April showers bring... Nov '05 Mamas!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok everyone, here's your April thread! And a link back to the old one.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#2 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Well my mom claimed that she'd tried to calm Rowan but that Rowan screamed at her and ran away from her. Which is entirely possible. So I guess she was feeling just a bit put out and rejected when she said that Rowan needed to have more tantrums. I let it go. I see my mom so rarely that it's not worth bickering with her when she's here.

I didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night but Rowan did ok. She slept from 1 to 7 straight through, although she was whimpering and tossing and turning quite a lot which kept waking me up. So I traded places with DH and slept on the couch, where the dog kept me up whimpering and tossing and turning. She's going to the vet this morning, poor thing has some sort of UTI or anal gland impaction or both.

I'm just going to suck back my coffee and try to struggle through another day of work on very little sleep. I wonder how long it will be before people start to notice I haven't been very productive lately.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#3 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 01:52 PM

Its a beautiful day here today! Sunny and 80 degrees! I bought some new shorts at Old Navy, and actually found some that aren't so low-rise that they show pubic hair, so I bought two pairs. The last three years I've either been pregnant or less than a year post-partum, so now that I'm me again (!) I'm out of shorts that fit me and had to dip into my old college clothes. And while I'm happy to be that size again, I really wanted some new shorts that would fit, too.

I've got all kinds of laundry out on the line and am trying to figure out where to take the kids this afternoon that will be fun. Today is DH's birthday, so I'm making a pineapple upside down cake for dessert, after we go out for pizza for dinner. Its a happy day! Sadly, its supposed to cool off and only be in the 50s the rest of the week, but we'll enjoy today!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#4 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 02:58 PM

It's gorgeous here too. And I mean gooo-HOR-geous! Gotta love days like this.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#5 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Just thought I'd say that I'm still alive. I'm really busy with the therapy/dealing with crap stuff. I can hardly take care of regular life but I think of you guys all the time. I started Zoloft last week and am looking forward to feeling better so I can start getting things accomplished again. And work towards healing.

So, I'll be reading. I'm always reading.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#6 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 03:13 PM

QoC! Your family is beautiful!!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#7 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 03:14 PM

I was going to do a multiple quote thingy from the last thread, but since we're on a new thread, I can't...
SO
I agree on all fronts about running your child into exhaustion. That's been my strategy since we began weaning. Many a day is spent like this:

5am morning nurse
7am wake up for the day
8am breakfast/ pack the bags/ get us both dressed
9am get into car

This part involves Park/ Children's Museum/ Playgroup

2 or 3pm Get back into car, Isa is asleep inside of 5 minutes.
5pm she wakes, she snacks, we play, play, play, then eat dinner around 6:30 or 7
Play, Play, Play some more... bed time around 9pm

I make sure she is running unobstructed for at least 3 hours before her afternoon nap. Then I make sure she is actually TIRED before trying to get her into bed for the night. When we put her to bed by the clock, it goes poorly. When she's rubbing her eyes into pink-ness, it takes a lot less time.

Today has been wonderful. Despite the fact that I realized my driver's license expired in February on my birthday. And that the license plate on my car expired yesterday.... Isa fell asleep in the stroller instead of her car seat. And we've been outside quite a lot. On Saturday night, Joshua and I removed all the screens from our "screened in porch". Now our porch is open and breezy and wonderful. And now Isa can swing a lot higher in her swing! We also have spent quite a lot of time in the yard and taking walks in our neighborhood today, as I am trying to avoid getting pulled over with not one, but TWO expired licenses. Wow. Things are really slipping my mind these days. Spring fever!
#8 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 03:17 PM

well it snowed here last night. its friggin freezing and totally weird! 2 days ago i was out in a tank top digging the garden and sweating and now im shivering and feeling sick.. we have all had the stomach flu or norwok virus or something in the last week.. its horrible. ngaio threw up for 12 hours straight and on just everything.. i did about 8 loads of laundry in the past few days.. im tired of this winter stuff.. i want summer. NOW.:::

ahem. sorry for the rant.

i realise i havnt been here much.. i guess ive been busy and trying to ween my addiction to the computer since we wont have one when we move or at least no internet in our house..
i still havnt had more work on my tattoo since i didnt want to spread sicky jerms to matta and her babe, so im getting kinda bummed about it.

today is my gramas 85th birthday!

off to take a nap..

love you all.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#9 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 03:20 PM

Sunny day here too I have a line full of nappies drying in the sun (or at least, I had) and Skye and I were playing out in the garden.
Hrumph. Only 19 sleeps to 30

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#10 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 03:21 PM

Wow, how many cross-posts? Fern, Bex, love you too. But Fern- no internet? We'll miss you

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#11 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 03:25 PM

Fern, I hear you on the weather thing... I don't have TV so I haven't heard this straight from the weather man, but someone said it's supposed to snow here too. Hmmph. I hope that's not true. My sinuses could use a break.:
#12 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 03:44 PM

ill miss you too! but there is internet at the library and at MIL's house, so ill be around probably as much as i am now

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Wow, how many cross-posts? Fern, Bex, love you too. But Fern- no internet? We'll miss you

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#13 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex80 View Post
QoC! Your family is beautiful!!
Thank you! I took some amazing pictures of the kids the other day - here they are!

Well, I'm having a lady clean house tomorrow, then hopefully get the carpets cleaned on Wednesday, and the real estate agent will come out this week to measure and take pictures and then the house will be listed! Woohoo! (I think I'm going to go throw up.)

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#14 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM

Hi Bex! Thanks for checking in, mama. I hope you're doing better

Helen May your 30s be an amazing decade. And very, very fertile.

QofC~ Your kids are beautiful!

We're having a nice day here, too, after a bit of a dreary weekend. I'm slowly getting my garden ready, but would love to have a free afternoon to spend digging in the dirt. Alas, I'm off to work in a few minutes!

spughy~ I hope the rest of your mom's visit goes smoothly. It amazes me how parents can behave and feel so judged by their children's decision to parent differently than they did. I hope you find peace with her.

Fern~ Lots of healing vibes- and sending some sunny weather your way, too. I'm really ready for summer, too.

Neela is now at the will not shut up stage of toddlerhood. I love it! Today we went out to buy a birthday present for her dad, and she talked to herself the whole way to the store in the carseat "Neela funny. Laughing. Hahaha. Driving. Store. Shopping. Present. Dada." etc. Then later in line at the post office she found stuffed animals and made all of the noises to entertain the people in line (including "monkey. loud. screaming.") and then lifted her shirt, was horrified that "button missing" until I helped her find her bellybutton. She then nursed a stuffed dog "dog. nursing milk."

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#15 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 06:16 PM

Wow, it has only taken me this long to figure out how to bring over a multi-quote from the other thread. Geez. I need some sleep.

Quote:
Susannah- yep, you're right, that was the announcement. And everyone else missed it But I started bleeding right when I should have anyhow, so things obviously weren't meant to be :
helen- i'm sorry. i remember feeling really really upset when my period showed up when we were TTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Susannah, isn't it the worst!?? I was telling DH, I never had PMS this bad before I had Brynn! And then I was like, well, yeah; I wasn't sleep deprived then, either, and I could also get away and be by myself when I needed to, or just zone out and watch TV, read, etc. I told DH we need to have a strategy for next month so that I get some relief *before* things get so bad!!
umm. yeah. sleep deprivation. i'm feelin' it! and being by myself? i've got that today. didn't go to work because i nearly fainted getting ready to leave the house this a.m. - DP was surprised i wanted time alone while i am home instead of having keagan crawl all over me.
and of course about 20 telemarketers called during the hour and a half i was trying to nap. no joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex80 View Post
Just thought I'd say that I'm still alive. I'm really busy with the therapy/dealing with crap stuff. I can hardly take care of regular life but I think of you guys all the time. I started Zoloft last week and am looking forward to feeling better so I can start getting things accomplished again. And work towards healing.

So, I'll be reading. I'm always reading.
i HATE dealing with crap stuff! good luck to you

Quote:
Sunny day here too I have a line full of nappies drying in the sun (or at least, I had) and Skye and I were playing out in the garden.
Hrumph. Only 19 sleeps to 30
helen, we'll see you through 30. it'll be good

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#16 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
then lifted her shirt, was horrified that "button missing" until I helped her find her bellybutton.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#17 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Seriously Helen, I LOVED 30. My life became 100000000% better my 30th year. So I hope yours does too!

Bex, glad to see you back to say hello. I hope things keep getting better for you.

Mel, that is *hilarious*!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a day with Brynnie.

I have two questions for y'all. One, do you worry about/limit the amount of soy your babes eat? Brynn LOVES the soy "sausage" patties and the soy "chick'n nuggets" but since reading that article in Mothering a couple of years ago (and then hearing about other peoples' experiences) I am a bit wary of letting her eat it every day. How do you feel about it?

Second, I was going to just PM Fern but I will ask all of you, do you know of a good herbal PMS remedy type thing? I'd like to try something but have no idea what to look for. Thanks!

#18 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have two questions for y'all. One, do you worry about/limit the amount of soy your babes eat? Brynn LOVES the soy "sausage" patties and the soy "chick'n nuggets" but since reading that article in Mothering a couple of years ago (and then hearing about other peoples' experiences) I am a bit wary of letting her eat it every day. How do you feel about it?
I do worry a bit. We don't have any non-fermented soy in our regular diet at all. However, if we go out and tofu appears on the table, I will let Rowan eat it if she wants, I'm not hard-core on that.

It's not just about the phytoestrogens, though, it's more about the packaged-ness and all the added chemicals and fillers and whatnot for me. I'm not trying to make you feel bad for feeding Brynn that stuff Amy - honest!!! You have to give kids what works for you. I just never buy the stuff to try - and I wouldn't - but I wouldn't buy packaged "real" chicken nuggets either.

#19 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Second, I was going to just PM Fern but I will ask all of you, do you know of a good herbal PMS remedy type thing? I'd like to try something but have no idea what to look for. Thanks!

evening primrose oil?! it works well for me, i think.. sometimes i think i have permanent PMs.. or im just really pissy these days.:

and on soy.. i feel a bit the same was as sarah, though we do get the green label mandarin pressed organic tofu once in a while because i love it in stirfry and tofu samwhiches.. every once in a while, mostly on road trips, we will get some veggie dogs or something but i too worry about the processedness and packaging as well as the nutritional stuff.. i think everything in moderation is ok.. mostly.. some things i wouldnt reccomend.
But if it was my kids favorite and they would eat it i probably would give in sometimes.. both my kids are now very picky eaters.. it makes me want to bash my head sometimes.

Quote:

#20 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I just never buy the stuff to try - and I wouldn't - but I wouldn't buy packaged "real" chicken nuggets either.
I know! I think about that all the time too - like, OK, if I don't want her to have soy, what's the alternative? Tyson chicken nuggets? No thanks! Just for the record, I did drive 30 minutes to the whole foods store the other day and bought organic free range pork sausage, *hoping* she'd like that as much. No such luck of course! They didn't have beef sausage though, so I will wait til our farmers' market starts up again and get some from the local Amish farmer and hope she likes that. So I guess I should just buy some fresh chicken and fresh sausage, cut it into nuggets, cook it up, and then freeze it. Would that work?

#21 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Amy I found this article which I thought was actually quite good: http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/pms-relief despite being from a very mainstream source. Especially the calcium-magnesium thing... I think a lot of women are pretty deficient in the cal-mag. A good dose of a hearty broth-based soup made from real bones would probably do you some good. (If you're not vegetarian - are you vegetarian? If so I apologize... and a good dose of pills or coral-based cal-mag liquid (which I have never been able to stomach) might be in order )

#22 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 10:14 PM

Hi y'all! Just popping in for a quick hello since I haven't posted in FOREVER. I was looking for the March thread when I realized, DUH, it IS April now! : March was a hellish month for us...Noah was REALLY sick for eight or nine days (So I know how you feel Fern!), I was sick, Noah's dad came to visit and turned his world upside down (10hrs/day, 3 days in a row is TOO much for Noah, for the record), we moved in with our wonderful mama friend (MDC and IRL) who is newly single and I have been house/dog sitting for my sister. WHEW. Crazy month. : But, on the bright side, it HAS been beautiful and Mr. Noah and I have spent an amazing amount of time outside. I've been walking/jogging/rollerblading/riding every day that it's nice! He's starting to finally be OK with the bike trailer, which is a really good thing!

Bex80...good to see you around, sister! to you, you know you always have us to lean on!

Fern...When Noah vomited for twelve hours I gave up and kept him naked on a towel the entire time.

Helen...I agree with Amy, 30 was incredible for me! I love my thirties much more than my twenties, no doubt.

Ok, mamas, Noah is currently throwing EVERYTHING down the stairs so it's time to redirect my attention!

Miss you guys!

#23 of 221 Old 04-02-2007, 10:53 PM

I'm late to a Passover seder, so I'm just popping in to say hi and sub!
#24 of 221 Old 04-03-2007, 03:45 AM

Amy, did you have problems with PMS before you had Brynn? What I'm finding, and have done since I was pregnant with Skye is that I have extreme mood swings when I'm not getting enough omega 3's in my diet- and epo is my preferred method of getting those into me because of the whole skin thing. Because Brynn's still dependent upon you to provide the essential fatty acids she needs to help her brain grow, as well as you needing those efa's to help your brain grow and keep you sane and on top of things, I'd try it. I like the idea of calcium and magnesium, but I don't know if popping pills would be the right way for me to go at this time of my life. How about a nice cup of raspberry leaf tea instead?

#25 of 221 Old 04-03-2007, 03:53 AM

Quote:
I know! I think about that all the time too - like, OK, if I don't want her to have soy, what's the alternative? Tyson chicken nuggets? No thanks! Just for the record, I did drive 30 minutes to the whole foods store the other day and bought organic free range pork sausage, *hoping* she'd like that as much. No such luck of course! They didn't have beef sausage though, so I will wait til our farmers' market starts up again and get some from the local Amish farmer and hope she likes that. So I guess I should just buy some fresh chicken and fresh sausage, cut it into nuggets, cook it up, and then freeze it. Would that work?
OK- for the nuggets. Cut some chicken into strips across the grain and let it marinate in yoghurt for a few hours. I hear butterilk is better, but it's twice the price over here. Drain it off and dip in egg and breadcrumbs (I use ritz crackers, ymmv) Place on a baking sheet and open-freeze and then transfer to a freezer bag. Add spices at every stage of the proceedings as desired We use cumin, coriander, black pepper, thyme and oregano. Bake in the oven for a while until properly done.
I have never met a child who won't eat sausages, so can't help you there.

#26 of 221 Old 04-03-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
Well, I'm having a lady clean house tomorrow, then hopefully get the carpets cleaned on Wednesday, and the real estate agent will come out this week to measure and take pictures and then the house will be listed! Woohoo! (I think I'm going to go throw up.)

I'm totally with you there sister! We have been working our butts off with the whole house situation. The people who have been supposed to come and get work done have been generally flaky/not showing up/behind schedule when they do show. With the result that now I am on a pretty intense deadline--we are already listed as of yesterday, they will put up the sign tomorrow or the day after, we got the pictures taken and loaded this morning, we are having someone come to do a virtual tour thingy on Wed or Thursday, and then we have our first open house on Saturday. We are mostly ready, but the hallway that was supposed to be painted on Sunday, wasn't, because the guy who was supposed to do it went out and got drunk Saturday night and didn't show up until 3 pm and then did one or two other things but not that. So now I guess we'll have to figure out when/how to do it ourselves. Meanwhile I am having either some tooth infection, or a sinus infection, or both. I'm supposed to have my permanent crowns put on this Thursday--don't know if that's going to happen given the situation with my teeth/gums. And then we're going to Louisville to look for a house on the seventeenth of April. :

Oh, a kind of funny thing happenned today. The sheet rock guy was here fixing the ceiling, and I went to put Ella for a nap and I was so tired I fell asleep nursing her. He left, and left the door unlocked. Meanwhile, my friend came over with her little guy who's Ella's age (I knew she was coming but thought she was coming a little later than she did) and she let herself in. So I woke up to hear an adult voice and then a little voice in the living room saying "mommy mommy mommy!" I figured that DH must have come home from work early, and that maybe he had taken Ella into the other room without waking me up. But then I looked down and there she was in my arms, still attached and sleeping away! Then there was this little "mommy mommy!" voice again from the other room. I was still so groggy I just couldn't wrap my brain around how Ella was asleep here with my boob in her mouth, but also awake in the other room calling me!! Then I woke up a little more and realized that it must be my friend and her baby! It was so surreal though!!

*Amy*--we tend to stay away from soy, for the reasons cited in that article. I'll feed her edamame sometimes, or miso soup and the bits of tofu floating in it if we are eating sushi or something, but that's about the extent of it. I'd actually rather feed her chicken nuggets! But I'm not veg either, so she eats lots of chicken, and she's a really good eater and not too picky about things generally. (Although she's getting pickier, and more opinionated about what she wants to eat, and how she wants to eat it and when. Like every morning she asks for blueberries first thing! And cheese. And she doesn't like string cheese--she wants baby swiss. ) Does Brynn eat eggs? I feel really good giving Ella eggs, we get the free range organic kind. How's the job hunt going for your DH?

Mel, that's hilarious about her missing button and nursing the doggie! Sooo cute! Ella's funny thing about the tummy is that we always play with her tummy and say, "oooh, it's so chubby!" So now she will rub or point to her tummy and proudly say "chubby!" I think she thinks that's what it's called, although until recently she would also say "tummy" too.

Bex, glad you're stopping in and it's good to hear from you! Sounds like you're doing what you need to do for yourself, I'm glad, and hope things start looking up soon!

SoulJourney, hope that April is calmer for you! Yay on the bike trailer! I think I want to get things hooked up somewhat so that I can bike again--either a bike seat on back, or a bike trailer. Do you have a little helmet for him? What do you recommend?

Spiritmomma, hope you can get everything renewed without incident!

Flapjack, sorry it didn't happen this month. But 30 is really young. Heck, I didn't even meet DH until I was 31, and I was 33 when I got pregnant for the first time. You are young and you have proven fertility and you have a lot of time. (Unlike those of us who are pushing 36, ahem!)

Susannah, hope you are feeling better after your yucky morning!! Do you know why you almost passed out? glad your DP watched the little guy so you could (try to, anyway!) rest!
#27 of 221 Old 04-03-2007, 07:23 AM

Thanks for all of your feedback about the soy - it really helped me solidify my thoughts on the whole issue. Yes, she is rather a picky eater, but I am definitely of the mindset that I only want to offer her foods that I feel good about letting her eat so that she doesn't get used to/stuck on something that I eventually want to remove from her diet. YKWIM? That is a great idea on how to make nuggets, Helen! Oh, and for those who asked, we're not vegetarian - especially Brynn! Nine times out of ten when we ask her what she wants to eat, the reply is: "MEAT!"

Kavita, Soul Journey, Fern, and QoC - sounds like y'all are going through so many transitions now and having a lot of stress in your lives. I hope this time passes and your normal routines can resume (or be re-created) soon!! I will be right there with you in a matter of weeks, though!

Spughy, thanks for the link to the article. I haven't read it yet but I will when my brain is a little more awake. : Speaking of awake, I can't imagine how hard it must be to get up and go to work and try to be functional after having nights like I know we do. I think that is my only saving grace, that I can get away with not being intellectual on most days!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita
How's the job hunt going for your DH?
It's going really well right now. He's in San Jose today (and yesterday) interviewing with a private school, which would be cool for me because then I could get a job teaching pretty easily, maybe next year when Brynn is 2 1/2 years old. Also, we'd be driving distance to my family (yay!). Then he comes home tomorrow and we drive to Louisville for an interview Thursday. He also had an interview in St. Louis last week, which he felt good about, and then he's got one penciled in for Friday the 13th (dun-dun-DUN!!) in Atlanta! I am glad he's got that one scheduled, but my hunch is that he will accept an offer from one of the other 3 before that one even happens...which would be bitter-sweet for me because I will be THRILLED BEYOND WORDS when this whole thing is over, but I still wish that we could move to Atlanta so that I could be closer to Melia and her family. So, I guess we'll just wait and see.

I'm starting to feel some minor panic about moving too. The military is moving us (for free, yippeeeee!!), which means they come and pack everything, move it, and then unpack on the other end...but it also means there isn't a lot I can *do* to make myself feel like I'm getting us ready. And, until DH accepts an offer, we don't even know the date that we'll be moving (our lease is up here on May 15th), so it's really like we're just holding our breath for the next week or so to find out what's going to happen in the next month to 6 weeks. It's crazy!!! The owners of our house are putting it on the market too - this week - so I have felt a ton of pressure to deep clean and make it look really presentable. Thankfully we took about a zillion pictures when we moved in, before Brynn was born, so the house was spotless back then. Actually when I looked at the pictures, I was like, "Wow, our house will never been that clean again!" and I told the real estate agent she should use those instead of taking new ones of what the house looks like now. So anyway, we've had to schedule the home inspection, minor repairs, blah blah blah. That's all annoying, especially in the midst of DH being gone so much. The house is a wreck!

Overall, though, I am excited about everything. It's just so surreal to think about how different our life is going to be by this time next month! I can't wait to find out where we are moving so I can start looking into apartments and/or rental houses (we're going to rent for a year, most likely), figure out the neighborhoods where we'd want to live, and get in touch with the other MDC mamas in that area. Which, can I just say - MDC has been such a great resource during this whole relocation phase! I have been able to reach out in all of the different areas that we're considering and I feel like I've already got a network! Kavita, have you been in touch with the Louisville moms yet?

God, I'm just rambling away here, aren't I?

#28 of 221 Old 04-03-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Amy, did you have problems with PMS before you had Brynn? What I'm finding, and have done since I was pregnant with Skye is that I have extreme mood swings when I'm not getting enough omega 3's in my diet- and epo is my preferred method of getting those into me because of the whole skin thing. Because Brynn's still dependent upon you to provide the essential fatty acids she needs to help her brain grow, as well as you needing those efa's to help your brain grow and keep you sane and on top of things, I'd try it. I like the idea of calcium and magnesium, but I don't know if popping pills would be the right way for me to go at this time of my life. How about a nice cup of raspberry leaf tea instead?
No, I didn't really have bad PMS before Brynnie. I do take a supplement, usually it ends up being every other day or so. I think it's EPO but I'd have to look at the bottle. Do you really think RLT would make a difference? I still have some left over from pregnancy (I used to drink it daily) but I don't really crave tea anymore so I haven't even thought about it.

#29 of 221 Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 AM

Kavita: I definitely have a helmet for Noah! I used to sell bikes & equipment for REI and another small locally owned shop. I was also an (pre-Noah) avid cyclist and beginner racer. Therefore, I have always been a stickler about helmets. Noah has a Trek helmet, which was around $30. The cheaper ones aren't as good and definitely do not have the adjustability, which means they don't fit as well, which means they are essentially useless. If you are going to spend time cycling for longer periods of time as opposed to just tooling around town, I would definitely invest in a trailer. The seats are fine for short distances/commuting around town but the trailers are infinitely safer and more comfortable. I am fortunate that the woman I nanny for purchased a two seater trailer for her son and mine, and she has a REALLY nice road bike that I can use. I talked her into a Chariot trailer, which is AWESOME. We have the Classic and it also doubles as a jogging stroller. Noah enjoys being in the trailer with some snacks, water and a book! He falls asleep in it easily, too! Hope that helps!

On the PMS note, I definitely am more *ahem* bitchy now that I've had Noah. It's probably just as much stress and such as it is hormones but DAMN. Does EPO really work? I think my sister should use it, too! The biggest thing that works for PMS and stress in general for me is exercise. It's seriously my drug. At the end of winter I actually took the online quiz for PPD and I fell into the range of needing to seek therapy! : I have NEVER in my life felt like I was even close to depressed until this past winter. Thankfully, the weather cleared up just in time and I am now exercising five days a week on average and I feel so close to my old self it's silly!
#30 of 221 Old 04-03-2007, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

SoulJourney, I am envious of your exercise. I have to plan and be super-efficient with my time in the morning to even get a 20-minute workout in at lunch. I miss exercise. I miss it so much. I miss having a healthy body. And on the amount of sleep I got last night, I can't even contemplate exercise. I'd dissolve.

Mamas, I need help. Yesterday Rowan was, as usual, at my IL's all day. DH totally believes me that exercise is the key to getting her to sleep better, but he's unwilling to ask his mom to change anything she does. She takes Rowan for a long walk in the afternoons IN THE GODDAMN STROLLER. She likes it. Rowan tolerates it.

I didn't get much sleep last night. Rowan was up every hour or two after 1 am.

I am on the verge of crying at my desk. I am SO tired. I feel sick to my stomach. I just wrote DH an e-mail threatening to put Rowan in daycare if he & his parents can't get it together to get her outside running around for 2-3 hours a day. He'll probably be all pissed off about that. I don't care. I can't handle it anymore.

Should I go through with it? If they won't take her outside to play for as much as she needs in order to sleep, should I really put her in daycare? I'd have to take a few vacation days to get her used to it but it might be worth it. Opinions?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page