Just turned 1, poo turned white! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-20-2007, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, today and yesterday DD's poo has turned mushy. I know typing this is really gross! Sorry! Up to now things have been regular (sorry for the pun) and not since leaving the baby stage....her poo is all soft and strange. And now almost completely white today!

Any other Mamas experience this? She hasn't had any other changes, or symptoms of tummy troubles. Is this just something they do as they get older?

TIA,

Kimber

Kimber vegan natural birthing RN mama to Harper 3 1/2 and proud Navy wife to Rory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
White???

Call your pediatrician!! This is not normal, and could be the sign of something fairly serious (as in no bile from the liver).

Odd colored poop (green, for example) is pretty common if a child eats a lot of a certain food or food with coloring in it, but white poop is not common.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 04-20-2007, 05:01 AM

when my DD#1 had the rotavirus her poo turned white, it also smelled.
Do get things checked out.
Kathryn
Old 04-20-2007, 11:36 AM

DD has had whitish/clay colored poop once or twice. I am going to mention it to her doctor next monday. But it usually only lasts one or two poops, then back to normal.

Done with diapers!!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Sometimes a person with a blocked bile duct will get white poop. However, they are usually quite painful - is your baby in any pain? I'd definitely call the ped...
Old 04-20-2007, 12:59 PM

DS had whitish poop for a few days a few months ago-- he also seemed under the weather then and we think it was a virus, but he went back to normal soon. I was concerned, though, but his poop was never totally white, though, just very pale... Could your DD have eaten anything strange (chalk, for example?)? Is she continuing to have white poo or was it just the once? If if yours is continuing to be white I would definitely call about it (could be hepatitis (not B, one of the others)). Hopefully it's nothing...

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:09 PM

i agree with the others who said you should contact your ped. good luck!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well the poop was white one time and only and I too was thinking liver, Hep A, etc. I have spoken with the Triage nurse and she is going to talk to the MD and call me back.

I'm trying not to freak out here but it's so hard! My Mother says it's what we do...we think of the worst possible thing. So not healthy. Her color has been kind of pekid (sp?) of late but I attributed that to the lack of sunlight and outside play with all of this freaky weather!

Ok....triage nurse just called back and said to "keep an eye on her". She says because she has no fever or vomiting or jaundice that she does not think she needs to be seen. Why am I not relieved? And the kicker is....we fly to Alabama (very far out of our network) for a month Tomorrow! Sigh.

Kimber vegan natural birthing RN mama to Harper 3 1/2 and proud Navy wife to Rory
Old 04-20-2007, 04:52 PM

Have you added anything new to her diet recently? I have seen some kids have white poo after eating a lot of dairy. Just a thought. I hope it turns out to be a fluke.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

We added Yo-Baby yogurt to her diet 3 weeks ago for it's probiotic benefits. I would have thought it would have done that at the beginning. Who knows.

Now I wonder, should I go ahead and fly tomorrow and risk having to pay huge MD bills being out of my network, or do I stay home. I really want to go, but I can't decide what is the best thing to do.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:06 PM

Did she happen to eat more of it than usual yesterday?
I would go ahead and go on your trip unless she starts exhibiting other symptoms.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, same amount as usual, in fact maybe a bit less. I think the trip would be really good for both of us. We don't know anyone here and my family and nephews are in AL. The weather is nice and we have plans for the beach. But then again, there is the exhaustion that comes with flying, new environment, sleep schedules all out of whack.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:30 PM

Could it be paper?

DS likes to eat his books when he's teething. I'll find chunks missing from the corners and at the next poop there will be whatever color the paper was (often skyblue.) Are you missing tissues? Could she have gotten hold of some? DS loves to sit there pulling them out of the box.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List