should I shorten his naps? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-15-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ds just turned 2 and clearly still needs a nap, however, most nights it takes me about an hour to get him settled to sleep. today he skipped his nap and was pretty cranky by 4:30 or 5:00, but then, at 7:00 it was a quick 20 minutes to zzzzzzz! so, even though i don't think he should forgo all naps, is it o.k. to wake him after, say, an hour? he usually napes 2 hrs and sometimes a bit more. does the old rule of never waking a sleeping baby still apply to a toddler?
#2 of 12 Old 04-15-2007, 11:57 PM

We're going through the same thing here!
In our case though, Dd gets up at 7:30, does her thing till 1-ish, then has about a 1.5hr nap. We usually start bed time routine by 8, and it *still* takes about an hour to get her to sleep!

On the other hand, when she gets up early, say 6:30, she's ready for a nap at 11, then falls asleep for the night at 7:30-8, its great.

My problem is is that I hate getting up that early, and even if she did get up at 7:30 instead, making her miss a nap means I have to entertain a very cranky kid by myself, without any break, till bedtime. Not a great option either.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#3 of 12 Old 04-16-2007, 12:46 AM
Banned

We transitioned out of naps around 2. It was a difficult and exhausting process. Getting him down for a nap took an hour and then after he slept for 3 hours it was dinner time and we were up forever! It is really great the days my son doesn't nap because it's so easy to get him to sleep for the night but after 3 or 4 he's not good for more than a video or when he was younger, a stroller walk. You may want to let nature take it's course. We napped 3 times a week for a while then once every 10 days. He had totally given them up until he started day care and got on their schedule. And, yes, it makes it hard to get him to bed at a decent hour because he has napped. Most of the other kids are up really early so they do need that nap. My son wakes around 8-8:30 and then goes down for a nap at school around noon. He probably doesn't need it at that time but just follows the group.

The one thing I will say directly answering your question. Don't shorten the naps!!!! If my son was awoken early, not by me but by a dream or a sound ect... he would just cry and fuss for the remainder of time his nap would have been. I'd often go in there and crawl in bed with him at the half way point so he would go back to sleep if he woke up. It's great if you want to lie down. The only problem is I pretty much had to stay with him to keep him asleep after that.
#4 of 12 Old 04-16-2007, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the responses, anyone else? really curious about this!
#5 of 12 Old 04-16-2007, 06:26 PM

I have the same problem. Ds wakes up at around 8:00 to 9:00 am, then goes down for a nap around 1:00 to 2:00 and sleeps till 3:30 to 4:30! Then he wont go to sleep till 10:00, and that is after an hour of trying to get him down. Dh is getting sick of this schedule. But the thing is, even if he doesn't nap, he still wont go to bed before 9:00, he's just always been really tough to get to sleep. The thing I've started doing is opening his door after a certain time. It used to be 4:30, but I think I'm gonna bump it up to 3:30. If I just open his door and then go about my day, watch TV, make noise, whatever, then if he's ready he'll wake up, but if he's not he wont (he usually wakes after 5 or 10 minutes in a good mood). That way I don't get a really crabby kid on my hands. Also, make sure that the room he naps in isn't dark, it should be bright enough for him to know that it is daytime.
#6 of 12 Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 AM

We went through this same thing a few months ago. The more *I* tried to change his sleep/nap schedule the worse things were for him and for me. I finally decided to let it go and let him do what he needed to do...if that meant take an hour to fall asleep -fine. Within days he was going down easily for naps and bedtime, albeit still too late at night for *me*...but with no struggles on anyones part. I don't know if it was me giving up *my* expectations or if he just outgrew the tough to figure out nap/sleep part of growing up.

He is a much more pleasant kid to be around with his 2 hour nap though. I'd encourage you to roll with how life is now and I'd bet within a few months things will be brighter!

JoAnn Married almost 12 years to DH Chris.  DS1 01/05 DS2 09/09 DS3 05/12.

#7 of 12 Old 04-17-2007, 12:56 PM

DD is 2 1/2. She usually wakes up for the day by 6:00 and is in bed by 7:00. She still needs a nap, but we are sure to wake her up by 4:00 if she's still sleeping. She usually goes down by 1:00 or 1:30. The key is to have her up again by 4:00 or else bedtime gets goofy and then everything just goes to heck, lol! This weekend I put her down at 1:00 but didn't fall asleep until 2:30. I went in and asked her a few times if she wanted to just get up and she said no, but when 4:00 came I woke her up and off we went.
#8 of 12 Old 04-17-2007, 01:06 PM

My grandson has a horrible time with naps. It seems like he sleeps ALL the time. While I sleep .....never, it seems.
Up at 6:30 naps at 9-9:30. Up at 11:30 plays good until 2:30 naps until 4:30 and is ready for bed at 7 we keep him up until 10. He sleeps until 12, up until 1:30 or 2. Sleeps until 3, up until 4-4:30.

Nights seem to be the worst. He really wants to be up. Not to play but he wants to be held on the couch and rocked.

Stay at home, spinning, weaving and general crazy life Nana Christy
#9 of 12 Old 04-17-2007, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I agree with Vicitoria about not shortening the naps. My DS rarely naps anymore, he stopped taking naps right around 2. If he does happen to fall asleep, though, and I wake him up before he was ready then I have one cranky, irritable little guy for a while afterwards. Usually the only time he naps now is if he falls asleep in the car whle we are out.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#10 of 12 Old 04-17-2007, 10:57 PM

We just stopped nap time, and what a change it was to have a quiet night instead of a hyper kid that won't go to sleep. It's been nice, but sometimes he still needs a nap, and there's nothing I can do to stop it. If we go for a car ride or stroller ride, he'll surely fall asleep and it is impossible to wake him up. I think we'll try to do just a short, early nap when needed, if possible. It's tricky, though!
#11 of 12 Old 04-17-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennica View Post
I have the same problem. Ds wakes up at around 8:00 to 9:00 am, then goes down for a nap around 1:00 to 2:00 and sleeps till 3:30 to 4:30! Then he wont go to sleep till 10:00, and that is after an hour of trying to get him down.
DD is pretty much on the same routine. Except that we don't try to put her to sleep. . .we just wait until she's tired around 9:30 or 10 to lay her down, at which point she goes straight to sleep. Of course we don't mind her going to sleep so late (I WOHM and the evenings are the only time I see her).

I understand that this schedule isn't working for you -- but maybe cutting out or shortening the nap should help? My opinion is that it isn't good to try to force sleep when a child just isn't tired. So instead of being frustrated that it takes an hour for him to go to sleep, I'd switch up naptime and see if you can get him so he's tired at the time you want him to go to sleep.

Mama to Boy (2) and Girl (5)
#12 of 12 Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 PM

DS is so similar! He's up at 6:30, on days he's home he skips his midday nap probably half the time, when he does he's asleep by 8:30, if he naps he will be awake till almost 10. He wakes up at the same time regardless of when he goes to sleep. Unfortunately he's in daycare and while our DCP is very gentle and wouldn't force anything, the other kids are all napping, so he always naps there. My sanity saver has been putting him to sleep in his own crib in his own room. Then, if he's awake for an hour playing it doesn't really affect me, though I still have to go in frequently to adjust his blanket, retrieve a toy or pillow that "fell" out of the crib. He still wakes up once during the night and comes to bed with us then. Works for us! most of the time...

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page