13 months old, won't drink from a sippy (water). (Update, we found a sippy!!) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 17 Old 04-16-2007, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My girl will not drink water. From anything. She'll play with a bottle, and *maybe* drink an ounce. She won't drink from a sippy cup at all. She sometimes drinks from an open cup.

Needless to say, she still nurses a lot. I'm not trying to get her to cut back on nursing, but to drink more water. She's not constipated or anything, but I keep hearing that once they are full on into solids, which she is, that they should drink half their weight in ounces. That's 10 ounces a day! I'm lucky if I can get her to drink 1 ounce!

Any suggestions?

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 04-16-2007, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi there! I dunno if you remember but my DD was born the same day as yours. I wouldn't worry at all! Avery has just these past couple days started drinking from a cup...and I mean a sip or two a day! As long as she's nursing well (which you say she is) it's fine!

~Marie: Mom to DS(17), DS(16), DD(14), DD(10), DD(8) & someone new on the way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 17 Old 04-16-2007, 10:43 PM

have you tried a straw?

#4 of 17 Old 04-16-2007, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
Hi there! I dunno if you remember but my DD was born the same day as yours. I wouldn't worry at all! Avery has just these past couple days started drinking from a cup...and I mean a sip or two a day! As long as she's nursing well (which you say she is) it's fine!
Hi remember! Happy belated birthday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millionmom View Post
have you tried a straw?
Yeah, she grabs it and tries to poke me in the eye with it. I was looking at cups that had straws the other day was wondering about trying one. Are their ones where the straw is fixed and can't be pulled out? She seriously just wants to play with the straw (and the nipple on the bottle). :

#5 of 17 Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 PM

Half their weight in water? That's a lot to us! Neither mine would go near a sippy but love a straw.
#6 of 17 Old 04-16-2007, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just keeo offering, ds was the same until around 15 mths, the he wanted to be a big boy and drink like us.
#7 of 17 Old 04-16-2007, 11:30 PM

Total BS on the water intake. Never heard that before. Dd LOVED water, but still she doesn't drink 10 oz most days.

Just let her have constant access and she'll drink what she needs.

-Angela
#8 of 17 Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 PM

My dd loves water, but no way does she drink half her weight in ounces. Just curious, where did you read that?

coolshine.gif

#9 of 17 Old 04-16-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
My dd loves water, but no way does she drink half her weight in ounces. Just curious, where did you read that?
i didnt see that part! thats outragous, they have to be meaning total liquid intake, not just water.
#10 of 17 Old 04-17-2007, 12:28 AM

We got a Nuby brand sippy cup that has a very soft silicone spout. Our daughter liked that a lot. I have a neighbor whose daughter went from breast to a regular cup- no sippies in between. It was messy at first, but she got the hang of it. And if it's only water...

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#11 of 17 Old 04-17-2007, 12:31 AM

the straw cups that we have you can't get the straw out. it's part of the cup basically! my dd def. did not drink a lot of water at 13 months. she only recently became into drinking both water and milk!

Dara Mommy to Gabbie (4/05) , Zachary (6/07) , and Simon (8/10)
#12 of 17 Old 04-17-2007, 01:28 AM

She's probably getting enough liquid from breastmilk. Just keep offering water and she'll drink it if she needs it. She knows what she needs.

Also she might just not like sippy cups. My DS won't drink from a sippy, he prefers regular cups and glasses like we use.
#13 of 17 Old 04-17-2007, 01:45 AM
Banned

Forget the sippy cup, just go straight to a regular cup. She will spill a lot at first but quickly get the hang of it. That is a lot of water for a nursing baby IMO.
#14 of 17 Old 04-17-2007, 01:49 AM

also, try taking the valuves out of the cups, ds wont drink from a non spill cup, i always take the vaulves out so water runs right out if he turns it upside down.
#15 of 17 Old 04-17-2007, 02:11 AM

I don't measure the amount of water that my DS drinks. Some days he drinks more and other days less.

As your DD is BF and not constipated, I wouldn't worry how much or how little water she is drinking. Just offer it to her and if she wants it fine, and if she doesn't no sweat.

I started to encourage DS to drink from a sippy cup when I noticed that he was taking great interest while I was drinking water from a cup. Until then he was drinking water using a straw.

So every time I had a drink I handed him a sippy cup with a little bit of water and we would both have a drink at the same time. I turned it into a game.

He took to drinking from a sippy cup quickly and easily. Infact he prefers the sippy cup now. He still wants to play that game occassionally when he sees me drinking. He goes looking for his sippy cup.
#16 of 17 Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
Here on MDC. I've come across it a couple time in the past few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmomazon View Post
We got a Nuby brand sippy cup that has a very soft silicone spout. Our daughter liked that a lot. I have a neighbor whose daughter went from breast to a regular cup- no sippies in between. It was messy at first, but she got the hang of it. And if it's only water...
I tried the nubby, she plays with it. That's it. The only water she gets is what comes out when she bites the spout. LOL

I'm thinking she's just gunna go from breast to regulare cup. That's fine. I just worried about her water intake, but I guess I don't have to be!

Thanx!

#17 of 17 Old 05-11-2007, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

We found a sippy cup that she likes. It's the "Born Free" brand from Whole Foods. Expensive, but she likes it, and actually drinks from it. Perhaps because the nipple is flattened and elongated.. just like mine.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page