2.5 yo legs and feet hurt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: For the past month my ds has been waking at least once a week and crying with his feet and legs hurting him. I cant pinpoint exactly were the pain is since he cant really tell me but I know it is something to do with his legs/feet because he wants me to rub them.

I was thinking they may have went to sleep but the pain seems to last well past the time it should hurt if this were the case. Then I started thinking growing pains. I remember they could really hurt. But another part of me is worrying something more is going on.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be or anyone BTDT?

It makes me so sad not to be able to help when it happens and this morning it seemed to be much worse than the other times.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007, 11:03 AM

I have a friend with a 4 year old that has been waking up a night screaming with leg and foot pain. She is a children's physical therapist and has checked him over and can't find any reason for it. One of the other symptoms he has is that he will all of a sudden just fall when walking, but can get up just fine and continue on his way. This past Friday she took him to a ped. neurologist to have him rule out anything significant. Because my friend is a PT, she's always on the lookout for neurological reasons - she doesn't think it's anything significant, but she's scratching her head because no one can find anything causing this pain. He's fine in every other sense, but the nighttime pain is very disturbing as are the falls.

I'll try to find out what the neurologist said and post again.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 AM

I always always always woke at night crying from the pain in my legs. It was a long phase I went through and my father religiously rubbed them...up and down with the palms of his hands until I fell asleep again. Now there are times where that is the only way my 20 mo. old will fall asleep. From what I understand it can be growing pains. I remember having them when I was a bit older. It felt like a dull ache in my whole leg.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 PM

I often woke up with pains in my leg as a child. My parents assumed it was growing pains. In college my sports trainer sent me to a podiatrist and I was fitted for orthodics. As it turns out my feet were causing my legs to hurt. Long story short, you might want to take your ds to an orthopedist or podiatrist. I will probably get my dd in to see one soon. For me it's important not to assume it's growing pains as that diagnosis caused me to be in awful pain for years. There were some nights that I couldn't walk downstairs to tell my parents how much I was hurting and get some tylenol. GL!! I hope you get it figured out soon.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:15 PM

Just to be on the safe side, you might want to get him worked up by a pediatrician, including bloodwork. Some serious diseases have leg pain or other pains like that as a symptom. Paranoia aside, it sounds like your son's leg pain is not overly intense, just nagging, and like others have said it reminds me of the kind of pains my brother and sister had when they were that age - they both had orthopedic issues and wore "special shoes" for a while, which corrected it.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

Old 04-24-2007, 07:23 PM

Another thought I had was it might be "restless legs" or leg cramps. Both of these can be caused or exacerbated by a calcium/magnesium deficiency. You might want to up foods with these nutrients in his diet, and see if that helps. Good luck!

Mama to M (7/05) and S (5/08) my surprise !!!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. If this continues much longer I will be taking him in to be checked out. The thing of it is they only hurt at night never during the day and I havnt noticed him falling at all. It starts out with him whinning in his sleep and moving his legs then he will half wake and cry and say ouch and have me rub them and usually he will go back to sleep but this morning was pretty bad.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 04-24-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
I have a friend with a 4 year old that has been waking up a night screaming with leg and foot pain. She is a children's physical therapist and has checked him over and can't find any reason for it. One of the other symptoms he has is that he will all of a sudden just fall when walking, but can get up just fine and continue on his way. This past Friday she took him to a ped. neurologist to have him rule out anything significant. Because my friend is a PT, she's always on the lookout for neurological reasons - she doesn't think it's anything significant, but she's scratching her head because no one can find anything causing this pain. He's fine in every other sense, but the nighttime pain is very disturbing as are the falls.

I'll try to find out what the neurologist said and post again.
This just really struck me because I've been reading this allergy book and that very exact thing you described was noted as an allergic reaction. This is the book:

http://www.amazon.com/This-Your-Chil...7451428&sr=8-1

I've found the information in it to be really life changing. I'm skimming for the case study right now - maybe it would be helpful to your friend. Okay, I found it -- it's about a little boy who tells his mom his legs are too weak to hold him up and falls down. It turns out he is allergic to wheat - a discovery they made by doing a simple elimination diet. According to this book, alot of allergies in children show up in ways different from how they would manifest in adults and the symptoms can be misleading.

Might be something to check out if nothing is coming up in a typical medical workup.

About to have 3 little chicks due with #3 Dec 15th
Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 PM

My mom took me to a podiatrist at about 2.5 because I was walking on the sides of my feet, predominantly, and she did some pt exercises with me to ease the pain and develope the muscles(consisting of running a acrd or her nail up the center of the palm of my foot, causing it to flex out, as well as tip-toe satnding, and ankle rolls)... what kind of shoes does he wear? Soft soles are good for kids that age, but if he's having pain, he might need a little more support. Also, he might be having growth spurts, which hurt as muscles, tendons, ligaments, and soft tissue may grow at different rates... a pediatric chiropractor would be able adjust his feet and ankles along with his hips and spine, gently, to keep him in alignment... we see one pretty regularly and dd has been loving it.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

90% of the time he goes barefoot the rest he is in cheap sandles or tennis shoes. The way he stands on his feet looks fine no watlking on the sides or anything like that. He may be showing signs of flat foot but his arch looks ok tho. His dad had flat feet.

It is very possible he is having a growth spurt. Some days he looks taller after he wakes up than he did the day before

Old 04-24-2007, 10:27 PM

sounds like growing pains to me....i use to get them soooooo bad when i was younger!

sounds like your doing the right thing!
Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 PM

Arnica gel really helps with growing pains. You can buy it at any GNC or the equivilant. HTH!
Old 04-24-2007, 11:44 PM

Maybe try buying him some better shoes. Crocs are really comfortable.

Also, as someone mentioned, not just ca/mag, but also anemia can cause restless leg which can cause leg pain.

There are lots of diseases that have leg pain associated with them, but the key is to not write something off to growing pains but not go off the deep end as far as testing for things that don't really fit.

User Tag List