Getting urine sample from my toddler??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kiera might have a UTI and the ped wants me to coeelct a sample this weekend sometime so they can look at it Monday afternoon. I asked how to do this and the receptionist told me to take whatever she does in her little potty but she sits on the "big" toilet. Um...thoughts??? Anyone else have to do this?
#2 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 04:53 PM

We've had to do it with our girls but they gave us collection bag that stuck on them and then we put their diaper or panties on over it.

-Pam
#3 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Same thing. My 3 Yo was just checked for this and the doctor used a Puck. It's a little baggie they stick on, the pee just flow right in.

hearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gifhearts.gif A house full of girls, but for dad and one brother bikenew.gif
"Be careful how you speak to your children. One day it will become their inner voice." ~ Peggy O' Mara
Cloth diapering, babywearing and co-sleeping has been a way of life for almost a decade now partners.gif
#4 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 06:37 PM

Can you get her to pee in a cup?
#5 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 06:46 PM

We had to do this when my daughter was a baby--they put one of those bags on her, under the diaper, and it was a disaster and so traumatic for her. So I just took one of their cups home and held it under her on the toilet. Is there a time of day when your daughter always pees? For mine it's right after naps and right after a bath.
Good luck.
#6 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 07:46 PM

There is a very easy solution.If there is any sort of medical supply store in your area you can get this little bowl type thing that sits on the big potty.It's only a couple of bucks and totally worth it!!I had to collect a lot of pee when I was pregnant and was so happy to find this little contraption.

Or could you just get her to sit over a big bowl?

#7 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 08:09 PM

My daughter has urinary reflux and has to be checked every couple months. We have had no problem with the sticky bags.
#8 of 12 Old 03-30-2007, 11:34 PM

Have her pee into an empty Sitz bath on the big potty?
#9 of 12 Old 03-31-2007, 01:06 AM

I would think that the item that the pee is collected in should be sterile. I'm surprised that the doc didn't give you anything to collect it in.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#10 of 12 Old 03-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoremybabe View Post
I would think that the item that the pee is collected in should be sterile. I'm surprised that the doc didn't give you anything to collect it in.
Yes, I agree. I had to collect urine from my son and I challenged him to urinate in the collection cup, he loved it so much he gave me several 'samples'. Girls are a bit more difficult but you could try making it a game when she sits on the toilet.

Science Mom
#11 of 12 Old 04-01-2007, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I am *hoping* it will all go away before I have to trek out there and have them do asample in the office or worse yet do something awful like a catheder. I told the receptionist I thought it needed to be sterile and she just told me not to worry about it. I would love to get a terile hting to put the urine in however her ped is an hour away from where I live. Sigh...once there is no tornado warning maybe I can make a late night trip to the store and see if they have anything...
#12 of 12 Old 04-01-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugchild77 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am *hoping* it will all go away before I have to trek out there and have them do asample in the office or worse yet do something awful like a catheder. I told the receptionist I thought it needed to be sterile and she just told me not to worry about it. I would love to get a terile hting to put the urine in however her ped is an hour away from where I live. Sigh...once there is no tornado warning maybe I can make a late night trip to the store and see if they have anything...
Uh, catheters are not that awful. I have to cath my daughter three times a day.

I also agree, that what ever collection cup you use must be sterile.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page