April 05! Our kiddos are 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 73 Old 04-01-2007, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I would start up our birthday month thread. How are all the mamas doing?

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#2 of 73 Old 04-01-2007, 09:50 PM

Hi, I'm new to the board, my dd turned 2 today! I can't believe it!

Dara Mommy to Gabbie (4/05) , Zachary (6/07) , and Simon (8/10)
#3 of 73 Old 04-01-2007, 11:10 PM

: Happy Birthday Gabbie and Sophie!!!! :

Welcome Dara00!

Here is our wonderful birthday list for the month!
Sophie (lalaland42) 4/1
Noah (mightymama) 4/3
Tenzin (ullabulla) 4/4
Laia (wombatclay) 4/5
Isabel (kelly1216) 4/5
Andrew (aezmama) 4/6
Byron (justvanessa) 4/25
Avena's DD 4/28
Samuel (alathia) 4/28
#4 of 73 Old 04-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Banned

Happy April everyone and Happy Birthday to my sweetie and Gabbie.

We had a good but slightly over the top party for Sophie and Michael (also an April Fools baby), sugary cake which Sophie smartly decided to only eat 3 bites of, and presents of course.

The funniest thing happened at the party. Michael's mom and I decided to have the kids open presents at home to avoid fights. About 15 minutes before the end of the party (we had it at a bounce house place), Michael was told that he had to wait until after the party for the presents, so he went around saying, "See ya later", "Time for you to go home now", "bye-bye". He was kicking us all out.

Happy April Fools Day everyone!

Next is Noah's birthday on the 3rd.
#5 of 73 Old 04-02-2007, 02:57 PM

Hiya alll...

Happy Belated Birthday to Sophie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday to all your Kiddo's...

I cant believe there all going to be 2... I can't believe Noah has only been alive for 2 yrs, I can't imagine my life w/o him...

We did a little family party for dh's side last night.. Noah was thrilled to have a "finding nemo" cake.. He could care less for the cake, but was thrilled he had a removable "dory & nemo" to play with...

As for his b-day tomorrow, we will actually be in Philadelphia. Dh has a work training meeting, and his boss is allowing Noah and I to tag along.. I've never been to Philly, funny as I was raised only 2 1/2 hrs from there. But I"m excited to take Noah to the Philadelphia Zoo..

But let me go, and start packing while I can.... I wish you all hugs, and kisses, and another year of adventure, smiles, laughter and plenty of love...........................
#6 of 73 Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 PM

Happy birthday happy birthday...happy birth day to us!

We had Laia's party on the 1st...a No Foolin' Birthday Tea Party. It was a blast but somehow the weekend seemed longer than any week. We made cream scones (from the Winnie the Pooh cookbook) and mini chocolate muffins and tiny shortbread cookies from the Raggedy Ann Tea Party book. Then we had a fruit platter with yogurt dip and a veggie platter with hummus. Oh! And little cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off. Then we also had clotted cream, lemon curd, and a half dozen fun jellies (including a blood orange conserve and a pomegranate jam). Stuff we never ever get. And of course tea. Lots and lots of tea! It was pretty easy to put together, not too expensive (the jams/creams were the most expensive but I think the whole shopping bill was around 40-50 dollars to feed 6 kiddos and 15 adults).

Oh and a friend made a rose shaped cake (with rose water flavoring it) so Laia could blow out candles. But since the cake had wheat, dairy, nuts, and eggs it turned out none of the kids could try it! So Laia blew out the candles and the adults nibbled the cake.

Laia dressed up in this really silly fun circus inspired dress (purples and greens and dots and stripes and big ruffles over the "butt" area and bows and, well, silliness) and a big black top hat thta kept slipping over her eyes. The other kiddos were wearing a range of dress up gowns and the two little boys...one actually showed up in a cordoroy jacket and the other wore a sort of ascot number. We had told people to dress as "silly tea party" as they wanted and I think everyone had fun.

Of course, I didn't have much "fancy" that fits my bump, but I did my best!

I think next year I might just declare a "birthday week" and invite each friend on a different day so I never again face an entire room of little kiddos running crazy on sugar and party clothes (not that there was a heck of a lot of sugar, but for kiddos used to nothing it was bonkers). Or maybe we'll do a "picnic in the park" party and let them run loose!

Have fun birthdays all....hard to believe it's been TWO YEARS! Ack! Where has the time gone?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 73 Old 04-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Banned

Hey mighty-mama, have fun in Phila. DH is from there but the three times we have gone since DD was born, we have just visited family. He says the zoo is huge so that should be fun. Let us know if you find anything else fun, DD and I are going alone in May.

Laia's party sounds great! I hear ya on the one friend a day thing, next year we are throwing Sophie in the backyard with some friends. The trick being having a backyard next year.

Happy Birthday Noah and Laia and Isabel and Tenzin!
#8 of 73 Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 PM

~~~~HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR WILD TODDLERS

not much time, I'll be back later but waanted to drop in and say Hi, hope all is well~ It's still crazy here! our wee new one is 4 weeks allready! and DD almost 2 Holy mother!!!

Blessings~
#9 of 73 Old 04-03-2007, 12:17 PM

: Happy Birthday to Noah!! :

Here's a song for everyone to play on their special day!

Oh, have any of you experienced the 2 y.o. DRAMA yet? My day is full of long harrowing sighs, cries and rolling eyes! I feel like I live with Scarlett O'Hara these days! :

Well, I think dh is more excited for Andrew's birthday than Andrew is! We're getting hooked up with some Disney employee discount tickets, so we'll spend the day and possibly night in Orlando. I'm a little sad not to be making Andrew's cake, but I might just make something before we go. DH has ruined the bulk of my cake pans, but I have a small round that I will probably use to make a bunny cake since it's Good Friday. I might also just make cupcakes, which will be much less tempting to me as I've lost about 7 lbs since last week.

Mighty-I wish I had seen your post earlier! One of my best friends is from the Philly area and could have had some fun suggestions for you. I've only been once-to Schwenksville, actually. Drove past it a lot on trips to Baltimore & Florida (before we lived here).
#10 of 73 Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 AM

HAppy Birthday Tenzin!
And Happy Birthday to Laia and my very own Isabel on the 5th!
We're having Isabel's party on Saturday at the hotel I work at. We're having a swimming time before the actually party starts, and then we're having a Sponge Bob pinata (Isabel's choice) and snack foods. Isabel picked out her own theme for the party, so everything is Soccer! dh is making a cake and is decorating it like a soccer field (green icing with white icing lines, just like a field). We managed to find soccer themed cake toppers so the cae will have little goals and a soccer ball and everything.
We were debating having an Easter Egg hunt, but I think that would be too much.
Then, after the party, we're going to an Arena Football game with another couple that Isabel adores. It should be fun!

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#11 of 73 Old 04-05-2007, 01:02 PM

Happy Belated Birthday Tenzin!!

Happy Today Birthday to Laia and Isabel!

I've lost dh and Andrew this morning, we were supposed to go to the zoo!
#12 of 73 Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM

Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#13 of 73 Old 04-05-2007, 01:35 PM

happy b.day everyone! we are having Gabbie's party on the 29th. My dh is busy with an EMT class so that is one reason for the delay, the other is the weather. We are holding it in a nearby park. hopefully that will work out! I can't decide if we should do elmo or nemo being that gabbie loves both!

#14 of 73 Old 04-06-2007, 03:00 AM

WOW!!!!
Happy birthday to everyone! Mama's too! It's amazing that it has been 2 years since our precious babies were born! : 2! Hardly saw that coming!
Tenzin had an amazing birthday week- it's still going! We had our Japanese party last weekend. It turned out better than I could have imagined actually. We made heaps of sushi, had Japanese snacks and bubble milk tea for the parents. We had 10 kids and their parents here, which I thought was a lot, but worked great. We had a train whistle and blew it and said a train was coming. then the train cake came out. We made a Japanese speed train cake (see pics on my blog) funny. I made the kids cake a sugar and allergy free vegan carrot cake, and the adults a very delicious and unhealthy carrot cake. looked the same : ) The big hit was the giant bubbles in the yard. I think the secret to a good kids party is keeping it short. I learned that on the first one. I had it set for 1.5 hrs, but it ended up being almost 2 when everyone was gone, which worked well. Tenzin got WAY too many gifts for his birthday- but everyone was respectful of our no plastic toy wish. He got a wagon and one of those really cool wooden bikes that doesn't have petals. He can petal, so it seemed weird to get one without. This one is for balance though. FUN! a wooden firetruck, helicopter, balance board (in lieu of a skateboard, which is what he asked for!) The list goes on. Thank goodness we have a preschool, and entire floor dedicated to children's things or I may start to feel that our house is inundated with toys. WHEW!
We also went to the zoo/aquarium on his birthday which he loved.
Now we will have his Waldorf birthday at school next week, and yet another Aries party when his grandpa comes up. (3 generations of Aries boys!)
Tai and I both have divorced parents, so we end up with a lot of visitors (too many acutally!) and too many gifts. We had every intention of keeping it simple around gift giving- that's out the window. There is no stopping the grandparents!
Tenzin is weaned now. I cried. He is doing well, and dealing with it by using humor. He put a cup up to my nipple and made a "shhhhh" sound, like it was filling up the cup. Today at trader joes he put a sticker on each boob where my nipples are and laughed. He doesn't ask for milk anymore, and I weaned him on March 20th. I feel like it went pretty well. wasn't expecting that either.
OH! last night he slept in his bed until he woke up well rested at 7:30!
It was a gift to me!
I'm loving 2 already. He is so sweet, funny, and just amazing.
at night when he says his blessing he says
"Bless Mama, Bless Papa, Bless Ruby (his bunny) Bless baby Kai (his doll) Bless Hawk, Bless Owl, Bless stick......
He just comes up with this stuff- it's amazing. I let him go on and on blessing all the things he wants to. I can tell it's going to be an amazing year!

Kisses to all the sweet 2 year olds,
2 Candles on your cake,
2 Kisses when you wake!

Tenzin LOVED getting 2 kisses in the morning!!!
#15 of 73 Old 04-06-2007, 03:23 AM
Banned

Happy Birthday Andrew!

Sounds like Tenzin had a great party. Aren't they sweet?

OK, I almost hate to ask but how many of you are still nursing? We are down to nursing 3 times a day (DD's choice) but I am sick of it. Now the AP police are going to come get me right? : I tentatively said that I want to wean DD in 6 months (we are moving in a month so I want to have a smooth transition) but I feel like a big meany. I also know someone who is still nursing her 5 year old and that just scares me. Anyone want to share?

Oh, and Sophie has started wearing undies to school but has stopped going on the potty at home. *sigh* This parenting thing just gets harder.
#16 of 73 Old 04-06-2007, 07:04 PM

Yay 2!!! We had a great day for Andrew's birthday-nice cool sunny weather and a day at the zoo! He had a blast-the 2 year old energy has totally kicked in! He was running everywhere, and of course did take a total nose dive, but after hugs & kisses was back on his feet! We had lunch when we got home and then birthday cake...and a faceplant into the cake! Here is a link to our photos of the day!

Wow Ulla-you have for Tenzin what I long for for Andrew: totally surrounded by friends & family on his birthday, punctuated by our loss last week.

Lala-I actually wasn't able to nurse (b/c of Andrew's cleft palate) and he only had EBM til 3 mos as I had a very low supply. You will do whats best for all of you, and the AP Police have to accept that!
#17 of 73 Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 PM

Happy Easter to all April Mom's and Babes!
#18 of 73 Old 04-08-2007, 06:28 PM

Lala,

I weaned Tenzin just before he turned 2. I live on Vashon Island which is very AP (which I LOVE!) but I feel like people have been giving me a hard time for weaning at all. Hey, I felt like 2 years was a pretty good go!
I want to get pregnant again, and I was loosing my own fat when I was pregnant with Tenzin. I didn't feel that I could nurse though my pregnancy this time. I also feel that weaning him has changed our relationship for the better. Snuggling to sleep has been much sweeter than the frustrating nursing, other side, other side thing we had going on. 2 years was perfect for us.
I do think though that I would wait until you move. Nursing helped him get though our move from Hawaii. It may be better to wait until she feels settled after the move. Too much change at once at this age might make your life even more difficult.
Well, time to go clean the house.
I hope all the birthday's are going great!
#19 of 73 Old 04-08-2007, 07:02 PM

we weaned awhile ago already because I wanted to get pregnant again. it worked!

#20 of 73 Old 04-08-2007, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Happy easter and happy belated birthdays to all I missed.
Byron is loaded up on chocolate now (thanks to the grandparents for that) but he went to his dad's tonight and it will all be put away when he is home tomorrow. 2 year olds do not need chocolate. He was suprisingly well behaved even though he was all revved up though
Well off to work!

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#21 of 73 Old 04-09-2007, 01:30 PM

Happy birthday to all (and happy "mama" days too!).

We still nurse and we're planning on tandem nursing come June...but we did night wean when I was about 2.5 months pregnant since it was just too much. I had NO night supply due to the pregnancy hormones and it was really really painful when Laia would try to nurse. And since there was no milk she'd wake all the way up and sssssccccccrrrrrrrrreeeeeeaaaaaaaaaammmmmmm! So, nightweaning was the way to go and it only took about a month (using a blend of the No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and the gradual weaning techniques from Kellymom, ending with three nights of cold turkey since I was sick in the guest bedroom!).

We nurse ~4 times a day when I'm working....usually a "good morning session", a "welcome home from work session", a "before dinner session", and an "evening session" as part of her sleep routine. They range from just a minute or two to a half hour or more depending on mood. On weekends or holidays she'll ask to nurse more often. And of course, any falls/bumps/trips/tantrums can be soothed away with a kiss and some "boom boom" as necessary. We don't NIP much anymore and Laia is pretty good about waiting till we get home...though again, if there's an "emergency" of some sort it's no holds barred!

My original plan had been to encourage weaning between 2 and three years, but with the new babe on the way my goal is shifting to weaning the NEW babe between 2-3 years, which means dd has the option to tandem nurse for that period of time as well. I think she'll slowly phase out the nursing on her own once the babe arrives, but I don't know. She's a big fan of colostrum (when my milk shifted to colostrum a few weeks ago she made a big deal of telling me how "yummy" it was).

I'm lucky though since my OB nurses her own 25 month old between seeing patients at the office so I've gotten a lot of great support for tandem nursing and nursing while pregnant.

I think that every mama/babe duo has to find the right balance for them. Although I believe that exclusive breastfeeding for at least 6 months and breastfeeding for at least one full year (better if it's two full years) is best, I know that that is simply not possible for many women for a whole variety of reasons (health or medical conditions, social or religious expectations, financial limitations, lack of support, etc). And I do think that weaning is a totally natural process that can be done with love and support...I'm honestly not a fan of child-led weaning since in many cases it I feel it just doesn't respect the needs of the mama. So the AP police are on their way for me too!

Not to mention...we vax. Which actually is AP (as in the parenting philosophy coined by the Sears), just not Natural Family Living (as in Mothering/mdc). So some day I'm sure I'll get tossed out of mdc on my vaccinated ear! Ah well...we all do what we can, when we can, and in the best way we can, right?

Happy happy happy birthday to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 of 73 Old 04-09-2007, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Lala-on the weaning note, I weaned Byron in Sept. when he was just about 17 months. He was already dayweaned from me working full time. I was working until 10pm then nursing 5 times a night and starting my day with him at 5am. It was too much for me. One day he asked to nurse and I offered him a snack and he never asked again. He was already having some bottles at night when he was with his dad, so the transition was so smooth that I was sad.
I don't know how long I may nurse any future babies, it might not be that long even. Hard to say.

Wombat, we selectively vax, and oh man do I get flack for it. He doesn't have the MMr or chicken pox vaxes. It seems like everyone vaxes up here.

#23 of 73 Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 PM

Wombat-we fully vax because of Andrew's health issues. We couldn't risk any infections when he had the PDA, and then of course around the surgery, etc. It's just something that I didn't have to think twice about when faced with the choice in our situation.

Well, I made it through today with minimal tears. Today is the 2 year anniversary of "The Incident." The night that Andrew turned blue in my arms (and began his stay at Club NICU), and for some reason I woke just as it happened.
#24 of 73 Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 PM

Hugs AEZ....Andrew is an amazing and wonderful and HEALTHY little boy. I'm so glad he's a part of your life and (through mdc) a part of ours as well!

We do a delayed vax schedule, and our ped is totally fine with it, and we research the bejeebus out of every vax...but...well...there are threads and forums here at mdc where I just don't go. But I'm sure that's true for just about everyone.

Another joyous April day (despite the never neding snow here in Ithaca!) to all our wonderful babes and a peaceful night to us all as well....

#25 of 73 Old 04-10-2007, 07:30 AM

Isabel pretty much weaned herself when she was 13 months old, right before she got her first tooth. Once that tooth broke through, she didn't nurse anymore. I actually miss it now. Especially wheneer she gets upset over something, I wish I could comfort her like that!
We fully vax too, but I admit that part of it was because I didn't realize that you didn't have to! I'll research more with my next (whenever my body decides to cooperate and get pregnant again!) and I have a feeling we'll end up with a delayed/selective vax thing going on.
I'm so glad we didn't have Isabel's party planned for outside! It's been in the low 30's for the past week and a half at least! We got Isabel a "big girl" bie for her birthday, but we have it hidden in dh's trunk until it gets nice again. She loved it when we showed it to her, but I'm not ready to have that in my house!
If anyone is there yet, How's potty training going? If I put Isabel on her potty 1st thing in the morning, she'll pee, but other than that, it's kind of slow going. I think it's mostly lack of consistency on my part. I told her once she's potty trained, she can get a pet, whcich she seemed excited about, so we'll see how it goes!

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#26 of 73 Old 04-10-2007, 04:22 PM

Kelly-I was just coming to see what everyone's doing about potty training. I ordered our potty for Andrew's birthday so I'm just waiting for it to arrive. His Nana bought an Elmo potty dvd and board book for him, too, so we'll see how all that goes! I'm going to try putting him down when I go to the bathroom, and in the morning. He's great at trying to get his pants down, and quite interested in what's going on in the bowl....
#27 of 73 Old 04-10-2007, 04:28 PM

AEZ- Laia looooves that Elmo's Potty Time dvd! :LOL My mom borrowed it from the library and dd watched it over and over. Not that it did much to encourage Laia though. She will now mention (when following DH or I to the "potty") that "Baby Elmo potty ALL the time" but when we ask her if she'd like to sit on her potty as well she usually says something like "No! Laia wears diapers. Elmo use potty." like we're some kind of idiot.

Sigh. I'm sure she'll catch on at some point, but it's sort of a two step forward one step back thing. Some days she wants to sit on the potty, others she want to sit but only with a diaper on, and some days she wants nothing to do with it! I think once it's warmer and we can do some "nekkid time" it will help.

#28 of 73 Old 04-11-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
AEZ- Laia looooves that Elmo's Potty Time dvd! :LOL My mom borrowed it from the library and dd watched it over and over. Not that it did much to encourage Laia though. She will now mention (when following DH or I to the "potty") that "Baby Elmo potty ALL the time" but when we ask her if she'd like to sit on her potty as well she usually says something like "No! Laia wears diapers. Elmo use potty." like we're some kind of idiot.

Sigh. I'm sure she'll catch on at some point, but it's sort of a two step forward one step back thing. Some days she wants to sit on the potty, others she want to sit but only with a diaper on, and some days she wants nothing to do with it! I think once it's warmer and we can do some "nekkid time" it will help.
I love that she says that! That's great! Isabel got some sort of potty dvd, but I can't remember which character it is. Hopefully that will help! WE're listing our house soon, so I don't know how much nakey time we'll do, I don't have a carpet steamer, and I can see that getting messy!

#29 of 73 Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 PM

The potty & DVD came today. I got the Boon potty, which also doubles as a step stool so Andrew can reach the sink to wash his hands...sort of. Even with a step, he's up to his armpit at the sink.

I put the DVD in, but the baby Elmo part confused him a bit. He was good about sitting down on the potty when I sit down at mine, but no tinkles yet! He's still fascinated by the potty itself, so I think once he's comfy he'll be good. I might bring it out for him to sit on when watching the DVD. Not sure yet. I've been giving him some more nakey time, so we'll see how it goes. He's still in love with his penis, so there's still a lot of running, stopping, checking in with the penis going on!

Are there any kiddos out there still with a very limited vocab? I see how everyone's got talkative kiddos, but Andrew still is a grunter/whiner. He does go through a whole bye bye thing with people since he's gotten addicted to Teletubbies and they do a whole bye bye thing at the end. Now, I just have to figure out how to get a few more words out!
#30 of 73 Old 04-12-2007, 04:41 PM

Okay....DH isn't home yet and I HAVE to share.

My mom has really been encouraging dd to sit on the potty (the little red baby bjorn one we have downstairs, not the toilet topper/step stool combo we have in the bathroom). Anyway, when I got home from work dd was wearing cotton training pants and running all over the place...there'd been one solid attempt to poop in the potty and one tiny wetting accident. But dd was stoked!

So, shortly after my mom left dd was in the kitchen with me when she suddenly burst out with "Water spill out my hiney!". There she was in a spreading puddle of pee with a big grin on her face...she waddled over to the poty and sat down to "finish" but it was just hysterical!

She has a little frog toy she plays with in the bath that we've sort of been using to demonstrate potty time ideas...it has a hole in the bottom and you can squeeze water out of it's bottom as a result. Anyway, it's hard to get it all out and sometimes it will "pee" even when not in the tub. DD will clean up after it and usually say something like "Ooops! Water spill out the hiney" so to hear her apply it to herself was just priceless!

This is one of those things I'll save till she's 14 or 15 to embarass the heck out of her

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page