April showers bring... Nov '05 Mamas!!! - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 221 Old 04-29-2007, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have so so so much to catch up, though I have been reading along almost daily. It has been so nice to check in with you all, though I have not been posting. This has been an extraordinarly hectic and stressful time, and I will write all about it, but for now, I just wanted to share my new website, where you can see my clip from TV from a few weeks ago:

hillarybaack.com (and then go to video).

Also, congrats to the two pregnant mamas!!!! How very exciting.

And Helen, hugs to you...

And Amy and Kavita and Fern, happy moving!!! We are moving, too...part of our news.

So that is all from me right now, but more will come soon.

Oh, and we're also part of the mamas who can't pee alone club
#212 of 221 Old 04-29-2007, 03:02 AM

Wow, barcelona, you were great in that clip! Totally natural, believable, you looked great! I sincerely mean it, not just blowing smoke up your ass. Because 1) that would be uncomfortable and 2) what would the neighbors think?

Your birth story video also looks very interesting, from what I saw of it.
#213 of 221 Old 04-29-2007, 04:13 AM

That was great! I wish I'd gotten to see the whole episode! DH also thought it was awesome. You struck a good balance between nice, maternal, communicative with the police, with just a twinge of creepy thrown in there too! (Like that a hearing baby is a ticking time bomb, but that this baby is never going to leave you b/c she's deaf . . . yikes!)
#214 of 221 Old 04-30-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
That was great! I wish I'd gotten to see the whole episode! DH also thought it was awesome. You struck a good balance between nice, maternal, communicative with the police, with just a twinge of creepy thrown in there too! (Like that a hearing baby is a ticking time bomb, but that this baby is never going to leave you b/c she's deaf . . . yikes!)
I didn't think that was creepy, just sad. (The whole episode was about Deaf culture and how some Deaf people view other Deaf people who *want* to be hearing as sort of traitors... pretty complex issue, I think TV always dumbs it down a bit for the ignorant masses and probably exaggerated some parts of it (barcelona am I right about that?!?!))

Anyway, we had a really nice weekend. Yesterday the weather was beautiful and we got out for a family hike at Mackenzie Bight. It was SO nice to get out in the woods and just meander around, and show Rowan things like bees and butterflies and streams and little crabs... and let Daisy, our dog, splash and play in the water and chase ducks (no fear of her catching them, and they didn't seem unduly traumatized). It's been so long since we've had a family outing like that, like probably close to 6 months, since I went back to work and DH started the final push to get his thesis done.

And it looks like we've managed to nightwean with no effort. It just sort of happened. Saturday night I was so tired when I went to bed that when Rowan woke up in her crib 10 minutes after I nodded off, rather than cuddling her until she fell back asleep and then putting her back in her crib after 5 minutes like I usually do, I tucked her into bed with me and went back to sleep. 5 hours later, she was still asleep, but starting to get wiggly, so I traded places with DH. Rowan slept the rest of the night through. Last night I didn't even bother sleeping in the bed. DH slept in there, Rowan woke up from her crib at 1, cuddled in with DH and went back to sleep until 7. So I'd say she's pretty much ok with not nursing at night now! It's a few weeks earlier than I'd intended, but she definitely seems ready for it so that's all good with me.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#215 of 221 Old 04-30-2007, 06:20 PM

I have just spent a while running in e-circles and tele-circles trying to get my canadian taxes done before the deadline tonight. But since my printer is broken and I can't get the confirmation code to change my address to enable telephone access and am trying to speak to a "real" person like all of the other million procrastinators, I am for the first time ever going to be late filing my taxes. My inner perfectionist is having a conniption right now. Oh well, at least they owe ME money, not the other way around : This has very little to do with toddlerhood, other than the amount of time that being a mama consumes that would otherwise be spent obsessively meeting deadlines. Bless my daughter and her learning to be chill teachings

Sarah, tell me you aren't planning a 50-week pregnancy and that your new siggie means something wonderful! And congrats on the night weaning/sleeping through success.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#216 of 221 Old 04-30-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Sarah, tell me you aren't planning a 50-week pregnancy and that your new siggie means something wonderful! And congrats on the night weaning/sleeping through success.

No, it means I'm trying to lose 50 lbs, and have so far managed 3. It is very hard to lose weight SLOWLY. I'm great at losing weight quickly but that's a big no-no when you're nursing. I put the ticker in my siggie so I would see it every day and not be tempted to do things that would make me have to update it the wrong way.

Where is everyone today??? It's all quiet in here.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#217 of 221 Old 04-30-2007, 06:44 PM

I'm here! I'm trying to get a million things done for our upcoming move to LA (which I haven't even shared or explained here yet).

But I wanted to pop on and say hi, and thanks for the kind words re: law and order. I definitely did not agree with my character (about the hearing baby is a time bomb waiting to go off), nor the writer...definitely dumbed it down, and I felt tried to cram into too many deaf issues into one episode. You are right, spughy, on your observations. And it is sad, both the existence of the resistence in the deaf community to deaf people living different ways with different abilities and skills...and also sad how the entertainment industry tends to portray the community in this light. I felt the episode kind of made it out to be this underground angry world. Very silly. But ah, what can you do? The one thing they did do right was to cast all deaf actors in the deaf roles. (Unlike Babel and The Good Shepherd, the latter of which I almost got).

Sigh..
So much to do, so much to say, so much to share.

spughy, good luck with losing weight. It can be so hard. And congrats on the nightweaning! Finley has significantly cut down on his night nursing on his own, so that is nice. It's nice to see the milestones come naturally.

good luck wrapping up the taxes, MelW!

And, fsm, if you know of a theatre in your area that might be interested in Birth Story, let me know. I'm always trying to get it up and out...and love to travel.

K, that's all from me for now, but more soon!
#218 of 221 Old 04-30-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I didn't think that was creepy, just sad. (The whole episode was about Deaf culture and how some Deaf people view other Deaf people who *want* to be hearing as sort of traitors... pretty complex issue, I think TV always dumbs it down a bit for the ignorant masses and probably exaggerated some parts of it (barcelona am I right about that?!?!))
I just thought the way she looked at the baby and said, "She'll NEVER leave me!" with that little happy smile was kind of creepy--not so much from a Deaf culture perspective (I know just a smidgen enough about Deaf culture to know that there is such as thing, and that there are a lot of things I don't know about it!) but just from a mother/parenting perspective. As a parent you are supposed to want your kids to leave you someday. Even though as someday you don't want them to ever grow up, that's your job as a parent, to work yourself out of a job and to raise kids who grow up to be competent and independent adults who can take care of themselves and will go off and live their own lives. Of course I'm sure just as we now look at our little independent toddlers running all over the place and we wonder where our tiny Nov 05 newborns have gone, we'll cry our heads off when we take our babies to college, attend their weddings, see them have their own babies, etc. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't want that for them, and that we should raise them in a way that fosters their dependence and keeps them from with us at the expense of their own lives. And that she (the character) seemed to see the baby's deafness as something that could keep the baby ever dependent on her and closed off from those other experiences in life (at least in that scene that's how I interpreted it, I didn't see the rest of the show) and that she was so happy about it, I felt was kind of creepy and sad, both. But then again, I have codependent mother issues, so maybe I'm reading into it too!

barcelona, I had to laugh too, because one of my first reactions was, "Hey--Finley is a ticking time bomb!" Yeah, shows like that always give a very superficial and dumbed down treatment to whatever serious and complex issue they put in as a subplot. I don't remember if you've mentioned it, but is your DH deaf too or is he hearing? One of the craziest births I've done as a midwife was for a deaf couple having their sixth or seventh baby. Let's just say, it is from them that I formed a loose policy/philosophy that could be described as, "Don't encourage a grand multipara to stand up at 8 cm or above!" She got the first urge to push while standing next to the bed, and I could see from her face that the baby was there, and before me saying "Let's get her onto the bed" was interpreted to the dad, her water broke and out came the entire baby!
#219 of 221 Old 05-01-2007, 12:11 AM

barcelona: Wow! You were great! You seemed so natural... also, your inflection was superb. You speak beautifully... and you are beautiful too!

So many things are going on right now for me. I have been seriously considering getting a part time gig slinging coffee at the 'bucks. My girlfriend and her husband are both store managers and just moved to Indianapolis from L.A. I know I could work for one of them. It could provide my whole family with health insurance benefits as well as giving me a much needed opportunity to miss Isa.: I feel like if I missed her, I would be more present with her when we're together. Maybe getting a job isn't the best answer to that, but I have other options too. My MIL watched Isa on Saturday night so that Joshua and I could go see a movie. Isa had a blast. We dropped her off asleep : and I was nervous she would wake up pissed that we weren't there. But I guess after a few minutes of minor confusion, she realized she was at Gigi's house and got busy getting spoiled! She even ate a popsicle!!! I think MIL has the same policy as my mom: What happens at Nana's, stays at Nana's. Either way, all I know is that she had a great time, Joshua and I had a great time, and now I feel comfortable leaving her with someone else, knowing that she's fine. It's nice to feel that sense of freedom, even if I don't use it often.
I hope everyone's week is getting off to a great start. See you all soon!
#220 of 221 Old 05-01-2007, 09:07 AM

It's funny, I'm running myself in circles trying to find support for a mummy of a deaf baby. Isn't synchronicity funny sometimes?
My week has been spent chasing after other people's toddlers, and trying to deal with mamas of toddlers who insist on acting like toddlers (ok, preschoolers) themselves. No excitement, apart from dealing with Skye's approach to potty training. (poopy nappy? go get potty. Naked bum, need a wee-wee? Go get nappy...) I know that if we keep going the way we are now, the next big growth spurt will probably bring us nappy-free living, but still... I'm not ready for my baby to grow up.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#221 of 221 Old 05-01-2007, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Beltane, everyone!

Spiritmomma, I think outside-the-home work is highly overrated. But I didn't have a whole lot of choice, I had to go back to work, and I am envious of all of you who get to stay home with your lovely babies. But, if you want to work, you totally should.

It is a dull, grey day here and I am bored at work already and it is only 10:15. Sigh.

Everyone think encouraging thoughts to my DH so he finds a job FAST. I SO want to quit.

ETA: We need a new thread!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page