*aug '05 Mamas ~ It's April!* - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 114 Old 04-20-2007, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K's Mom! View Post
Hooray Heldt that your little guy is learning to be scared. Oh, Man! I wish Cheyne would learn fear. He just leaps and goes for it. . .anything. He crashed off the tricycle today and now has a large bruised knot on his forehead. I hope He learns fear or else I'm not going to survive his teenage years. :
Aww, poor little guy. Give it time. There's a lady in our ECFE class that has a boy a lot like my little JJ. She said he really mellowed out around 4-5 years old. That, and my husband's older brother was a real terror as a child, but was easy as a teen. It was the calm, easy child (my hubby) that was the teen horror.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#92 of 114 Old 04-20-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post
I know it's vain, but I really want to kill the mummy tummy so I don't "owe" weight going into my next pregnancy.
It's not vain, it's smart! I think I know you all well enough to admit this... I gained 80 pounds with Adam's pregnancy, lost 60, and then gained another 80+ with Sarah's pregnancy. Doing the math, I've lost 50...but still have another 50 to go to even get to my pre-preg weight! I'm thrilled to be in my old size 14s this week, but I've got a little ways to go.

Knowing what I know now, I probably had gestational hyperglycemia/GD - I did the GTT when I was pg with Sarah, and my glucose result was within 3 points of being "positive" - knowing me, my doc told me just to try to control with diet. I made a half-hearted attempt, but honestly, I didn't try too hard. It was a catch-22 being so tired & using sugar to feel better...which it did make me feel....for a little while.... And so it went!

But I am wearing Sarah and pulling Adam in the wagon every day for 2-3 miles as well as chasing him around nightly outside, so that is helping.

I'll get there.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#93 of 114 Old 04-21-2007, 05:00 PM

Speaking of weight loss...anyone notice that the jello belly is harder to get rid of after the second? I was able to trim it up pretty quickly after the first, buy now it just juggles no matter what I do. I've got some really toned muscles under there, but you sure wouldn't know it! I really hate the over the edge pants roll...what's with that??

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#94 of 114 Old 04-21-2007, 05:29 PM

I really hate the over the edge pants roll...what's with that??

Ah, the lovely muffin-top!

Here's a cute story: I got a new green Hanes sweat-skirt for adollartwoeighty and it has this cute pocket on the front like a hoodie does. I put it on this morning (hurray for warm weather!) and Lily says to me, "Mom, that skirt really works for you cuz that pocket really hides your belly fat".

Thanks, hon.

In other news....A knows colors! That's a tough trick when you can't talk! Yesterday we were building towers and she picked up an orange block and signed "orange" (like the fruit)! Then I asked her where the blue one was and she picked it up and the same for red! I am thrilled. Now, I just need to learn and teach her all the color signs....:

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#95 of 114 Old 04-22-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldt123 View Post
Speaking of weight loss...anyone notice that the jello belly is harder to get rid of after the second? I was able to trim it up pretty quickly after the first, buy now it just juggles no matter what I do. I've got some really toned muscles under there, but you sure wouldn't know it! I really hate the over the edge pants roll...what's with that??
I don't know what's up with that? But, I'll try to figure it out once the 5 mos. preggo belly goes away. I actually had a woman almost comment on me being preggo when I was buying wine. C was 14 mos. old! Bah! This ladies, is why I am working my tail off (literally and figuratively!).

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#96 of 114 Old 04-22-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
Here's a cute story: I got a new green Hanes sweat-skirt for adollartwoeighty and it has this cute pocket on the front like a hoodie does. I put it on this morning (hurray for warm weather!) and Lily says to me, "Mom, that skirt really works for you cuz that pocket really hides your belly fat".

Thanks, hon.

Hahaha... See...that's the kind of conversations that I actually look forward to with DS!! When they get all funny, smart and sassy.
#97 of 114 Old 04-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldt123 View Post

Yes...I definitely notice the extra jelly that's left on me...though my pants hide it pretty well. I squeezed my belly in the shower to see how much fat there was and yes there were a lot more fat for my size.

It just adds up after the 1st child...
#98 of 114 Old 04-22-2007, 11:04 PM

Quick update on Christopher.....

What is UP with the constant nagging and whining....and it's only when he sees certain people too....*cough* in laws *cough I'm so tired of it now I just don't pay attention to him. And of course MIL runs over and bows down to his every need..

C discovered shyness now....today the inlaws came and brougght some friends to see the new baby and C had his head down with a shy face when the guests want to hold him. It's so cute!!

Random note: I can't believe how big and heavy C is getting now!! Holy monkeys I swear he gained 10 lbs since Justin was born. His head is huge...is it just because I have a newborn to compare him to now? I can barely hold him upt he stairs now!

Random question for everyone: Would it bother you if your child calls the grandma "ma ma"? I don't know it's really aggravating me, though I know it's not intentional because MIL refers herself as "grandma" though C calls out in this whining tone "ma ma" to her and she responds. Now when C calls mama I don't even know if he wants me or not.

Just something that was pissing me off for awhile now. Would it bother you guys? I do get posessive sometime, maybe it's just me...
#99 of 114 Old 04-23-2007, 02:22 PM

Nonny, E calls my mum "mapa", sometimes "mama", but it sounds like mehma, not mama or mummy, so it's a little different...
E is climbing up EVERYTHING. Tables, chairs, counters, window ledges...Yesterday she figured out how to turn drawers into steps, and made it up. (I was watching, but let her do it, because it was fascinating). I really hope this is a short phase! I admire her confidence, but she doesn't have enough fear.
The warm weather is awesome! We are outdoors all the time, and I'm listening to E say "side? side? side? walk?" the whole time we're inside. I've been gardening after 2 years of letting it do pretty much its own thing, and there's so much to do-but E is helping/letting me work while she plays outside, so it's nice. Another nice side effect is the super long naps-E has been sleeping for ages in the afternoons, so I feel like I have some time to myself again.
Anyone PLing??? E is hit and miss, (more floor than anything else), but she seems interested and is able to hold her pee-so I'm thinking maybe?!? I don't want to pressure her though or stress her about it, so I'm just sitting her on the potty when I go, or asking her if she wants to, whenever I think of it.
My bread just beeped, so I'm going to go have some lunch. Have a great day!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#100 of 114 Old 04-24-2007, 05:53 PM

Fridgeart - the Elimination Communication forum has a "late starters" sticky that might be helpful to you. Right now, it's all about timing here and we are having more and more dry-all-day days. By timing I mean in the morning after nursing, then right after breakfast and then every two hours and before and after bedtimes. I also take A to the potty when we get somewhere or leave somewhere, depending on the timing. Oh, and I don't ask her anymore if she needs to go potty, I just pick her up and say, "It's potty time" and she pees and/or poos every time. I've also found that having more dry days makes her more motivated to tell me before she has to go, so she's signing "potty" more and more. It's been a looooooooong process! Good luck!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#101 of 114 Old 04-25-2007, 05:54 PM

Kate, you are awesome. Dry-all-day days -- wow. So cool!!!

Part of me wants to be "I am lactivist, hear me roar" and part of me would like a tiny break. Here's the thing. I am teaching for a regional paramedic program tomorrow - they invited me to guest lecture, and I'm excited to be doing the ob/gyn pharmacology lecture. Yay! I love emergency medicine and I love to teach, so it's exciting to be doing this despite doing the SAHM thing now.

Anyway, Sarah doesn't take a bottle. At all. I've tried a few times and she really just plays with it - could care less to try and drink from one, and I have never pushed the issue since I'm home with her all the time and there are no family or close friends around who babysit for us around here. I never pushed the issue...because why bother? But here is why I should have bothered, yes?

So I'm going to teach tomorrow. I emailed the coordinator and told her the situation - that I would love to come, but that I would be bringing Sarah with me because I breastfeed and Sarah doesn't take a bottle. I have an Ergo, a Maya, and a Moby, and Sarah is cool just hanging out most of the time in one of those (with breaks), so I will be wearing her tomorrow. The coordinator was good with that, so off we will go tomorrow.

Here's the thing. I secretly wouldn't mind having dh take Sarah tomorrow, complete with some EBM. First, I think it would be less distracting for me - and second, I would really really really really love for dh to see what it's like to handle two for just one day. Just one day. He rarely, rarely takes Adam alone for more than one hour or so, and I would dearly love for him to get a taste of my world for a little while. And I wouldn't mind a few hours all by myself. I remember being "childfree" just twice in the last 20 months (both before Sarah was born and only for a few hours), and I wouldn't mind a few hours to do my thing.

Sarah is such a great little person that I feel a little guilty about this - but after 20 months, I wonder if I'm ready sometimes to have a break once in a while. No, not wonder - I think I would like a break once in a while.

Dh is not one to volunteer "hey, why don't I take the kids for an hour so you can do abc" - and I am not one to ask, since he works all day -- and dear Lord, I know how repressed and 1950s that is and I hate myself for even admitting it because I thought I had a little more of a backbone than that! - but I guess I don't ask him and he certainly doesn't offer.

So, I will take Sarah with me tomorrow and we will be our usual good team - she is so cool about just hanging out and watching people and smiling at them and laughing and just being her great little self when mama wears her when we're busy doing something ---- and Adam will go with dh to Marquette for the day.

But sometimes I wish I could have a small break.

...heck, I've been writing a lecture all week after the kids go to bed, and I'm tired. I could use a nap now, but both kids need to be fed and dh will be late tonight so it's all me right now.... Sarah is busy being cracked up by Adam, who is doing something in the living room with her - I hear her laughing and I hear him going "No no no no no!" so I should probably go and check that out......... Off I go.

Love to all.

#102 of 114 Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 PM

Emily-there's nothing wrong with wanting a break-and you deserve one! Don't forget, you've been working all day too
E wouldn't take a bottle either-but what about a sippy cup or "real" cup??? Maybe in a little bit Sarah could do it, and you could have a break (even if it's just an hour or so initially!). GL! Have fun teaching tomorrow!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#103 of 114 Old 04-26-2007, 11:16 PM

Em, Thanks for helping me find this group again!

Hmm...My wish for you is that you find a way to take time for you and nurture yourself. 20 months without a break? Yipes. As someone else pointed out, you are working all day as well. I think it's time for you to take a 4-hour break and let hubby handle the kiddos. Get a massage, drink a coffee and space out in a coffee shop, enjoy eating a sandwich with two hands.

Men, unfortunately, do not read our minds. That means we have to make requests. And that is not something most women are comfortable doing. We generally wish men would read our minds, so we did not have to ask.

Well, honey, I ask all day long. Will you change O's diaper, please? Will you pack her lunch, please? Will you feed her dinner? My DH is great. I think he might understand how much easier it is to have the lunch packed the night before, because I've asked him to do just that several times -- and then we have an easier morning getting out the door.

Oh, I've been known to 'disappear' and let them do their thing. It's good for their relationship.

xoxo
henhao
#104 of 114 Old 04-29-2007, 12:38 AM

So I have to post... My lecture went great and they invited me back ... and told me to bring Sarah! They want me to do their emergency childbirth lecture - I am so excited. It went really well, and Sarah was a hit - she had a great time - no tears or sadness, and only one blowout diaper!

And I know this belongs in "The Office" thread over in TV, but it was particularly trying tonight when I was putting the kids to bed....and all I could think was "Lord, beer me strength."

Love to all.

#105 of 114 Old 04-29-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
And I know this belongs in "The Office" thread over in TV, but it was particularly trying tonight when I was putting the kids to bed....and all I could think was "Lord, beer me strength."
Indeed. Check out my sig.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#106 of 114 Old 04-29-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Love to all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Indeed. Check out my sig.
#107 of 114 Old 04-29-2007, 07:16 PM

"Lord, beer me strength."

I loved that! The office is the only show I watch regularly. Thanks for the chuckle.
#108 of 114 Old 04-29-2007, 11:48 PM

What about "Lord, give me beer"?

Ladies, I think we may have a graduate on our hands! Two weeks and only two pee misses! Does that mean she's "potty trained"?

In other news....A is starting to copy. I noticed that she was singing along to the radio the other day and I thought, "cool". Then on Friday I took her to L's gymnastics class and she was imitating all L's moves. Anyone else? It's sooo cute! We learned some new signs today:

train
green
blue
purple
red
berry

One of my fav things right now is driving by a construction site and having A see all of the equipment and just say, "Oh" with a look of sheer reverence on her face.

Hope everyone's weekend was good. We had fabulous weather here and I think yesterday wan probably one of the most perfect days of my life - out in the morning with my girls on errands, riding bikes to the Kinetics parade, lunch on the Panerra terrace, biking to the park, bar-b-q for dinner (which means G cooks) and eating outside in our new, large, lovely, green backyard. I truly do love my little life.

E - I think you really deserve a break too and should definitely take one if you feel the need. I'm only recently starting to feel the need for time away from A. Last week we joined the Y and their daycare rocks. One of the women who works there brings her son with her when she works and he just so happens to be born on the same day as A! And he was also born at home! I'm so happy to be working out again and A really does like the daycare for an hour or so.

I met a woman from my neighborhood (finally) a couple weeks ago and she invited me to a regular Friday get together last week with moms and kids. Three of the women there had two kids younger than A. It made me think of you, Emily and Nonny!

A is really struggling with bedtime right now. Anyone else? She's really becoming [I]manipulative![I] (I can't believe I just said that). You know, I've done everything right and we still have our struggles at bedtime. I soooo didn't want it to turn out this way - I really wanted bedtime to be a pleasure for her. I wonder where I went wrong?

#109 of 114 Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 AM

Kate! Let's hear it for A! Yeah! : : I definitely think she's a graduate - WOW!!!!!! You are so rocking awesome. Nice job, Kate!

Re: bedtime -- unless Adam is extremely fall-down-dead exhausted, bedtimes are becoming a struggle for us, too. I am honestly doing my best to make him so unbelievably tired lately - and I'm not even ashamed to admit it - in order to make our bedtimes easier. Thank God the weather is better lately. I took him on an hour-long hike this afternoon. He has begun tantruming (and I hate that word, but it's the only one I can come up with to describe what's going on) if he doesn't want to lay down and sleep...even when he's tired and we have just spent the last two hours going through our evening/bedtime routine.

And dh is gone for two weeks now, on a business trip. Lord, beer me strength! I prayed a lot for single parents today - it's difficult being the "only one" 24/7, and I know I've only got 13 days left to go without dh around. Blessings to those who do it all the time. Please pray for me and send me positive thoughts, mamas. I need patience! I have been feeling very not-AP today. We had three separate toddler melt-downs today and I wanted to tear my hair out. : Sarah just wore a worried expression all day. I think she was even tired of it. My poor little guy - hopefully a better week this week, yes?! I hope.

Sarah very nearly scooted forward on the floor the other day when she was laying on her tummy. Big girl! She is so funny - her newest thing is shaking her head back and forth as fast as she can with her eyes closed and going "eeeee!!" She absolutely cracks up if you do it back to her, and she'll keep going as long as you do! I do love this girl child!

Have a good night, everyone.

Love to all.

#110 of 114 Old 04-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Congrats to A with the potty learning! Yay!

DH moved our little trampoline into the front room, and it's been a hit with O for all that time. She likes to jump, and she likes telling us to jump!

Like Katie, I like my little life.

This past Sunday, we met friends for coffee at a coffee place with lots of toys for the tots and lots of space for them to walk around. After that, we went to this little park -- it's really an area covered with astroturf where they will put a building one day -- and kicked a soccer ball around. The asttrotuf was filled with families, teenagers, couples, little children. Fun! Then, we got burritos. O loves been and cheese burritos. (I've loosened up on the 'no cheese' rule I had.) Then, it was on to home and bed.

Katie -- The only thing I can think of with bedtime troubles is that maybe letting her know what comes next will be helpful. We had recent troubles with O -- not sure if it was manipulation or not -- and we had to seduce her back into loving bedtime. I think she was fearful of the drain, fearful of lots of things and then got over most of that. At any rate, I have found it helpful to say "2 more books" and "1 more book before night night."

On another note, I'm upset because a boy I'll call "x" hit O on the head twice while we were at the coffeeshop. I feel like I might lose a friend. The last time we were with them, X hit O once. O is now scared of X. I never heard his parents say 'no hit'. The mother did tell him to apologize but O did not want him to come near her.

He's 2 and weighs 40 lbs. The mother apologized and then rationalized that her son is rambunctious and that he pushes other kids when they don't 'engage' with him. Um, okay. Still not acceptable.

I will no longer be seeing these people as a family. I'll see her but not if her son will be near my daughter.

Other moms in my IRL mom group have said "my son gets hurt when X is around" and this mother just got mad and defensive. I am amazed she can be so blind.

Any advice on this?
#111 of 114 Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 PM

I'm sorry for everyone's bedtime struggles. Henry goes down fairly peacefully, but I'm right there with him in the dark, nursing/singing/laying quietly until he's out. That usually takes anywhere from 1/2 hour to an hour. Most of the time I'm fine with it, but sometimes I get a bit resentful, knowing that it will be almost nine before I'm up again, and then I'm too tired to do the stuff I need to do (i.e., pay bills). But I do enjoy our sweet time together in the dark, and I know it won't last forever. Plus I know I have it good compared to some as far as bedtime struggles go.

I've been experimenting with a gluten-free diet for me and Henry. It's been a week, though I messed up twice that I know of so it's not really a full week. I'm wondering if gluten-intolerance/celiac disease runs in my family -- there are some of the major symptoms. Plus DH's half-sister has celiac disease for sure.

Symptoms are anywhere from severe gastro-intestinal problems to general feelings of fatigue to none at all. I don't have GI problems normally, but I've been so wiped out and light-headed lately -- since Henry's been born, maybe, and for periods before that, too. I have other, minor, symptoms that I've had my whole life. Plus lack of menstruation/infertility issues are a major symptom.

(I did have my thyroid and some other things checked out a few weeks ago, and while I know blood tests aren't always reliable, I did have some pretty thorough bloodwork done.)

So...I'm thinking about spending the money for stool sample testing for me and Henry (my DH would not be willing to make the lifestyle changes, I don't think, even if he has it). And in the meantime I'm trying to cut gluten out for both of us and see if I notice a difference.

#112 of 114 Old 05-01-2007, 01:11 AM

Quick post before bed - I got more pics up! Here is a fun one of Adam and Sarah last week.

#113 of 114 Old 05-01-2007, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Quick post before bed - I got more pics up! Here is a fun one of Adam and Sarah last week.
They are beautiful!!!

I made the new thread!!!

Here!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?p=8000222
#114 of 114 Old 05-01-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Oh, they are gorgeous!

Off to sub to the new thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page