Ideas to occupy 3 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My older ds has karate lessons for a half hour 2x a week. My 3 yr old would very much like to join the fun but he is too young. I run myself out chasing him around trying to keep him entertained. It's too hot to sit in the car unless I idle it with the air on and I don't want to. There is a lobby we can sit in so that he does not have to actually see the other kids.

I need some new and creative activities for a very short attention span little boy.
#2 of 8 Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 PM

I've had a similar situation with my younger guy when the older one was in occupational therapy and all the younger one wanted to do was to go in and jump on the trampoline.

a box (maybe kept in the car) with books and toys that only come out on that day could be really useful.
#3 of 8 Old 05-21-2007, 10:48 PM

Sticker books, it's worked for us HTH
A company called Phidal makes great ones, BN also has a few good ones, under the publisher name backpack books... on animals, dinausaurs, vehicles, animals
#4 of 8 Old 05-21-2007, 11:48 PM

Sticker books work well for us. I like to have lots of different ideas and swap them out.

Try these other ideas.

HTH

Playing one day at a time
#5 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

Please tell me I'm not the only one with a high energy, stubborn, independant, must see and touch everything, 3 year old.
#6 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We have a travel magna doodle thing which goes most places with us. Sticker books are also good and I like the look of hte magnetic ones as they should last longer. I haven;t tried them yet though.

DD is just starting to get into story tapes so maybe a walkman would work. Move novelty value than you reading I imagine.

ETA action songs work well for DD when we are in small spaces, keeps her moving without running around too much. Sometimes we sing really sloooooowly or as fast as we can.
#7 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 01:02 PM

Sticker books, magnet books, coloring books.
I second the idea of a travel magna doodle. They have been lifesavers for us on long car rides or on a plane.
Playdough. Finger puppets. A special snack (depending on what time of day it is).
This may not work if other people are in the lobby, but my 3 year old's favorite activity to do lately is hiding and finding easter eggs. I bought a bunch of plastic eggs on sale after Easter, but you could hide just about anything - small cars, etc. Along the same lines, play I Spy (something red, something that's a circle, something that begins withthe letter B).
I really like the idea of singing action songs. Keep a list of various songs to sing with you. (I know that my mind always goes balnk in the moment.)
#8 of 8 Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
Thank you.

Please tell me I'm not the only one with a high energy, stubborn, independant, must see and touch everything, 3 year old.
no, i've had two of them

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page