*~*Holy Moly, they're THREE!! May 2004 Mamas in MAY '07!*~* - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2007, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the support, gals, it means a lot to me. Today I am taking the letter I wrote to the Director of the school. It's true, Jacqueline, I agree with the Health Dept being the bad guy here...my argument is
a) based on last time they came, and I signed the slip etc...why would they allow her to see the nurses, if they weren't sure, (one has to bring one's vax card, which I sure didn't)

and especially
b) Why didn't the teacher tell me what happened? either she lied, or didn't know, and I'm not sure which is worse. Especially if she noticed on her paperwork the next day or something, and still didn't tell me.

Sol seems to be pretty well now, although yesterday/last night was kind of hell. I felt the GAAAAAAH GET ME AWAY FROM HERE NOW! I'LL SCREAM IF I HAVE TO NURSE ONE MORE CHILD! kind of sensation that reminded me how far I've come--I used to feel that fairly frequently when I first had the two girls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 11:31 AM

sorry for chiming in late, here, but , elsanne. You have every right to be furious. Blatant disregard for a parent's choices is an unacceptable practice. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, and I sure as heck hop eyou can get somewhere with your correspondence.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:54 PM

what a bummer beth! i was up watching tv but our house was dark dark with all the lights off. it's the tallest one on the left side of the 2nd block coming from division. i am out running 10000 errands today so i'll give you a call and see if you're home. doug said he saw a great art easel at village merchant. time to buy birthday presents!

i think it probably is pupps. there are other bumps besides the ones in the snaking stretchmark map. gah. luckily it is only localized on the front of my belly and i hope it doesn't spread. i'll ask my doc tomorrow. and i put cortizone on it so i could sleep last night. it helped the itching but i still couldn't sleep innnnsoooommmnia!! ugh.

i have to say a warm cinnamon roll from grand central can really make a lady's morning
Old 05-21-2007, 02:55 PM

Wow, Elsanne. I'm so sorry. That would be highly illegal here, as in sue them and get them to lose licensing illegal. But I guess you're not here. (Jstar, your friend should be informed of this, and by the way, SORRY about the PUPPS!)

Zeke has informed me he wants to be called Ezekiel now. I don't know if he's just taking after his big bro in that dept. We'll see how that goes.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:01 PM

*phew* mamas. Sol was NOT vaccinated. See blog for details. I so, so, so appreciate your support and am a little embarrassed to be so wrong, but have never been gladder to be wrong. It was mega stress-crisis and now is mega relief.

What are PUPPS? Besides baby dogs?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:17 PM

Maybe my stereotype is wrong, but dude, you're in *Mexico*. I'd kind of expect that they might be lax about things. And I had a huge hissy fit on a nurse at our old ped practice in Berkeley when I thought (mistakenly) that she had given T the varicella vax against my clearly stated wishes. It's Mama's Job to assume the worst and Protect the Offspring. Personally, I think this just shows that you're doing a good job.

I got my little gardenettes all planted. I'm a little nutty, because they're in the front yard. I may have to construct a chicken-wire thingy to keep cottontails and neighbor dogs out. My next task is starting various and sundry wildflowers and ornamental grasses from seed. (I hope I haven't lost my touch.)

I *totally* spaced out Z's WCC this a.m. : I thought I was being so clever, biking the library books to return before the library opened (to avert a fine), but then the ped's office called and I realized what I had done. double :

Dh and I had major discussionolas this wkend about clutter/too much stuff/etc, and we're going to attempt a major purge (that makes us sound bulimic ). I did this (alone) in Feb, and I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll get rid of more CRAP this time since it's not just me. Anyone want to join me?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:54 PM

els: whew & hallelujah (sung to the tune of wussy-wuss-wuss, but with completely opposite sentiment) now breathe... ahhh...

kk: i will join you on the purge thing. we have a crapload of paper that is useless and unnecessary and i need a clutter clearing buddy or else i won't do anything except sit on my butt in front of mdc.

jstar: gotta see your belly again before you have a baby...

~claudia
Old 05-21-2007, 11:33 PM

elsanne-I'm so sorry you had to go through this! I'm glad Sol is feeling better, though. I would be very angry, too.

I've been trying to read each day, but with my mom here, we've been busy. Though, we didn't really *do* that much, we just kept busy. She left this morning, so we've had one day and night alone until dh returns tomorrow around noon. It will sooooo nice to have him back.

Well, I've got some other work to do now that G's asleep, so I'm going to go. But, I just wanted to check in.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:43 PM

Kids are happily eating popsicles (yes, even Jett) out on the front yard right now. Its the only way I could scrounge up a moment of peace for myself. Might end at any moment. Apologies in advance for my inevitably abrupt ending to this post.

Coming out of lurkdom for a moment. I've been laying low, reveling in one of my famous phases where I wonder, "should i be taking some sort of vitamin?", and I don't mean a multi-vitamin, if you know what I'm talking about, and I know my MMFs do. A lot of heavy hearted days for me lately. Must Shake Funk!

Oh, but I'm all about purging right now. I've done some major stuff in the past few months (I had some HORRIFIC areas of my house) and it's only inspired me to do more. More. MORE. I peruse the declutter forum here, but it's all a bit too gung ho for me. I am motivated emotionally, and can't really predict when I will hit that moment where I have HAD IT with an area. So the forum just makes me feel guilty for not doing it now.

mmmmmmmm..... cinnamon rolls.

gotta go.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:06 AM

It's Meg! Glad to see you back. I am sorry to hear you've been in da funk, 'course I automatically started singing in my head "We love the funk...gotta have that funk!"
Tha's me, gittin' down with my ethnic self.

First: do you have any time for you? Ever? In that small amount of time for you, are you able to exercise? I seriously would die without some exercise, because that's my vitamins. I KNOW I would be on vitamins if I didn't get my endorphins goin' on. I also know how hard it can be to overcome the physics law: an object in motion tends to stay in motion/an object at rest tends to stay at rest.

Thanks for the support, gals, and I really savored the morsel KK about it showing I'm being a good parent. One of my parental fears is of not protecting enough--Protecting the Gift really helped me get some more cojones about not worrying whether people like me or not when it comes to protecting my chillun. And really loved TC's wussy-wuss-wuss mention! Made me smile.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:54 AM

Elsanne- that is good news.

Jstar- fun hangin w/ you and dh for a few minutes tonight. Next time I'll remember to look for your house on the correct street.

Meg- I hope you're able to shake da funk one way or another.

We had a fun little par-tay for L this weekend, just the grandparents and two brothers. Very mellow. Today we had L's IFSP meeting (Individual family support plan- it's an early intervention thing). The meeting was hard/ good.

First the good: we met at L's future preschool. Since he qualified, he'll get free preschool T, W, Th from 8:15 to 10:30 am for the next 2 yrs. And if at some point I think he's ready, they'll even pick him up on the schoolbus. I looooooooove his teacher (it's this really mellow, kind, guy with long hair ) and the aids. L loved the classroom. He qualified as having a communication disorder, which means that he'll be eligible for services in gradeschool, too.

Now the hard: it was _really_ hard to sign a paper agreeing that my sweet perfect child is developmentally delayed. But I was there for the testing, and totally agree that the testing was an accurate representation of what L is able to demonstrate. I can't help second-guessing myself and wondering if feeding my child crappy junk food for 2/3 of his life has contributed to this. I was following the advise of "experts," and I HAVE tried to feed him other things as well. I nursed him till he was almost 3, but it's still hard to let go and accept that I am doing the very best that I can. L may have died if we had not gotten the tube or gone to the feeding team at all, and I just hope that I'll be able to eventually forgive myself for not being omnipotent, not knowing for sure what the right thing to do is.

L did awesome in expressive language- he's able to say so much now! But he was really low in receptive language- what he's able to understand or demonstrate. He also had a significant (1.6 standard deviations below the mean) delay in cognitive ability. This is mostly due to perseveration rather than IQ (he can't stop what he's working on to pay attention to a concept the tester is trying to convey). He also has a moderate social delay and an adaptive delay, but they were not as significant.

On his 3rd birthday tomorrow, I'm just going to try and focus on the wonderful, sweet, gentle, funny, loving, persistant, musical, curious, active child that he is, and leave all the analysis for another day.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:04 AM

oh fiddle, : and
he really is a "wonderful, sweet, gentle, funny, loving, persistant, musical, curious, active child" and you are the best & only mama for him. much love and gentleness to you...

more to say, but i am tiiiiiiiiie-erd...

~c
Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 AM

FF--I know what you mean about hard and seeing the stuff down on paper. C's biggest delays are gross motor/social and it was hard seeing some of the stuff come up at like 20 months, yk? Sounds like he has a good plan in place and sounds like the school/teacher will be a great fit. *hugs*

Bowling this morning for C's last EI OT session....

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
Old 05-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlefern View Post

Now the hard: it was _really_ hard to sign a paper agreeing that my sweet perfect child is developmentally delayed. But I was there for the testing, and totally agree that the testing was an accurate representation of what L is able to demonstrate. I can't help second-guessing myself and wondering if feeding my child crappy junk food for 2/3 of his life has contributed to this. I was following the advise of "experts,"
OH, sweet, sweet Fern-a-licious, my heart expanded upon reading this. My first thought is, you have worked so hard to do the right thing by your child, and if you hadn't done it that way, you'd be sitting here now wondering if you did it wrong as well, for going the other way. Second thought = whatever is, is; and while I can't alleviate mama guilt (indeed, have a hefty store of it myself) I tend to believe in things like karma (L came to this life to have this very experience) and that Everything Happens for a Reason.

Happy, Happy Third birthday to Fern-as-Mama and L-as-person!!! May you both enjoy yourselves, and celebrate L who he is today. I promise you that he leaves Sol's language ability in the dust. Every child (person) has their strengths!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:25 PM

((Fiddlefern)) Hugs to you and L! I, too, know on my heart of hearts that you are one of the most wonderful, try-as-hard-as-humanly-possible mamas I know. Please don't beat yourself up.

Meg- Good to see you! Sorry you are funkalicious. I hope it resolves soon; let us know if you need more troubleshooting.

Jacqueline - yay for papa coming home soon. I know that will be great.

I am about to leave for Chicago for 5 days on Friday - eeek! It will be the longest I've ever been away from Lily. Plus my friend who lives up the street/with us most of the time will be away, too, so poor DH will be Only Parent for 4 of those days. He is being a trooper and hasn't complained one bit. I am excited though because I am going to a big midwifery conference, the biggest CNM conference in the country, and with two of my good girlfriends, so it will be a good time.

Just have to get through the next 3 days...yawn.

Sarah
Old 05-22-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh, all this drama and I missed it! s you you, Elsanne, sweetie, and yeah, just be glad you were wrong! How crazeee! Hope Sol feels better soon!

Fiddle, to you too, mama. Wish I had more to say.

Actually, I REALLY wish I had more to say, but today is a rough one so I don't. Seems my child has lost his real voice, and so the Whine has come to replace it. Constantly.

And, we were going to see a movie this morning. He wanted to, I wanted to, it was the first time the lame Baby Pictures thing was going to play something even halfway appropriate (the third Shrek movie--I totally wanted to see it!) and so I figured, let's do this!
Well, he was chomping at the bit to go, he was all excited to hold the ticket once I bought it, and then...
He had a complete panic-attack meltdown as we entered the slightly darkened theatre. The theatre he spent TONS of his babyhood in (we used to go every week!) the theatre he used to run madly through, stopping only to nurse, eat a snack, and then run some more!
*sigh*

I tried calmly talking to him, showing him the (naughty!) popcorn I had bought for us to share, telling him he could sit in my lap and nurse for a while...nope. He wanted to run away. When I went back to the theatre to *get the diaper bag*, you would of thought I was forcing him to lie in broken glass. It was horrible.
Luckily, the woman at the front gave us our money back. The popcorn was left behind (I had to carry my sobbing child out of the theatre, I had no hands! Thankfully, the diaper bag is a backpack)

Now, I know "their fears are valid", I know it's "just a phase", I know all the things Im supposed to do and know, I do. Please don't be mad at me...
But I was livid. Furious at wasting the nearly-4-dollar-a-gallon gas, the 5 bucks for the popcorn, the TIME we could have spent doing something else other than have a big fat panic attack over a movie theatre that wasn't even dark (they keep the lights ON for Baby Pictures!) He ASKED to go to the movie!! I wouldn't have even spent the money if he hadn't seemed interested at first!
I don't even know why I lost it, but once I got us in the car and back on the way home, I totally freaked out. Sobbed on the phone to DH, could barely look in the backseat where my child was now happily talking to himself and playing with a notepad and crayon...we went home, I got him into the stroller and I went for a LONG, hard walk/run around the neighborhood. *sigh*

He's actually napping now. He needs it, I need it, and I need a nap so I am going to go try to get some sleep myself.

I DO know why I lost it. This whining/tantrum/completely unreasonable phase has lasted for weeks now, and I have nearly ground my teeth down to nohting, bitten my tongue to shreds, trying to maintain my patience through it, trying to be accomodating when he won't go to the child care at church and insists on disrupting the services upstairs (not so much for the other people, they love him, but DH and I cherish the time at church (or we DID) because it gave us time to focus a little on the outside while Rowan played with some other kids downstairs, WITHOUT US) and now church is an ordeal, even.

I've been trying to keep my cool through these past weeks but when this blowup happened, I *lost* it. *sigh* So I know why, at least.

Sorry, I'm thinking out loud. Maybe I should delete this, it's definitely not "MDC" talk.
Have a good day, mamas. I'll feel better when we've napped. Heh.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:56 PM

Fiddle, another hug from us. Don't second guess your parenting- you've done the absolute best job you could and you've been nothing but the best parent for your kiddo from the moment he was conceived. Just hang in there and keep doing the great job you're doing, and enjoy that "wonderful, sweet, gentle, funny, loving, persistant, musical, curious, active child" that you have.

And a big hug to renae too! I HATE it when the lentil creeps out on something that I thought we would actually enjoy doing. It drives me bananas- I would have been right next to you sobbing and calling my husband. But you handled it well- going for a long walk and taking a nap sound like good ways to settle some of the unsettlement. Maybe you could try the movie plan again this afternoon- sort of a getting back in the saddle after the horse has kicked you off approach. (does that make sense to anyone but me?)

We bit the bullet this morning and wrote the check for the playground set we're buying the lentil for his birthday. We ended up deciding to buy the one they have at Sam's club after driving all around Albuquerque and spending several nights on the internet. It was only slightly maddening. But that's a lot of cash, and it's pretty clear that money buys stability, you know? There was a point there where we were both trying to find reasons why we shouldn't spent $5,000.00 on a swingset. And then reason set in and we were back on track. And the good old MDC forums were very helpful in this decision, I must say. (that's like the friendly wink where you make little shootey hands with your pointer finger and click your tongue a little. Heeeey.)

And now? Write! That! Manuscript!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmama View Post
[COLOR=navy]Dh and I had major discussionolas this wkend about clutter/too much stuff/etc, and we're going to attempt a major purge (that makes us sound bulimic ). I did this (alone) in Feb, and I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll get rid of more CRAP this time since it's not just me. Anyone want to join me?
i'm on the bandwagon! i got $63 at buffalo yesterday selling clothes (a mega record for me...all the 'cute' clothes i bought doug that he won't wear) AND i took a whole load filling the back of my car to goodwill yesterday. i was a little irked when i got home and saw the coffee pot on top of the fridge that needs to go but i guess that's the start of the new goodwill pile.

i *really* need to declutter paperwork. and old magazines. i keep them thinking there are recipes or crafts things i'd like to try and i need to go through them and cut out those items. i have done that periodically but have hardly made a dent.

i also need to clean off our old computer and save the stuff i want and get rid of it! just waiting for my 'relaxing' materntiy leave. maybe i'll get to it in...november!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboClaudia View Post
jstar: gotta see your belly again before you have a baby...

~claudia
i'm surprised you can't see it in north plains

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlefern View Post
Jstar- fun hangin w/ you and dh for a few minutes tonight. Next time I'll remember to look for your house on the correct street.

I'm just going to try and focus on the wonderful, sweet, gentle, funny, loving, persistant, musical, curious, active child that he is, and leave all the analysis for another day.
it was fun to see you too and catch up. and enjoy Luke's day today!!! happy birthday luke he *is* such a sweet boy and you are both super sweet wonderful parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsarahb View Post
I am about to leave for Chicago for 5 days on Friday - eeek! It will be the longest I've ever been away from Lily. Plus my friend who lives up the street/with us most of the time will be away, too, so poor DH will be Only Parent for 4 of those days. He is being a trooper and hasn't complained one bit. I am excited though because I am going to a big midwifery conference, the biggest CNM conference in the country, and with two of my good girlfriends, so it will be a good time.
have fun with your girlfriends on your getaway! and good luck to DH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Faery View Post

Sorry, I'm thinking out loud. Maybe I should delete this, it's definitely not "MDC" talk.
Have a good day, mamas. I'll feel better when we've napped. Heh.
hey babe venting is always good. i'm sorry rowan freaked at the movie theater!! i want to take isaac to see shrek since he has mega love for the ogre. he hasn't been to a movie yet except kennedy school where he was oblivious to the fact that there was a movie screen because it is a big school gym.

PUPPS is some itchy rashy pregnancy bumps thing. i don't think it is pupps anymore. the itching has subsided. THANKFULLY. well at least...it is still itching but not insanely like this weekend. i started putting eucerin on it. the thickest globby stuff possible!

i am sleepy. i'm at work. i finished all my projects and i don't want to start anything new!!! and no one else is here. i could possibly die of boredom.

exciting news: isaac wore underwear to school yesterday with no accidents and he's wearing em again today! and he wore them all weekend too. i think it is finally clicking for him. we had a scary excursion out and about for shopping and lunch on sunday and i forgot to pack any changes of clothes (the scary part!). and he did well. phew.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:21 PM

jstar--watch you rockin' your multiquote thang! yay for undies! boo hiss on the unfun variety of pupps.

renae--we quite nearly had that for bowling today, but tg she is always stoked to see her OT. C can definitely be a : when she wants to. Sorry the plans went awry!

KK--totally in with you for the decluttering thing. I have to huge containers of stuff to sell/give away that I plan on doing next weekend and then some other major clearing to do in the attic. I think I'll have to start doing a #/100 count in the siggy or something....but lord knows I have more than 100 things to get rid of! :

EL---we just decided to get the girls a Step 2 backyard swingset monstrosity as well and I multiplied out having it for at least 5-6 more years of heavy use and then likely a good bit of fort/playhouse action after that... and then sell it on craig's list perhaps so we went for it. Good luck with the assembly! Part of the reason I went w/ the step2 is that DH is not so very handy.

C bowled a 63 today! It was very cute and her little friend from food group had a blast too. Talked to his mom and we might join the community pool so they can keep hanging out over the summer. It's just down the street from us and we can just take the stroller over.

Really should get to making my packing list for the weekend. Last trip we forgot C's prilosec and that was bad news for sure. : :

Old 05-22-2007, 03:58 PM

pssst heather...what kind of snap press did you get and where? i want something with big plastic colorful snaps. and i looked at a joann superstore and got this flimsy little thing with metal snaps. and i am not digging it. i haven't looked anywhere else yet but was wondering if you have words of wisdom

go C on the bowling score!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:03 PM

Jstar---I bought mine from Serena who has a YG and mails direct from China. I think it took about 2 weeks and was around $100. It's a Kam snap press. I know the OSDS/diaper shop has them, but those snaps aren't compatible. I would ask around your diaper sewing friends and see if anyone has one you could borrow. You could just buy your snap parts and borrow it for an afternoon and have a snapping par-tay. Snapping is addictive. E would tear off her bibs until I replaced the velcro w/ snaps. She was not too happy with me!

Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM

just call me miss postypants today....

any trike recommendations. We've held off getting one because C is just not that coordinated, but we found a new park today that has a paved path around the play area and that might inspire her. She's on the tall-ish side 39+ or so and some of the ones just look too small to last long... Any suggestions?

Old 05-22-2007, 04:49 PM

Heather, have you thought of just going the bike route? I thought Mia wouldn't be ready for one yet, but she tried one on yesterday and it seemed a better fit than a trike. I was impressed with how steady the training wheels were, so essentially, it's not much different than a trike, but will last longer.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:50 PM

thanks for the tip i don't have any diaper sewing friends tho (yet!) but i'm going to join that yg and check it out

when isaac turned 1 we got him a radio flyer trike. it is pretty tall and i think will fit for a loooong time. (and was really WAY too big for him back then...we totally jumped the gun). he's big enough for it now and can pedal well, but it seems pretty tippy. like when he goes off the curb ramps into the street i am sure he is going to die each time. (he is pretty good at checking himself with his feet though.) i have to say the plastic bigwheel seems safer to me so far. he is jammin on the bigwheel. (lower, more stable) but they have various tricycles at school and he loves those too. i have to admit i'm discouraging him from taking his trike when we go on walks around the neighborhood because i think it is tippy with the curb ramps but in a big open playground they're great fun. then again he has already flipped his bigwheel over on top of himself. luckily without injury (and we insist on the helmet).

my biggest fear with the bikeriding though: cars pulling out of driveways. why do people plant hedges up to the sidewalk so they have pull their car out ONTO the sidewalk to see if the street is clear????? the sidewalk might not be clear of short toddlers on bikes!!! isaac now rides along going 'no car in that driveway. no car in that driveway' i'm just having a hard time keeping up with him now on the downhills.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Not a lot of time, I gotta get ready for work.
Thank you all for your thoughts. I was pretty distraught, but after an almost-3-hour nap (!!!) we are both much better. A little Blue's Clues doesn't hurt either.

jstar, you mentioned buffalo...do you mean Buffalo Exchange, the SUPER-rad used clothing store I always have to hit when I am in SF? *wistful sigh* I MISS that place!

Okay, less time than I thought. UGH, the Whine still exists, I'm just better rested and i Know I get to LEAVE in a half-hour.

(oh, and I still have NO IDEA what to get Rowan for his birthday. We're actually considering a purge ourselves! haha)

Old 05-22-2007, 07:07 PM

el--seriously, 5k dollars???? WOW! That must really be an awesome playset! The great thing about 2 kids, you can always justify purchases like that.
How have you been feeling, preg-wise?

Renae, good to see you back! I think you & Rowan need a break! That scene would have flipped me out too--just when you think you're doing something good, and right, well, toddlers have OTHER IDEAS. Gah.

Jstar I went nuts on the diaper sewing discussions, there are so many and they all have the most awesome ideas. You will definitely find a good snap press recommendation among them. You were cute, all workin' the multiquote thang. And YAAAAY FOR panties I mean undies on the little one!!!

Heather we too have the Radio Flyer trike and Sol loves it, lives on it some days. She and Camille could not be more opposite in terms of skills--Camille could like, defend a dissertation whereas Sol is still chopping up sentences into cole slaw. I like the idea of a bike already, like MMeg says. I have also been toying with the idea of an old-skool BIG WHEEL, because I sure had fun on those things as a young'un. No Big wheels to be had down here, though, I'll keep my eyes open 'cause you never know.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:14 PM

jstar: i know TWO local diaper sewin' mamas with snap presses that I'm sure they'd let you borrow.

both boys currently napping in the car in the garage after a fun impromptu play meet up at the park. mama scarfin' down some lunch and catchin' up on the readin' here...

my new fave sweet snack: coconut bliss ice cream -- no dairy, just coconut milk goodness & tiny bits of coconut.

for M's birthday, i had my friend make him one of her capes: http://www.panjokids.com./

and i got him the deluxe edition of all the laura numeroff books (if you give a mouse a cookie, if you give a pig a pancake, if you give a moose a muffin, etc.)

contemplating what else we are going to get for him, but that may be it for now.

and we are having his first ever birthday party. didn't have one for 1 year old, didn't have one for 2 years old, but now he knows what they are and he's way excited for his special day. and i've been showing him how to hold up 3 fingers to show old he's going to be.

~claudia
Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 PM

baby precariously perched, but sleeping on my shoulder...

I just spent several hours, between today and yesterday, catching up. It's rough reading all at once...specifically Els and the vax situation sent me over the edge only to be deeply relieved a few minutes later.

We went to the russian river this past weekend (my birthday present from
Alison) with our friends Paul and Scott. They are officially moving to Vermont...damn them...if you want to see pictures of thier new house...double damn them...checkout www.thegerb.net. I really have to figure out how to fold the US in half so I can live closer to those I love.

Fiddle, I agree with what everyone else has said - you have done everything you could have for your little guy and it doesn't help to second guess your path. I think it does help to focus on his fabulousness because that is clear - you have a fabulous kid in large part because you are a fabulous mom.

We are getting E a bike with training wheels for her birthday. She is totally ready to roll!

Much more to say, but I have to go mow the lawn. Being the SAHM is fun, but it means that I have to use my childfree moments to finish all the other tasks I can't get to during the day. Alison is home now and the little one is happily nursing.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:27 PM

lisa---glad you're finding your groove at home. Can I borrow them as friends....I mean, I'll be closer to them now and all. The house looks beautiful!

Claudia---ooooh....coconut milk ice cream sounds divine!

*yawn*

Old 05-22-2007, 09:34 PM

We had Z's bday playgroup today (did the family stuff on Saturday, the actual day). Lots of fun, plus pineapple upside down cake! We're not going to do an "official" bday party (with invitations, more "organized"--ha--activities, etc.) till next year.

Beth... I'm just so glad that you are L's mama. (And happy birthday, little dude!!!!) You have helped him *so* much. I read a lot of self-judgment into your comments about the food--you've just been trying to feed him--no perfection necessary. (I know that food is important, but I've come down off my high horse because of Z.) I think things are murky, and you're doing the best you can with the information and resources you have. (And you're doing a great job of it.) My mother has remarked with awe at how incredible EI is (compared to *nothing* 35-40 yrs ago) and has wondered how it might have made my bro's life better if he had gotten help earlier--just think about *that*.

Meg, s to you. I hope that this is not family related (how's your mil doing, by the way?). Maybe you should have a popsicle, too.

Sarah, have *fun*!!!! Do you have any penance to do when you return?

Jacquie, enjoy your mom's visit!!

That ice cream sounds tasty, TC.

Lisa, can you mow my lawn, too? I wish my bf hadn't moved to Oregon... I can empathize.

Heath--I was thinking big wheel, too. It's got a low center of gravity, a stable seat, and wide wheels. And a 63--wow!! I think I bowled a 63 the last time I went. :

Jess, it seems so cruel that one can be pg and super itchy (as if being pg isn't enough). And on the undies.

Renae, so sorry about the movie. It's okay to lose it. (And it's okay for him to lose it, too.) What you wrote *so* reminded me of T at this age. No advice, just .

Random hellos to Nuggets, Juice, and Els.

We haven't actually gotten Z anything for his bday yet (. But he's gotten something from the 3 grandparental units and my aunt, so it's not like he's gotten nothing. Writing this reminds me that I need to call the children's consignment store (right now) and ask to be put on a list for a dollhouse.

Dh built our playset, EL, and it was a lot of work (I think pre-assembled is a good idea ). The kids play on it every day. We're hopefully going to add some monkey bars to it this summer. One thing I can say: make sure you have the right material underneath in the right depth--dramatically increases safety.

Re decluttering--I can't really do that #/bigger # thing, because it's hard for me to keep tabs. What really counts as an item? : Last time, I pledged I would fill the (previously empty) closet in the guest room, then get rid of the stuff. Volume was more important to me. I guess I'd have to make the same pledge again. (And we have a small pile started in there.) I think I mostly just want sympathetic souls to talk about this with. One thing I've slowly been doing over the past several years is letting go of books (not kids books, though). I read a *lot*, but of my own books, there are only so many that I'm really going to reread and reread. I'm a big library user, so I try to think of that being my extended bookshelf (only it's more organized and I don't have to dust it ). When we moved back to CO from CA, I think we sold ~10 boxes of books and donated 10 more. And there's more to go, though we're reaching an end to that. It's a little hard for me, in a way, because I think I see books as a "status" thing. I've also decided to pack away (and hopefully part with) any "knick knacks" which have no meaning to me. My grandmothers (and my mother) are Collectors of Crap, and it gets passed to me, and I feel a little guilty parting with it. But what I *should* feel is resentment that it gets passed to me and somehow, they think I should be obliged to keep it. :

User Tag List