my lap with her head on my shoulder... like there's nothing more interesting to do or explore?! She is very clingy lately... and whiny... and throws little fits over things like getting dressed.
#3 of 8 Old 03-21-2007, 02:15 AM

Sounds like my 24 month old, and I think he started to get like this a couple of months ago too. It is so hard to deal with, and I've wondered what I'm doing wrong! I keep trying to just speak to him calmly about using his big boy voice and that mommy doesn't understand the whining. He'll eventually hear me right? I'm just starting to get more consistent about not doing what he wants until he stops crying/whining.
#4 of 8 Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 AM

Is she getting molars? We just came through a really rough patch with my DD. She didn't claim to be in any pain, but sure enough a tooth popped through and I had my happy girl back.
#5 of 8 Old 03-21-2007, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

All four molars have already broken through.. she's a pretty good teether, so I don't think that's it. I guess it's just the "twos"

She sounds just like the others mentioned.. I just feel like I can't do it somedays.. We just got over a getting dressed tantrum this morning. I have to walk out of the room and then she calls me back (screaming). Sometimes she'll then let me do what needs to be done - today was putting a diaper on. ANd five minutes from now it'll be something else. The nursing issue is just causing more tantrums b/c once she's mad she wants to nurse and then I'll say we just nursed (trying to slowly wean over the next 6 months) and that makes an even BIGGER tantrum!
Wow.. every time I think about having another one, I have one of these days (or weeks it seems) and it stops me... HA!

Keep the support coming.. it makes me like I'm not alone.

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
#6 of 8 Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 AM

yeah, she may have four molars now, but aren't we due for four more (the so-called "2 year" molars)? At least I'm hoping--we've had some very clingy times here too but DS has been fighting the same awful cold I have so I think it's that.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#7 of 8 Old 03-21-2007, 10:44 AM

Ahhhh...another 22 month old here with the exact same behaviours. I keep reminding myself that I must have gone through it with ds. I must have just blocked it from my memory Yesterday were two 30 minute meltdowns over feeding the dog and wanting to play with the phone. Does distraction/choices/redirection work for anyone else? 'Cause it sure doesn't here. Dd just shakes her head and says "bye mom" and waves goodbye

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#8 of 8 Old 03-21-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyToElla View Post
She sounds just like the others mentioned.. I just feel like I can't do it somedays.. We just got over a getting dressed tantrum this morning. I have to walk out of the room and then she calls me back (screaming). Sometimes she'll then let me do what needs to be done - today was putting a diaper on. ANd five minutes from now it'll be something else. The nursing issue is just causing more tantrums b/c once she's mad she wants to nurse and then I'll say we just nursed (trying to slowly wean over the next 6 months) and that makes an even BIGGER tantrum!
Wow.. every time I think about having another one, I have one of these days (or weeks it seems) and it stops me... HA!

Keep the support coming.. it makes me like I'm not alone.
I could have written that re: my 20 month old DD. Just here to give you a . This too shall pass, right? Someone please say, "Yes".

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page