Crocs? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everyone in our neighborhood, young and old, seems to be wearing crocs. I'm thinking vaguely about getting some for ds (16mo): he wears his soft-soled ShooShoos most of the time, but he needs some summer sandals. Any opinions, good or bad, about crocs? How flexible are the soles? (He's a really good walker/runner/climber, but I still want something fairly flexible.) Would his feet sweat in them when the NC heat and humidity kicks in? Are they worth the $$? TIA

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 03:13 PM

In terms of simplifying life, yes, yes, yes. I got my kids some black pairs. They go with nearly everything, are easy care and my kids (2 & 3) love to wear them.

If I had the guts I hope I will simplify down to just having the kids wear the crocks plus one or two other pairs of shoes, but I have this shoe addiction ...
#3 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 03:17 PM

My 2yo has a bright blue pair and they are so comfy-he loves them. They are easy to walk in if you use the heel strap. I think they are really good shoes for toddlers in the summer!

#4 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 03:18 PM

i love crocs...i've had them before Crocs bought them (seriously, a nursing company AllHeart used to sell them) and still think they're the greatest most comfortable thing.

So if your DS can wear them at 16 months i say go for it. Do they make them that small? I'm trying to figure out a shoe solution for my 1 year old DS. I would do the barefoot thing, but we live in the city with no yard...and a city where there are pretty gross things on the ground...won't get into that.

We do barefoot at home...but we have a roof that is pretty pokey tiles, and then what to do for the park...if anybody has ideas that would be great, so i'll be watching this thread.

if you get them let us know how he likes 'em!
#5 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 03:26 PM

They seem like they'd be great for the kiddos! My little guy is 14mos and when his feet grow a little more, I'll be getting him a pair for sure!
I have a pair and love them.
#6 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 03:30 PM

My DD loves them, but they are constantly falling off. She's 2 1/2 and we couldn't find them small enough to fit her very well. They also cause her to trip because of the material they're made from. So, while she does want to wear them aaaaaaall the time, I think they will be better more towards the end of the summer or possibly even last year.
#7 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 05:00 PM

Not to rain on the parade -- but aren't those suckers made of petroleum product? I never wanted to buy them because of that.
#8 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 06:22 PM
kdf

My ds wears them and loves them. My mom saw a pair for my dd who is 6 weeks old so size 1. I am sure you can find a size for your dc.

Mama to Noah- 05, Eden - 07, Isabella -09 and Cade -11 

#9 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

I absolutely ADORE those things
#10 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 06:29 PM

DD has been wearing them since she was 1.5. They are very flexable!! We love them. Only problem is, I make charms for them and she keeps wanting me to make her new ones!!!

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#11 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
DD has been wearing them since she was 1.5. They are very flexable!! We love them. Only problem is, I make charms for them and she keeps wanting me to make her new ones!!!
Ooo...tell me more. Pictures?
#12 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Ooo...tell me more. Pictures?
They are soooo much fun. I actually had to buy a 2nd pair since I ran out of room on my first!!

Charms

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#13 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 07:07 PM

I originally bought them for myself as gardening shoes, and now everybody in the family has them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post
In terms of simplifying life, yes, yes, yes.
Definitely. I bought DS1's first pair a year ago when he was 3. At the time we were having lots of disagreements about shoes. The Crocs virtually eliminated all shoe fights. He could put them on his own feet and he LOVES them. They are almost always his first choice. I let him pick the color, too. The brighter colors are adorable on kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post
My DD loves them, but they are constantly falling off. She's 2 1/2 and we couldn't find them small enough to fit her very well. They also cause her to trip because of the material they're made from.
DS2 is 22 mos old and I was worried about them staying on his feet. He got his first pair about a month ago - they're the smallest size (6/7). I've noticed that stores often don't carry the tiny sizes. Nordstrom does, and the Crocs site does.

Also, the kids' Beach style is wider than the Cayman style. We all prefer the narrower fit of Caymans.

Sometimes I think they cause tripping. I haven't noticed that with DS2 but I did with DS1. But I think maybe they were just a little big on his feet?

One situation in which I don't like Crocs: playgrounds with mulch. The mulch gets into the holes and annoys the kids' feet. DS1 doesn't mind so much because he can fix it himself, but it bothers DS2, who is too young to work it out by himself.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#14 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 08:28 PM

My 17 month old dd LOVES her bright red Crocs. Normally, she only wears soft soled shoes but I decided to go buy a pair of Crocs so she would have a pair of shoes she could get wet when she plays at her water table. I found a pair at a local shoe store in a 4/5, but I think it is hard to find that size. I was worried she wouldn't be able to walk that well in them, but when she tried them on, she had no problems whatsoever. She loved them. She marched around the store so proud of these big red plastic clogs. It was hysterical and all the people in the store got a kick out of it. I had to let her wear them out of the store to avoid a tantrum. She admired them all the way home while sitting in her car seat..."shoe shoes! shoe shoes! shoes shoes." She actually boycotted her other shoes for a bit and insisted on wearing them everywhere. Thankfully after a couple of days, she decided her other shoe shoes were cool too.

coolshine.gif

#15 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the mary jane version, which I love and wear to work and clinicals.

I got DS a black pair of the kids caiman - he loves, loves, loves them. He can take them on and off by himself, they show-off the socks I hand-knit for him (), they have great ventilation ... DS has no problem running or climbing in them ... I was worried about them falling off, but we don't have that prob either. Maybe because we shrunk ours a teeny bit in the dryer?

Also, they have some new ones which have a more kid-friendly strap ... sheesh, they should be paying me commission.

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#16 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 08:38 PM

Both of my kids love them!

The smallest we could find in official Crocs brand was 6/7. That's what my 2.5 yo wears.

I bought my 18 month old niece a knockoff brand in size 5 at Babies R Us. Skeetchers also has small ones.

We love them. They are the BEST EVER potty training shoes!
#17 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I guess that's a yes, then? ds wears a size 7 (elephant feet!), so hopefully I'll find some in his size (and mine, maybe?!). Keep the testimonials coming!

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#18 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 10:09 PM

I bought some for ds2 (18 months) a few weeks ago and they are simply fantastic. I wanted something easy to put on/take off, and something that could easily be cleaned - we live on almost 4 acres and ds2 gets MESSY when he goes out! He has some that I found at the kid's shoe dept. at Dillard's (you can also find them at any Stride Rite) that have Mickey Mouse heads for the holes in them. Very cute!

A happy woman
#19 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 PM

Yes they are worth the $$$! We are on our second pair of crocs for DS and first pair for DH!
#20 of 25 Old 04-21-2007, 11:48 PM

After reading this thread, we took DS to a store that sells crocs and tried them... well, just like every other toddler shoe, his feet are much too chunky to fit in them (length wise he would fit well in the 6/7, but his high arches can't be crammed in them... the 7/8 just barely fit over his arches but they are waaay too long in the toes). I guess it's time to order some more custom extra wide soft star mocs, those are the ONLY shoe that fit him!
#21 of 25 Old 04-22-2007, 12:14 AM

When I bought my crocs, I was told that you should wear them bigger because they are plastic and do not stretch. I didn't believe the guy, but bought them the way he suggested. He was right.

Both my boys have wide feet, and I bought the slightly bigger as well. Same thing. Neither have trouble with tripping or falling or coming out of the shoes, and neither do I.

We LOVE them.

We want more!
#22 of 25 Old 04-22-2007, 01:51 AM

Payless has a knock-off (Airwalk?) that goes down to small toddler sizes. My son has loved his because he has been able to put them on/off since he was about 18 months. Now at 25 months he's decided that he likes to wear them with the strap up. He does get gunk in them sometimes, but it doesn't bother him too much (he also wears them with socks a lot). They're pretty flexible.....we're off to get the next size soon.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#23 of 25 Old 04-22-2007, 02:14 AM

I think a few pps here have mentioned not being able to get Crocs in a small toddler size, but they do make them from size 4/5. For some reason on their website they don't list that size on the page of the Kids Caymans, but if you select a color and then a size, there is the option for 4/5 all the way at the bottom. Like I mentioned earlier, we bought ours at a small local shoe store. I have never seen the 4/5 at any other store, so it might be easier to order online if you need that size.

coolshine.gif

#24 of 25 Old 04-22-2007, 03:04 AM

I got DS a 4/5 size at REI; they're so little and cute!! He wears a size 5 in toddler shoes, so I was thinking the 6/7 would be the better size to buy, but when he tried those one, they were huuuuuge on him!
#25 of 25 Old 04-22-2007, 03:17 AM

You can get a Croc like shoe called Airwalk at Payless as well. My DS actually did better in them because the footbed is just a little softer - still a firm shoe but a litte more cushion feeling inside.

They are also 1/2 the cost. We were able to get them in toddler size 3 and up.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page