April showers bring... Nov '05 Mamas!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 221 Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Kavita, guess what??

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#62 of 221 Old 04-05-2007, 09:39 PM

Eeeeks! Are you going to KY, Amy?????? YAYYYYY! Please say you're staying in the midwest! Time to start planning a camping trip!
#63 of 221 Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourney View Post
Eeeeks! Are you going to KY, Amy?????? YAYYYYY! Please say you're staying in the midwest! Time to start planning a camping trip!

AWWWWWWW yeah!!!!

DH had the interview with the big company in Louisville today, and they called him not two hours later to let him know they are preparing an offer, and they will have it to him by Wednesday if not sooner!

YAY!! THE JOB HUNT IS OVER!! Which, in itself, is fabulous - but on top of that, DH loves the job and the people, and we are really really happy about L'ville! We are just so relieved and happy!

So Kavita, we are going to be moving right around the same time as y'all! We'll probably be there by mid-May.

Get your campin' gear out, girls! (And Noah!)

#64 of 221 Old 04-05-2007, 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=Kavita;7758631(p.s. the bananas are an oblique reference to the wedding night! : )[/QUOTE]

OMG snort, snort

Amy and Kavita, I am so jealous!! That is awesome!
#65 of 221 Old 04-05-2007, 11:37 PM

CONGRATS AMY & FAMILY!!!!

I'm so flipping excited! L'ville is only 2-2 1/2 hours away from here, you guys! YAAAAAY! I'm jealous you two (Amy & Kavita) will be in the same city as each other!
#66 of 221 Old 04-06-2007, 01:22 AM

Yay, AMY!~! That's so great. I'm glad that your family doesn't have the job search hanging over you anymore... and SO glad that you'll be close and in a place you WANT to be! WOO HOO!
#67 of 221 Old 04-06-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Happy Wedding Day Kaspirant!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
HAPPY WEDDING DAY KASPIRANT!!!!! I hope everything goes smoothly and you post your beautiful pictures soon!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Kaspirant, HAPPY WEDDING DAY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Kaspirant, I hope your day is brilliant
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy25 View Post
Congratulations, Kaspirant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourney View Post
CONGRATS KASPIRANT!!!

Hope you have a magical day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
: Kaspirant!
i hope that it was everything that you ever dreamed of and more..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post

Kaspirant!!!! Hope you had the wedding of your dreams, and best wishes for a long and happy married life!

(p.s. the bananas are an oblique reference to the wedding night! : )
All your wishes came true!! The day was magical in every aspect. DS was such a trooper. I have no pictures *YET* because though I took my camera with me...I was chasing DS everywhere and was unable to even hand off the camera at any time. Between our photographer and her assistant...they took 4GB of pictures which they are estimating to be nearly 1500 shots. We get all of them on CD in 2 weeks. The waiting will seriously kill me.

Our families got along well enough together, and there were some friendships formed.

The rehearsal dinner *we didn't really have a rehearsal, it was just a BIG PARTY at Dave and Buster's was a HIT and everyone had a blast.

We had a *wishbook* where everyone tosse a penny in a fountain and made a wish for us. They wrote th wishes down and sealed them in tiny envelopes. We saved them and intend to open them on our 10th anniversary. That is gonna be fun!

So all in all...it was worth it all and I'm MARRIED!!! YAYA!!!

PS Kavita..my DH is Jewish...so you know those bananas were well warranted

We had a baby sitter come to the hotel for the wedding night. It was neat to have alone time...but it was seriously hard for me to put DS down to sleep in bed and then go to a different hotel room. I got over it quick enough It didn't last though, It would have been the first night of DS's life that the 2 of us didn't sleep together. At 2:55 in the am, the sitter calls us. I go down to their room and DS is crying *stilll sound asleep* and has his arm down her shirt. He didn't want to let go of the death grip he had around her neck so that I could have him back. So apparently we do still nurse in the middle of the night quite a bit and DS still needs that

No problem here. DH understands and I had to wake up more to go get him than I ever do when he's asleep next to me. I'm so glad we co-sleep

I should be sleeping. However, when the powers that be have played a joke on us and when we pledged : "in sicknes and in health", it was decided that we'd practice that one right away and DH has an insane high fever and chills and is insanely sick. So I'm playing nurse.

Thank you all for the well wishes!!! Sorry for the crazy disjointedness of this...It's the middle of the night and it's been CRAZY around here :
#68 of 221 Old 04-06-2007, 06:39 AM

yeah oops.

That last post was me .....I didn't realize that DH was signed in. So that is my DH....hehe my husband :

Yay for all the good news I read from all. Kentucky sounds like the happening place. We are still hoping for St Louis the summer of 2008, but if the party is going to be in Kentucky....

*hugs* to all the mama's who are hurting and struggling. i will get more personal now that things are going to settle down around here but I love you all and I'm sorry that there is so much struggling with sleep and food and emotional journies.

PS I'm a married woman
#69 of 221 Old 04-06-2007, 08:41 AM

Awwww, Alicia! I'm so happy it went perfectly for y'all. HUSBAND! Isn't it fun to say?

Hi Miajean, welcome to our group! You've joined us at a time of lots of big changes, if you haven't determined that already!

So sometime this summer we have plan a get-together for our family, Kavita, SoulJourney, and Spiritmomma! Does anyone else live within a 2-hour radius? I think that will be all of us Midwesterners. Oh, and Alicia, you should come to L'ville too!!!

#70 of 221 Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy
So sometime this summer we have plan a get-together for our family, Kavita, SoulJourney, and Spiritmomma! Does anyone else live within a 2-hour radius? I think that will be all of us Midwesterners. Oh, and Alicia, you should come to L'ville too!!!
Yay! Now we get to be as cool as the Pacific Northwesters! I'm looking forward to meeting you guys IRL!
#71 of 221 Old 04-06-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritmomma View Post
Yay! Now we get to be as cool as the Pacific Northwesters! I'm looking forward to meeting you guys IRL!
Hee hee, that's one consolation of moving! I thought I was going to have to move to either to BC or the east coast to have any chance of ever meeting up with anyone in our DDC! I think I'm the only one of us even remotely close to the southwest!

Amy, since you feel like you're not achieving anything productive toward your move since the military will pack/move/unpack you, I will graciously offer to help you with that feeling by letting you help me unpack!

Are you guys thinking of buying or renting?

Here things are going really well right now. We were up until 4:30 am the other night painting the hallway, but we got it done. We got the photos done of our house Monday, and yesterday morning we got the video tour done, so now we are all set with that and can relax a little and start planning our upcoming trip to Louisville. Obviously we still have to keep the house clean and presentable, but I think that a person dropping in or showing up to view a house without a lot of advance notice isn't going to freak out because there are some toys out or a few cheerios dropped on the floor, but I don't need those things immortalized in photos or a video tour available on the web! And most of the major items (landscaping, painting, repairs/upgrades, etc.) are done. (Although the sheet rock guy repairing the ceiling that the plumber fell through has been sick, so we're three days behind on getting the ceiling repaired. Ugh!) So far one buyer has come to look at the house with her agent, and two agents have come to preview the house, one is going to bring her clients by on Sunday. So there is some interest, and everyone has been really favorable about the house and how well it shows. Our realtor is awesome. She's really on top of things and aggressive about getting things done in a timely fashion, so that's great. And she is generally being very helpful and supportive--even though she doesn't have to be there for the video tour, she came over so she could help get things in place if needed. She's in her early 50's and her kids are grown, but she was an AP mama and she had three kids under three all at the same time (a boy then twin girls) so she understands how freaking difficult it is to do this stuff with a toddler around!

Also, yesterday I went to the dentist and got these permanent crowns put on. I'd had to go earlier this week, I was having continuing throbbing pain and my gums in that area were getting more and more inflamed and I was getting a nasty taste in that area and thinking I was maybe getting an infection--turns out that it was the cement on the temporary crowns leaching and irritating the gum tissue and teeth. I had started some warm saline rinses, and that helped, but now it's feeling even better now that the permanent crowns are on. I still need some adjustment to my bite, and I am really sore from the (about 10!) shots needed to numb me enough (I am strangely impervious to normal amounts of novacaine--you could numb an elephant with the amount I need to really make dentistry pain free!) and also just from the work, and from having bitten almost through a chunk of my cheek because I was still numb several hours later and we were invited to a dinner party at my friend's house and I went ahead and ate even though I probably shouldn't have.

So that's the news here!

Kaspirant, glad to hear the the wedding day (and night!) went great! We can't wait to see pics!
#72 of 221 Old 04-06-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, kaspirant!!! I'm so glad your wedding was wonderful. That's awful that your DH is sick now though. Oh well, at least he didn't get sick BEFORE the wedding!

Kavita - silly teeth.

Now I want to move to Louisville too . Amy, I'm so jealous you've got the job hunt thing all over and done with. DH and I had a preliminary discussion about that last night but - ugh - he is SO indecisive and he's thinking of taking a part-time research position for the summer while he contemplates what to do... I SO don't want to stay in this house, it's way too small, too cluttered, too falling apart, too noisy... ARGH!!!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#73 of 221 Old 04-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
Now I want to move to Louisville too .

Well, ya know what they say, Louisville is the new Vancouver!
#74 of 221 Old 04-07-2007, 01:06 AM

Except hotter! A lot hotter.

Congratulations to all of you with moves, pregnancies, tv appearances and weddings. Man, you're a busy bunch. Can I get your website again, barcelona? We might come out to NYC to visit this Fall, by the ways. Yay! I miss the city.

In response to the earlier question: our family eats a lot of soy. Emmett's favorite drink-dessert is soymilk. Of course, we're very comfortable with the gender-bending effects... Bwa ha ha. Actually, it's just not something I worry about. I've read the research first-hand and feel very comfortable with my children consuming soy - one study said that soy consumption in the teen years dramatically reduced future cancer risk. So I guess I'm golden in that category, 'cos that's all I ate as a teen. MAN, those Vancouver veggie hot-dog vendors can sure put a burn on my waistline.

Fern, regarding the picky eaters, have you read anything by Ellyn Satter? Put one of her books on hold at the library and see what you think. She explains the whole toddler-preschooler picky stuff and how to work with it. Basically, she says that a toddler typically needs to try a new vegetable about 20 times before really liking it. So they might put it in the mouth and spit it out, no biggie. By preschool years, there are some different strategies. We've put some of her ideas in place in our home and are totally wowed. Emmett's serving himself his own food and seems much more game to try everything.

Spughy, I don't know how much for sure exercise has to do with sleeping well. I mean, it helps, but there's only so much you can do at this age, really. I know it's frustrating. But even if she went to daycare, she might start sleeping poorly from a new childcare situation due to separation anxiety, or parents who are financially stressed to pay the childcare, or what have you. It's always somethin'. But I still say the ticket is nightweaning + cosleeping = ahhhhhhhhhhh, everyone sleeps. So nice. Can you do this now (nightwean), consistently, rather than some nights she sleeps with dad and sometimes with you? I wouldn't worry too much about her weaning completely, as long as you offer milk when you get home, on weekends, for a big morning nurse-a-thon.

I wanna move too, waa. I want a real house instead of a townhouse. Too bad all the houses in my desired area cost a half-mil. Too bad, indeed.
#75 of 221 Old 04-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
Congratulations to all of you with moves, pregnancies, tv appearances and weddings. Man, you're a busy bunch.
wait.. did i miss something? who is pregnant??????

thanks for the book suggestion and words on picky eaters..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#76 of 221 Old 04-07-2007, 12:39 PM

ngaio just brought me her potty and said "help!" and i helped her take off her diaper and shes pooping!
usually i have to watch her and see when she is going to go, but lately she has been going into the bathrom and trying to put the seat on the toilet. sometimes we gte it in time, sometimes no. this is another big step. woohoo!~ i cant wait till she is 100% potty using.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#77 of 221 Old 04-07-2007, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

FSM - I'm not quite willing to nightwean Rowan completely, but we've instituted a new "no boobs after midnight" policy whereby I nurse her when she wakes up around midnight and then swap places with DH and he sleeps with her in the bed and I sleep on the couch. I would love to be able to cosleep with her and actually sleep, but I just can't do it. I don't sleep, I only doze, and I feel like total crap the next morning and my mental capacity is severely diminished. I just can't afford to do that. So DH is more or less cosleeping with her and she still wakes up 4 times a night. But, I think a lot of the time she's waking up because she has to pee - a bunch of times I've felt her go when I've picked her up at night and last night DH picked her up and was holding her and she leaked out of her diaper. I have no idea what to do with this information. Help? Anyone?

Fern - awesome on the pottying!!!

I am starting to feel aging happening in my body. It is just not bouncing back and feeling all happy about the workout yesterday. Uuuggghhh. Getting old sucks.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#78 of 221 Old 04-08-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
wait.. did i miss something? who is pregnant??????
Ah, I was just covering my bases. I'm sure that by the end of April SOMEone will be pregnant! BTW, we're coming to Vancouver again next week.

Spughy, well, that's cosleeping in my book, if your husband is sleeping with her. How long has he been consistently doing that (none after midnight), on weekends and every night, without break? Maybe if you do the no milk after midnight mixed with the nightweaning strategy of telling her when she can have milk again (i.e. light, morning, 5 am, whatever), or maybe you already do that?

Yes, the curse of EC is the midnight pee. I usually don't take him unless he signs for it, which indicates that he just can't go back to sleep and is being kept awake by his bladder. Or he's trying to trick me into getting up. One of the two. He likes to do that. He also likes to sign that he has to potty when we're on the freeway. And then we'll find a place to go, and he goes only a teeeeeeny tiny bit. Hm. Does she have a sign for potty? A lot of non-ECd kids also get very interested in the potty between 15-18 months...
#79 of 221 Old 04-08-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
Ah, I was just covering my bases. I'm sure that by the end of April SOMEone will be pregnant! BTW, we're coming to Vancouver again next week.
lets see.. zjande, helen and me!!?? thats wishful thinking i know.. but it could happen! in a perfect world.

ooh.. cool! we should get the kiddos together again. too bad mel is gone now sarah, come visit again so we can see the 3 babes together!!

Quote:

#80 of 221 Old 04-08-2007, 01:07 AM

Guess what??? We got an offer on our house and it's in escrow right now!!!!! : :

I'm so excited. It's only been on the market for five days, and the second person who looked at it fell in love with it and made an offer four hours later!!! And she is an awesome lady! And she's been looking for a house here since September . . . I just felt when she was here that she was the right person for my house and I was sending vibes into the universe and it happenned!

Whoops, baby awake and crying, gotta go!!!
#81 of 221 Old 04-08-2007, 10:01 AM

Kavita, HOORAY!!!!! That is wonderful! I know that must really take some of the strain off of you and your family!!

As for nightweaning, I had totally forgotten that was an option. I was thinking about fully weaning the other day, just because nights are so ridiculous. I was planning on waiting til 18 months though, which would be June 3rd. But nightweaning, now that's a good idea!!! I tried it (partially) last night; around 5:00am I told her that milk was sleeping, and she just cuddled with me and played with my hair until she fell asleep! Not even a protest! So that was encouraging. FSM, do you have any suggestions or tips? I think I might go over to night-time parenting or breastfeeding and see if there is any advice over there, too.

So Spughy, NCSSfT isn't working? I was also going to say, regarding job hunting....it was a really hard time for us. I'm just glad it was only ~3 months of our lives. Whenever your DH gets into that phase, I will totally be here to support and cheer you on, empathize when you need to vent, etc.

Fern, that is so awesome about the pottying!

We are going to church today, per DH's request (I'm not really big into the whole Christianity thing), but it's FREEEEEEZING here - literally. I think it's about 28 and snowing. So much for hunting easter eggs!

#82 of 221 Old 04-08-2007, 11:21 AM

I would just refer to the Jay Gordon website on nightweaning; and my friend had much success with telling her daughter that the milk was asleep and needed to get sleep to make milk in the morning/when it's light. The biggest thing is to be consistent and not go back and forth with sometimes nursing, sometimes not. Just - not. If that's what you want to do. And once again , even though SOME people insist that your child might wean altogether if you nightwean, that hasn't been my experience or of anyone else I know. They won't wean in the day unless you want them to.

My personal guideline is when he's got all his big teeth in (waiting for cuspids right now) and can understand "morning" or "light". Although, if we're having a one-hour nurseathon that's driving me insane, I will sometimes tell him now that the milk needs to go night-night. I will usually just hold him and rock him and he'll go back to sleep.
#83 of 221 Old 04-08-2007, 11:30 AM

So many congrats are in order!!!!

Amy, Congrats!!! How wonderful that you all finally know where you are going, and that the stress of the job search is OVER!

Kavita, Congrats!!! Another sigh of relief for you, having your house sold. And what a nice feeling that the woman is so nice.

I'm jealous of you two, and the midwestern clan of mamas, getting to play together. I think I'm the lone-lorn NorthEastern gal of the group...
And Vancouver mamas, have fun! FSM, come visit me in NYC when you come!

Kaspirant, I'm so glad your wedding was so beautiful, smooth, and lovely. I hope your DH is feeling better! Cannot wait to see pictures. By the way, maybe your DH is relaxing after months of wedding plans and anticipation? My DH got very sick with a high fever one week after our wedding, on the last day of our honeymoon. We also joked about putting those vows straight to the test.

Fern, congrats on the potty-using!!! How's the move coming along?

Spughy and Amy, I'm sorry nights are still so hard.

What an eventful group we are. I love it.

Hope you are all having either a lovely Easter or lazy Sunday

Hugs to everyone.

ps--I'll post my website when it's ready. Still much work to do.
#84 of 221 Old 04-08-2007, 11:33 AM

I forgot to mention, Michelle, that I looked at your blog recently, and laughed, because Finley does the EXACT same thing, calling me MOMMMM.
Our boys seem to have a lot in common.
#85 of 221 Old 04-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Wow, Kavita! How exciting! I hope our house sells as quickly! It went on the market Thursday afternoon, was shown once on Friday, and twice on Saturday. I was pleased with that, especially since our agent told us not to expect much this weekend since its a big holiday weekend. She told us that she's been really busy lately and she seems to think it will sell pretty quickly, though.

Happy Easter, everyone! Ellie was the belle of the ball at church this morning in her Easter dress. She's so cute.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#86 of 221 Old 04-09-2007, 11:26 AM

Someone please put me out of my misery!! I'm seriously considering drugging my child so that she will sleep at night.

OK, maybe not *seriously*, but I do kind of daydream about it. I started partial night-weaning last night, and it didn't go too badly. Well, the weaning part didn't go too badly; she still woke up 6 or 7 times. : And we stuffed her like a Christmas goose (with food) right before we went to bed!! The first few times she woke up, she didn't even ask for milk, so that was reassuring. It was really easy to get her back to sleep by holding or rocking her for a minute or two. I finally nursed her around 3:00, and then again at 5:30. But I feel like dogfood this morning. I can't handle this anymore!!!!

I'm not sure how we are going to do it, but I think it is time to start thinking about moving her into a bed in her own room. We are moving in exactly a month, so I am on the fence about whether to start getting her adjusted to sleeping on her own here in this house, or to wait and just make all of the changes at once. I really wouldn't mind if she slept in the same room with us, but that would be contingent upon the night-weaning having some success...and we'll just have to wait and see about that.

FSM, I am totally not worried about her day weaning - I really doubt that is going to happen!

Barcelona, I finally got to watch your show. You were awesome! It was so fun to see you!!

#87 of 221 Old 04-09-2007, 12:20 PM

It seems like lots of people have different opinions about sleep. I see sleeping through the night as a developmental milestone very much like crawling or walking. They will do it when they are ready and not a minute before. In my dd's case that wasn't until she was much older then many people would be comfortable. She still nursed every 2 hours around the clock until she was over 20 months. By the time she was 2 years old she was waking 1-2 a night. Rather then fighting with her and have a child up screaming for hours at a time I just went with it. I stopped discussing sleep aside with anyone other then a select few people. When she went to bed I would take maybe a half hour to an hour of me time to recharge some nights and other I just fell asleep with her. I also napped with her in bed for an hour or 2 most days. Until she was 2.5 years old my dh was gone for weeks or months at a time for work so I just made things work for us. It was a very rough time and until she was sleeping longer I could never have imagined why anyone would want more then 1 child, but it does get better with time. I also had a much better sleeper this time around. I put Joseph to sleep in our room laying down on our bed usually with the tv on. It frequently takes a half hour or more of nursing and wiggling and snuggling to get him to sleep. Then most nights there is a trip to dd's room to read and sing to her before she goes to sleep, but if things with Joseph are taking too long and she gets tired she will just lay down and go to sleep on her own. Either when I go to bed or shortly before I'll move Joseph across our room to his toddler bed. Most nights around midnight to 1 am Joseph wakes up walks across the room and crawls up the bed to eat and snuggle up between dh and I. There is usually at least 1 more wake up in there before we get up for the day and it's not unusual for there to be 2-3 . Of course there are also nights when he never wants to be moved to his toddler bed and just stays with us or wakes up every hour on the hour. I still think of his sleep as being normal for his age. I also frequently doze off with him for a half hour or so in the afternoon when I put him down for his nap. Prior to that I set dd up in her room with books or something else to do and some odd days she even rests on her bed while I'm getting him down.

On the fun side of things Joseph has discovered one of the joys of being a boy. He was standing next to the sink bare butt playing in the water. The running water made him need to go and he started going and was starting to get down off the edge of the shower to get to the toilet. As he was getting down he noticed and ant on the floor. Stopping what he was doing he had another leak which landed right near the ant. The ant didn't want to get wet so it scurried away. Joseph thinks chasing the ant around sounds like a good idea and proceeds to attempt to pee directly on the ant. I don't know or really care how good his aim was at getting the ant as I had a mess to clean up. I really thought I'd have a few more years before he got up to stunts like that! He's also having fun attempting to do some of the OT games I am working with dd on so it will be interesting what comes of that. He already appears to have more hand strength and dexterity then she does.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#88 of 221 Old 04-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Amy, if you really want to nightwean, I found these tips to be helpful (from different places, I didn't make them up)

1) If I was going to nightwean, I wouldn't nurse at 3 am but instead at a predefined time of day - i.e. when it's light out. You can't go back and forth, because it confuses them.

2) They're gonna freak out. They will cry. But you can hold them, love them, provide them with nonnursing comfort. It will really just take a few days. They aren't alone, you're right there, holding them. Like Gordon says - they're mad, but they're not scared. I would do it on a day your husband can help you catch up on sleep the next day and make sure you guys can take a nap together in the afternoon.

3) At the same time, don't get all spun up during the night, because I think it stresses them out. Like, trying 4 different things and getting anxious and panicky, and switching the babe back and forth all night. It's easy to get like this with lack of sleep. And angry. I found it helpful to have a mantra-type saying, I.e. "milk is asleep, we'll have milk when it's light" that helps calm you down and gives you a one-size fits all sentence. If I found myself getting all stressed out, t'd take some very deep breaths and remind myself that it's only for a little while.

4)I wouldn't personally mix nightweaning with moving to a new room at the same time, only because it could increase her anxiety about being away from you or sensing distance, which tends to make them waaaaay more clingy in response, setting up a bad cycle. I see the fact that you want her to be in another room that maybe you're feeling resentful and wanting space and trying to find a way to do that? Maybe? Or do you typically not like touch while sleeping - i.e. no snuggling? Some people don't.

Here is Dr Sears' page on nightweaning: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070800.asp

I think some people have a harder time of it. For me, the breaking point was when I just COULD NOT even conceive of nursing one more night without being very angry and resentful the next morning. I'm totally not there yet (he only woke up twice last night - yay! I think it's because he's getting sick - blah!), but I do dream of a sleep-filled night. I also take a short nap most afternoons, so that helps in the meantime - are you napping, Amy?

Kristina, I so wish I could hold on like that. I personally know some mamas with kids still nightnursing through the night at age 3 and 4. Dude, those mamas deserve like Gold Medals or something, I couldn't do it.
#89 of 221 Old 04-09-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Amy - I know how you feel. I'm sleeping on the couch now while DH sleeps with Rowan in the bed after midnight. It's working pretty well - she's completely stopped crying when she wakes up at night now, she just snuggles back into DH and goes back to sleep. She does still wake up though, but he is much better at sleeping with her than I am - he actually wakes up rested in the morning. So I think we will keep doing this. I start the night with her so she gets one more boobie session in around 11 pm -midnight though, because otherwise I don't think she gets enough milk.

Not that I like sleeping on the couch though. I think we are due for a king-sized bed and then I will probably be able to sleep with the rest of the family!

s_kristina - peeing on ants. . I know it probably wasn't fun to clean up, but you can tell that story to his friends when he's 15 and that'll be a good time.

FSM - when are you going to Vancouver? I might just pop over if it's on a weekend. It would be great to see you and Fern again.

#90 of 221 Old 04-09-2007, 03:32 PM

This weekend!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page