Rice Milk Toddler Warning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why would the rice milk (rice dream brand) that i purchased for my children say that I should consult a doctor if I am intending to give it to a child under 5. Is there something I don't know about rice milk that I should? Any help on this would be great.

thanks!

Jen

Jen
Homeschooling mom to A 16, P 15, S 10, L 8 and S 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 04:42 PM

That it shouldn't be used as a source of milk in a toddler's diet because it isn't a source of protein or fat. Or anything else if you don't get the fortified kind.

We give some to dd in baking, etc. because she's dairy intolerant, but it shouldn't be used as your child's dietary milk at this age.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 05-01-2007, 04:42 PM

i think this is because some parents will use it in place of dairy, possibly thinking rice milk provides the same nutrients as animal milks.

The two are not the same, so they are probably just covering themselves but telling you to ask your doctor about it first.

I know rice milk contains a lot more sugar and less protein and fat than animal milks do, and you would want to be sure your child is getting everything they need.

I'm no expert though, this is just something I think I heard before.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:43 PM

Because it is not an adequate substitute for infant formula or whole milk for toddlers (rice milk doesn't have a lot of nutritional value at all, actually) so they don't want people deciding that they can use it as a primary food source for their little babies and children. (I know that not everyone gives their toddlers milk and I don't want to get into that--I think that probably the least educated mom on here about nutrition is probably still about three times more knowledgable and conscious than the general population and will be insuring that their kids get calcium and good fats from other sources.) It's a liability thing. I'm sure that the occasional consumption of rice milk is fine for a child, I wouldn't make it a dietary staple though.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

My kids get most of their protein and fat from nuts, cheeses and whole milk yogurts. We were using skim milk so the fat in the rice milk is actually higher. The rice milk is also fortified with A, D, B12 and calcium. We only use milk for cooking (sometimes), dry cereal and occasional glasses of milk to drink. I just hate cow's milk and don't really want them drinking it either (said toddler is almost 3.5 years old). My youngest exclusively breastfeeds. I believe what I am hearing from everyone is that if i choose a milk alternative, I need to make sure they get the protein they would be missing and be aware of the extra sugar.

thank you for all of the information!

Jen

Jen
Homeschooling mom to A 16, P 15, S 10, L 8 and S 2.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Not just protein, the fat is important, too. If they're getting it in other forms, that should be fine.

User Tag List